| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Talk to me about Canker sores
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I used to get them in droves when I was in middle and high school. I got a few here and there in college and through my late 20s. This morning I woke with seven...YES SEVEN in my mouth.

I have yet to find a doctor on my insurance taking new patients that isn't booked through the year. I suppose I could call my uncle to prescribe the antiseptic I took as a kid but I know it has loads of nasty stuff in it I don't allow in my body anymore.

Sadly, I can't think of anything I've eaten that would have triggered them. Usually they occur after a lot of orange and pineapple eating, a lot of fried foods or from some other issues I had as a kid. None of this has happened. I know last week was super stressful and emotional but seven canker sores? Really?

So far I've just kept to green tea/tea tree oil and sea salt rinses. But this is painful and I have a fever from them. Joy.

Post subject: Re: Talk to me about Canker sores
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:14 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I was going to say to let canker sores heal themselves, but seven are too many. First of all, sorry about the pain.
Second of all, the first two remedies on this website work for me. http://dentistry.about.com/od/basicdentalcare/f/cankertreatment.htm

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:17 pm 
Semen Strong

Ouch! Poor you! I hope you feel better soon!

Alum works really well for my partner - it sucks the fluid out and lets the sore heal. And if you're prone to them, take lysine as well.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:21 pm 

Is milk of magnesia vegan safe? I know we used to make a paste out of that and benadryl for me when I got my "gardens of canker". As a teen I frequently had upwards of 10 at a time all so I named them my gardens.
I think I recall taking a pill daily when I was in middle school that my aunt got me and it got rid of them. Must have been lysine.
I haven't read up on these and always just did what mom and uncle or aunt told me to do...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:28 pm 
Semen Strong

That sounds so painful! My partner gets them as a side effect of his medication if he doesn't take lysine. If he gets those "gardens" he pretty much can't sleep.

Hope you feel better soon. As Autumnleaves points out, the saltwater rinses should give you some relief as they dry out the sores somewhat...

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:47 pm 
A Bad Person

I am a glutton for pain. I get a canker sore probably once a month. I typically treat them with listerine or applying salt directly on them with a wet q-tip. I do not recommend this unless you have a very high threshold for pain.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:53 pm 

brian wrote:
I am a glutton for pain. I get a canker sore probably once a month. I typically treat them with listerine or applying salt directly on them with a wet q-tip. I do not recommend this unless you have a very high threshold for pain.

I forgot this is why I used to eat salty foods like crazy in middle school! I just used the listerine and stabbed one and although my eyes are watery now it's not throbbing in my jaw anymore. Nice. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:47 am 
Chip Strong

lysine and the milk of magnesia/liquid benadryl rinse help me a lot.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:19 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

brian wrote:

This is my method. Brilliant horrible pain for a moment or two and then a bit of relief.

Putting cinnamon on them has the same effect and you can create a barrier with the cinnamon. Warning: grip the sides of the counter or something before you try this at home.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:27 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

another thing that helps me when i get them is to use verbena or lemon balm- get a leaf, bruise it up really well, and let it be in contact with the sore as long as you can take it.
and try to control your stress! i get at least one when i travel every year, it's like clockwork and even worse, it's my own damn fault.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Make sure your toothpaste is free of SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate I believe).
I used to get these a bunch but I read that switching toothpastes helps.
And I did.
I haven't had one in years!

The sls I think causes small cuts in your mouth. It's worth reading up on since lots of toothpastes have SLS.

"One day you'll see, when tofu takes over the world because tofu can be anything it wants to be!" -bekki

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:36 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

My mother always told me that canker sores can be a sign of not getting enough Vitamin C... I haven't had one since I started taking vitamin C regularly a few years ago. I don't know if that's coincidence, but it's worth trying? (Though be careful, acidic things can really sting them!)

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]