| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gym babies! Are you out there?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:35 am 
Grandfathered In

I just started going to the gym. I've been two whole times. Any moment I might decide I'm through with it. The first time, the workout made me feel god-awful. Sick. Emptied out. The second time (this morning) it didn't make me feel like I wanted to die. Progress!

How about you? How is your new gym-inclusive lifestyle?

Post subject: Re: Gym babies! Are you out there?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:01 am 
Dead by dawn

I just joined a triathlon team at the beginning of February, so not a gym but a new workout routine. Yeah, the first track practice made me want to die. Everything hurt. But I feel like I've worked out some of the kinks. There's the distinct possibility that soon I might actually feel good after running.

I remember a once-upon-a-time when I was a regular gym-goer and... I liked it. I didn't look for excuses not to go, in fact, I got irritated when something prevented me from going. I don't know what the hell was wrong with me!

Stick with it Footie. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:10 am 
Grandfathered In

It hasn't killed me (yet) but I am sore as a motherhuffer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:42 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I just started running for a half hour every other day a little over a week ago for the first time in 5 years. I'm already dreading my run tomorrow morning! I am trying to stick with it though, as I remember a time when I loved running and I am hoping it will do my body + mind good eventually! I'd just stick with going to the gym. Even if some days you really aren't feeling it, force yourself to get up on a treadmill and briskly walk for a half hour. It'll get you into the gym + perhaps remind you it's not all that bad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:46 am 
Chard Martyr

I'm the person who is at the gym nearly every day, but I wanted to say that you guys are awesome and can totally do whatever you set your minds to, because I was once a gym baby! Some days I don't want to go, and that is ok because my body needs rest, but other days I force myself to go because I know that I will feel better/accomplished afterward. Good luck with all of your goals!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:49 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I had been going to the gym for about 6 months until I moved interstate (june last year). Since then i've done pretty much zip aside from a few casual hockey games. I joined a gym here and went for the first time on friday and had a program set out for me and everything. Ooohhhh my poor muscles. Washing my hair and putting a bra on are now agony for my poor triceps and biceps.

Will keep at it though, it's just too hard to start exercising, I have to keep at it so I never have to 'start' again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:53 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

You need a gym inspiration!

I used to get on one of the ellipticals every day behind this one awesome guy. Now, I do 45 minutes on an elliptical, it's a huge accomplishment. This guy would get on, set the thing to 100 level resistance (which still doesn't make sense to me) and go for an hour and a half. My max resistance was like 25, and that took me months to get to. Apparently this guy lost like 100 pounds, and everytime he went, POOL of sweat under him, and he was always happy and smiling. Amazing.

Hang in there Footie! It gets better. Do you bring music?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:17 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

my work just built one and i started going. i never used a gym before but it's better than i thought it would be. it's not so crowded as i have heard public gyms are so i think that makes the difference for me. i have been going after work to work off the stress of the day, get in shape and it also helps me sleep through the night so it is a triple win!

once it gets nicer out, i will probably use it less during the spring and summer but on rainy days or super mega humid days i will probably use it.

right now i am doing mainly cardio stuff and when i get up the nerve to sign up for the full tour and learn how all the weight machines work, i will probably start using those as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:54 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Although it may be just a phase, I've been going to the gym and doing two classes in a row, because I can, and I want to. I love Body Pump, Body Combat, and spinning.

I remember before, I would go to the gym begrudgingly. For some reason though, in September of 2009 in a spinning class (where the teacher literally forced me to crank up my resistance - and I thank him for that!) everything suddenly clicked and I learned to love exercise! There's just something really awesome about moving your body and feeling the strength in your muscles.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:56 am 
Grandfathered In

I haven't been listening to music. I'm doing so many different things (stuff with dumbbells, machines, the elliptical, the treadmill) that I'd have to keep picking things up and moving them. I think it'd just be a nuisance.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:47 am 
Dead by dawn

If you don't have an ipod already, the shuffle is tiny and cheap and clips to your shirt or waistband so you don't have to pick anything up and move it around with you.

