| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flatulence
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:10 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I searched and I couldn't find a thread about this already. If there is, please lock mine up. :-)

What gives you gas, and what do you do about it? For me, it's marinara sauce, and specific brands of soy milk (not all of them) and tofu. Also I get mysterious gas without being sure what is causing it.

I avoid taking meds, so I just deal with it. What about you?

Writing Praying Vegan

Last edited by AutumnLeaves on Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Flatulance
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:43 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I have no idea what makes mine better/worse, but I felt I should let you know that my boyfriend told me I woke him up last night because my fart smelled so disgusting. Lovely.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:10 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Flatulence is one of my favorite words. Just sayin.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:16 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Food. I'm a big farter.
Is that TMI even for the PPK?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:18 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

QueenV wrote:
Food. I'm a big farter.
Is that TMI even for the PPK?

Never TMI. I'm the same. I don't even know how I would go about figuring out what makes me fart. I just constantly fart, no matter what I eat, it seems.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:06 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yeah, food.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:35 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I hate popping pills, but I might have to find something for my flatulence issues. On some days it's just unacceptably bad.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:53 pm 
Semen Strong

You can generally reduce flatulence if you avoid common allergens like gluten, chew your food and avoid the cruciferous veggies (brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli). But then what will form the musical accompaniment to the movie that is your life?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:14 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

over the past few months I have discovered that excessive gluten, refined sugar and undercooked beans/lentils all do it for me. Which kinda sucks, I must have been tooting my way through life without realising how much until recently. Or is it possible to become sensitive to foods over time?

The refined sugar thing is the worst, more than half a cupcake is instant flatulence!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:27 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Tofulish wrote:
You can generally reduce flatulence if you avoid common allergens like gluten, chew your food and avoid the cruciferous veggies (brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli). But then what will form the musical accompaniment to the movie that is your life?

ha ha

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:28 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Pretty much all food. If you want to stop farting all the time, start taking a probiotic. I drink a Good Belly everyday, and it knocked my farting down to almost nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:53 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I was going to start a thread about this today. Mine are so bad and I work in an open office I have to hold it all day long. By the time I get home poor hubby. On some days it is so bad I can't stand myself. I wake myself up. I've been vegan for 6 years so it's not a matter of getting used to added fiber. Nothing helps. Tried adding the seeweed while cooking beans, other spices, probiotic, nothing. At first I took beano but found out it is not vegan, nor can I take this stuff forever.

Would pay dearly to find out how to get rid of this problem! And it is a problem when you are around people. They always make vegetarian jokes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:58 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

i also take pro-biotics for my farts and it's been amazing! i used to fart near-constantly and it smelled horrible. i can't recommend them enough.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:39 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

any particular probiotic? The stuff in the capsules? Not even sure if the caps are vegan, and there are so many different kinds out there it seems. I take one capsule ever few days. Perhaps it's not enough? Not sure if they are all equally good. I can't ge that Good Belly stuff here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:50 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Max&Moritz wrote:
I was going to start a thread about this today. Mine are so bad and I work in an open office I have to hold it all day long. By the time I get home poor hubby. On some days it is so bad I can't stand myself. I wake myself up. I've been vegan for 6 years so it's not a matter of getting used to added fiber. Nothing helps. Tried adding the seeweed while cooking beans, other spices, probiotic, nothing. At first I took beano but found out it is not vegan, nor can I take this stuff forever.

Would pay dearly to find out how to get rid of this problem! And it is a problem when you are around people. They always make vegetarian jokes.

Me Too!!! I always have to hold it all day, and by the time I get home, it's just BAAAAD.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:28 pm 

Max&Moritz wrote:
any particular probiotic? The stuff in the capsules? Not even sure if the caps are vegan, and there are so many different kinds out there it seems. I take one capsule ever few days. Perhaps it's not enough? Not sure if they are all equally good. I can't ge that Good Belly stuff here.

I take them as directed on the bottle. The one I have now is one-a-day but the others were twice daily.

I use this: http://www.naturesway.com/Products/Probiotics/15652-Primadophilus-Optima.aspx

The caps are vegetable based, but it says there may a minimal residual amount of dairy or soy protein. That's within my vegan margin of error but it's not a sure thing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm also told gas increases as you get into your thirties. I've found that to be true. Sometimes I have it bad. I teach middle school and move around the class a lot. One may slip out and I just sweep to the other side of the room. Some poor kid gets blamed. The ones who know that it's me are too respectful to say anything.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Soy yogurt is giving it to me, since I've started eating it every morning. Poor, poor co workers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:03 am 
Saggy Butt

I've found that drinking aloe helps - seriously, they sell aloe vera juice. I've tried a few different kinds, the best was Noni juice that I got at t.j. maxx, completely liquid and almost tasteless, now I'm taking the pulpy kind from Fred Meyer. It doesn't taste great but it really helps. You take 1 oz (2 T, or more if you can stand it) before eating, and even when I eat at baja fresh I have little to no incidence.

Also drinking a lot of water throughout the day helps, not drinking much fruit juice or carbonated drinks, eating a variety of food and not too much of one food (like soy), not over eating, etc. (ya know, all the healthy stuff).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:34 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yeah, I'm a fan of the probiotics. They're not a "medication", so there's no reason to avoid taking a supplement (just as, I hope, you take a B12 supplement). Taking a probiotic also helps chronic yeast infections. Win-win.

The only downside is that they're expensive ($20 for 80 tablets). WF carries a vegan bottle.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:55 pm 

haven't tried them but the site says that these probiotics are vegan:

https://www.now-2-u.com/Products/ProductsbyCategory/Category/076859.htm?cat=Digestive%20Support

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:51 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Seitan and lentils.

For probiotics, I use Kyodophilus's vegetarian formula, because back when I first started taking them (2005), that was the only (vegan) brand I could find that didn't need to be kept in the fridge.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:21 pm 
Bought a wardrobe full of Affliction t-shirts

Tofulish wrote:

sigged

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:20 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I have now decided to buy probiotics for my fella! Hopefully that'll do the trick. Poor guy has an uncomfortable tum almost always.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:54 pm 
Grandfathered In

I just finished writing a book about farts.

True facts.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next