| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rash on my knees and feet
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

It's hard to get an idea where you need to go, for a long time I really thought that I needed a dermatologist, but I never made it. When I had a serious issue I was "lucky" that my doctor decided to send me straight to an allergist, even though I asked about a dermatologist. I say "lucky" because I had random skin flare ups that I had never gotten checked out (well, one I had checked out and it was assumed to be fungal by docs), but what I finally put me over the edge was e.l.f. eye makeup remover wipes...my eyes got really swollen and I had a red bandit mask. I wound up with a steroid shot and script for Xyzal that day. I know I mention it way more often than I should, but it was life changing for me. Good luck, I hope you can figure out what's causing your problems.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:02 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

As soon as I saw the pics, I thought 'psoriasis'. I have it and that's what a mild case looks like - mine is much worse, but when it's mild, it looks like that. The 'peely' thing you describe is typical - psoriasis is an auto-immune disease where your body produces too many skin cells at a rapid rate and can't shed them fast enough - that's why you get the red spots (the build-up of skin cells) and it can get peely --> flaky --> scaly. A dermatologist can confirm it for you (or tell you if it's something else). My GP did a puncture biopsy of a few patches (did not hurt at all) and sent it off to the lab and it was confirmed that way, but we already knew what it was - she just did that to give me a proper referral for treatment.

I have researched it to death, so feel free to contact me if it turns out to be psoriasis, and I can give you lots of info. For your sake, I hope it's something else!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:39 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

thank you! especially for saying that the scary sounding "puncture biopsy" doesn't hurt :) i'll have to make an appt w/ my doc to see a derm. it's taking much longer to heal this time - it's finally almost gone.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I may have missed it, but have they ever given you steroid cream? Sometimes if I wind up coming into contact with my allergen enough (like the 2 months I didn't know I was allergic to the school's soap!) the only way to get it to go away is with topical steroids, even if I avoid the allergen for a few weeks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:27 pm 

i don't think so but i do actually have a steroid cream from a bout of tinea versicolor that i used and it seemed to work

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:15 am 
Tofu Pup

ganuloma anular or something like that ... i know this thread is quite old, had that rash about 10 years ago, most spots go away in a year, those that dont my dr put corticosteroid in them and they disappeared. its a fungal infection ... just your body is sensitive to something in the air. i now have chronic tinea versicolour which is a pain in the but when its summer and wanting to wear a bathing suit, once again its fungal :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:14 pm 

rocky, thanks!!! i'll look into that! it actually seems like a definite possibility. i got tinea versicolor on my chest the year before last - that's what I had the meds from. these random rashes are embarrassing so I totally get your bathing suit woes. i don't suppose there is anyway to figure out what the sensitivity is to?

thanks again, and welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:05 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hey guys,

I have seen this as i have been in the garden all day and i seem to have developed small red circular marks randomly over my body. I noticed them and asked my boyfriend if he had any and he has the exact same ones. I remembered i had something similar before.

This drew me to your post as i saw you had a rash on your knee on the first post. I had that exact rash after wearing a pair of tight jeans at a music festival which was very dry and dusty. It went purple after a few days and begun to peel off which was very odd!
I went to the doctor and they told me it was an extreem form of exhema , now i know for a fact it was due to the dust in the feild. Maybe you should look at what the earth looks like and maybe get it tested?

I hope this helps

Emma x

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:00 pm 

Thanks Emma! I'm actually moving soon and my doctors here stink, so I'm going to see a new doc after I move.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:07 am 
Tofu Pup

I have the same kind of spots coming up on me also but mine mainly happen in the morning and they are warm and spread from my knee cap to right above my knee and they sometimes will get on the top of my feet and hands :( the more I scratch the mor it spreads! Mine goes competely away and then will pop back up and they start as what looks like a bug bite but then starts to spread into patchs like your picture but mine doesn't flake .I had all the regular test done and the dr couldn't find anything and he siad I may never know! I believe if I nervous or stressed mine gets worse but if I take Allergra 24hr. tablets I don't break out....so I pretty sure mine is an allergy of some kind. The cold water does help mine alot with the itching and swelling...I was wondering if you found out anything else?? Maybe it would be helpful to me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:24 am 
Tofu Pup

Not being a troll here, but have you gotten an STD test? Look at the pictures for Syph rash.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:08 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Looks nothing like any syphilis I've seen in any of my textbooks and the presentation just really does not match up, from what I've been taught. Given, I'm just a med student and not a doctor...

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:28 pm 

acole wrote:
I have the same kind of spots coming up on me also but mine mainly happen in the morning and they are warm and spread from my knee cap to right above my knee and they sometimes will get on the top of my feet and hands :( the more I scratch the mor it spreads! Mine goes competely away and then will pop back up and they start as what looks like a bug bite but then starts to spread into patchs like your picture but mine doesn't flake .I had all the regular test done and the dr couldn't find anything and he siad I may never know! I believe if I nervous or stressed mine gets worse but if I take Allergra 24hr. tablets I don't break out....so I pretty sure mine is an allergy of some kind. The cold water does help mine alot with the itching and swelling...I was wondering if you found out anything else?? Maybe it would be helpful to me

I'm sorry it took me forever to see this - yours is exactly the same kind of weird mine is - shifting and growing and whatnot.

thadoctor wrote:
Not being a troll here, but have you gotten an STD test? Look at the pictures for Syph rash.

Another slow reply! Don't think you're a troll :) Google imaged - doesn't look like those, thank heavens.

I actually found this thread because I was googling because my daughter (she's 6) has this rash on her elbows and knees right now. Took her into a ped this morning (hers was off) and he was totally unhelpful re: the rash type.