| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:53 pm 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7079
Location: Fort Drum NY
Help me! I've been asking doctors about these for years and they usually just shrug at me. I had one doctor tell me it's dishydrotic eczema, but I've googled, and I don't believe it.

Last night and this morning my knee felt too warm - these always feel warm - and sure enough, there they were.

Image

At the time, my right foot looked like this (with flash):

Image

...and my left foot was about the same.

As of 5 minutes ago, they look like this:

Image

They don't hurt or itch but they're warm. They blanch when I touch them. They are raised a tiny bit. They seem to come more in the summer and sometimes when I wear flip flops, the majority of the bumps match up with the flip flop material, regardless of flip flops. They last a few days to a week. I sometimes get them on my thumb, pointer finger, or palm.

Anyone have the same problem and/or know what it is? I really hate them.

Thanks!

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:20 pm 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:47 pm
Posts: 114
Location: Toronto, Canada
Wow, my first thought was bed bugs, but then I read that you've been getting these for years. I can't believe your doctor won't take this serious? have you shown them photos like these? They really shouldn't be just brushing this off.
To be honest with you, though, the first picture looks a lot like the heat rash I got this summer. It appeared in my armpits (yikes! gross, I know). I did like the hotline nurse told me too (yes we have this nurse hotline thing in Canada, very good for iffy do-I-see-a-doctor-or-not situations) and ran them under as cool as I could stand it water in the shower. She also recommended to make sure to be exfoliating trouble areas when it's hot so that the pores aren't blocked and the sweat can escape without causing the rash.
That's what I would suggest looking into, or asking your doctor about. I hope that helps?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:17 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:12 pm
Posts: 3831
Location: Canberra, Australia
Yeah, that's definitely not dyshidrosis. I have a pretty mild case of it on my hands from working for a certain coffee chain that made everyone use this horrible chemical sanitiser every day. Apparently a lot of people ended up getting it.

I have no idea what you have. I'm not helpful. They look like bites to me.

_________________
Recipes. Rants. Raunch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:32 am 
Offline
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1644
Location: Brisbane, Australia
That's horrible! Take those photos to a new doctor if you can!

It could be a bite of some kind, or maybe you are allergic to dustmites or something in the garden, a plant or insect? I'm not sure. Sometimes my body looks like that when I get lots of mozzie bites (mosquito bites for the non-Aussies in the room), I react with lots of swelling and they love to bite me for some reason. Do you have biting ants?

_________________
Mel makes vegan food


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:10 am 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7079
Location: Fort Drum NY
There are fire ants in the area but I haven't seen any in awhile - I don't think it's the time for them yet.

I'm taking pics of the progression. I'll see my doc soon (or, a doc - I've never met my assigned doc) and if they don't know I'll ask for a dermatologist.

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:26 pm 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7079
Location: Fort Drum NY
Okay. I'm calling them hives and/or dermatitis herpetiformis.

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:27 pm 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7079
Location: Fort Drum NY
http://www.umbrella-d.com/lifestyle/194 ... c-disease-

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:33 pm 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:26 pm
Posts: 71
Location: Central NJ
That's pretty much what my bed bug bites looked like, but it wouldn't' make sense that you only get them sometimes. Good luck figuring it out!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:40 pm 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7079
Location: Fort Drum NY
Oh yeah I've been getting these for years on and off at random.

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:21 am 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:54 pm
Posts: 1496
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oh! It's been too long since the PPK played "guess the rash!"

_________________
NO MORE DRUG WAR


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:35 am 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7079
Location: Fort Drum NY
That's what I figured :D

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:05 pm 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7079
Location: Fort Drum NY
i'm playing guess the rash with myself again! it's back and it's worse than usual. i started doing an "all raw except for a cup of coffee a day" thing 10 days ago and to read the raw forums it'd say that i'm detoxing and having a "healing crisis" but my left hand hurts and this is day 3 of the rash i think. left hand, right knee, right foot, teeny bit on my left foot.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001872/ makes it seem like contact dermatitis from an allergen but i'm not using anything new but i am trying like hell to think if that's not true. i've been having more nuts, being raw and all.same lotions, same hair stuff (but one of my shampoos has wheatgerm and i'm gluten sensitive so i stopped using that one yesterday).

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:46 am 
Offline
Seagull of the PPK
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:46 pm
Posts: 8513
Location: Brasil
Do you by any chance have a latex allergy? Reading what you said about flip flops and on your hand and thumb, you can find latex/rubber in all sorts of stuff. The way it sits on your foot and knee i thought you could have kneeled on a fake leather thing (easy with kids in the house) or on a bed with a waterproof liner or something.... or put on a pair of crocs or synth shoes...
when is the last time you blew up a balloon or touched a rubber glove? did you have a reaction right away?
my kid had latex allergy and her skin reactions looked a lot like that. and it was hot. What do the spots look like after they go away? do they peel or just disappear?
and just BTW latex is forking EVERYWHERE. also things like mangoes, cashews are in the same family, do you do well with eating them?

