| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Couch to 5K
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:01 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I jog more than I run. I would like to eventually get up to a 6mph on the speed but right now I'm doing 4mph. Every once in a while I bump it up, if it gets too uncomfortable then I take it back to 4. (I spent almost 2 years extremely sick and as of Nov I couldn't even walk a mile so I'm taking it slow and some days jogging is still pushing my limits but hopefully it will build my endurance to be able to truly "run".)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:25 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

-no shame in repeating runs or weeks, you are supposed to repeat them until you can keep the recommended intervals

-take it SLOW kweldon! you don't want to get hurt and have to throw the whole thing out the window.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:05 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Yeah, I actually think I will be repeating week 1! I find running so difficult!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:58 am 
Ninja Master

I find it really difficult too, I'm not a natural runner at all.

I repeated a couple of weeks the first time I tried and then quit after about week 3! hahaha The second time I did the whole programme, I shocked myself in that I didn't repeat any weeks. But I don't think there's anything wrong with repeating a week if you need to - I told myself I'm gonna go for it and if I can't do it yet I'll repeat the previous week.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:41 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Joggers are runners too! I once read a column in Runner's World that talked about how we are all runners, no matter how fast or slow or whether we waddle or whatever. ;) Take it at whatever pace you need to in order to get it done...you can always do speedwork later.

I started out doing C25K and transitioned to a beginners 10K program at week 4 when the times matched up...I did that because I am ultimately training for an 8K in July. My 5K is in May. I'm loving how motivating Nike + GPS makes it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I got an ipod touch for my birthday a few months ago. I bought the app recently and I love it. I repeated week 2, mainly because I was scared to start week 3. However, yesterday I did the first day of week three and it was easier than I expected.

I've never enjoyed running, but the activity is growing on me. It's stress relief and I'm always proud of myself when I complete something.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:51 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

keep it up finno!! it's good fun and it's wonderful to look back and say, yes, i did it!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:47 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I started Couch to 5K tonight! It was ... embarrassing. But it felt good, excepting all of the street harassment I experienced. I mentioned the harassment in a Tumblr entry about running and a male friend made a pretty insensitive comment so now I want to wring his neck. He implied that if I ran around a park I wouldn't be in that situation. Which, because I live in Oakland and he suggested Crissy Field (a beautiful former airfield along San Francisco's marina, incidentally one of the whitest neighborhoods in the city) I suspect had some racist undertones. It was both amusing and enraging because I was running in a park (albeit Lake Merritt, which is a lake) and because he thinks my 'hood is the problem and not, you know, all men everywhere. I have been harassed on the street far, far less living in Oakland than I was in San Francisco. :shrug:
All that aside, I hope I can make running a thing that I do for myself. It hurt my knees a little—maybe that will go away?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:13 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I remember when i used to run in NYC and getting harrassed on the street. Not cool (this at the time of the central park jogger case too....)

i run in a gym partly to avoid this crepe.
maybe you can find a meetup thing of new runners to go with? lots of people seem to be doing C25k.

as for your knees- how are your shoes? if this was your first run you might just be a bit sore due to the novelty of it.
hang in there!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:44 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Our Fleet Feet here does Couch to 5K training groups with group runs. You might be able to find something like that if you're interested in running with a group.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:15 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I just started week 4. As I increase each week and I a little more scared if I can actually do it. I finish and have no issues, but it's that fear of not knowing that gets to me. I am also doing it while pushing my son in his jogging stroller.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:53 am 
Seagull of the PPK

keep it up!! if you can't do it, you repeat it. no biggie. i felt weird about it til i went to the forums and realized that everyone seemed to be nervous at certain points. if you need to do it over, you do it over. i liked that aspect a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:03 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I started yesterday...and I found it very difficult. I'm planning on doing a 5k in the fall, so I'm ok with repeating things. I'm taking it very slow, and trying to stay positive!

