| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: chronic pain/anti inflammatory "diet"
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:08 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

has anyone ever eaten in a way to reduce inflammation?
is it a bunch of hooey? does it help?

im starting to come to the realization that i have mild chronic pain.

my right sacro-iliac joint (in your hip) turns out weird and it causes me back pain. i go to a chiropractor when it gets bad and that helps. sometimes i go like a couple times a year and all is fine. other times i go more regularly because i have more pain. ever since having a kid it's gotten 100x worse. im sure something got pushed out of place though i was very small when i was pregnant. not only has the pain gotten worse i dont have the time to go to the chiro and now that i have a different health insurance it's $40 every time i go. so basically it just gets worse and worse and i dont sleep because i cant get comfortable.

so that's my main area of pain but i also just am generally often achy for no apparent reason. my knees and ankles and back are the worst spots though honestly i get achy everywhere. it could all be connected.

i know the smartest thing to do would be to go see a physical therapist because while the chiro helps manage the pain it's not fixing it.*****

however right now my job is stay at home parent so unless a PT had hours early in the morning or after work i cant go because i dont have anyone to watch my daughter. (this may change soon)

the biggest thing i need to do is lose weight. i had a rough summer and although i rejoined a gym (i quit when i had a horrible pregnancy and couldnt possibly do anything other than curl up in a ball and be cranky) but i havent had much opportunity to go this summer. things seem to be smoothing out so i am hoping to start going to the gym again. both losing weight and regular exercise im sure can only do chronic pain/inflammation good. i also want to start doing yoga again regularly.

so that is my long winded way of asking if anyone has eaten in an anti inflammatory style and if it helped??
i read a little bit and i dont plan on following on the many specific diets out there as they seem big into pushing fish but it seems that cutting out processed foods and white stuff (white sugar, white pasta, white bread, etc) is supposed to help cut down inflammation.
seems like the anti inflammatory diets are big into nuts (i imagine for the healthy fats?) which shouldnt be an issue

does any have experience with this?
does it make you feel better when you eat a certain way?

i used to take a curcumin supplement but stopped when i was pregnant because it's expensive and i wasnt sure if pregnant ladies should take it.

im so tired of being in so much pain. my kid is a terrible sleeper so i dont sleep a lot because of that but on the odd chance she is sleeping i cant sleep because my hip is so forked up.

*****i know a lot of people on the ppk are anti-chiropractor. im not looking to open that discussion up. im just merely saying the things ive done.

Post subject: Re: chronic pain/anti inflammatory "diet"
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:58 pm 
Inflexitarian

We adopted a modified version of this for my husband. He has a condition called ankylosing spondylitis. It is an autoimmune condition much like rheumatoid arthritis but it specifically affects the spine. We decided to give this a try to see if it helped. For a long time it did, and he was able to get off all pain medication, which in turn got him off heartburn medication since the heartburn was a side effect of the pain meds. His is a degenerative condition though, so while it helped for several years, eventually he needed meds again.

He is omni, so he still ate some meat. But what we did was greatly reduce processed foods, sugar, and grains, but we did not eliminate any of them. We moved to a lot more whole foods. And most drastically we greatly upped our fresh fruits and veggies. My thoughts in trying it was that this way of eating is healthier anyway (compared to how we ate before) so even if it didn't help his back, it was probably a good thing. The main thing that changed was portion sizes and the propotion of the things on our plate. So pasta with some kind of sauce and broccoli became a ton of broccoli and a smaller portion of pasta and sauce. Now when I make a veggie fried rice, there are more veggies than rice. So we eat mostly the same things, just not as much of some stuff and a lot more of other stuff. We aim for 8-10 servings of fruits and veggies a day. For sugar, I follow the mayo clinic recommendations of less than 6 teaspoons of added sugars a day. That is really not a lot, but it is doable.

I'd be happy to chat with you more if you want. I hope you find something that helps. Chronic pain is awful.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:12 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

It sounds like woo to me, but that's not based on any knowledge; I'm just suspicious of most dietary claims.

I know that I feel overall better when I eat healthier just because it seems like feeling crappy in other regards lowers my pain tolerance and I start noticing pain instead of ignoring it/blocking it out. I had a (pretty minor) headache this morning and was really miserable and my back hurt so badly, but when the headache finally went away, so did most of my back pain. It's weird.

I mostly wanted to say that most physical therapy offices have really good hours. The one I went to was located inside a hospital and was open until from something like 7am to 9pm.

Water aerobics might be helpful. There is a wellness center here that has Aqua therapy for arthritis etc in a slightly heated pool. I need to start doing that even though it's a bit of a drive. Regular water aerobics has been extremely helpful.

