| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115 ... 132  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:15 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Ok Monkeytoes here are my secrets to run a good race, things that not even my coach knows...

The Thursday before the Half marathon(the half marathon was on Sunday) according to my plan I had to do a 50 minutes easy run. I did that but the last 10 minutes of it I increased the speed pretending that I was already running the half marathon.

On Friday I was supposed to do cross training which I did, but at the end of the cross training which was really relaxed I went to the treadmill and ran much faster than my racing speed and stopped just at the moment that my legs started to feel slightly tired.

The workout on Thursday helped me to get used to the racing pace, and the one on Friday helped me to tell my legs not to worry because the pace at the race will be much slower.

Then during the race I always force myself to run slow for first 500m (first km in a half marathon). The amount of energy that 99.99% of the runners waste on the first km just because they are anxious is incredible. And later on the race you'll have to pay that energy back and with interests.
It becomes very motivating to start overtaking other runners. Also once I do that what I used as a tactic during races is to focus on a runner in front of me and in a relax way try to catch him. Once I'm there I can slow down a little to be at his pace behind him, get some energy, let him cut the air for me, and once I'm ready pass him and look for the next runner to catch.

In big races where I do not have any chance to win that strategy has always helped me a lot to enjoy the race and be surprised by my time at the end.

Another thing always run relaxed, the moment to push yourself is on the last 200m to 1000m depending of how you trained, if you push yourself before that you'll pay it later and with interests. Your time depends on your training and your intelligence during the race not on how hard you push yourself.

enjoy the half :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:59 pm 
Dead by dawn

Thanks worldrunner. We always do some very short faster-than-race-pace intervals a day or two before but I've never thought of it as telling my legs not to worry because the race will be slower. :)

I had a chat with Coach today and we laid out the plan, not that I didn't really know what I'm supposed to be doing. But it's always reassuring to have Coach telling you all the reasons why you can do it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:38 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

The PSPDFSDFJASDJA problems thread has prompted me to finally get a running hat for when it rains. So, any running hat suggestions? I like to run cold, so preferably something really breathable and hopefully with some SPF protection so it can protect my scalp during the summer. Oh, and I have longer hair and put it up in a pretty high pony tail when I run, so something that would work with.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:52 pm 
Dead by dawn

I don't know if it's this one exactly, but our team uses Headsweats mesh hats. I have a black one, which would possibly be better scalp protection, although white's probably cooler (I like to run cold, too... I have a fleece beanie, but it only gets used a few times each winter.) I switch to a visor in the summer; I figure when my hair is in a ponytail without a part then my hair is enough protection?

Edit: I also have a Zoot hat that's really similar to this one. Same idea. Cool, breathable, etc...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:40 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks! I've been looking at hats on Amazon, and I'll find one that looks breathable, but then they won't have a picture of the back so I'll have no clue about potential ponytail issues.

And that's what I think, too, but then I hear about people getting skin cancer on their heads and get nervous.

Ohhh, how does the hole in the back of the Headsweats one compare to the Zoot one? I like how big the hole is on that one!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:04 am 
Dead by dawn

Simply_Love wrote:
Thanks! I've been looking at hats on Amazon, and I'll find one that looks breathable, but then they won't have a picture of the back so I'll have no clue about potential ponytail issues.

And that's what I think, too, but then I hear about people getting skin cancer on their heads and get nervous.

Ohhh, how does the hole in the back of the Headsweats one compare to the Zoot one? I like how big the hole is on that one!

They're pretty much identical. They're both adjustable, so plenty of ponytail room. The Headsweats one closes with a clasp and the Zoot one closes with velcro... that's really the only difference between the two.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:32 pm 
Dead by dawn

Hey S_L, I was just at Target. They have C9 breathable mesh hats for $14.99. I actually noticed them because they have hang tags that mention UV protection. I saw white and a neony-peachy-orangey color (which I almost bought, but I have one head and four hats and no jobs... the math just didn't work out!)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:20 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

More ore less recently I started having problems while running with dogs chasing me in a not so friendly way, which is kind of strange because dogs used to like me a lot.
I wonder if this has to do with the fact that I do not smell like a carnivore anymore and that they probably confuse me with a pray.
Or just that dogs over here are not that friendly?
Does anybody has any clue why this could be happening?
Has anybody of you experienced bad luck with dogs while running?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:10 pm 
Dead by dawn

I have way more problems with dog owners than with dogs. Around here, most people use those long retractable leashes and don't always pay attention to how far away their dog is and whether or not it's getting tangled up with people. But I have never been chased in a non-friendly way. Anecdotally, I have not eaten meat in 27 years so if not smelling like a carnivore was a reason for dogs to confuse me with prey, I'd probably have been eaten years ago. :) I'm going to guess that it's reflective of the culture of dog ownership where you are (versus where you used to be before you noticed this?) Like, rather than dogs not being as friendly, maybe it's the humans who just aren't valuing making sure their dogs are good citizens, keeping appropriate control of them, etc... I'm not sure how you would change that. People are usually pretty hostile to any suggestion that they are not responsible owners...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:53 pm 
Dead by dawn