"They say "Plants react to light" Wait plants photosynthesize? Holy crepe! "Plants react to negative stimuli" plants grow back when they've been cut? Sweet baby Jesus, hand me some bacon QUICK!" nickvicious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:13 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Finished week 1, and went on to W2, D1. I was surprised that it seemed easier than the W1 walk/runs. However, today I'm very sleepy and low-energy so this evening's run (W2, D2) might be different. I'm so happy that I have week 1 under my belt!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:56 am 
Nailed to the V

I'm joining you, fenice & VeggieKillah!

I did W1D1 today. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. I was there and I still don't believe it. I ran today. WHAT.

The last time I ran for any length of time longer than 2 seconds (like, to get out of the crosswalk when the light changes, hahaha) was in high school when we had to run a mile or fail gym class. But 1) you had to do a mile in 15 minutes so you could pretty much walk it, and 2) that was like 16 years ago. But note the "had to" part; the last time I ran voluntarily I was probably 7 years old.

This is kind of a big deal for me. For as long as I can remember I've thought that there are people who are athletic and/or good at sports, and people who are not, and if you're a "not" you'll never be. And that I'm a "not." Which is probably part of why I'm 300 pounds and really out of shape. AND YET-- I WENT RUNNING TODAY.

YOU GUYS. I *RAN* today. And it was FUN. And I'm going to do it AGAIN, on WEDNESDAY.

I have to thank the ppk for inspiring me (this thread & the Zombie Apocalypse Running thread, because going to Run For Your Lives is officially my new mission in life). I downloaded the week 1 podcasts from runningintoshape.com so thanks for the tip!

...Did I mention that I ran today? I did. And I did not die. I didn't even cry or whine. AHHH, WHAT?

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:55 pm 

Way to go, Mack -- you are awesome! I hope you wrote down your achievement in capital letters in your journal. YOU RAN!!!

I've been a dedicated little trudger. I've noticed that my speed is getting slower and slower as I go on, but I figure as long as I'm still running, it's all good.

I just did W4, D1 on Sunday -- it's 3 min run, 1.5 min walk; 5 min run, 2.5 min walk; and repeat. I did all the runs and I realized I'm already running TWICE as much as I did in week 1. It's amazing, isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:32 am 
Nailed to the V

WOW, twice as much that soon?? I'm scared, but also excited. OMG, I'll be there before July is even over!!

That's not a bad idea! I was keeping a journal when I was doing New Rules of Lifting for Women - notes above & beyond my training logs, & someplace to keep the training log paper. I also love looking back and see how much more weight I can lift now, and remember how exhausted I was, collapsed on the floor in a puddle of sweat with that first workout with "baby" weights! I should pull out the notebook & keep couch-2-5k notes in there.

(I'm on a break from NROL because I pulled my lower back carrying an air conditioner up 2 flights of stairs, and then not resting enough before trying to restart weightlifting. SO CRANKY. I loooooved it.)

Week 1 Day 2! Done! I did not die! AGAIN! It was much, much harder this time, though. I think it was a combination of things. My hips were really sore yesterday. I read online that can be due to basically running weird on a treadmill. One of the things they suggested was increasing the incline on the treadmill to help with posture yet not stretch your stride out in front of you too far. So I tried that today. It helped, but also made the run much more tiring! I was DRIPPING, and I felt like I BARELY got through it, versus Monday where it was tough while I was doing it but when I was done I was all energized and "YAAAAY I WANT TO RUN MOOOOORE!" The good news is, I did a lot of stretching yesterday, and stretching + foam rolling this morning before running. I also did an extra 5 min of warmup walking, paying special attention to not reaching forward with my stride, staying loose, etc. My hips aren't 100% better, but they're a little better and definitely not worse. YAY! (oh yeah, also new shoes.)

The other thing was, Monday I used the running into shape original podcast. Today I tried the "rock" version. Do Not Want. It's just not my taste I guess, I thought the songs were annoying, boring, or both, and none had a fast enough beat for the running. I need to find some more music to try, and for Friday I'll just switch back to the original podcast.