_________________
Buddha says 'Meh'.--matwinser
I'm just a drunk who likes fruit. -- Desdemona


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:20 am 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7079
Location: Fort Drum NY
huh. that's an interesting thought! sometimes the spots get a little peel-y. also we use latex condoms and i've never had them trouble me. i do have crocs that i wore yesterday morning (to take out the trash) and all of our mattress pads are waterproof. i wore some of my cheap plastic-y flip flops last week sometime. Livi has a balloon we were playing with a few days ago. i've never had a problem at a doctor's office though.

dear heavens i love mangoes and i did just go through a bag of frozen ones and I've been using more cashews. That's sad. I hope that's not it.

thanks! I'll try going without some things for a few days and see. right now there's a patch at the bottom of my left palm toward my wrist and when it swells a little you can see the pulse in my wrist. i've been moisturizing and using a hydrocortisone cream.

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:30 am 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7079
Location: Fort Drum NY
oh also i've had a skin test for common allergens and i tested not allergic to anything, which is weird because I'm sneezy year round and take a generic zyrtec every day.

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:09 pm 
Offline
Double double, toil and trouble
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:24 pm
Posts: 324
Location: Boulder, CO
My stepmother gets intermittent hives breakouts that like an awful lot like what you have. She doesn't have any known allergic reactions-- they just come about at random, and sometimes during periods of intense stress. Hers are usually on her face and neck, but I wonder if you might be experiencing the same thing, particularly since they're recurring.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:59 am 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:35 pm
Posts: 1518
Location: Boston
Is it possible that it's a niacin flush? This would happen if you get a lot of B-vitamins (ie, a supplement with a lot of them in there?) My mom gets something similar when she eats nutritional yeast.

_________________
http://vegetalion.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:43 am 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7079
Location: Fort Drum NY
okay "niacin flush rash" on google images was not helpful but did have a still porn shot. hmm. i take the same vitamin all the time - i mean, i forget sometimes, and i stopped for about 2 weeks because I was getting heartburn when i was taking that with my new migraine preventative but i did just take another one a few days ago. an interesting thought, thanks!

chop, i'm definitely stressed, so maybe!

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:40 am 
Offline
ol' garly cooch
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 2828
Location: Kashyyyk
That kind of looks like ringworm, which is a fungal infection. Do you have lots of yeast infections? Many people have a fungal infection systemically which makes the rash come and go. What did the doctor say again?

It could also be shingles, which is adult chicken pox. That can be recurring and is treatable with some antiviral meds.

Lastly, another thing comes to mind: foot and mouth disease. It runs rampant among daycare centers, so your lil' one could have brought it home. Do you have a sore throat with this or mouth sores?

Let me know if I'm the lucky winner.

_________________
I'm not dead, just sick.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:14 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:51 am
Posts: 1087
Location: Minnesota
That't what my hands looked like for years every single morning when I'd get out of bed, some days it would even be on my chest, arms, and legs. By the end of the work day my feet would look like that. I kept thinking it was bugs of some kind. It took me three years to figure it out (and my allergist was no help at all). I had developed a sensitivity to dairy. Not a true allergy as I didn't react right after consuming it, but within two days of quitting eating it the hives went away. After months of that I had some dairy and woke up the next morning with them again. I had to figure it out on my own as my allergist had even told me there was no way it was a food allergy.

I would typically get them on the warmest parts of my body, so I had them on my hands because I tucked my hands under my pillow at night, and then my feet at the end of the work day because of the warmth and pressure of my shoes. During bad flare-ups if I scratched myself for any reason I'd get hives in straight lines along the entire area I had just scratched. Interesting since you said the hives follow the patterns of your flip-flops.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:22 am 
Offline
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:14 am
Posts: 117
I have suffered from intermittent hives similar to yours for several years now - along with intermittent edema in the feet/ankles. I have not felt like myself in a while but figured I was just out of shape or getting old...just recently though, I developed a swelling in my throat that was very noticeable and so went right away to the doctor. Turns out that I have a thyroid imbalance due to autoimmune thyroid disease. Makes the immune system wacky and can commonly cause new food allergies, increase of intensity of existing food allergies, etc. I've complained about this for years to docs, but they never put two and two together (along with symptoms like my dry eyes and edema). Yet the endocrinologist tells me that unexplained hives, "idiopathic uticaria" I think it is technically called, are commonly caused by thyroid disease. They went away when I started thyroid meds...if I am late taking a pill, they start to creep back. So possibly get your thyroid checked?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:22 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 pm
Posts: 1868
Location: NC
appifanie wrote:
oh also i've had a skin test for common allergens and i tested not allergic to anything, which is weird because I'm sneezy year round and take a generic zyrtec every day.


By skin test, do you mean like a prick test where they look for common ingested/smelled allergens or a skin test for topical/contact allergens? The contact dermatitis test is three big stickers on your back that you have to wear for 3 days without getting wet.

