| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Waxing
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:07 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Waxing is something I've been looking into after getting tired of constantly having to shave. More specifically, I want to get a Brazilian waxing, because let's face it, it's a pain to have to shave there. Anybody have any thoughts or arguments for or against waxing?

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Waxing
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:45 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Pros: Amazing results

Cons: Cost, having to regrow hair between waxes, significantly painful

I got them regularly until I made the commitment to pay off my student loans/credit cards by 2012.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

I always assumed it wasn't vegan?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:47 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

There's at least one type of plant-based wax out there. I wouldn't assume that any was vegan without checking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:09 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

there are some good threads here on it. general consensus is that it's hard to find good vegan wax, everything seems to have beeswax in it.
there's a recipe for sugaring here that's good too but for some reason it doesn't work well on my pubes.

and tendskin, whether bought or homemade, totally makes waxing possible or impossible. i recommend it highly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:31 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

torque wrote:
and tendskin, whether bought or homemade, totally makes waxing possible or impossible. i recommend it highly.

can you expound on this? because...huh?

did it. will do it again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:57 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

was i being unclear? hehe, even i couldnt understand what the hell i was trying to say. (i'm having a bad day for understanding).
I don't have the Registered TradeMark thing on my computer, but it's Tendskin TM. I can't buy it here but it's famous for preventing ingrowns, which plague me like, well, like a plague. If I don't use it i can't wax, period, because i look like i've got some kind of horrible disease about 5 days after waxing. If I use it, no ingrowns, period.

there are a million recipes online but they're mostly similar..... here's one.
http://www.makeuptalk.com/forum/thread/ ... kin-recipe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I used to make something similar but my man friend freaked out that all the aspirin would get absorbed through my skin and I would "overdose". He's full of crepe....right? Or maybe he just thinks ingrown hairs are sexy.

I'm getting a Brazilian on Tuesday. Wish me luck!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:36 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Abelskiver wrote:
I used to make something similar but my man friend freaked out that all the aspirin would get absorbed through my skin and I would "overdose". He's full of crepe....right? Or maybe he just thinks ingrown hairs are sexy.

I'm getting a Brazilian on Tuesday. Wish me luck!

Good luck! I enjoy them. I mean, not the process, but the results. And at least for me, the process is only bad for a couple specific parts.

I don't use Tendskin, but I love my witch hazel toner.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:01 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I wish I could wax. I've tried a few times over the years and every single time I do it every single last hair that is waxed grows back ingrown. Hundreds and hundreds of ingrown hairs. And I don't understand this whole "weeks hair free!" stuff because within a week it's growing back on me. And I'm not a hairy girl. I don't get it.

It looks so terrible when you look at your legs and all this hair has grown back...and it's ALL under the skin. Dunno what I'm doing wrong. Tried epilating (which is wonderful for super smoothness), but same thing.

Anyone else have problems with waxing? Could it just be my skin? I'm very pale skinned (I have sensitive skin) with auburn hair...not sure if that would have anything to do with it. A little off topic, but this thread got my mind back to puzzling out why I can't wax.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:39 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Lachesis wrote:
Anyone else have problems with waxing? Could it just be my skin? I'm very pale skinned (I have sensitive skin) with auburn hair...not sure if that would have anything to do with it. A little off topic, but this thread got my mind back to puzzling out why I can't wax.

It could just be your skin--if so, I'm your reverse. If I ever try shaving my lady region, no matter how well I try to take care of it I get lots of ingrowns. Waxing is all my skin will put up with.

THEN AGAIN, every time I've been waxed, the ladies who do it make a really big deal about how I should exfoliate, use toner, moisturize, and dry the area certain ways. Is it possible you haven't been taking care of your wax jobs with the right combination of methods for your skin?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:53 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'll just come out and say it...I'm too scared to wax. Not that shaving is any picnic either, but there's only so much pain I'm willing to deal with for cosmetic purposes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:16 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

amethyst, i never would have done it the first time except i had a medical procedure that required me to be hairless- and i said i may as well go ahead and do it, or i never will. After the first time, you know what to expect, and it's no biggie.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:35 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Abelskiver wrote:

My totally non-medical opinion is that this sounds pretty BS. I mean even if the aspirin does get absorbed you're not putting on a whole lot of the stuff at the time...

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:00 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I agree on the pain of having to grow your hair in between waxes, I get about 2 weeks hair-free and then it's jungle time again. However I love the feeling (I use homemade sugaring) and it works perfectly on legs, pubes, and armpits. And after a while it doesn't even hurt anymore, well the pubes always hurts, but not too bad.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:17 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

This thread has lead me to look into sugaring which sounds really interesting, I think I'll try it out on my legs. But, how would one sugar their pubes? I can barely see when I'm using a razor, let alone using my hand to cleanly apply and strip the hairs off (I'm talking the undercarriage specifically). Also, I would think that you have to be careful about sugar near your genitals because that is asking for a yeast infection...
Okay, this thread isn't about sugaring specifically so I'm done talking now!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:50 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

On a related note, I've heard that years of waxing kills off some of the hair follicles so you don't have to wax as frequently and there is just less hair overall.

I've definitely noticed this is true after plucking my eyebrows for years. So has anyone experienced this with waxing legs, bikini line, etc? Because that would convince me to start waxing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:55 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Couroupita, I most agree. Part of my reasoning behind possibly waxing is the fact that I won't have to stress darker,thicker hair growing in every time.

My biggest problem is the maintenance. I think I'd get impatient with waiting for my next waxing and hate to have stubble so I'd turn to shaving yet again.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:35 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

When I do it on my pubes it's like circus time, with legs all over the place and being as flexible as possible. I usually sit on a straight-backed chair, on the edge, and raise one leg on the table and the other on another chair. It's NOT comfortable! Plus you don't really have to see everything, I mostly feel with my hands where the hair is and how it grows, and then apply the sugar blindly.
Also, the sugar never goes inside, and if you're careful to wash yourself after you're done I don't think there's any risk of yeast infection.

I've definitely noticed a reduction in the number, thickness, and coarseness of my hair overall since waxing/sugaring for ages.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:03 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I went for my first professional brazilian wax recently... I'd tried to do it myself before, but I just wasn't strong willed enough to keep inflicting that amount of pain on myself.

But having someone else do it really wasn't that bad. I've also heard hot wax (the type they allow to harden and pull off with no strips) is less painful than warm (strip) wax.

I've not had any problems with ingrown hairs, which I normally get from waxing my legs. And although it has started to grow back (about 2 weeks later) it looks a LOT better than when it grows back after shaving...

I think the pain and the inconvenience of having to wait for it to grow back is definitely worth it for the total smoothness and not seeing any hairs underneath the skin for about 2 weeks... and like others have mentioned, the more you do it the less it hurts and the finer it gets.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:19 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm waxed! It was not bad at all. I had had several bikini waxes but never a Brazilian, and it was pretty much the same pain-wise. I took an extra strength painkiller right before. There were a few ouchy parts but its over so quick, who cares? Actually the worst bit was her tweezing, but I do appreciate the attention to detail. Still pretty raw though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:54 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm a fan of Brazillian (if you're gonna do it, might as well go all the way). I'm a cyclist, and just find it more comfortable. I have it done professionally, and for me, it's worth every penny. FInd someone you can trust, that works quickly and doesn't chatter too much!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:07 am 
Ninja Master

I have regular hollywoods every 4 weeks. I can't imagine going back to not waxing.

Ingrown hairs are a forker though. I bought some ingrown-go, so I'm hoping that's gonna help me. Exfoliating does help as long as you do it regularly and moisturise afterwards, that's really important.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:12 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Anek wrote:
When I do it on my pubes it's like circus time, with legs all over the place and being as flexible as possible. I usually sit on a straight-backed chair, on the edge, and raise one leg on the table and the other on another chair. It's NOT comfortable! Plus you don't really have to see everything, I mostly feel with my hands where the hair is and how it grows, and then apply the sugar blindly.
Also, the sugar never goes inside, and if you're careful to wash yourself after you're done I don't think there's any risk of yeast infection.

I think my hair is more unruly than yours, Anek--I can do shaping around my bikini area, but when I try giving myself a sugar brazilian, it turns into a painful, sticky disaster. I think it's just not happening.

I tend to be pretty yeast-infection prone, and while eating too much sugar can trigger one in me, sugaring my crotch never has.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:05 am 
Ninja Master

I'm impressed if anyone can do their own! I'm a trained beautician and I can't do my own. It's very hard to stretch the skin properly (it can be more painful and difficult if you don't) and when I get mine done, my waxer gets me to help her stretch!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next