| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No Poo
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:11 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I thought we had a thread on this, but it must have been on the old boards.

I've been no pooing for over a week, and I was wondering how often no pooing PPKers use the baking soda rinse. I was reading somewhere online that people use it every 4-5 days, but I use it almost everyday (I work out regularly). I trust the PPK more than every contradicting resource I find on Google.

Is there anything bad about using it everyday? Is it too harsh? Is no pooing a long term thing?

Post subject: Re: No Poo
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:21 pm 
ugh

I've been doing that for several months now. I do the rinse every other day, and I don't go to the gym or anything that would make me sweaty most days. Everyone's hair is different, though - just wash your hair as often as it feels like it needs to be washed.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:36 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've been going without poo for about the same length of time as you, Niev and have also been using the baking soda rinse daily. When the oil production goes down, I'll probably be switching to every other day. I've found I don't need the apple cider vinegar rinse daily though. Hoping it's long-term for me because I'm preferring it over shampoo/conditioner.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:41 pm 

Thanks! Does anyone use an oil conditioner (like coconut)? I read that some people do it, but that it's difficult to get the oil out with the BS rinse.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:49 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I haven't washed/conditioned (just rinsing with water) in years and it's still pretty good times. even some pretty harsh critics have been surprised :)

I think my ex did ACV/bicarb about once a week though which worked okay for her

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

When I did no poo, I had to wash my hair every other day because any less frequently would leave my hair disgusting and greasy. I can't nowadays because I have blue hair and I don't want everything to wash out, so I use dry shampoo more often than wet in order to keep my color.

Anyway, to answer your questions, it might be a little harsh on your hair and scalp to wash everyday. You'll notice if you start itching and getting dandruff. I recommend trying to extend the period between washes as much as you can without looking dirty. No pooing is definitely something you can do long term. I did it for over two years and will probably go back one day when I have my natural color again.

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:33 pm 
Huffs Nooch

It took me until the last post of this thread to realize that it was not about constipation AND rinsing your hair using baking soda. I just kept asking myself, "How do these two topics relate?!".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:43 am 
Saggy Butt

I've been doing this for a few weeks now, and I love it. There are 2 drawbacks, however, one being that I can smell the vinegar if I don't allow my hair to dry completely before leaving the house (normally I'd tie it up while still ever so slightly damp - I don't have a hair dryer). The second problem is that the baking soda rinse most definitely does not work for me to get coconut oil out, and neither does the black soap I use on my skin. So I've modified my routine a bit from what I started with, and have been using my old bottle of shampoo (The Body Shop brand) once a week on the morning after I've slept with coconut oil in my hair. I guess I'll keep doing this until I can find a simpler ingredient to get the coconut oil out. But I figure, one shampoo a week isn't such a big deal. I'm still saving loads of money using baking soda and vinegar, I'm not going to get buildup on my scalp with this routine, and I'm not being very harsh on my hair.

I wash my hair every other day now, whereas before I did so every day. My hair gets kind of greasy, especially because I have bangs that drape across my face which I moisturize quite heavily, and then I brush the hair out of my eyes with my hands, transferring that oil onto the hair.... But I'm trying to get in the habit of washing it less frequently, hoping that with time I can learn to overcome the oily issues.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:02 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

VCD - When I no poo, I add a drop or two of lavender essential oil to the rinse, and even my husband, who hates the smell of vinegar like you wouldn't believe, tells me my hair smells great.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:04 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

nebulae wrote:
It took me until the last post of this thread to realize that it was not about constipation AND rinsing your hair using baking soda. I just kept asking myself, "How do these two topics relate?!".

Likewise!

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is going on, though I think I'm starting to understand.

I was so excited to talk about the amazing poop I had this morning after a few days without, too. Blast!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:11 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I came on here to recommend dried dates to get you going again. Just saying.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:49 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

nebulae wrote:
A tear almost came to my eye reading this thread. It's so funny.

At the beginning, I was wondering what you were rinsing, exactly. Then, I thought 'this is the PPK, how could they not be openly discussing douching their rectums with baking soda as a cure for constipation?'. But I was wrong. Beautifully, magnificently wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

Vegan Candida Diet wrote:
I've been doing this for a few weeks now, and I love it. There are 2 drawbacks, however, one being that I can smell the vinegar if I don't allow my hair to dry completely before leaving the house (normally I'd tie it up while still ever so slightly damp - I don't have a hair dryer). The second problem is that the baking soda rinse most definitely does not work for me to get coconut oil out, and neither does the black soap I use on my skin. So I've modified my routine a bit from what I started with, and have been using my old bottle of shampoo (The Body Shop brand) once a week on the morning after I've played chess with coconut oil in my hair. I guess I'll keep doing this until I can find a simpler ingredient to get the coconut oil out. But I figure, one shampoo a week isn't such a big deal. I'm still saving loads of money using baking soda and vinegar, I'm not going to get buildup on my scalp with this routine, and I'm not being very harsh on my hair.

