| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: No Poo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:13 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I never used any soap or shampoo on R when he was a baby, he got plenty clean with just water. He hates having his hair washed, so we still only run a wet washcloth over his hair and it looks and smells fine (he's two and a half).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:43 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm in love with the idea of this but have otherwise been miserable since I started doing it.

5 weeks so far of all grease and no glam.

I wash every other day using approx. 2tbsp baking soda to 1 cup water, and rinse with a couple generous squirts of the ACV batch I keep handy in my shower, also 2tbsp to one cup ratio.

Sigh...

I do want to include a positive thingy though! Baking soda is the shiitake as both a facewash and as an underarm deodorant.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:45 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

What are you doing about the greasy hair? Dry shampoo/baby powder, or covering it up? I'd LOVE to do the no poo transition, but the greasy stage is what's kept me from taking that leap. I can't wear hats or anything like that to work, and I don't want to look like I just haven't showered in weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:32 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

if you need to clean the length during the adjustment period, you can totally use a shampoo, just don't get it on your scalp. i mean, you can even get it on your scalp, but don't let it happen more often than every other week or so. any amount of lengthening the time between sessions of stripping the oil off of your scalp is a good thing.

also, on the livejournal community, folks with fine straight hair had luck with not closing the scales on the hair. (allowing the oils to soak into the hair kept it from sitting on top of it looking horrible.) they just didn't use the ACV rinse. (but keep in mind, our skin really likes to be acidic, and not neutralizing the baking soda could be bad in the long run. so don't do that too often.) you can also try to squirt the ACV just on the scalp, avoiding the length, so the oils can soak in a little farther down. also, jinaiya, your measurements are twice as strong as suggested. had you tried with less concentrated dilutions and not had success? if the oils are sitting on your hair, definitely try a less concentrated ACV and see if that helps at all. also, really scrub that baking soda solution in really well. it'll get slippery, but keep scrubbing. the slipperiness is the saponified sebum that's helping scrub other sebum away.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:41 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

zelavie wrote:
What are you doing about the greasy hair? Dry shampoo/baby powder, or covering it up? I'd LOVE to do the no poo transition, but the greasy stage is what's kept me from taking that leap. I can't wear hats or anything like that to work, and I don't want to look like I just haven't showered in weeks.

I... umm.. keep my head covered in a toque (Canadian.... sorry!), and I don't leave my house.

So okay, I may have exaggerated a little, but it doesn't look pretty and not sure what to do really. I keep it in a ponytail at all times now and pin it back with bobby pins, its been weeks since I've let my hair down... literally! I tried a light dash of cornstarch in it the other day after reading a thread somewhere about it, but all that did was put some white film on my hair that I couldn't seem to chase off. Not exactly what I was going for.

Thanks for the tip supercarrot. I had no idea I was using too much. Almost every where I have read about this (I'm talking about 6-7 blogs) tend to say 1tbsp BS to one cup water and 1tbsp ACV to 1 cup water. I'll try half tbsps. of both next time, can't hurt!

EDIT: Read my initial post and saw I put 2tbsp. That's ummm, my blonde moment for the day. I'm using 1tbsp of both, I swear!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:37 am 

haha! ok, keep your concentrations, but use less. (i used to consistently need only 1/4 cup of the BS solution to get slippery. i would use all of the ACV, in fact i usually use 2x, but i have thick curly hair.)

so this is what i suggest. your next shower, do a full cleansing with [silicone-free] shampoo if you still have some, to kickstart yourself. i'd think 5 weeks of grease would be plenty to have weaned yourself off. so clean slate yourself with the shampoo, rinse with the ACV, and then see how long you can go without your next BS wash. (and at that point stop adding the BS once you get to the slippery stage. you'd be surprised with how little BS you really need once your scalp is at a happy stage.)

do you have a squirty bottle that can direct the BS down to your roots? pouring it from a cup is usually ineffective because it just slides right off into the drain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:58 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

supercarrot wrote:
do you have a squirty bottle that can direct the BS down to your roots?

I do! Complete with a pretty pink ribbon!

I will try your suggestions! Thanks oodles! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:43 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I've noticed that it's definitely the baking soda that de-greases. So yeah, if you're feeling greasy, do a BS scrub, rinse it out well, then do it again! I used to need to do this with regular shampoo sometimes, when my hair was super greasy, one go with the shampoo just can't eat away enough grease! And like Supercarrot said, really scrub it in there!

As far as updates on my No 'poo, I haven't used shampoo once since I started! It has not cured me of itchy scalp, but that's okay, like I said no shampoo did either, and I like the way my hair looks and feels now more than before. Actually the fact that this method cuts less grease than shampoo is a big benefit for me, I prefer the way my hair looks with some grease. Whenever it get's super clean and oil-free, it turns into a big 'ol poof.

