| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Triumphs over anxiety!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:23 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Yay, that's awesome choirqueer! Today I've spoken to no less than six different people on the phone and one of those was a radio interview thing. A few months ago there was NO WAY I'd have managed that, I would have 100% tried to pass the Skype thing onto someone else and probably made my husband make some of the rest of the calls. fork you anxiety! I'm awesome and competent and you can't fork with me today!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:54 am 
Grandfathered In

Back off, anx!

(That's the new cool term for anxiety, by the way.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:01 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Go jojo and CQ!

I talked myself down from having a full on panic attack both today and yesterday. At the new job, I have to have the kids meals ready at certain times, obviously. Well, I don't know how long it takes to toast 16 bagels/don't want to poison anyone with undercooked things, so not only did I not sleep the last two nights from worrying over it, I've been having that telltale uncontrollable racing heart when I'm getting close to the deadlines.

Instead of totally freaking out and quitting (so not an option), I did some deep breathing and assured myself that I could do it. And I did! I still am having a lot of anxiety about this job situation, though. I still have paperwork to turn in (like...my high school diploma?) and I have to take a TB test and get a physical (out of pocket for the latter), and while I'm struggling to make everyone happy there, I'm still pretty terrified that something is going to go wrong either with my work or with my paperwork and I'm going to be out of all of my jobs. This has now extended to obsessively worrying that I'll also lose my museum job somehow.

Transitions are hard. Trying to take it one day at a time.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:33 am 
Stepford Vegan

i have been contacting people i have met recently through events. i am always really scared to do this type of thing - fear of rejection i guess. nothing bad has happened, i have made new friends to boot!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:05 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I am in a short-term shared housing situation, and we have mice. The higher-ups have been slow to take care of things. They've been showing up much more frequently now and I am absolutely terrified. I think they can be cute from a distance but NOT indoors. Last night I cried in the kitchen as I watched a mouse flop in and out of one of my bowls, and I was woken up at 4:15 to rustling sounds. I feel like I'm just coming off as whiny and annoying to everyone else because I am the most visibly disturbed by it. I do not want mice in my personal space, in my food, in my yarn...it's making my OCD worse and is just triggering other unrelated anxiety things because it's like it got the wheels turning in my brain.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:08 am 

Oops-I meant for this to be in the general anxiety thread, can this be moved? Definitely no triumphs here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:55 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I feel like I am kicking anxiety's asparagus recently!! not only am I hosting regular get-togethers at my house with people I do not know super well, and having a really relaxed and normal experience(which is a HUGE deal for my social anxiety self),
but also I am actually going to like, so many events? I've been saying yes to parties and stuff with people I don't know very well/without a designated person I know wants to talk to me for sure and I am having fun and making friends! I am going to so many holiday parties and I have like 30-45 mins of thinking about bailing before them and then I get over it, go, have a good time, and come home! is this how normal people function??
I even asked a studio mate if she wanted to room with me on a grad school trip and she was like "yeah duh" and I didn't freak out about any of that interaction at all! I swear I haven't felt this normal anxiety-wise since 2007.

kickin' it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

sweet_potato wrote:
I am in a short-term shared housing situation, and we have mice. The higher-ups have been slow to take care of things. They've been showing up much more frequently now and I am absolutely terrified. I think they can be cute from a distance but NOT indoors. Last night I cried in the kitchen as I watched a mouse flop in and out of one of my bowls, and I was woken up at 4:15 to rustling sounds. I feel like I'm just coming off as whiny and annoying to everyone else because I am the most visibly disturbed by it. I do not want mice in my personal space, in my food, in my yarn...it's making my OCD worse and is just triggering other unrelated anxiety things because it's like it got the wheels turning in my brain.

