| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2042 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beachbody Fitness (P90X, Insanity, etc.)
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:37 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I agree with you guys on stamina. I bought Insanity a couple weeks ago, and I think the cardio workouts in there are harder than the cardio workouts in P90X. I think they'll do more to build stamina.

Another possible alternative for you might be the P90X+ workouts. There are only 5 of them -- upper body, total body, abs, and 2 cardio workouts. They're short (35 - 40 minutes) and more intense from a stamina standpoint than P90X -- you move really fast through them and there isn't all that time with Tony yapping. I think they'd also be good to get a bit more ripped, versus bulky.

Definitely make sure you take your calorie intake up or you will lose the wrong kind of weight -- the body will try to burn its own muscle if it there's too much of a calorie deficit. With a small deficit (I think folks say 300-400 calories/day) you'll burn fat. Also make sure you are getting lots of protein -- 1 gram per kilogram of body weight -- as you'll need that to build new muscle.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:26 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Well, I got through 3 weeks without missing a day, but upon starting my internship last week I screwed up and managed to exercise only one day for the entire week. It did give me an opportunity to think about what I was doing, so today I'm starting an X/Insanity hybrid. I really need the cardio, but Insanity was boring the hell out of me and I couldn't get motivated to get out of bed early to do them. Sure the workouts are tough, but they're essentially the same thing nearly every day.

So, I'm off to start with Day 1...again. I haven't decided if I want to keep the Yoga or sub in cardio on that day. Or I could just do the YogaX on day 7 instead of rest/stretch. Anyone else done a hybrid have an opinion?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:23 am 
Hip Goiter

I think the beachbody site provides a hybrid example?

I hear you on the losing motivation though. I missed Chest and Back yesterday, mostly bc my shoulder has been hurting, partly bc I got back from NYC and just didn't feel like it. Oh well. I can't wait to start Insanity and maybe jog bc P90x has added inches like whoa :(

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Added muscle inches or the soft kind? My weight always goes up with P90X but measurements stay about the same.

The husband is rocking the Insanity, though. He's lost about 10 lbs and I can really see a difference in his shape and firmness. I'm really glad because his BMI was creepin' up there and he had suboptimal cholesterol and highish triglycerides. And a family history of early heart disease. The increased hotness is just a bonus.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:59 pm 
Chip Strong

I'll be back in this thread soon. Starting up P90X again (hybrid with 1/2 marathon training) starting in mid-June.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:07 pm 
Hip Goiter

So I missed Sunday's P90X workout (chest & back, week 11 (but I'm adding 2 extra phase 3 weeks bc of some illness/traveling mishaps)) and I need to make it up! Is it bad to do it Friday (with Kenpo, which is fine with me since I'm doing doubles) when Legs & Back would be just the day before? Is it that bad to do two back workouts two days in a row just one time?

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Randi, I wouldn't do the two back ones like that. If anything, I would just skip the pullups and do the legs part of the video. If you want to keep the intensity up, maybe throw some cardio (jumping jacks or something) in those slots.

So I decided fork some hybrids. I thought it was a great idea until it came time to do level 1 drills, ski abs, and in and out abs the day after chest and back. I just did like a gazillion pushups the day before. Okay, not a gazillion BUT I did 27 standards in the first round and 24 in the second, and between 10-18 of each of the others in both rounds. So close enough to a gazillion for me. Anyway, I'm not badass enough to handle Insanity within four days after that, much less 24 hours. I pushed through it yesterday and I'm still really sore. Hooray for me lasting 2 days on the hybrid program!

Anyway, I'm goin' back on just the Insanity, and starting over at week 4, day 1. I know I've missed too much to really do that but I'm not going back to day 1 and losing 3 whole weeks.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:04 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

bekki wrote:
If anything, I would just skip the pullups and do the legs part of the video.

I've done this a bunch of times when my weeks have gotten messed around due to various things. The leg exercises are the bulk of the workout anyway and if you don't insert anything in between and just skip ahead past the pullups it ends up being extra tiring because it's basically 45 minutes of non-stop squats and lunges.

I'm out of p90x form at the moment for a variety of reasons, looking to kick up the workouts again next week hopefully.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:42 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Just did the lovely P90X plyo on my hotel balcony, overlooking a golf course and a big forest at a nice hotel outside Lisbon, Portugal. Sun coming up, clouds whisking by, scent of rain in the air, and of course the lovely Tony Horton cracking jokes. Great way to start the day!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:34 am 
Hip Goiter

Ah I love Lisbon! Have a great time.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:33 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

RandiJM wrote:
Ah I love Lisbon! Have a great time.

I am but not because of the food! The "salad" section on last night's restaurant dinner menu listed four salads:
- Lobster Salad
- Seafood Salad with Santa Maria Sauce
- King Crab Salad
- Russian Salad with Boiled Tiger Prawns

Ha ha. And the night prior, the conference planner had phoned the restaurant ahead requesting a vegan meal for me (this was a different restaurant). So I sit down, and the waiter comes over and says "Sir, are you the vegan?" Yes I am, I replied. He said "We have prepared special meal for you: sea breem, prawns, mussels, with boiled vegetables." Of course, that was the exact same meal they were serving all 30 people at the dinner. I asked for just the vegetables, cooked in oil. They brought me a huge plate of boiled vegetables, dripping in butter. I asked again for no butter. They took it to the kitchen, rinsed it off in water, and brought it back. It had maybe 50% less butter on it.