My spots looked incredibly similar, and were slightly raised but usually itched. I posted this recently, but here's the company who makes the test I was given, along with some of the common allergens. When i was spending my three days not sweating/showering I read up on most of those (because it was obvious I was having a reaction to something back there) and some of those things are in EVERYTHING. Turns out mine (http://www.truetest.com/PatientPDF/Pati ... linone.pdf) is in about half of every "wet" substance (lotions, dish soaps, shampoos, conditioners, some eyseshadows, mascara, hand soap in businesses...) out there and is a most excellent eco-friendly preservative.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:37 pm 
Offline
Wears Durian Helmet
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:59 am
Posts: 889
Location: Dallas
I was thinking psoriasis, except there are a few differences here. Usually it happens on the joints like the elbows and knees, and it will have a scaly dry skin quality to it. The one of your feet looks like you have a little bit of dry skin, but I'm not sure if that's something else or just the picture. Everyone can have a little bit different symptoms though. Let us know what the doctor says!

_________________
"Y'all can vegan in my face anytime." -choirqueer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:43 pm 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7079
Location: Fort Drum NY
jewbacca wrote:
That kind of looks like ringworm, which is a fungal infection. Do you have lots of yeast infections? Many people have a fungal infection systemically which makes the rash come and go. What did the doctor say again?

It could also be shingles, which is adult chicken pox. That can be recurring and is treatable with some antiviral meds.

Lastly, another thing comes to mind: foot and mouth disease. It runs rampant among daycare centers, so your lil' one could have brought it home. Do you have a sore throat with this or mouth sores?

Let me know if I'm the lucky winner.


no and i've had different docs say different things - i've heard that it's dishydrotic eczema, or a gluten rash, and i've had a few tell me they had no idea.

i've heard shingles hurt like hell - these don't really hurt.

i googled hand foot and mouth and it looks horrifying and my mouth is fine.

zabber8 wrote:
I have suffered from intermittent hives similar to yours for several years now - along with intermittent edema in the feet/ankles. I have not felt like myself in a while but figured I was just out of shape or getting old...just recently though, I developed a swelling in my throat that was very noticeable and so went right away to the doctor. Turns out that I have a thyroid imbalance due to autoimmune thyroid disease. Makes the immune system wacky and can commonly cause new food allergies, increase of intensity of existing food allergies, etc. I've complained about this for years to docs, but they never put two and two together (along with symptoms like my dry eyes and edema). Yet the endocrinologist tells me that unexplained hives, "idiopathic uticaria" I think it is technically called, are commonly caused by thyroid disease. They went away when I started thyroid meds...if I am late taking a pill, they start to creep back. So possibly get your thyroid checked?


i had my thyroid tested about 2 years ago (and about 3 1/2 years ago) and I'm normal (which i figured I wasn't because I have a bisque of a time losing weight), and the rash has been on and off for at least 6, 7 years. i can certainly ask to have it checked again.

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:48 pm 
Offline
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm
Posts: 7079
Location: Fort Drum NY
bekki wrote:
appifanie wrote:
oh also i've had a skin test for common allergens and i tested not allergic to anything, which is weird because I'm sneezy year round and take a generic zyrtec every day.


By skin test, do you mean like a prick test where they look for common ingested/smelled allergens or a skin test for topical/contact allergens? The contact dermatitis test is three big stickers on your back that you have to wear for 3 days without getting wet.

My spots looked incredibly similar, and were slightly raised but usually itched. I posted this recently, but here's the company who makes the test I was given, along with some of the common allergens. When i was spending my three days not sweating/showering I read up on most of those (because it was obvious I was having a reaction to something back there) and some of those things are in EVERYTHING. Turns out mine (http://www.truetest.com/PatientPDF/Pati ... linone.pdf) is in about half of every "wet" substance (lotions, dish soaps, shampoos, conditioners, some eyseshadows, mascara, hand soap in businesses...) out there and is a most excellent eco-friendly preservative.


oh this was definitely just the pricks/smears/whatever and not a 3 day thing. mine are sometimes raised but usually not. i can definitely ask about that test - i just have to see a different allergist because my last one died (he was super nice and i'm still sad).

sunnybear wrote:
I was thinking psoriasis, except there are a few differences here. Usually it happens on the joints like the elbows and knees, and it will have a scaly dry skin quality to it. The one of your feet looks like you have a little bit of dry skin, but I'm not sure if that's something else or just the picture. Everyone can have a little bit different symptoms though. Let us know what the doctor says!


my dad actually had a bad bit of psoriasis on his leg for years that cleared up a long time ago. my spotty areas definitely seem drier and lotion sometimes seems to help.

thanks everyone for your input!! :) i was having a hard time deciding if i should talk to an allergist or a dermatologist.

_________________
"T-shirts are not allowed in heaven, Karyn. They don't do casual Fridays." - Amandabear

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer