| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Omega 3s
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:02 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Do you take Omega-3 supplements? Make sure they are both DHA & EPA. I know that V-Pures are, and I believe there is one other brand.

Post subject: Re: Omega 3s
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:45 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

No, I don't take omegas. Am I going to die? I take calcium, and a multi that has lots of B12 amongst other things.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:55 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I don't either. I grind flax in my smoothies and eat a bunch of seaweed, which I think has DHA? If you make a really good argument for supplements I might start.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:26 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

These are the ones I take:
http://www.iherb.com/Deva-Vegan-Omega-3 ... 21251?at=0

Why do I need the EPA?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:01 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I have V-Pure. I need to be better about taking them. I also try to eat lots of walnuts, hemp, and flax, but then there are days that I don't eat as well as I should.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:05 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Should takte omegas. But vitamins are so expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

DHA and EPA are important because all of the main sources like flax, walnuts and chia seeds only contain ALA which converts to EPA and DHA in your body, but the conversion is not great, especially for DHA. Your brain and your nerves and your eyes need DHA. If you are thinking about having kids anytime in the near future or if you're preggo it's especially important.

V-pure is back ordered right now, so if you order from them and are willing to wait until the end of november to get them you can get a free bottle! Omega 3s are also good for heart health and can help lower LDL and raise HDL. It's a good idea to take them if you don't eat fish. Most omnis are probably ok with omega 3s if they eat fish, but it's one of those things thats just harder for vegans to get.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:10 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
DHA and EPA are important because all of the main sources like flax, walnuts and chia seeds only contain ALA which converts to EPA and DHA in your body, but the conversion is not great, especially for DHA. Your brain and your nerves and your eyes need DHA. If you are thinking about having kids anytime in the near future or if you're preggo it's especially important.

V-pure is back ordered right now, so if you order from them and are willing to wait until the end of november to get them you can get a free bottle! Omega 3s are also good for heart health and can help lower LDL and raise HDL. It's a good idea to take them if you don't eat fish. Most omnis are probably ok with omega 3s if they eat fish, but it's one of those things thats just harder for vegans to get.

The one I take is just DHA. Is there a problem with that, should I be looking for another one that has both? Or am I okay with just DHA? And what does EPA do anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:13 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:

The one I take is just DHA. Is there a problem with that, should I be looking for another one that has both? Or am I okay with just DHA? And what does EPA do anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:24 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

i've been pretty confused about omegas and that's kept me from choosing supplements, but i just went and ordered from v-pures because of this thread. not something to live on the edge with, i think.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

i've been pretty confused about omegas and that's kept me from choosing supplements, but i just went and ordered from v-pures because of this thread. not something to live on the edge with, i think.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

DHA actually retroconverts to EPA pretty readily. I think taking DHA alone should be adequate, especially since the EPA quantity in algae supplements is so low anyway.

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/omega3#retro

Also, our need for DHA is somewhat questionable. Taking DHA (but also flax oil or any omega 3 supplement) does provide cardiovascular benefits and it's true that vegans not consuming DHA have lower body DHA levels than vegans supplementing with DHA or people who eat fish, but it hasn't convincingly been linked to any ailment in adult vegans. I still take DHA pills now and then, but I'm fairly convinced that it's more important to simply manage your fatty acid intake (aiming for around 3:1 omega 3s to 6s).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:02 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My daily multi has Omega 3s in it. I don't always remember to take it every day, but I eat a lot of walnuts, flax and canola oil, so I think it evens out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:44 pm 
Chip Strong

I have a DHA supplement but I always forget to take it. I do buy the flaxified nut butters at trader joes and have some everyday.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

ijustdiedinside wrote:

Is that on top of the 3 for 2 offer?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:31 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

vegimator wrote:
DHA actually retroconverts to EPA pretty readily. I think taking DHA alone should be adequate, especially since the EPA quantity in algae supplements is so low anyway.

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/omega3#retro

Also, our need for DHA is somewhat questionable. Taking DHA (but also flax oil or any omega 3 supplement) does provide cardiovascular benefits and it's true that vegans not consuming DHA have lower body DHA levels than vegans supplementing with DHA or people who eat fish, but it hasn't convincingly been linked to any ailment in adult vegans. I still take DHA pills now and then, but I'm fairly convinced that it's more important to simply manage your fatty acid intake (aiming for around 3:1 omega 3s to 6s).

this sounds wise to me.

I limit added fats in general and eat ground flax, and occasionally take Spectrum Vegetarian DHA.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I actually just started taking a supplement because of Ijdis advice in this thread on the old boards. I take Spectrum vegetarian DHA. Is that good? They taste good!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:14 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I usually take Deva but I haven't had the monies of late. Funny, I've noticed some dandruff come back since I stopped. I try to get my flax/hemp/chia in but I haven't been doing so well lately.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:47 pm 
Tofu Pup

Got a deal at my local organic grocer on Barlean's Total Omega Vegan Swirl, which has both and is yummy. Plus I use flax and hemp in varying forms regularly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:53 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

fezza wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:

Is that on top of the 3 for 2 offer?

sorry, I didn't see this post until just now, but yes. I should be getting 4 bottles when I get my order for the price of 2! pretty sweet!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:16 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

IsaChandra wrote:
I believe there is one other brand.

Is it Opti-3?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:37 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

ijustdiedinside wrote:
sorry, I didn't see this post until just now, but yes. I should be getting 4 bottles when I get my order for the price of 2! pretty sweet!

Thanks! Their site doesn't seem to be offering orders atm, I'll try to remember to email them tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

What about drinking hemp milk every day?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:59 pm 
Saggy Butt

http://www.ascentahealth.com/products/h ... ege-200-ml

i take a little bit of this daily (or close to it). it's tasty, makes my scalp less dry, and my nails grow super fast. i thought it was crazy expensive until i saw it at my co-op for half the price of anywhere else!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:25 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I take DHA only...when I remember.