| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:01 am 
WRETCHED

Yay 8ball!

Von m, the thing that is difficult for me is my shoulder flexibility. The barbell laying on my shoulders doesn't hurt but getting my hands into the right position does. I've been doing stretching exercises so hopefully eventually it will be much easier.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:45 pm 
Hip Goiter

I hurt my lower back on Monday doing deadlifts and it's not getting better. It was a weight I do normally, not that many reps even, I just wasn't giving it my full attention because I was like 'oh this is an easy weight la di da' and took my focus off and stood up too fast maybe and boom. The doctor thinks it is a facet joint sprain and we might do an MRI tomorrow but he doesn't think it will be very helpful as it just needs rest. f-ing sucks! Moral, never take your mind off what you are doing even it if is easy stuff for you! Focus! berghhhh it hurts so much.

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:11 am 
WRETCHED

Oh my!!

I actually hurt my back stretching the other day... I was like what the hell is going on. But I have mild scoliosis and I've had back problems in the past so it wasn't a total shocker. But right now I'm not lifting a thing.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:03 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Today the gym was almost empty and I had some time to spare so I decided to test my strength.
I think those are good numbers considering that my own weight around 50kg

Leg press 180kg (397 lbs) --> there was no way to put more weight on the machine.
Horizontal row 80kg (176lbs)
Chest Press 64kg (141 lbs)
Shoulder Press 55kg (121 lbs)
biceps curl 50kg (110 lbs)
Sitting triceps dips 76kg (167 lbs)
Abdominal Crunch 86kg (189 lbs)
Lumbar extension 100kg (220 lbs)

After the maximums I did 100 repetitions of each one of them with low weight, I've the feeling that tomorrow my body will hurt :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:34 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Mr. Shankly wrote:
How do you guys stay focused? I always get bored soon after I begin. I like cardio because you're constantly doing stuff and can listen to music and zone out. I don't feel the same about weightlifting.

Well a lot of people seem to have that problem which is why people use pre-workout. Not sure if you have heard of it but it makes you stay focused and gets you through your workout and I finally found a vegan friendly one, Beachbody's Energize pre-workout is by far the best one I have used including when I wasn't vegan. It keeps me in a lifting mindset and really helps me make the most out of every single workout and I feel much better about myself everyday because of it. I hope this helps!

https://www.beachbody.com/product/supplements/energize-pre-workout-formula.do

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:26 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Hoping the lifting people are still around...

I have a ridiculously stupid question for you all. How did you learn to lift? I've been contemplating starting something like Stronglifts to maybe help my injury prone runner self be less injured, but have no idea how to start. Never learned to use free weights, don't have any athletic friends.

Help? I'm super intimidated by all the big actually strong guys at the gym.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:26 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

zwingtip wrote:
Hoping the lifting people are still around...

I have a ridiculously stupid question for you all. How did you learn to lift? I've been contemplating starting something like Stronglifts to maybe help my injury prone runner self be less injured, but have no idea how to start. Never learned to use free weights, don't have any athletic friends.

Help? I'm super intimidated by all the big actually strong guys at the gym.

I am also quite intimidated by the giants in the weights section. I also didn't/don't know anything about strength training, but I have learned a lot from my husband, who did a bunch of lifting when he was in high school football.

What kind of injuries are you looking to avoid? I'm guess knee, hips, and ankles if you're a runner, right? If that's the case I can tell you what I do, which is strength training for mountaineering. It focuses on a lot of core and leg strength. The book that I reference is called Training for the New Alpinism. It has really useful figures illustrating proper form and gives a general plan for what to do. I'm not suggesting that you read it, but basically you'll find everything that I'm writing below in that book.

For legs I typically do-
1) step ups-for quad, ankle, and knee strength. start without weights, then once you can do it with good form, start carrying hand weights.
2) squats-great for core and quad strength. I had to start with just my body weight (no weights) and now I'm adding in a bar that I stabilize on my shoulders. I'm only doing 30 lbs right now but once I can do 45 lbs I'm going to graduate to the squat rack.
3) Front squat lunges--you can add hand weights once you're ready.

For general core I do-
1) Russian twists - holding a 20 lb dumbbell for extra resistance
2) 3-point plank (you can put weights on your back or do other variations when you're strong enough)
3) side plank
4) bridges
5) hanging leg raises
6) hip extension & abduction (it's also called "Hitler's dog"--see here: http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/arti ... e-athletes)
7) full situps--I do these occasionally because sometimes my back hurts

For upper body/core I do-
1) full pushups (I had to start with counter pushups, then progressed to knee pushups, and now I can finally do full ones)
2) assisted pullups (before pullups I did lat pulldowns)

For knee/hip strength I do resistance band work at home. I have kneecaps that kind of turn in and it's given me a lot of pain when I run. I went to PT for awhile and they suggested these to help fix my knees. One is basically putting a resistance band around your ankles and crab walking back and forth. Another is putting the band around a table leg, looping the other end around your ankle and gently pulling your leg to the back, to the front, and to the side. It's exhausting but it works! You can google it to visualize proper form. It's recommended for runners and people at risk of tearing their ACL (like soccer players).

I don't actually do a lot of stuff on the weights machines and I don't deadlift. I don't actually thing you have to do that if you want to get strong for running/hiking. I'd like to add that in eventually but the stuff I listed above already takes a lot of my gym time!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:31 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have a question for women who do weighted squats: how do you know when to stop adding weight? Right now my goal is to be able to squat slightly more than the weight of a mountaineering backpack (~60 lb), so like 70 lb. This is just kind of functional because sometimes I'm in a squatting position when I'm backpacking and I would like to be able to stand up with my backpack on and not fall over. But once I can do 70 lbs, should I keep going up?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:54 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

couroupita wrote:
[really useful stuff]

Thanks for taking the time to write so much detailed advice! I suspect you're right that there's a lot of overlap. I have really weak hips and glutes (as most runners do) which leads to all sorts of nasties down the chain.

The crab walk is definitely useful rehab. I did that all the time last November when I had IT band woes and it (along with clamshells) is what got me running again. I need to get a new resistance band since mine broke a little while ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:24 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Erggh... I'm not sure how to say this in a way that doesn't kill the mood of the thread, but I seem to have done a 180 and plateaued at being able to lift 10-15 doing any exercise. I was up to 20-25 using free weights, but my brain felt drained 24/7 and I had to ease up on myself. I switched to outdoor walking with 5lb ankle weights and 8lb hand weights, and I do some curls, raises etc with them on 2-4mile walks, but just doing 20 reps with anything over 10lbs standing still kills me. I am trying to get into doing more squats and other knee exercises that are weighted...right now I do sumo squats and bulgarian split squats with 10lb weights, but I'm sluggish and unmotivated.
Help?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:38 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

What are your goals? For pretty much anything, if you are able to do 15 reps of an exercise, you should increase the weight. Higher reps are good for endurance, but for strength/muscle building, you'll want less reps at a higher weight.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:24 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

mrsbadmouth wrote:
What are your goals? For pretty much anything, if you are able to do 15 reps of an exercise, you should increase the weight. Higher reps are good for endurance, but for strength/muscle building, you'll want less reps at a higher weight.

It would not have occurred to me that I could do as little as 15 reps. I guess I'm just being a wimp about the weights.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53