So I shoveled them around on the plate, and ate 2 Vega bars and some raw Luna Nori crackers I had stuffed in my jacket pocket.

Vegan dining in Portugal....not so much.

D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:03 am 
Hip Goiter

Haha sounds about right My trip to Portugal was when I learned to love olives, because that's all I had to eat for three meals a day. And bread. Ugh!

I'm in week 12 of P90x doubles, and I wanted to extend it by 2 weeks bc of some less than great weeks due to illness or travel, but I think I might just finish bc I'm itching to start Insanity. I need to lose a ton of weight!! I'm glad I'm so strong but now I have a lot of muscle on TOP of a lot of fat, so, boo.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Well, I just did Max Interval Circuit.

fork it was hard. To make things worse, I missed the majority of recovery week exercises, so I'm sure that made it even worse. Anyway, if I don't see results after this month I'm going to be really, really sad.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:04 pm 
Chip Strong

I'm starting a P90X hybrid (running/training for a half marathon) on Monday! I'm excited to spend my mornings with Tony again. "Get up your leg!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:27 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yay for hybrids! I don't do any of the original P90X anymore except the 5 resistance workouts. For cardio I'm doing P90X+ and Insanity. For yoga, just my own thing. Seems to be working just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:56 am 
Naked Under Apron

So I have just restarted P90X, I am hoping to actually do a full round this time. Couldn't do Ab-Ripper on day 1 as I was genuinely about barf by the end of chest and back. I will try and fit it in this week.

I think Tony has messed with my mind though. I was in Berlin recently and every time I saw German Potato soup on a menu, I heard it in his voice.

Mat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:03 am 
Hip Goiter

Hahaha I hear you on hearing Tony's voice. I hear EVERYTHING he says all the time, and then I say it to people like they'd know what I mean. For really mundane things too, like we bought bananas and I said "Let's go banana! We're past the halfway point!" Like what the fizzle.
Good luck on your full round! I'm just finishing this round and I've rescheduled ab ripper several times. I did doubles so after cardio and a resistance, there were days when I just refused to add on abs. Don't fret!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:56 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

If that ain't P90X I don't know WHAT is!

Do you ever find yourself mixing things up? Like I was doing chest/shoulders/arm yesterday, and during the side-tri-rise, I kept waiting for him to say "if anyone does more than 25, I'm coming to your house" but sadly he didn't. That's on the other one, the one where Dreya is showing off and Tony calls himself pull-up boy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:03 pm 
Hip Goiter

Yup! I had the Dreya one today, which also has the in-and-out bicep curls and I was waiting for him to go to Bobby Stevenson (MY FAVEEEE I have such a huge crush on him) and say he has more wrinkles now but he's more handsome! But alas I was left with the less interesting and less beloved by me Joe Bovino.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:30 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Awww. I saw your man today on Back & Biceps. Where Tony asks him "what weight are you doing" and Bobby says "I was going to do 35s" and Tony goes "WRONG"...
And there's that other point where it's "choose your own pullup" and that stupid horrible awful Katie goes "i'm going to do corncobs" and you just want to smash the TV into bits, but your pal Bobby says wide grip, and Tony wanders over and says "well we'll just have to make them wider" and pushes the little handle things apart.
I bet Bobby can't stand that Tony Horton. He's older, stronger, and always stealing the show.
Sadly there are no women I love in P90X. But Insanity, that's a different story altogether. There's one hugely obnoxious woman named Tania, but then there are some very cute and seemingly friendly ones in the background, who never get much camera, which only makes them more enticing....
:)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:56 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tony occasionally pops into my head. And after Insanity, bananas would prompt you to say "That sh-- is bananas, ya'll"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:35 am 
Hip Goiter

Ugh Katie and her corncobs are the worst!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:40 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Major bonkage today. Did Legs & Back this morning, ran out of time to do ab ripper. Went to airport, flew to Shanghai. Felt guilty about not doing ARX, plus also should do a cardio since it's Saturday over here. Stood in room 10 minutes trying to rouse ambition. Managed to change into workout clothes, put ARX DVD in MacBook, brought along Kenpo X+ since I need to do cardio too, took mat and slogged over to elevator, 37 floors down to hotel gym, found dance studio room, turned on laptop, put mat on floor, started running in place. Ugh. Head woozy. Legs jello. Stomach grumbling, not happy. Shouldn't have had those G&T's on the plane. Fork this. Shut laptop, came back to room. Opened Tsingtao beer and planters nuts from minibar. Dining on nuts and disappointment. About to pop ambien and hope for discipline to return tomorrow. The shame....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:23 am 
Hip Goiter

You should probably drink a lot of water, take a nap, take it easy on yourself, and get used to the new time zone. Then worry about working out.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:01 pm 
Hip Goiter

I'm done P90x and I'm starting Insanity tomorrow! My package isn't clear on what exactly Day 1 is -- is it just the fit test?? And is that on a video? Bc the little card with pictures and names of moves isn't exactly clear. Ahhh. And isn't the fit test just a short little thing? I guess I could do cardio x after.

Laughfrodisiac

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2042 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 82  Next