I'm sorry that you are going through this and hope you can get some relief.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's not woo, as such things have been studied in a peer reviewed fashion :).

curcumin is found in tumeric, though I'm sure you probably already know that. I try to include some turmeric in my diet every day. Sour tart cherries are also helpful. capsaicin, which is from peppers so like hot sauce and stuff like that. Omega-3s in whatever fashion you want to find those...

I have a few things with my body that I need to be concerned with inflammation about... psoriasis, ibs, and some old sports injuries. So I also include ginger for my belly. Garlic can help some people, but it's a trigger for my ibs so I steer clear of it. I also reduce flour, sugar, and caffeine if I am having a flare up. I try to be moderate about that stuff in other times. I almost always eat white rice because I prefer it over brown. I'm not willing to give up white rice because I don't feel that it has that much of an impact of the above health conditions (for me anyways).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:21 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thanks everyone for the feedback. i think a lot of the things you guys are saying make a lot of sense.

i think im going to try to cut back on processed food and the "white stuff" to see if it helps.
DEG i think what you were saying made a lot of sense. not necessarily cutting everything out 100% but refocusing on the whole foods and vegs

im glad to know that a lot of physical therapists have good hours. ive been meaning to call one forever. i even got so far once to call my regular dr to see what i needed in terms of referals and all that and then i never called a PT.

i knew curcumin was in tumeric but i wasnt sure how much tumeric you needed to ingest for it to have the same benefits. i actually still have a bottle of curcumin supplements in my house. theyre expired but my understanding of expirations on stuff like that is they just become less potent so i might still use them.

i keep saying i want to go to a yoga class regularly. my mom just retired and saw me saying on facebook that i want to start doing yoga again and she asked if she could go too so maybe that will motivate me to actually go.

i went to the chiro this morning and he showed me some stretches for my hip. my hip has been killing me all day but i think it's because he whacked it back into place where it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I wish I lived closer I'd go to yoga with you!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

If you don't want to deal with supplements, drinking turmeric milk once or twice a day is a good way of getting it. You can find a lot of recipes online but it's basically a teaspoon of fresh grated turmeric or 1/2 t dry along with a pinch of black pepper (piperine supposedly increases the bioavailability of curcumin) per cup of almond or coconut milk. You can sweeten it with maple syrup or stevia and most recipes add some combination of cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and ginger. You simmer the whole thing for a few minutes and drink as is, or you can add a little coconut oil and froth it in the blender for more of a latte. It's a very soothing thing to drink before bed.

I've also had to change the way I eat recently and the cookbooks and websites that are usually mocked for being "pretty girl vegan" have been a great help to me. I've only dealing with one allergy but when I started eating in what could be considered a semi-woo way 80-90% of the time I started feeling better across the board. I only set out to avoid soy and it just worked out that most of the recipes in the books I knew were soy-free also restricted a lot of other things. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I'm really enjoying it now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hey I was just coming here to start a thread, because I am so so so tired of feeling so shitty all the time. It's especially sad for me, because I went through a bout about four months ago where I was feeling great! And full of energy! And even running!

Anyway, I have toooooooons of inflammation in my body. My SED is through the roof, which is really troubling to me considering I eat a really good diet and don't eat gluten (which is inflammatory). I also have a rheumatic arthritis in my SI joints, which is just like the AS mentioned above, but mine is not degenerative. So it basically boils down to auto immune bullshiitake. My rheumatologist told me to stop eating refined sugar as well, so I've been off that for about seven months or so. I still eat dates and coconut sugar, and maple syrup sometimes and wonder if this is just as bad.

I also see a naturopath who I really like. I don't like any woo woo stuff, so everything she suggests is based on science and studies. I try to take a turmeric blend every day (it has stuff in it to make the good stuff more absorbable). I also am supposed to take a therapeutic dose of Seven Sources, which is an EFA/EPA/DHA oil that is totally vegan. It's sorta like Udo's Oil, but better. It's made by Flora, which is the same company.

I was hoping for support here. On top of the arthritis, I have chronic muscle pain and probably arthritis in my knees, because they hurt a lot.

It's making me so sad.
xo
kittee

pakupaku
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Also, what do y'all think about leaky gut? My naturopath is gonna test me for some gut things, but I do eat lots of fermented foods regularly.
xo
kittee

pakupaku
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:47 am 
WRETCHED

Lisa,

I think you do need to go to a physical therapist and there are ones that have a wide variety of hours. For chronic pain, especially something that is temporarily helped by a chiropractor, it is probably your muscles pulling your joints out of whack and if you get the right exercises, it can help. They can show you exercises to help correct your muscles. Something that also helps is doing mobility exercises, such as http://www.mobilitywod.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:21 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yeah it's been on my "to-do" list for quite awhile.

trying to get through the whole "kid had dental surgery then immediately starting teething" nightmare that is my life.

ive even had the webpage open for the place i need to call for the past three days cause IM TOTALLY GONNA DO IT! (that's what i tell myself) ;-)

kittee im sorry you are feeling so yucky. i dont have any specific advice :-(
i have not started eating any differently yet for the above toddler related reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LisaPunk wrote:
yeah it's been on my "to-do" list for quite awhile.

trying to get through the whole "kid had dental surgery then immediately starting teething" nightmare that is my life.

ive even had the webpage open for the place i need to call for the past three days cause IM TOTALLY GONNA DO IT! (that's what i tell myself) ;-)

kittee im sorry you are feeling so yucky. i dont have any specific advice :-(
i have not started eating any differently yet for the above toddler related reasons.