And I've never noticed this grey/sebum stuff. I wonder if that's because I don't comb my hair/it's too short? I certainly don't feel any residue!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:41 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Okay, so I'm finally gonna do this! I have 8 days off work, so I can play a little without worrying about my hair looking disgusting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:14 pm 

you can do it!

now for me. i don't remember if i ever wrote about this on these boards, but for years i never really had a dandruff-free scalp. (it was like solid plates of dead skin that wouldn't budge.) it looks like the 3 feet of hair was impeding my ability to really get a good scrubbing in. now that it's gone, it looks like my scalp is happier. so far, i've done 1 henna'ing, 1 BS scrub + ACV rinse, 1 manic panic session (but i kept it off my scalp for the most part) and finally a shikakai scrub + aubrey organics honeysuckle rose conditioner.

i did have to use shampoo before i cut it, (if you're not following the hair thread, i sold it, and the buyer needed it to be sebum free) but i did avoid using it on my scalp. it took a few days for my hair to get back to normal/less puffy/dry. it's really funny though. it was less curly the morning after the cut. i wonder if the lack of sebum caused that. all puff, not much curl.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:50 am 
Level 7 Vegan

My last shampoo/conditioner day was Saturday. I did BS/ACV on Monday and again today. My hair doesn't look greasy at all (YAY!), but the clump of hair from the shower drain was about three times the normal size. Not good, since I don't exactly have a ton of hair to lose! Part of that is because I combed in the shower, although a good bit was already there before combing. After the ACV rinse, my hair felt like a bird's nest, and it's so much easier to comb out tangles in the shower.

So... any suggestions on the tangling and hair loss issues? I wear my hair curly, so there is no brushing on a regular basis. I guess if I went back to the flat iron and brush, it might help. But it's only been about 2 years since I fully embraced the curls, and I don't really want to go back!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:29 pm 

oh no! the ACV shouldn't give you the crispies! it's the BS that would make the tangling worse, but the ACV should make it nice and silky. did you rinse the BS before putting the ACV in? (and are you using a natural brand of ACV or heinz?)

i always found it easiest to comb while the ACV is in the hair. so my process is:
1) wet hair
(optional primary detangling*)
2) BS or shikakai (i do admit, sometimes i would comb the shikakai through, and very rarely, the baking soda, but only when i needed a deep cleaning of the length)
3) rinse well
4) add ACV + comb well
5) rinse + comb

are you using a wide toothed comb? i really like the goody slicker one with the offset bristles. that was great for long hair. it might be a little awkward for short hair. it was like a brush but not a brush at the same time. i also got this "wet brush" and "wet comb", and so far i've only tried the wet comb while i had long hair, but it was a little difficult. it might be better now that it doesn't have to travel that far. the brush, though is pretty useless for people with abundant hair. the bristles are way too flexible, and it doesn't go all the way to the scalp at the back of my head. it also negatively affected my curls, since it was only useful while out of the shower.

also, henna will make your hair feel a little bird's nesty after rinsing it out. the next shower should be better.

there's also nothing wrong with using a silicone-free conditioner on your length if you need it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:35 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I had been doing no poo since the begining of November, and the past few weeks my hair hadn't felt as clean afterwards. My scalp was super gross and oily, and the day after I washed my hair it looked like it needed to be cleaned again. I'd only been doing it once a week (I tried every 5 days when it started getting icky, and then 4, but it didn't help at all), so I don't think I was over washing?

I finally just used the last of my TJ shampoo and conditioner when I washed Sunday. It seems to have helped? My scalp isn't the oily gross mess it had been. It's day 5 since I washed and my hair still looks clean, so I'm hoping this solved the issues for now and no poo will work well again.

Aside from that issue, loving no poo though. I tried it a couple of years ago and did it for almost a year before I gave up (my hair had started to get so gross), so maybe the key is just washing with a gentle shampoo every couple of months when things start to get wonky?

The prerinse with ACV has almost totally taken care of my dandruff and itchie scalp, so yay!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:11 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

supercarrot wrote:
oh no! the ACV shouldn't give you the crispies! it's the BS that would make the tangling worse, but the ACV should make it nice and silky. did you rinse the BS before putting the ACV in? (and are you using a natural brand of ACV or heinz?)

i always found it easiest to comb while the ACV is in the hair. so my process is:
1) wet hair
(optional primary detangling*)
2) BS or shikakai (i do admit, sometimes i would comb the shikakai through, and very rarely, the baking soda, but only when i needed a deep cleaning of the length)
3) rinse well
4) add ACV + comb well
5) rinse + comb

are you using a wide toothed comb? i really like the goody slicker one with the offset bristles. that was great for long hair. it might be a little awkward for short hair. it was like a brush but not a brush at the same time. i also got this "wet brush" and "wet comb", and so far i've only tried the wet comb while i had long hair, but it was a little difficult. it might be better now that it doesn't have to travel that far. the brush, though is pretty useless for people with abundant hair. the bristles are way too flexible, and it doesn't go all the way to the scalp at the back of my head. it also negatively affected my curls, since it was only useful while out of the shower.

also, henna will make your hair feel a little bird's nesty after rinsing it out. the next shower should be better.

there's also nothing wrong with using a silicone-free conditioner on your length if you need it.