I still have a really weird and awkward gait, I feel like. I'm hoping as I get better, stronger, and eventually, lighter, that will get better. I just run all over the place. The length of my stride, how far apart my legs are, where my feet hit, whether I'm in the middle of the belt or not, it all varies wildly just within a 60s run. I must look ridiculous. If I were a cartoon character I'd be Slapstick McGee. I'm visiting family next week so week 2 will be done outside, on the sidewalk (early morning before it gets too hot!) so I'll see how that feels. If it's way better, I just have to wait until my back is better also. Then I'll switch up and do MWF gym days with Mr. Spork as strength training, and run outside TRSa (early, before hot! I'm not ready to learn to dress like a runner...).

Oh yeah, and nothing gets your adrenaline up for a run like almost falling off the treadmill midway through... Hahahaha. I tried closing my eyes and relaxing to try and concentrate on not running so weird, and I guess I slowed down doing that because all the sudden I was at the very back of the belt. Freaked me OOOOOOOOOOUT. But I recovered fine, and by the time I was done going "AHH DONT DO THAT" it was walk time anyway. Ha. Hahaha.

I think between that & this program I've discovered it's not that I don't like working out, it's that I need 1) structure and 2) something that's challenging, but not TOO hard/painful right off the bat. When I have a very specific structure that includes a way to increase the challenge, and something to work for, I actually kind of love it. I used to drag myself out of bed to go to the gym (or accidentally-on-purpose sleep in, then wake up at normal time apologizing to Mr. Spork all "oh I'm sorrrrrryyyy I'm just soooooo tiiiiiiired..." hahaha), now I bounce up all "YAY TIME TO RUN"

So how was everybody else's morning? Mine was good, you know, the usual. Got up, had some fruit, WENT FOR A RUN, got ready for work, no big thing... ;) Heeeeeeeeee.

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:34 pm 

Mack, it sounds like you have a great fitness base on which to build your running. Nice work!

As I go on doing C25K, it encourages me to try or return to other activities and rebuild other components of my fitness. My Tuesday run was better than the Sunday run; in fact, I was able to bump up the speed a little, little bit. I, too, am running on a treadmill. I have a swollen bursa in one hip and doing anything on an incline is out, for the time being.

I agree with you about the structure -- I find that having a very specific routine is working well for me. I like my iPhone app, Get Running, because I can either listen to my own music while the app (with its spoken cues) is running or I can put the iPhone on the holder on the treadmill, and occasionally glance at it to see where I am in the day's routine.

I'm so pleased that I'm still slogging away at this routine -- I tend to start out strong and then drift away, but week 4 and I'm still going. I'm looking forward to next Tuesday, as that will put me about halfway through the program!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks, but hahahahahahaha I am laughing at the idea of me as having a "fitness base"!! ha! <3 I can now walk up the stairs to my 3rd floor apartment (well, walk very quickly up, rather than trudge & pull myself along by the banister) without wheezing and panting. Does that count as a "fitness base"?

OW to hip things! Yes, the incline was for a different hip thing. Which I'm happy to report is much better! I stretched a lot yesterday & brought my foam roller to work with me. Today I have no pain! Tuesday every time I stood up to walk to the bathroom or get water or something I was like "oh, yeah, OW!! I hope I'm not permanently damaged..." Today, nothing! I'm so psyched for run 3 tomorrow.

I'm eventually going to get one of the apps where I can use my own music, to try it out. I do like having music that isn't as familiar to me as I'm not anticipating the timing as much. I have been making mental notes of songs that I think would be a good pace for future use.

Wooo! let me know at your halfway point, I'll save you a high five. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Go y'all! Run on. I think stride and such gets easier as you do it. I don't run on a treadmill, so it is different, but it gets easier as you stick with it.
Onward!

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:09 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I'm repeating week three for the third time! I can't bring myself to run on holiday so I keep taking breaks. I'm determined to actually start week 4 soon, maybe even next week if this week goes okay & I don't feel the need to repeat week 3 again!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:24 am 
Nailed to the V

Whatever works, jojo! You'll get there!

I can't decide if I should repeat week 1 next week, since I will be on vacation. I think I don't actually NEED to, I just want to for wiener-baby reasons. Hahaha. I've promised myself I will TRY week 2. If it's too hard, I can go back to week 1 for the rest of the week.