Thanks! I didn't mean to hog your thread last night. If you can afford the 7 Sources it's really easy to take in smoothies. I'd also suggest ditching the gluten and refined sugar to see if it helps.

xox
Kittee

pakupaku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:38 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

no worries post away!

one of my goals is to cut way down on refined sugar because i have a wicked sweet tooth but i know it's not helping anything besides making my tummy temporarily happy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:09 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Xocolatl wrote:
turmeric milk .

i had this last night and it was brilliant. (i love turmeric -- even though I kind of screwed up the recipe it was still great).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:48 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I just want to echo what everyone is saying and agree that for a bunch of autoimmune issues (helpful a lot in RA, and v. necessary in celiac or chron's etc) this diet can be SUPER HELPFUL, like, life-changing. Things like gluten and sugar and soy (and sometimes caffeine!) can trigger flares in a lot of people. I have a few friends who have been able to control a lot of pain this way.

I recommend trying it and at the very least you might feel better energy-wise?

I don't want to rain on the parade, but be prepared that sometimes it doesn't work, depending on what the underlying cause of your pain is:

I'm already a pretty "healthy" eater, but I was on a more extreme "elimination diet" for like 2 months between doctor's appts recently because I read about it and I'm currently refusing pain treatment for my MCTD (essentially no painkillers because I have a history of addiction and no prednisone because I'm 25, the disease is degenerative and incurable, and I am not ready to fork up my body on long-term use steroids yet) so I am CONSTANTLY looking for ways to manage pain.

(sidebar: any other pain management tips? PM ME PLS)

Nothing changed, still had pain, talked to my doctor and he told me: "uh, I mean, good for you that's a healthy way of eating but your body is still destroying itself so." etc.

so now I'm back to a comparatively lower amount of gluten and a normal amount of soy because I got out of the habit of buying things with it tbh.

I still don't eat processed sugar or white flour foods but that's just because they make me feel shitty in other ways (I get hot and sorta agitated? this is an aside and has nothing to do with what you're talking about, sorry.)
and I don't drink caffeine anymore because of the medication I'm now on.

so anyway, the answers might not be in the exact diets, but if you're looking to feel healthier in general it can't hurt for a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:00 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hey guys. So my lovely manfriend has recently been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (likely ankylosing spondylitis, final diagnosis pending). He's on medication but still quite sore a lot of the time.

He's thinking of trying a low starch/no starch diet for a while, but is a bit devastated I think, being a Starch Fan.

Does anyone know of any sources for yummy, filling recipes that are vegan and low/no starch? I'll be googling too but it's good to get recommendations :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jennyg2207 wrote:
Hey guys. So my lovely manfriend has recently been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (likely ankylosing spondylitis, final diagnosis pending). He's on medication but still quite sore a lot of the time.

He's thinking of trying a low starch/no starch diet for a while, but is a bit devastated I think, being a Starch Fan.

Does anyone know of any sources for yummy, filling recipes that are vegan and low/no starch? I'll be googling too but it's good to get recommendations :)

I don't, but I also have spondyloarthropathy and have recently started taking Low Dose Naltrexone. Google it, it might help!
xo
kittee

pakupaku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:49 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

kittee wrote:
I don't, but I also have spondyloarthropathy and have recently started taking Low Dose Naltrexone. Google it, it might help!
xo
kittee

Thanks kittee. He's on Piroxicam at the moment, as a sort of holding measure until he can register with the rheumatology dept here in Manchester, having just moved from Bristol a few days ago. Do you find the Naltrexone is helping you? (Google tells me it is used to treat alcohol abuse - have I got the right one??)

Ta :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Don't google naltrexone--Google low dose naltrexone.

Yes! I think it's really helping!
xo
Kittee

pakupaku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:56 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks. Sorry, obviously we are new to all this!

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:51 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Has anyone here tried eliminating nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers) and citrus fruit? I've seen this recommendation from more than one source but I don't want to cut them unless I hear it worked for someone, since my diet is already limited -- not only vegan, but also low sodium and low sugar. Once I cut acid, what can I flavor with?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:54 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

jennyg2207 wrote:

It might be worth looking at diabetes-friendly recipe books and forums as well as diet-type low-carb ones.

