| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anemia! Whee!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:03 pm 
Hip Goiter

Anemic yet againnnn. My new doctor luckily tested my iron stores and not just the levels usually tested, and apparently they are virtually nonexistent. Jesus. I have to take so much iron each day it's making me sick. Anyone else dealing with any level of anemia? And how are you dealing with the supplementation?

(I'm surprised there wasn't already a thread for this; if my search wasn't thorough let me know.)

Laughfrodisiac

Post subject: Re: Anemia! Whee!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't think I have anemia per say, but I have drastically low iron. I've been on a strong supplement called Irospan for over 6 months. Levels coming up slowly! Have to get retested on Friday. I suspect there is something greater than just low iron going on with me, I'm being poked and prodded all over the place trying to figure out what is wrong. Hopefully you can get cleared up easily!

But in the mean time I did read that cooking things that are high in iron like kidney beans with something acidic like tomatoes is a good way to get natural iron into your body. So start making mass amounts of chili right now! In a cast iron pot!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:24 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Ask about infusions! There is a new variety available that lacks most of the preservatives. You only need one or two much shorter sessions and its easier on most people. The venefer made me so sick, but I have no issues with the newer stuff. Sorry, I'm blanking on the name.

I can't absoeb iron from food and the supplements are impossible because of my ulcer and the vast doses I'd need. With yearly infusions, I seem to be maintaining ok finally.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:33 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I keep getting it. My doctors never mention it, which is kind of weird. We think it's an issue with my absorption levels, as opposed to my intake, but I'm still taking supplements when I remember to. I just kind of hate being *that vegan* who's anemic.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm pretty much constantly anemic due to ridiculously heavy periods. I've gotten occasional supplementation from my GPs (like once a year when I can bother to ask about it), my levels go up, and then I stop, but within a month or two, I'm anemic again. My nephrologist is the first doctor to insist on continuous supplementation because she's concerned about the effects of long-term anemia on my kidneys. (I have degenerative kidney disease totally apart from the anemia, but apparently being anemic makes all your systems work harder, and my kidneys really don't need to work harder.)

The pills have always had a negative effect on my gut, so I'm always happy to stop supplementing. But one thing I've found recently that helps is rather than taking the pills on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, I take them in the middle of my evening meal. I know they say you absorb them better on an empty stomach, but I still seem to be absorbing them pretty well with the buffer of food, AND, since I eat a lot of vitamin C rich veggies with my evening meals, which help with absorption, I figure it evens out.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:51 pm 
Hip Goiter

Yeah my doctor said it could help to take with meals; I didn't even know it was best on an empty stomach! No thank you!

Do any of you remember what it was like when you first started an intense regimen? I want to feel all better quickly ;) but I imagine it'll take most of the 2-3 months.

Laughfrodisiac