| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Calcium!
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:52 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Where do you get your calcium from? I've been using a nutrition tracker and I'm getting barely any calcium. I don't have much soya - just the occasional in coffee or a yogurt or so, but not often because it tends to upset my stomach if I have too much.

What's the best sources of calcium? Are supplements pretty much essential? (Bonus: if you're in the UK, what supplement do you take?)

Post subject: Re: Calcium!
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:07 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I take Viridian Kelp tablets for calcium, but also eat mucho kale, broccoli and dark green leafiness.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:53 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

According to Becoming Vegan, leafy greens, broccoli, beans, almonds, flaxseed, sunflower seed, tahini, figs, oranges, and blackstrap molasses are among the best sources of calcium!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:58 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

fortified soy and almond milk and supplements! it's really hard for me to get enough otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:47 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I buy calcium fortified OJ and amonde yogurt, and then get the rest from veggies. But on days when I'm out of or skip breakfast I take Deva calcium pill. I usualy get enough from food but I like to take supplement on off days when I eat crappy I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:55 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I get Holland & Barrett Vegan multivitamins which have 25% of calcium RDA. They are on offer at the moment.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/ ... prodid=366

I also worry about getting enough calcium, but I am having my bloods checked next week so hopefully I'll know if I'm eating what I should be. I always eat plenty of greens, lentils & broccoli but after reading this thread I went out & bought almonds & figs!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:06 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I've been told that there's no way to check calcium with blood tests, which makes it extra hard to know if you're getting enough.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:46 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've had my calcium tested twice as part of the Cambridge bone health study - they test by passing an electric current through your heel and measuring the bone density. (Both times my levels were better than average for my age).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:52 pm 

Ruby Rose wrote:
I've had my calcium tested twice as part of the Cambridge bone health study - they test by passing an electric current through your heel and measuring the bone density. (Both times my levels were better than average for my age).

Yikees I'm scared now. I just thought I was having blood tests on Wednesday!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I had bloods done and got a call back from the doctor saying I had low calcium levels...don't know how they got that if you can't test with blood! Low b12 too, I feel like such an anti-vegan poster!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:02 pm 

vixki wrote:
I had bloods done and got a call back from the doctor saying I had low calcium levels...don't know how they got that if you can't test with blood! Low b12 too, I feel like such an anti-vegan poster!

Have you got AFR? It lists how much calcium is in each dish. I'll be well pissed if I find I have low B12. I am totally addicted to marmite & have it in my multi vit too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:11 pm 

I've been trusting the nutritional analysis from AFR, but I also usually eat a Clif or Luna bar each day along with a glass of fortified almond milk. All of those add up to 100% each day, so hopefully it's enough. I did have a couple of orthopedic surgeries where I needed bone to heal and they healed up really well, so I've always taken that to mean I'm doing ok.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Chickpea wrote:
vixki wrote:

Have you got AFR? It lists how much calcium is in each dish. I'll be well pissed if I find I have low B12. I am totally addicted to marmite & have it in my multi vit too.

Yeah I have AFR borrowed from the library. Haven't got round to making anything from it yet though. The portion sizes seem a lot smaller than I'm used to :p

I can't stand marmite, bleh! But my nooch is B12 fortified so I should try to use that more often. I always forget about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:50 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

So your body keeps a certain amount of calcium in your blood stream. If it doesn't get a steady enough stream from what you eat, it steals a bit from your bones. If it has too much calcium, it will store some of it or excrete it in your urine. Low blood calcium levels are a sign that something is wrong with that system.

The only way to know if you're getting enough calcium is a bone test to see what your calcium stores are.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:17 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

That's weird, I worked in a lab for a few years (I just left in December) and we had a test, Bone Profile, and a second test for un-cuffed calcium. There was also a urine test but I assume that is different because it is seeing how much calcium you are pissing out? I don't know, I was just a lab tech but it would be weird for the doctors to request serum calcium levels if you can't test for it. Maybe it just isn't very accurate?

ETA That I just read your post, Mollyjade.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:44 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I have also been advised to take calcium supps after getting a low calcium reading on a blood test. And my doc seems pretty savvy, so I don't know what to think about that. She certainly didn't think it meant there was anything more complex wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:20 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I don't know nearly enough to say what a low calcium blood level means. I just know that if your blood calcium level is in the right range, it doesn't mean you are consuming enough calcium to keep your bones healthy. Just that that system is working correctly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:29 pm 
***LIES!!!***

And to the OP: I eat a lot of calcium set tofu. Nasoya is a good brand for that in the US, not sure what is available in the UK.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:43 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Green juice, okra, bok choy, tofu, soy milk, and supplements. I supplement 30% of my calcium a day.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:05 am 
Dead by dawn

vixki wrote:
Chickpea wrote:
vixki wrote:

Yeah I have AFR borrowed from the library. Haven't got round to making anything from it yet though. The portion sizes seem a lot smaller than I'm used to :p

I can't stand marmite, bleh! But my nooch is B12 fortified so I should try to use that more often. I always forget about it.

If you're not watching your weight, just divide your AFR recipes into fewer, larger portions. I did that even when I was counting calories to lose weight.