| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hot Flashes - Eeep.
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:02 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I'm 33. Last summer, I had what can only be described as hot flashes. I saw my doctor, and she didn't seem concerned. She said that I didn't appear to be exhibiting any symptoms of early menopause, and that it was likely just my body reacting to the summer heat. They went away, and I didn't think about them again.

In the last couple of weeks, I've started having them again. The onset seems to have coincided with a couple of unseasonably hot days for this time of year, and now it's cooled down some, but I'm still getting them. I've been woken up at night for the last couple of nights, and then they seem to happen a couple of times during the day.

I'm planning to see my doctor again, but I'm curious if anyone else has dealt with this kind of thing. I'm wondering if it could be related to the amount of physical activity I get. I'm in the middle of my racing season now, so I'm riding and racing a lot, and my metabolism is cranked all the way up from it's already pretty high baseline.

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Hot Flashes - Eeep.
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:07 am 
Cranky

I had hot flashes sometimes when I was living abroad. I attribute them to the stresses of living in a foreign county and doing my dissertation research. They stopped when I got back home and things returned to normal. It sounds like your body is under a lot of stress, so maybe you're experiencing something similar?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I had them when I had ovarian cysts. They sucked.

I hope they go away or clear up on their own--they might.

If they are hormonal, there are some herbs you could research that may help: evening primrose oil and (I think) chasteberry. Evening primrose oil anecdotally helped me a bit when I had the cysts. Not a miracle cure, but I could tell a difference when I stopped taking it.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:57 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I had the worst hotflashes when I took SSRIs.
Did you start taking any form of medication the last couple of months?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:08 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Nope. No changes.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Are there any other symptoms? I would ask my doc to do a blood test just to make sure your hormone levels are okay - thyroid, too.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:14 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I get them sometimes as part of PMS, but it doesn't sound like that's what happening to you.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:53 am 
Nailed to the V

I get hot flashes all the time (i am 21) and never mentioned it to the doctor as I thought it was just a tough luck for being a girl thing. I didn't know its nor normal? Is it something to worry about?

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:46 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Well, if we're talking about what I know to be hot flashes, then it's not a normal symptom for seine in their early 20s. A hot flash as I know it is a sudden onset of heat, sometimes with sweating, and maybe even a burning feeling in your neck (according to my post-menopausal mother). They seem pretty intense and more than just a feeling of being too hot in a room.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:10 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Yeah, I had them when I was taking a prescription hormone to shrink a fibroid and which basically put me through temporary menopause for a year. It's like this heat comes out of nowhere and rises up your chest and engulfs your head. I would definitely ask to have your hormone levels checked, especially if they're waking you up at night. I hope you find an answer, JP. That sounds super annoying.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:16 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks, guys. I will have my hormones checked. I believe they were checked last year when I had the issue, but I'll definitely get them done again.

IJDI, no other symptoms, and no changes in my life beyond the weather getting a bit warmer.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:21 am 
Nailed to the V

pickledtreats wrote:
Well, if we're talking about what I know to be hot flashes, then it's not a normal symptom for seine in their early 20s. A hot flash as I know it is a sudden onset of heat, sometimes with sweating, and maybe even a burning feeling in your neck (according to my post-menopausal mother). They seem pretty intense and more than just a feeling of being too hot in a room.

Yeah, that's what I get. And then after 5 minutes I'm suddenly freezing cold again. Guess I'll get it checked out next time I'm at the docs.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:04 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I got them back when I was really active too. I was practicing ashtanga vinyasa every morning for about two hours, then biking to and from work and running around with really heavy boxes all day and sometimes going to another yoga class or dancing at night. I had also just started menstruating again after not having my period for a period of nearly four years, and my doctor attributed it to that.

But I remember when spring turned to summer during those really active days and I would have them at night and at the most random times when I was just walking around or doing dishes. I also think so much deep breathing from yoga brought on a heat my body didn't really know what to do with, and cycling long distances might be doing the same thing to you? I was also eating lots of raw vegetables and fruits and then really spicy things! I'll spare you the aspects of ayurveda I actually kind of believe in but there wasn't a whole lot of balance in my life. I couldn't even take baths because they made me so overheated I thought I would pass out.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:06 pm 
Dead by dawn

I have had them a small handful of times, all isolated, and have never been able to figure out what brought them on. I guess stress could more than account for the most recent one. I hope you can get it sorted.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:37 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

When I get them it's just an intense feverish feeling that sweeps my head. I don't even turn red or sweat.
I do tend to get them more when it is hot or I am stressed.

(Tamoxifen and BC brought on early menopause symptoms for me but I am not technically in menopause.)

I am almost always cold, so what is particularly awesome is being freezing and having a hot flash and still being cold.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:32 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

[quote="vijita"I'll spare you the aspects of ayurveda I actually kind of believe in but there wasn't a whole lot of balance in my life.[/quote]

ha ha. Actually ayurveda was the first thing I thought of (after hormones, of course)... but I also thought "I'll spare everyone that." But, like vijita, I do kinda believe in ayurveda and I use the basic principles of ayurveda to keep things feeling balanced in my life.

In addition to a doctors visit, you could try eating more cooling foods (kapha increasing) and fewer warming foods (pitta and/or vata increasing). Doing breathing exercises with longer exhales emphasizes cooling. Cool drinks instead of hot drinks. Warmish showers instead of hot showers. Blah de blah blah! :)

Either way, good luck with figuring it out.