Lidl have high protein bread rolls that are vegan. Less than 10g of carbohydrates/starch per serving. They're bloody good. 39p a roll is also okay.
Info:
Spoiler: show
Ingredients: Water, Linseeds, Wheat Protein, Soya Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Sesame, Soybean Meal, Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Yeast, Salt, Colouring Spice Extracts (Curcuma).
Nutritional Information:
Typical Values per 100g:
Energy 1194kJ/268kcal
Fat 13.4g (Of which saturates 0.4g)
Carbohydrate 8.5g (Of which sugars 0.5g)
Fibre 12.4g
Protein 26.7g
Salt 0.99g
LFL wrote:
Has anyone here tried eliminating nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, peppers) and citrus fruit? I've seen this recommendation from more than one source but I don't want to cut them unless I hear it worked for someone, since my diet is already limited -- not only vegan, but also low sodium and low sugar. Once I cut acid, what can I flavor with?
For citrus fruits: it's fairly well established that what you eat doesn't affect your body's pH; your lungs regulate it every time you breathe and your kidneys process anything that remains or is created along the way. Is that what you were talking about?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:54 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Gulliver wrote:
LFL wrote:
For citrus fruits: it's fairly well established that what you eat doesn't affect your body's pH; your lungs regulate it every time you breathe and your kidneys process anything that remains or is created along the way. Is that what you were talking about?

No. I have acid reflux and other digestive issues, and my doctor recently suggested to me that I cut tomatoes and citrus fruit for that reason.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:22 am 
Inflexitarian

According to "How Not To Die" by Michael Greger, many fruit, vegetables and spices have salicylic acid (the active ingredient in Aspirin), and he suggests eating a lot of them. He says the highest concentration is in chili powder, paprika, turmeric and most of all cumin. He says a teaspoon of ground cumin may be the equivalent of a baby aspirin. Also, he says there is a higher concentration of the acid in organic produce and in whole foods.

According to other sections of the book, some of the most anti-inflammatory whole foods are berries, greens, intact whole grains (not ground) and mushrooms.

Personnally, I cut out all oil and white grains from my kitchen (I eat them about three meals a week at work), and my joint pains and migraines are better while my stress, anxiety and depression symptoms are gone. But it's been only one month, so it's too early to tell. Anyway, I love the food I make, and I can adapt most recipes to make them into whole foods, so I intend to go on anyway. I've been using recipes from Del Sroufe's cookbooks or adapting recipes from other books.

Here's the recipe I use for including turmeric and whole foods into 1 tasty, big, thick smoothie (if not using a Vitamix, I suggest adding more liquid):
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, unfortified soy milk
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 orange
- 2-3 kale leaves
- a heaping half-cup frozen mixed berries (blueberry, strawberry, raspberry and blackberry)
- 1/2 cup frozen cranberries
- 1 frozen sliced banana

And I sneak berries and spices in my oatmeal:
- 1/2 cup quick oatmeal (not instant)
- 1 cup unsweetened, unfortified soy milk
- 2 tbsp juice-sweetened dried cranberries
- ground cinnamon to taste
- ground cardamom to taste
I cook it until thick, then sprinkle with 1 tbsp ground flaxseed and a little maple syrup.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:36 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

LFL wrote:
Gulliver wrote:
LFL wrote:

No. I have acid reflux and other digestive issues, and my doctor recently suggested to me that I cut tomatoes and citrus fruit for that reason.

Well, I was going to suggest vinegar for acid but if you are supposed to cut out citrus fruit (and tomatoes) because of the acid that's not going to work.

I am not a medical expert so this is just my personal two cents: I sort of cannot imagine that the acid in tomatoes (and citrus fruit) is going to make such a difference to the acidity in your stomach, considering the acidity of the gastric acid. Or rather: technically anything that is less acidic than gastric acid dilutes it when it is being added. I think.
For everything that is coming after the stomach the same reasoning applies, no matter what you put in, it will always have the same pH when it leaves the stomach.

For other digestive issues things like fiber content etc. can play a big role obviously. And citrus fruits have lots of stringy fibers so that might be worth considering.

The nightshade thing sounds so woo to me... what is the argument against them? When we are talking about easily digested food for people with gastric issues, potatoes are like the first thing that comes to mind. I would think that eggplants are also easy on the gastric system. The skins on tomatoes and peppers might be a different story but other than that....

And one other point that has been a big realization for me in the past years: doctors do not always know what they are talking about, but they are usually good at not letting that show. So especially when doctors start talking about something that is not their explicit specialty I tend to be wary. And sometimes they might recommend something they don't even believe in themselves but they might think that their patient wants to hear.