| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thick toenails
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:22 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I have some really thick nails on a few of my toes and they are nasty looking and embarrassing and sometimes hurt. I have to file them down and cut them with really sharp nippers because they are too thick for normal nail clippers. I know this is a type of nail fungus but I can't find any information on how I can get rid of it, at least information that isn't full of woo... Anyone else have this problem and had any success getting their nails back to normal? It doesn't seem like this kind of thing is covered by my insurance as it is deemed cosmetic.

Post subject: Re: Thick toenails
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:44 pm 
Nailed to the V

vowlry wrote:
I have some really thick nails on a few of my toes and they are nasty looking and embarrassing and sometimes hurt. I have to file them down and cut them with really sharp nippers because they are too thick for normal nail clippers. I know this is a type of nail fungus but I can't find any information on how I can get rid of it, at least information that isn't full of woo... Anyone else have this problem and had any success getting their nails back to normal? It doesn't seem like this kind of thing is covered by my insurance as it is deemed cosmetic.

My understanding is that the only way to get rid of it is with a prescription (for an oral medication, not a topical, because topicals don't work either) or with laser treatment. Multiple doctors have told me that nothing else works. However, my prescription was covered by my insurance, so I would double-check on that. The generic should be quite affordable if it's not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

If your insurance doesn't cover the prescription try using goodrx.com, a lot of meds are very cheap through there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:14 pm 

Thank you both! Veganchubosaurus did the oral medication get rid of them, assuming you also had thick toenails? Also, was it just one pill or did you take them for awhile?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:08 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I took the oral medication. It took quite a while (at least 6 months), and my doctor checked my liver before I started taking it and then periodically while I was taking it. Apparently it can mess with your liver function. My insurance didn't cover it but I paid for the generic drug myself.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:49 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Not to press the panic button, but I had a friend who took oral prescription meds for his thick/fungus nails and he later developed liver cancer. This was awhile ago (I think he started the drugs in the mid-late '90s; he was diagnosed in 2006 and died in 2007) so the drugs may be very different now, but when I saw this thread I thought it was definitely worth mentioning.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

I took it for three months and it started to help. Then my cat died and life fell apart and I never got it refilled, so they never got all the way better. I think they would have if I'd kept taking it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:16 am 
Nailed to the V

I had great success with Fungi-Nail, a topical treatment you can get off the shelf. I didn't have much hope, but it worked well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:41 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have thick toenails too but it's because my second toe is longer than my other toes and bangs against the front of my shoes. I was tested for fungus and came back negative. Before I went to the podiatrist I thought it was fungus.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:02 pm 

Interesting blondiefk! The next time I'm at the doc I'm going to have them take a look and see what my options are.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:55 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

It's not a fungal thing, I've just always been at odds with why my big toe nails are a tiny bit thicker than the others and grow a little bit faster than the others. I want things to be EVEN!!!