Invented Vegan Meringue

Gah.

Post subject: Re: The UTI thread
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:39 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

starrynight87 wrote:
Little My wrote:
Muffin-Tuffin wrote:
Little My, so kidney infections lead to having a more sensitive bladder? I'd never heard that, but it would explain a lot!

Scar tissue in the bladder from infections makes the area more sensitive in general.

So, I've just had one for . . . gosh, three weeks straight. And I finished my antibiotics. I wouldn't say that I have any pain, but that area just feels really sensitive. So, should I worry that I'm still sick? Or is it just sensitive from being sick for so long?

I had one recently, and it turned out that the antibiotics they had originally prescribed (and I had been taking) were ineffective against the particular strain of bacteria I had been infected with. What had happened was they prescribed me an antibiotic right away, and after doing more detailed labwork, discovered the resistance of the bacteria. The weird thing was the original antibiotics felt like they were helping, but I didn't feel completely better.

All that is to say, maybe call your doctor and ensure that you don't have some kind of resistant bacteria that isn't being properly killed off by the antibiotics you took.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made an appointment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The doctor has finally decided to send a sample out for cultures. I really don't know why they had to wait for my 4th appt. for the same thing to do that.

I can't complain too much though. She was thoughtful enough to prescribe me something to take in case I get a yeast infection. (This is my 4th round of antibiotics.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My doctor told me that the reason you're supposed to drink cranberry juice is because it makes your urine acidic, which kills the bacteria, and that you could also drink anything else that's acidic, like lemonade. I thought there was something in the cranberry, like antioxidants or something, that were good for urinary health?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

And the yeast infection is here. YAY.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:58 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

starrynight87 wrote:
The doctor has finally decided to send a sample out for cultures. I really don't know why they had to wait for my 4th appt. for the same thing to do that.

I can't complain too much though. She was thoughtful enough to prescribe me something to take in case I get a yeast infection. (This is my 4th round of antibiotics.)

That's really shitty that she didn't send it for a culture until now. I'm sure you know this, but UTIs can develop into kidney infections, which can be quite dangerous. Not to mention that prescribing a whole bunch of antibiotics without knowing if it's going to actually treat the infection it's supposed to treat is irresponsible.

Next time, I'd request a culture immediately, and start considering a new doctor if you're met with resistance.

As far as cranberry juice, the doctors I've spoken to have said that it can help prevent UTIs, but it doesn't cure them, so if you've already got a UTI, it probably isn't going to do much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:08 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

starrynight87 wrote:
My doctor told me that the reason you're supposed to drink cranberry juice is because it makes your urine acidic, which kills the bacteria, and that you could also drink anything else that's acidic, like lemonade. I thought there was something in the cranberry, like antioxidants or something, that were good for urinary health?

i thought you're only supposed to drink the plain, unsweetened cranberry juice. that's the reason that i've heard, too, but also the low sugar helps to not feed the bacteria, i guess. So, i feel like lemonade wouldn't really work and lemon juice would be impossible to drink.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:30 am 
Like Anal, But Backwards

I peed myself because of this UTI I have at the moment. I sometimes get them after my period.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:47 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

starrynight87 wrote:

It has nothing to do with the acidity! Argh doctors. It's because cranberries have a naturally occurring source of D-mannose, which is a specific sugar that e-coli just happens to like to bind to. So feeding it that to bind to rather than it binding on your urethra walls = good. But if you are prone to them I suggest just skipping the cranberry and go straight to the source, take D-mannose supplements daily and it really should help preventatively.

And yeah, I did't have a culture sent out until a couple rounds of antibiotics later, too! So silly!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:01 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I have a UTI now for the first time in years. It started the same morning I started my period, so for a minute I thought I was pissing blood. That was awesome.

I've been taking uva-ursi in tincture form, which has helped in the past. It works by reducing bacteria in the urine and reduces inflammation. I've also been taking goldenseal, which is naturally antibacterial. It seems a lot better today than it did yesterday, but if it's not better by tomorrow morning I'll get antibiotics.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)