| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suggestions for non-slip yoga mats/gear
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:35 pm 
Human Gravy

I am a sweat monster and need an effective non-slip mat or add-on (towel, gloves, etc) for my (not hot) vinyasa yoga practice. So far a friend has suggested yoga paws, but I am looking for other opinions.

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for non-slip yoga mats/gear
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:57 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

is it your own mat? metafilter would suggest that washing your own mat will make it sticky even if you're sweaty.
(if it were me i would get a chalk bag like a climber and fill it with cornstarch, but, well, i tend to do weird shiitake like that)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:19 pm 
Human Gravy

torque wrote:
is it your own mat? metafilter would suggest that washing your own mat will make it sticky even if you're sweaty.
(if it were me i would get a chalk bag like a climber and fill it with cornstarch, but, well, i tend to do weird shiitake like that)

I tried washing it- I sprayed it with a bit of method multipurpose cleaner, wiped it off, and then ran water over it for a really long time- but this didn't seem to help. Maybe I didn't get all the cleaner out? I had trouble rinsing it because I only have a shower stall in my apt (and no large sink or hose either). I have tried cornstarch in the past and it helped a little, but it becomes a bit muddy with the sweat (call me 'human gravy'!).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:36 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I bought a Jade Yoga mat and I think it's much better than any other yoga mat I've ever owned. It's not slippery when I am sweaty.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:37 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

the thing i read made it sound like you should wash it with soap/shampoo and rinse it (like in the shower).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:20 pm 
Human Gravy

The Jade mats might be out of my price range at the moment.

I might try washing it again. The spray was a guess before I read any instructions. Although, from what I have read, I am also thinking that gaiam mats might just be slippery in general.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:58 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Have you tried an Ashtanga yoga rug? Like these:

I use it for sun salutations and the standing series, over my plain old mat. I sweat a lot too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:47 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

torque wrote:

I'm so glad to know I can safely wash my mat and maybe even have a positive side effect. I noticed last week at yoga class that my mat smells funny. It's like it's soaked up onion cooking smell from my house. Not good when I'm trying to breath through my nose and my nose is pointed at the mat! I also get sweaty feet when I practice, and then slip, so if my mat gets stickier from washing I'll be extra happy. Hmmm, could the sweaty feet be to blame for the smelly mat? Anyway, I'm off to wash my yoga mat!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:20 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Oh I have a yoga mat question so I'll throw it here!

I bought a Gaiam yoga kit like 5-6 years ago and was using that mat. The husband wanted to be helpful because I said I wanted a new better mat and he bought me the Gaiam premium thickness one today as an early V-day present. Unfortunately, I realized that it's a PVC mat (http://answers.gaiam.com/answers/9381/p ... stions.htm) and I feel like that's not something I want, but I'd like input. I am willing to spend more than your average $20 mat but not so much as your $100 mat yet (I want to prove to myself that I can keep yoga-ing and then I'll upgrade).

Also, re: the sweaty thing, he bought me a gaiam yoga towel that you can lay down on top of your yoga mat. Haven't used it yet, but maybe that would work? I don't do hot yoga.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:35 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I just bought a Manduka ProLite 71" mat that I have yet to try (just bought it tonight), but I'll let you know if I like it. I've read good things. I'm also a slippery slidey person who likes more cushioning than the average mat, so there's that!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:50 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Allison, not Alison wrote:
(call me 'human gravy'!).

Heh.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:52 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

alice1drland wrote:
I just bought a Manduka ProLite 71" mat that I have yet to try (just bought it tonight), but I'll let you know if I like it. I've read good things. I'm also a slippery slidey person who likes more cushioning than the average mat, so there's that!

I bought one this morning - in olive - they shipped it out 2 hours after I ordered - nice!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:47 pm 
Human Gravy

appifanie wrote:
alice1drland wrote:

I bought one this morning - in olive - they shipped it out 2 hours after I ordered - nice!

You guys, let me know how this one is. I am debating getting a Jade, but if you think this one's good I could be persuaded.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:58 pm 

I really like it so far. I got the Manduka because it was thicker (but not as thick as the Manduka Pro Black, which apparently weighs a gazillion pounds), and because a lot of people said this one lasted way longer than Jade mats do. I can't really speak to the longevity of this thing, but it certainly feels like it can handle a lot!

And appifanie -- the lady at the place where I bought my mat instinctively handed me the teal one. It's like she KNEW I wanted the brightest shade they had! I hope you like yours when it arrives!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:10 am 
Tofu Pup

I have head a lot about The Manduka mat. Though expensive they offer a great support and are very much comfortable. Prevents one from sliding and slipping.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:31 am 

Yogitoes Skidless towel works quite well over your mat. It works best when you are sweating, so when you start you may want to moisten your downward dog hand and foot positions so the mat doesn't slide. After that you are all set.