| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gym babies! Are you out there?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:08 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I haven't been in a week. I was getting into a really good regular gym groove when I got sick. This bug that got me just won't go away! fork!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:11 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Okay, I'm inspired. I'm notoriously bad at keeping a good gym schedule. I'll go once, and have high aspirations, and then not go again for a month. Not good!! I'm thinking it might be because I don't like gym environments... So I think I'll try something else like a yoga class or something.

Any recommendations for a good class that a huge gym baby could start with and hopefully actually STICK WITH. That's the goal -- I need something I can stick with!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:08 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I want to go! But I keep very strange hours which don't really coincide with when the gym at my school is open. And I don't have money for a private gym. Boo.

Instead I just go out dancing at least once a week. The place I go has no cover, and it feels good to dance for four hours straight, then walk home (since I leave after the trains stop running, and it's only a few miles from my house...)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:36 pm 
Dead by dawn

FootFace! Are you still going to the gym? Is it getting better?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:40 pm 
Grandfathered In

I am still gymming it up! I'm going every other day or so. It's definitely getting better. I am still pretty wiped out at the end of the (about 30-minute) workout, but I don't feel like I want to die.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:10 pm 
Dead by dawn

Go you!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:47 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

i'm a gym baby (again, I quit for a year) What keeps me motivated are comedy podcasts like "The Nerdist" and "Comedy Death Ray". I get so caught up in them, I don't want to leave the gym till the episode is over. Although whoever is near me is prob wondering why I occasionally snort or double over when I'm trying to avoid laughing outloud.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:17 pm 
Grandfathered In

I guess I'm not a baby anymore. I'm still going 2-3 times a week, and I'm still doing my exact same workout. (Except increasing the weights every now and then.) Just checking in.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:43 pm 
Dead by dawn

I meant to ask you about this the other day when you posted in my bike crash thread. I'm so glad that you've graduated toa gym kindergartner (or whatever.) Change your workout up! Muscle confusion! All the cool kids are doing it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

aw, I miss the gym, but I also keep really strange hours and there aren't any 24hr gyms around here.
I used to go a bunch, I remember when Iw as first starting out I would be super-sore all the time. I once sneezed and I was convinced my lung had collapsed because my chest muscles were so sore and they were deeply unhappy with the involuntary contraction caused by the sneeze.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:40 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I think I fall into the gym baby category.

I started going to the gym at the beginning of May, tried to figure out a good workout routine by looking at various websites and then thought I really had it down on June 6th, it was going to be my first day with the new workout, had a spreadsheet and everything to track my progress.

About 20 minutes into my workout I went over to do dead lifts for the first time. I was thinking "ok, let's start with minimal weight, 105 sounds about right, nice and light"...so I did 3 lifts, easy peasy, then another set, "ok, this is a joke, last set I might as well do 4"...as I'm setting it down the 4th time I relaxed my back and that's when I felt (and heard) the pop in my lower back. I thought to myself "that can't be good, maybe I should go back to my room and rest, take some advil...", stood up, walked about 4 feet and felt the most intense crippling pain I've ever felt in my life...I spent the next 15 minutes just leaning up against one of the platforms that people do standing jumps onto trying to convince my back muscles to stop spasming, then another 5 minutes slowly lowering myself to the floor and then another 15 minutes waiting for someone else to come into the gym (it was a weekend and I had the place all to myself). They came in, I sheepishly called them over, explained the situation and they got a medic and I was taken over to the hospital. Fortunately for me it was only a strain and with some muscle relaxers and pain meds I was back on my feet in about an hour and the pain and stiffness was completely gone in 3-4 days.

Because of that though I never got into a decent routine until near the end of June. I don't touch dead lifts or clean and jerks and am really careful on squats to make sure my posture stays proper. I stick to pulldowns (I'm a wuss and can only do a couple of pullups so I go with less weight, lots more reps on the pulldown) dumbell extensions, upright rows and several other various "safe" back workouts.

I've gotten a pretty good routine that works for me since I go 7 days a week, a 3 day rotation, day 1 is chest and abs finished with some time on the exercise bike, day 2 is back, shoulders, and legs wrapping it up with the rowing machine, and day 3 is arms and running (switching between a long run and a short fast run every other time). It's worked well for me at least, I've upped my lifting weight by probably 20% on average in less than a month and my two mile run time has dropped nearly 5 minutes since May (it was horrible to start with - near the 18 minute mark).