1) Do you use white or apple cider vinegar? I recommend ACV if you're not already using it, and if you think you are, but it's the clear supermarket kind, switch to organic. Supermarket ACV is sometimes just colored normal vinegar, and will not give you the shiny locks and delicious earthy smell that organic delivers. Otherwise, I don't know how to help and hopefully you'll learn to love the smell.

2) What's the texture of your hair? If you have straight and/or fine hair, you don't really need the coconut oil unless your scalp is literally flaking off. I'm European/Middle Eastern, so as a general rule, I try to keep all extra oil out, whereas my friend is African/Jamaican and applies oil.

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:05 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

nebulae wrote:

Thank you. I thought maybe "rinsing your hair" was some euphemism for an enema, and then I was thinking, I don't think a baking soda enema is a very good idea...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:29 pm 
Saggy Butt

Thanks Chatter. My hair is a little on the dry/brittle side, which is why I decided to try out the coconut oil. It's pretty long and I want to grow it longer, so I'm just trying to take better care of it and put more attention into nurturing it. I guess I don't absolutely need to use the oil, but I do like it and for the time being I'm happy enough using shampoo once a week. I started out using organic apple cider vinegar, but then I switched to a cheaper kind for the cost benefit and apart from smelling a little stronger I haven't noticed any difference. The smell is okay though, I tend to get up earlier than I need to anyways so usually my hair is totally dry before I'm out the door. Just every now and then I slip up, and have to hope no one minds the faint smell of vinegar!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:31 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

mollyisademon wrote:
nebulae wrote:

Thank you. I thought maybe "rinsing your hair" was some euphemism for an enema, and then I was thinking, I don't think a baking soda enema is a very good idea...

I actually was thinking of that nightmare inducing picture of the fuzzy butt in a white thong when the subject of hair came up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:27 pm 

Haha, I forgot about all the confusion this thread caused.

Just coming back to say that I did not continue with No Poo, but I'm totally back into it now. Anyone else?

I'm hoping to have it go well. My hair is a little greasy right now, and I'm super nervous that it'll be greasy for my sister's engagement party. I did the BS mixture on Tuesday and plan wash again tomorrow. Hopefully oil will go down.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:02 am 

still sans-poo! actually my hair has been forked for the first time in a long time this week. a combination of (longer story short) one shower across 5 or 6 days, coupled with sweaty, helmety bike riding. alas. a quick rinse today and it was as good as gold!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:37 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I've tried for such a long time to "no 'poo." The best I have managed is to greatly reduce the frequency of my shampooing/conditioning. My problem is that ACV makes my hair sticky & tacky feeling. I can't figure out why. Also, I have dark hair (the ones that aren't grey. And those are increasing in number daily.) Baking soda leaves a white residue in my hair. I'm obviously doing everything wrong, here. :D Can someone help?

How much baking soda to how much water?
How much ACV to how much water?
How long do you leave in? Or rinse out immediately?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:51 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Try white vinegar instead of the ACV for oily hair.

I do 1 tbsp to 1 cup water- both BS and Vinegar solutions. I use about 1/5 of each each time I wash, which is fortnightly (water only in between).

If your hair is greasy up the BS, lower the Vinegar concentration. For dry hair do the opposite. Keep a hair diary for a while to help work it out.

Make sure the baking soda is completely dissolved in the water and rinse it out really well. I use a shower comb to ensure I have it all out.

Do you have soft water? Sounds like you might have some mineral residue... If you make your solutions with distilled water.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:22 am 

Using the vinegar rinse on your ends only will help a lot, maybe that in combination with the white vinegar will solve everything. That's what I've been doing. I also just found a no-poo recipe without BS. It used coconut milk and aloe vera.

I did BS this morning and all oiliness is gone. I'm confident that I'll be fine for my sister's engagement party. No one will ever know what a dirty hippie I am!

joshua, I can't even fathom the amount of money you must be saving with water only. I hope I get to that point, but I'm scared to try while I'm working out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:10 am 

Niev wrote:
joshua, I can't even fathom the amount of money you must be saving with water only. I hope I get to that point, but I'm scared to try while I'm working out.

well, two things:
I pull off the "dude, your hair is pointing sideways" look pretty well, so even on bad days no one really cares to mention it :P and fortunately I don't have to deal with being "presentable" (coughcough) at work really, so it's never an issue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:29 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

mollyisademon wrote:
nebulae wrote:

Same! I thought it sounded complicated and that I'd rather eat a prune and some broccoli or something.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

For about 3 years I never used anything but water in my hair, and then it just simply didn't work any more. I was sad.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:37 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

What if you have very dry hair? As my hair greys, it is getting drier, breaking easily - the grey ones, that is. The black hairs are still very strong. I wash far less frequently, which helps to prevent the over-drying and the breakage. I would love to find a solution for the ACV that doesn't leave my hair feeling stripped, gummy, tacky. Any ideas?