| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 132  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:31 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

If any of you are in the Boston area, someone from Sudo Shoes is starting a veg running group with the first run on Sunday Nov 25. You can find it through Sudo's FB page. I'm planning to go.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:50 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

pannkakan wrote:
Nothing motivates me as much as heavy rain and Motorhead.

THIS!^^^^

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:29 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i went running on the beach this morning!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:38 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Very important (not really) cold weather running question: for those of you who wear running tights, do you wear shorts over or no? For some reason I'm okay wearing capris that are similarly tight, but long tights, I'm not sure.
Yes, I realize this is a silly question.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:49 am 

No shorts over. Never occurred to me. Plus, the only shorts I have are the kind with the built-in underwear, which I think would be uncomfortable over tights.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:14 am 
Dead by dawn

I don't wear shorts over. I'm actually more comfortable in my long tights than my capri length ones. But that doesn't make any sense either since they fit the same.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:34 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I just bought myself some long running tights ready for winter. I've held off because I just thought they wouldn't suit me. I think 3/4 length are a better look on me. However I took my sister along to check they looked okay & she thinks they do. My BF said he thinks they probably look better than the 3/4 length ones. I never even thought of putting shorts over the top.
I've not run for a week now as I've had a cough. It still hasn't gone but I'm so fed up of not running that I'm gonna get my new tights on & get out there tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:09 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Ok phew. My instinct was to just wear the tights but then I noticed other runners around here wearing shorts over them and wondered if that was like...a thing.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:56 pm 
Dead by dawn

I see some runners do it and I guess it has to do with being self-conscious. I wouldn't mind having my butt less exposed but I don't even own running shorts and I'm not going to buy some to wear as a second layer!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:21 pm 
Chip Strong

Depending on how cold your "cold weather running" is, some people might be rocking the layered shorts look for a little wind protection for the extra sensitive parts.

I'm having some toe/blister problems. I have always been very blister prone, but last marathon training cycle I started getting this new thing where my third toe/toenail rubs awkwardly against my second toe and I get these tiny abrasions in between which hurt and bleed a lot. It was only happening on long runs (longer than an hour) but yesterday I went out for a quick 5km and I cam home to a bloody sock. I've tried liquid bandages, all sorts of band-aids, moleskin, bodyglide. I'm now thinking of trying the running toe socks. Has anyone tried them or have any advice?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:03 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i would definitely try a toe sock or one of those little toe tubes. i have so many blister issues that i've tried nearly everything at one point or another. i do have to keep my toenails super short or else i have bloody sock too.
(my shoes are about 2 months old but i am still doing double-socks because I think I might still blister.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:21 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I just wear the tights. The only thing I wear over them is a pair of wind pants when it's really cold.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

studio wrote:
Depending on how cold your "cold weather running" is, some people might be rocking the layered shorts look for a little wind protection for the extra sensitive parts.

I'm having some toe/blister problems. I have always been very blister prone, but last marathon training cycle I started getting this new thing where my third toe/toenail rubs awkwardly against my second toe and I get these tiny abrasions in between which hurt and bleed a lot. It was only happening on long runs (longer than an hour) but yesterday I went out for a quick 5km and I cam home to a bloody sock. I've tried liquid bandages, all sorts of band-aids, moleskin, bodyglide. I'm now thinking of trying the running toe socks. Has anyone tried them or have any advice?

Toe socks have helped my inner-toe rubbing a lot! As in, totally eliminated it. I strongly recommend you try it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:13 pm 

Tights were fab. Did a lovely slow 4 mile run with my friend who has just started running 3 weeks ago. She is already at 4 miles! Unbelievable! It took me months to get to 4 miles.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:17 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just signed up for the Green Bay Marathon in May, trying to make it a family event. Yay! Excited to have a new goal.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:54 pm 
Chip Strong

I tested the toe socks tonight on a badass hill run. They were awesome! See ya later, bloody socks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:19 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Go Invictus! I have to decide whether to do a full in May. It would be my first - have done a few halfs.

I have been mostly swimming since spring but for the past few weeks have been ramping up my running again. I don't want to stop swimming so I am running on the treadmill at the gym and then hopping into the pool. I used to hate the treadmill but I am adjusting. It is also the only way I can guarantee to get in the distance I need during the winter here, given my time restrictions (I can only usually run early in the morning and if it is icy/snowy and dark I am not happy). A couple times a week I run outdoors. It seems to be a good combo for now.

