| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for resources for putting on weight/muscle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

For a number of (stress-related) reasons, I lost a lot of weight in the second half of 2016, mostly because I effectively stopped eating properly - most days I was lucky to manage to eat one meal a day, and I'm well known among my friends for my love of food and cooking. I'm not dangerously underweight but I work a very physically strenuous job which from March will be much easier if I weigh quite a bit more than I do now and particularly if I can put on muscle quickly.

I have made a start to change my eating patterns (I've managed a minimum two meals a day since the start of December and have eaten three meals a day most days over the last couple of weeks) but I could do with some help to reach where I need to be in a few months time.

I am hoping that some PPKers can point me in the direction of some vegan-friendly resources/blogs/books which might help with this please? Thank you :)

Post subject: Re: Looking for resources for putting on weight/muscle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:40 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I can't help with the muscle thing because I am not 100% sure I actually have muscles, but I lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago due to stomach issues, but have managed to gain back to a healthy weight and maintain that for a year, despite still having those issues. I only eat about one and a half meals a day so I make sure that what I do eat packs a punch.

When I needed to gain weight but couldn't stomach food much, I ate a lot of rice. It's really easy on the stomach and also easy to make higher calorie - I used to mix in some vegan butter, soy sauce, seasoning (whatever you fancy) etc. Peanut butter is also a great mix in. You can cook rice in coconut milk too which adds a lot and tastes pretty good too.

Peanut butter and nut butters actually became a lifesaver, they are really high calorie for small amounts and easy to add to foods for an extra punch. Mix a spoonful of PB into curry or soup. Put some on toast or in a sandwich with whatever you're eating.

Also I found it really handy to have food I actually liked readily available at all times. If you struggle with eating often by the time you have got up and made food you are not really hungry anymore, or you just can't be bothered to start with. So, readily available snacks. If you're trying to build muscle you might be looking for more whole food type snacks, but still, if a snack is available and you don't have to prepare it, you're more likely to eat it. Make a big batch of cookies, keep some out and put the rest in the freezer. Once you've eaten the out ones, get more from the freezer. Have a bag of fruit and nuts or whatever handy just to snack on. If you feel peckish at all, you can just eat. Rather than feeling a bit hungry, but thinking "eh I can't be bothered" and then not just eating at all.

Good luck with the new job! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:30 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

What about protein ninja? I have made a few things from it which were good but I've not explored it enough!
Nuts and nut butters will help with weight gain too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:19 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Chickpea wrote:
What about protein ninja? I have made a few things from it which were good but I've not explored it enough!
Nuts and nut butters will help with weight gain too.

Thanks pal, I'll check that one out :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:22 am 
Total Hoover

You're already active, aren't you, and propably doing enough of the type of excercise that would build muscle if you had enough fuel. So it's a question of getting more calories and adequate protein.

Do you like chocolate soya milk? The 250ml tetra packs are easy to keep in a bag and if you're too stressed to eat, they might be a good option as you can just drink them. I'm not sure whether for someone with a small appetite they would then stop you eating as much at your next meal, but if you weren't going to eat anything at all they at least give you 7.75g of protein and 150 kcal each. (I don't have problems putting on weight but sometimes work is too hectic to take my break and eat something, but if I can grab 5 minutes to go to my locker I find the choc milk goes down very easily and no preparation is needed.)
If chocolate milk is too sweet, Alpro "Growing Up" soya milk might be more palatable and comes in 250ml cartons, though it is less widely available. It has 6.3g protein and 160kcal per carton. And there is another brand I can't remember the name of which can be found in Asian shops and some Tescos.

In general, keeping easy to eat, energy dense food around so that it is easy for you to eat either around work or when you're too tired to cook much will help.

Trek flapjacks, Wheaty spacebars and Primal Strips jerky are all expensive but very low-effort snacks to make a change from nuts etc (easy to keep in your bag and have with a coffee, but I wouldn't replace a whole meal with them).