Week 1 Run 3 Done!!! It wasn't "easy" but I ran a lot faster for a couple of my 60s runs (I liked the song.). I felt a little less weird about my gait... I think I need to pretend I'm running on the ground - for my faster runs I was trying to "run like you're trying to go somewhere" rather than "run like you're trying to not fall off the treadmill" and it was better. It helps to imagine I'm moving my body through space, rather than moving my feet to keep up with the scary moving thing underneath me, if that makes sense.

I still have some lower back pain from the pulled muscles, but my hip pain is totally gone. I'm stooooooooooooked. As of Tuesday I was seriously afraid I was going to have to quit the program until after losing weight. WOOOOOO! RUNNING!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:41 am 

Mack, I love your description of "run like you're trying to go somewhere"! I repeated that to one of my coworkers who's just started walking on a treadmill due to relatively serious health issues, and she said it really helped her feel more stable and balanced on the treadmill. So thank you for that!

Just finished Day 1 of Week 5. I thought three segments of 5-minute runs sounded intimidating, but I realized in week 4 I was doing 16 minutes of running, just divided into four segments instead. So I figured I could do this.

I've been running more and more slowly each week, but this morning, my legs said, "You know, Fenice, we can go faster than this." Weird sensation -- like having an eager dog pulling at the leash. So I actually did up my speed a little, then a little more. I'm still running at a speed where I could be passed by a Yorkshire terrier, but it's faster than it was last week! I think this is the third or fourth time I've started a C25K and this is definitely the furtherest I've ever gone.

In fact, I was feeling pretty damned good about my fitness improving until I smashed my shin into a footstool. Ow. Note to self: Fitness also requires awareness of surroundings.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:34 am 
Ninja Master

I completed this last year then busted my hip and it all went to shiitake! haha. So anyway, I'm starting again. I am planning to start today but I'm not sure I should as my lower back is sore. I might give it a go anyway and see how I go.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

Owwww, sorry about your shin fenice! I hope you feel better soon!

Great job speeding up! I think our bodies can just handle different things different days. I know I find it interesting to learn what my body can do (you know, besides lie on the couch to watch tv or lie in bed to watch a dvd...). I cracked up at the yorkie comment, hahahaha. Hey, 5 minute intervals is nothing to sneeze at even at yorkie speed!

Baps, I had a sore lower back when I started! But I think it depends WHY your back is sore. Take it slow at first, pay attention to posture & do lots of stretching!

I did week 1 run 2 early Sunday morning. I ran on the sidewalk! Exciting! I still felt weird and slapsticky for the first two run segments but was able to get into it. I think I just run fearfully (afraid of tripping, twisting an ankle, of the pounding hurting my knees/shins/whatever...) unless I make a conscious effort not to. I think I ran faster for a few intervals! It's nice to be able to vary my pace as much as I want.

I did have to do a lot of mental gymnastics to get outside though. It was like listening to two sides of my brain argue.
Mean Brain: "You're going to look stupid. People will laugh."
Nice Brain: "it's 6am Sunday. No one is outside to laugh."
MB had a lot to say about what people would think if they saw me, of my outfit, of how I run, what song I was listening to (MB "lookit that fat girl grooving to 'hey ya'... laaaame!" NB: "really? People asleep inside their houses at 6am on a Sunday can hear what you're listening to THROUGH EARBUDS???" And so forth.)
I literally had to explain to myself multiple times: no one is going to come out of their house and be like "go home, fat girl! You can't run!"... and if they do, ...so? They're not going to physically escort you home so you CAN'T finish your run, so who cares?

It was... interesting, to say the least.
I don't feel weird at the gym, because everyone is there to exercise. I guess I feel like I need to "belong" on the sidewalk somehow. I'm proud I shouted down the crazy and did my run.
My dad is interested! He wants to come with me! I might do an extra week1 run in between my week 2's, if he'll come. Quote of the week also comes from dad, from when I came in from my run & we were both getting a glass of water: "young people get up and go running; old people get up and take pills." HA. <3

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 795 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 32  Next