And you may hurt like a mofo now, but if you stick with it, two things will happen (in my experience.) One, you will hurt less. Two, you will kind of like the hurt. If it's mild, I like to feel which muscles I really used the next day. I've only done one swim workout with my team and the owner/coach pushed me much harder than I was working on my own in the pool. I seriously thought I wasn't going to be able to raise my arms over my head the next day. But I could (because I'm stronger than I give myself credit for) and it actually felt good to raise them and stretch... I could feel that I'd really used all the muscles in my upper back and shoulders. It hurt just enough to feel good and not enough to feel bad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:22 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

This thread has just given me some inspiration - thanks FootFace for starting it! I used to go to the gym all the time and was in great shape, but as of September I haven't gone at all, I barely go to yoga anymore, and I haven't run outside since the snow came (and I think that was back in October). I need to get my asparagus back in gear.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:40 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I just started back at the gym a month ago. I also somehow let myself get talked into personal training. It is fantastic. My trainer really pushes me like I never would, and in a few short weeks I have noticed major changes, and I'm feeling strong again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:15 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

FootFace wrote:
I haven't been listening to music. I'm doing so many different things (stuff with dumbbells, machines, the elliptical, the treadmill) that I'd have to keep picking things up and moving them. I think it'd just be a nuisance.

Try with music if you can find a way not too annoying...I have shorts that have a little ipod pocket on the inside of the waist.and, so I just pop mine in there, and because it's right up against me near the elastic it doesn't jiggle too much. But I just find music makes SUCH a difference for me, great especially for running...I get caught up in the songs and forget about the work i'm doing. When i'm without music I often don't go as long.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:23 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

appifanie wrote:
You need a gym inspiration!

I used to get on one of the ellipticals every day behind this one awesome guy. Now, I do 45 minutes on an elliptical, it's a huge accomplishment. This guy would get on, set the thing to 100 level resistance (which still doesn't make sense to me) and go for an hour and a half. My max resistance was like 25, and that took me months to get to. Apparently this guy lost like 100 pounds, and everytime he went, POOL of sweat under him, and he was always happy and smiling. Amazing.

Hang in there Footie! It gets better. Do you bring music?

I do this, too! There's this petite girl with amazing arms. She does some kind of interval where she switches between jumping rope (FAST) and doing PULL-UPS! I want to do pull-ups one day!!!

I started going in mid-September/October, and it's amazing how it feels when you start to see progress. Stick with it, FF, and you'll see results and be SO happy you did.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:32 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

von m wrote:
I just started back at the gym a month ago. I also somehow let myself get talked into personal training. It is fantastic. My trainer really pushes me like I never would, and in a few short weeks I have noticed major changes, and I'm feeling strong again.

This is another great idea. It can be expensive, but a trainer pushes you hard and is their to make sure your form is good so you don't get hurt. I went from barely making it through a session to impressing my trainer at the last session with how much my endurance has increased. They're also really supportive and boost your self-esteem, lots of positive re-enforcement, that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:32 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

this made me decide that i need to get back to the gym. i used to love working out, and i think i need to start again - working out makes such a difference to my mental well being.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:06 am 
Grandfathered In

Oh my god. I went to the gym again! That's, like, 3 times in 44 years. I have to pace myself!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:49 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Music makes a huge difference when you work out. If my ipod dies mid-workout, I suddenly have zero motivation. Just get a cheapie that you can put a few songs on and put in your pocket.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:38 am 
Ninja Master

I really struggle at the gym if I don't have my iPod. The gym plays really wanky music, plus I can't get through the last 5 minutes on the crosstrainer without 2 Unlimited!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:26 am 
Married to the wolfman

FootFace wrote:
Oh my god. I went to the gym again! That's, like, 3 times in 44 years. I have to pace myself!

If you make it one more time, that will be a rate of once every 11 years!

If you get bored of doing the same sort of circuit (a big risk if you start going too many times in too few years!), you could maybe take a class. I always think I should sign up for a class at a gym because then I'd have a set thing at set times that I'd have to go to, which would be motivational, but then I'm like AAAAGH NO TOO TERRIFYING.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:34 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I'm another music advocate. You can get armband things that will hold your ipod or mp3 player so that you can just leave it on and listen while you do different weights and machines and things. I would never have gone to the gym ever if I couldn't have listened to music.

Also, if your gym happens to be a YMCA (or even if it doesn't, I guess; I just know more about the Y), check into whether you can get a free personal training session. I think a lot of them give you a free session or two, and that is really helpful both for your fitness and for building gym confidence.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:13 am 
Grandfathered In

I started with a personal training session thing. And I do sometimes listen to music. My workout is only about 30 minutes also.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:46 pm 
Dead by dawn

Be careful. Too many gym visits in too few years and you're no longer a gym baby and you have to start posting in threads in the exercise section like "Your workout today" and "The 'I'm Sore' Thread." It's intimidating in there with the Bicycling Badazzes, but I like to pretend that other people care how many yards I swam.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:12 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I'm one of those typical white-liberal-vegan-atheist-yoga-doers, tbh.