I had a problem with mice a few years ago when I was going through a rough patch (someone I loved was very ill), and I also found it way more disturbing than than other people. I ended up buying a number of humane catch-and-release traps (peanut butter and a bit of cereal bar make a good bait), and also a lot of plastic storage boxes. Also earplugs! You might feel better about it if you take some positive steps to combat the situation rather than being at the mercy of other people's actions?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:56 am 

Thanks for sharing your experiences; it's nice to have some solidarity. One of the things we are waiting for are those kind of traps. I unfortunately am at the mercy of others though. I'm one of several interns in this shared house with very limited access to a vehicle and shopping (group shopping trips once a week, and I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere). So I need to wait until Monday at the earliest it seems.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:17 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I was getting anx over sneezing in a grocery store today. Like everyone would team up on me and kill me because I was being so loud and annoying. I realized how silly that was and went on with my shopping. I don't even have a cold--someone just left the bulk bin of turmeric open.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We've got a January vegan challenge going on in my city, and the first meeting was today. I have quite a bit of anxiety about how I present to others (especially since I have a mobility impairment) and not wanting people to look at me and think "if that's what a vegan looks like I want nothing to do with this!" so when I was asked if I wanted to be a mentor for people trying it out I said I'd just be a reserve in case they ran out of more healthy-looking role models, but when I was chatting with the person I got paired with she didn't seem at all put off and I think I was able to give her some good info. I also put a lot of effort into talking to people who were on their own, even though chit-chat doesn't come comfortably to me, and although I felt like I was blathering I still feel proud of myself for making an effort to make people feel welcome.

I tend to think of myself as being terrible at interacting with people but today actually turned out to be really nice! Just posting this to remind myself that it is worth the effort and going out of my comfort zone.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:29 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Way to go, dropscone!

blog: Jaunty Dame

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:02 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

That's really nice, Dropscone. My glad the experience was a good one and it sounds like you were really helpful to her.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:31 pm 
Grandfathered In

You win, Dropscone.

Putting yourself out there, interacting with people, recognizing your own value... All good stuff. Well done!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:11 pm 
And you never will.

Today I called back a customer who has been trying to get hold of me for like 10 days, about an order for Valentine's day. She had left me like 8 messages. It was really hard.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:22 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

That stuff is really tough. Way to go, PB!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:09 pm 
And you never will.

Thank you! I went to call her back and my phone wasn't working (we use a VoIP since we cancelled our cell service), and I almost just gave up right then, but I called her using my computer instead. Thanks PPK, for giving me a place to celebrate stuff that most people would think is nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:51 pm 
Grandfathered In

I don't know why making a simple little phone call can be so awful and huge! How many times in my life have I put off making that simple little phone call!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:17 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I went to the farmers market with a friend today and she started getting so incredibly nervous and claustrophobic. I felt really bad for her but also kind of great because 1) I understood, so I could comfort her and help her get out of the situation, and 2) I wasn't anxious myself. When did that happen?! I realized I'm inclined to be a lot more calm with other people. All the travelling with my boss has been proving that--I am almost never nervous in a car, store, or restaurant with him. As soon as I drop him off and am driving alone, I start freaking out about everything and driving terrifies me. It's not really that he calms me, but I guess I have a fight or flight reaction to suck everything up when I'm with people other than my husband/close friends. This is why people who meet me never believe that I suffer from anxiety. My friend told me that she can't believe how I can just shoot the shiitake naturally with market vendors and I was just kind of like "wait! I AM doing that. HOW?!".

I don't understand life.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:21 pm 
Grandfathered In

I know that I'm less likely to be anxious if it's just chompy and me. It's like my brain (mercifully) says, "Okay. First things first. You need to be the grown-up here."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Last night I ran a book club about which I was really anxious about and it went really well. AND I did it without my anxiety med because I forgot to bring it to the city with me. I have bad social anxiety as well as general anxiety and panic disorders so this was really a Big Deal for me.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:18 am 
Grandfathered In

That's great!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:33 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yay blondie! Way to go!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:43 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Yesterday in the middle of a hike with my husband I asked if I could just sit by a creek and wait for him to finish the distance of the hike and come back and get me. I really needed to rest and be alone. I sat there and really tried to clear my mind and focus on the present. The only way I could do it was to lay back with my head on my backpack and close my eyes, and focus on the sound of the gurgling water in the creek. It worked for short periods to drown out the racing thoughts. I even managed a short nap and felt more energized after. I was exhausted when I first sat down.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:20 pm 
Grandfathered In

You discovered what you needed to do, and you did it. Success!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next