Anyone have any treadmill tips? I have just been putting the incline up and down periodically as I run, and listening to Q podcasts :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:46 am 
Saggy Butt

Way to go, everyone!
I just wear tights also but I noticed that in Japan everyone wears shorts over them. So many people that i felt slightly uncomfortable going out with just tights. I've seen a few women wear those running skirts over tights when it's really cold which doesn't seem like a bad idea because my thighs always freeze.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:14 am 
Saggy Butt

Ok, this is long but I'm torn and would appreciate some advice. I'm deciding my spring full marathon and it's between Bratislava on March 24 and Linz on April 21. Both seem like good races; small but fairly well organized (from what I can tell) and mostly flat but I'm guessing crowd support is better in Linz.
A few considerations are: I'm on vacation until 4 January where I won't be able to reliably run so training won't start until after that, there are races that I'd like to run (a half and a 10k) on April 14 and April 28, it's really cold here in Jan/Feb and my long runs will probably be affected, I'd like to break 4 hours sometime next year.
So..if I run the earlier race I'd have only 12 weeks to train and might not be able to get in all my long runs because of cold and I'm unlikely to meet my time goal. But I'd be done with my full and could run the shorter races in April.
And if I run the later race I'd have a lot more training time and won't be affected as much by cold. I could try to break 4 hours. But I wouldn't be able to run anything else in April.
I should note that I can and will run on a treadmill when it's really cold but i hate them and there's no way i can run 20 miles on one.
I suck at making decisions!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:50 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i wish i had your problem, inceptisol!! sadly marathon is still waaaaaay out of my reach.

i had the most amazing run today since i sort of fell off the wagon a few months ago. Slow and fast and slow and fast, rinse and repeat. Amazing music. [Prince Kiss, Grateful Dead covering Maggie's Farm, FF Everlong.... Iggy Pop.....] twice, I was ready to pack it in and said "oh just one more song!!!" How often do you get that?

I use podcasts but i have to say, lately the music has been much more motivating.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:19 pm 

inceptisol wrote:
Ok, this is long but I'm torn and would appreciate some advice. I'm deciding my spring full marathon and it's between Bratislava on March 24 and Linz on April 21. Both seem like good races; small but fairly well organized (from what I can tell) and mostly flat but I'm guessing crowd support is better in Linz.
A few considerations are: I'm on vacation until 4 January where I won't be able to reliably run so training won't start until after that, there are races that I'd like to run (a half and a 10k) on April 14 and April 28, it's really cold here in Jan/Feb and my long runs will probably be affected, I'd like to break 4 hours sometime next year.
So..if I run the earlier race I'd have only 12 weeks to train and might not be able to get in all my long runs because of cold and I'm unlikely to meet my time goal. But I'd be done with my full and could run the shorter races in April.
And if I run the later race I'd have a lot more training time and won't be affected as much by cold. I could try to break 4 hours. But I wouldn't be able to run anything else in April.
I should note that I can and will run on a treadmill when it's really cold but i hate them and there's no way i can run 20 miles on one.
I suck at making decisions!

That's a tough one. It sounds like you feel like you may not be ready for the first race. Will you feel disappointed or stressed by the worry of not being ready for it? If so maybe you should do the second race as you have got more time to prepare. I would imagine that picking the right marathon is the most important consideration rather than the 10k's. Good luck whatever you decide.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:20 pm 

I ran for an hour yesterday & 67 minutes today. I even included steep hills & steep steps! Whoo!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:19 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Just 5 miles today, but good. I am oddly excited about even colder weather. I feel like that's when I'm really in my element.

Bought some winter running gear yesterday, including Yak Tracks, gloves, and a nice running jacket! Now I truly will have no excuse to stay indoors this winter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:26 am 

Half marathon yesterday in 1:58:30 - I made my goal of under two hours, and am officially celebrating a full recovery from pulling my hamstring last November (well, FULL will be when I can do a split again, but I'm too scared to try). I wore my No Meat Athlete shirt and got one shout-out but didn't realize it until it was too late to respond.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:39 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Nice job, Dave!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 132  Next