I'll second, or 15th what everyone else has said, music makes a huge difference...unless of course a Cubs game is on, then I forfeit a great workout and settle for a good one so I can watch some of the game. I generally try to spend about 45-60 minutes per session.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:42 pm 
Impressive boner

I go just about every day before work. I love the gym.

When I started I used to take my iPod but I change exercise so often (from treadmill to handweights to rower to olympic bar, etc) that moving it about became annoying so I put up with the crappy gym music instead. I love working hard to make my wrists sweaty and feeling slightly euphoric afterwards.

I've been seeing a personal trainer every two weeks for about 6-8 weeks now and am now noticing some differences in my physique.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:50 pm 
Mediocre Tart

YOU GUYS! I went to a gym for the very first time in my life today! I only did, like, 40 mins on the bike thing... but I've pretty much never done any exercise ever ever. And then I left and wanted to go straight back! WHAT. I was so scared and freaking out about there being all these super-fit people there being judgy-pants and me feeling super-embarrassed and what-not. But I did it! And now I want to get up at 6am tomorrow and go back! But I probably wont, because SLEEPS, but still! It was such, SUCH, a hurdle for me to get over even fronting up there in the first place.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:58 pm 
Grandfathered In

WELL DONE!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been walking on the treadmill at the gym in my work building for about a month now. It's small and kind of old/dirty. But at least it is free! Normally it's pretty empty though which I don't like. I've been to a real gym a few times and liked it so much better. Something about a whole shiitake load of people all doing the same thing for the same reason in one space is motivating to me. WE ARE ALL SWEATING TOGETHER!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:25 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Ok, tell me about how to not feel like a knob on the cross-trainer thingy. I tried it and lasted 3 minutes of feeling like i was going to fall off or on my face or somesuch and just the most unbalanced person ever.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:30 pm 
Mediocre Tart

P.S. I've been THREE WHOLE TIMES NOW!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:37 pm 
WELFARIST!

Awesome, bang?! ! I miss going to the gym, sometimes. I can't afford a membership right now, but I did love running on a treadmill and having access to a pool for lap swimming. Oh, and the yoga classes. Le sigh. Maybe again, someday! Seriously, though, on starting a new routine...I've done it many times as a chronic exercise quitter, and the starting is always the absolute worst. I would like to keep up with the running I've been doing for the past few months, but I am already dreading winter running. Gonna have to get some warm gear so I won't hate it and then...quit. Because exercise is awesome! It makes me feel good!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:30 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Pretty much the only reason I can afford to go to the gym right now (and mostly the reason I didn't go before) is that this new 24hr one that is £10 a month opened up at the end of my road 2 weeks ago. I certainly can't afford to go to the council ones that cost £38 per month...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:36 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

interrobang?! wrote:
Ok, tell me about how to not feel like a knob on the cross-trainer thingy. I tried it and lasted 3 minutes of feeling like i was going to fall off or on my face or somesuch and just the most unbalanced person ever.

I felt just like you when I first started going to the gym and now I love it. I also felt like a massively uncoordinated knob head on the cross trainer the first few times and I could only last about 3 minutes before I felt like I was gonna die but I didn't & now (two years later!) I can do 30 minutes no problem! I'm assuming the co-ordination thing is a muscle memory thing? Like playing an instrument, it takes a while to get something!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:17 pm 
WELFARIST!

interrobang?! wrote:
Pretty much the only reason I can afford to go to the gym right now (and mostly the reason I didn't go before) is that this new 24hr one that is £10 a month opened up at the end of my road 2 weeks ago. I certainly can't afford to go to the council ones that cost £38 per month...

Awesome! For the record, I didn't mean my comment to sound all 'must be niiiceee....', which I don't think you thought, but just wanted to clear up. The cheapest one I have access to here that has a pool (a must for me if I'm going to pay a gym fee) is a little over $50/month. I could go to the one on campus for a little bit less (maybe $10 less since I'm an alumni), but here are my many reasons for not doing so:

- it's further from my home.
- the pool has stupid hours because the swim team practices there.
- classes cost extra, which is totally lame.
- there is a rock wall, which is awesome, but that costs extra too.

Also, I gave them tons of money for a not so great education and not going to their gym is my futile way of...sticking it to them?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.