So I should try to avoid getting the BS on the length of my hair? I squirted it directly on my scalp, but I'm sure a fair amount got on the rest of my hair. I'll try that, and brushing while the ACV is in, next time. Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:41 pm 

simply_love, yeah it's absolutely fine to do an occasional buildup removal with shampoo. when it becomes a problem is when your scalp is routinely stripped. once in a while is no big deal at all.

zelavie, yeah, if your length seems fine otherwise, there's no need to get the BS on it. the BS is mainly for scalp cleansing. (and then the mild proto-soap that occurs from the BS combining with your sebum on the scalp can be used to wash the length if you like.) i've found that a BS wash on the length 3-4 days after my henna'ing helps to get excess buildup off, and helps it be less straw-like.

remember, there's no need to use the entire cup of the 1:16 BS mixture. just squirt in batches between scrubbing your scalp, and stop squirting as soon as you feel the slipperiness. (but scrub as long as you feel you need it) lately i've just been putting 1 tsp in my squirty bottle with some water, and that's been quite enough. it also helps to lean over. my follicles stick out of my head more readily when i'm leaned over.

i just remembered i wanted to write a little extra something about the primary detangling, but forgot. (hence the asterisk) but i totally forget what i was going to write. i probably was going to say something about sebum being a fine detangler, and that there wasn't much of a problem with tangles prior to washing (except when my hair started growing past the tailbone. lots of tangling then. but up until that point, it was actually pretty smooth sailing. especially with a wooden comb. but after a while, it becomes soft and grippy, and glides through less easily.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:31 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

The next rinse after my last post was super-tangly as well, but the last one was totally fine. Maybe my hair just needed to get used to the new stuff? Either way, I think my hair was totally made for this method, because I don't seem to have had any adjustment period at all! The greasy horror stories are what kept me from doing this a year or so ago, and now I'm sorry that I waited.

And Supercarrot, it's awesome how helpful you are on these boards! I probably wouldn't be doing either henna or no poo without you! :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:03 pm 

<3
:-)

yeah the "detox" horror stories are mostly for people with either super fine straight hair or anyone who had been shampooing their hair every single day. coarse curlies who were already water conservationists have a much easier time with the transition.

now i just need to convert you to fertility awareness and my work here will be done. :-p

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:19 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I had a high chance of being a horror story, then - my hair is pretty fine, wavy, and I'd been shampooing 5-6 times a week. SO glad it turned out the right way!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:44 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I really want to dye the tips of my hair bright blue at some point soon. Can I still just keep going with my baking soda wash with ACV rinse? Do I need to adjust somehow if I do color? Pointers on research about no poo and permanent hair color are welcome. (I also thought about henna but don't necessarily want red hair (I'm dirty blonde).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:59 am 
Saggy Butt

i've cut my BS+ACV wash down to every two weeks, with WO and brushing out gunk as needed, and it seems to be working better for me, even with exercising and getting gross on a regular basis. that is all.

i wanna experiment with using more essential oils now, but they can get kinda pricy! i know lavender is one that works well for me, all around. i also have bergamot, but sometimes, after a while, i don't like how it smells on my hair plus it can make your skin photosensitive. does anyone else use any?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:46 pm 

lillianp, it should be just fine. especially since you only get the baking soda on your scalp. the color on your ends would actually be in better shape than someone who uses shampoo on it.

i used to use essential oils all the time, but for some reason i've fallen out of the habit. i used to use sandalwood. that was really nice. i put together a table if you want to see which ones are good for certain afflictions. (if you want to print it, let me know if your print preview doesn't line up well. i also have a PDF uploaded.) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

daaaaang you got this shiitake! thank you, this is a really awesome starting point!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:34 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I mostly use baking soda on my scalp, but I do scrunch it into my hair a bit and rinsing out usually gets it through the rest of my hair. I do more to make sure the ACV gets through all my hair. What's wrong with putting the baking soda through out the hair? I'm still unclear on that. (I like the way my hair looks for the most part now that i"m routinely rinsing with ACV. I might try washing with BS once a week and rinsing with ACV an extra time during the week)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:26 am 
Tofu Pup

i've done this for about 5 weeks - if i dont wash it with water daily it feel greasy and even then its intermittent if it stays not greasy after washing with water - any advice?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:38 pm 

your scalp is still getting used to the fact that it doesn't have to produce as many oils as before. it's a stage. try not to wash the scalp every day to help get through the stage faster.

as for lillianp, since you've been doing this a while (right?), and aren't washing every day, your length probably isn't really getting very dirty. regularly putting baking soda in the length can cause it to dry out too much and damage it. (when i first started no poo all those years ago, i was using 4 cups because my hair was so long and i assumed that's how it had to be, and it actually stripped my natural color out, even though i also used henna. just took the color right out of the core of my hair, leaving the supposedly protective henna on the surface of the scales.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next