The quest to go sub-2 continues. I hadn't run longer than 5 miles in 5 or 6 weeks, I started late because there was a complete cluster fork of traffic getting into the park and crossing the start line completely alone sort of messed with my head, I went out too hard and couldn't hold the pace, and the course was short anyway so my time would have been a bit meaningless. Just wasn't my day, I guess. The positive takeaway is that I didn't and don't hurt, so my hip and quad issues seem to be all healed up and I can move on to focusing on the Vancouver marathon in May.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:13 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

worldrunner79 wrote:
More ore less recently I started having problems while running with dogs chasing me in a not so friendly way, which is kind of strange because dogs used to like me a lot.
I wonder if this has to do with the fact that I do not smell like a carnivore anymore and that they probably confuse me with a pray.
Or just that dogs over here are not that friendly?
Does anybody has any clue why this could be happening?
Has anybody of you experienced bad luck with dogs while running?

I thought you might find this link interesting: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sophia-yi ... 12960.html

You're really not alone in this. Perhaps because you act a bit differently towards dogs lately you stand out more for them? Or maybe you just got unlucky, it's incredibly common unfortunately.
I also feel that a lot of fault lies with the dog owners, dogs just follow their instincts and dog owners should keep their dogs on leashes if they tend to chase anything that moves.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:17 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Better luck next time on the half monkeytoes. And even better luck for your marathon training.

About the dogs, I changed country maybe dogs over here are not trained that well. Last incident was a little scary it was with a Belgian shepherd, that was much stronger than the owner and broke free to chase me.
I stood still let the dog smell my hand, and the owner came to grab it. Told me that it has never happened before, I said that there was no problem, then I started to run again and the dog started to bark and try to chase me again, fortunately the owner was able to hold the grip this time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:09 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

amonik wrote:
That's interesting, Leonardo. How many times a week do you run? Do you split it evenly or do some longer and some shorter runs?

Sorry I missed this when it was posted last month.
Usually I run five to six times a week. During the work week the runs are oftener shorter, around three miles. During the weekend it's typically in the four and a half mile range.

Lately I have had to adjust because of the weather. I run outdoors, but I don't go out during snowstorms or when there is significant ice on the ground, which we have had a lot of lately. So the length of many runs is just determined by how much I need to catch up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:46 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

monkeytoes wrote:
Hey S_L, I was just at Target. They have C9 breathable mesh hats for $14.99. I actually noticed them because they have hang tags that mention UV protection. I saw white and a neony-peachy-orangey color (which I almost bought, but I have one head and four hats and no jobs... the math just didn't work out!)

Thanks for the heads up! I don't know why I never thought of looking at Target. I love C9 stuff, it's super good quality for the price. Did you see them at the Northgate Target? I went to the one by my parents and they didn't have any :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:42 am 
Dead by dawn

Simply_Love wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Thanks for the heads up! I don't know why I never thought of looking at Target. I love C9 stuff, it's super good quality for the price. Did you see them at the Northgate Target? I went to the one by my parents and they didn't have any :(

Yeah, Northgate.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:27 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

My second victory of the year now in a cross country race :)

distance: 7970m
time: 27:39

My strategy end up working perfectly :)

I got a first place medal :D I want to keep wearing it for the next couple of days :-P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:29 am 
Semen Strong

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:26 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

worldrunner79 wrote:

I got a first place medal :D I want to keep wearing it for the next couple of days :-P

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:30 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I ran 7 miles along the cliff top today. It's my furthest distance since last august and it felt good. Except the two blisters. I've got my first 6 mile race next Sunday, for sport relief, so far we've raised £255, and after my run today I feel more confident that I can run it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:27 pm 
Chip Strong

Congratulations on your win, WorldRunner79!

This morning I ran 34km but I just got back from Maui late last night and had some fabulous runs there. A couple great trails run (big elevation - basically ran up the ridge of a volcano) and a couple runs along the ocean with the waves crashing below me. It was magical.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:38 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

worldrunner79 wrote:

Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:34 am 
Bathes in Braggs

worldrunner you are fast! congratulations.

studio, running on Maui sounds like a dream - lucky you!

I am still running mostly on the treadmill because a) I can only run early in the morning and it is dark + icy and b) it is cold, -20C wind chill this morning, and I am so sick of winter. One advantage is I always know how fast I am going and it is easy to do some speed work. The half I am running is two months from tomorrow and I am planning for 1:50.

I have started listening to audiobooks while I am on the treadmill and am enjoying the Wallander series by Henning Mankell. Most of the time when I run outside I don't wear headphones so this is nice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:59 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'm running three times a week now, and try to vary my runs. I do one run with intervals, and one longer run (not very long yet, I ran 5k for the first time last weekend). The third run I've tried to keep short and easy, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. When I read about running, it says during an "easy" run you should be able to carry on a conversation. For me that would mean I slowed down to a walk. Should I walk instead?

Also, my interval runs turn out to be ridiculously slow because I run the slow intervals r e a l l y slowly. Is this a problem?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:22 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I think I'm just a few month ahead of you, ammonik, and I'm starting to reach the stage at which easy runs feel easy. I think while you're still building up mileage and endurance, rules of thumb for experienced runners don quite work yet. I'd say just keep at it, and increase your weekly mileage at a pace that is comfortable for you.

(For reference, I finished c25k in December, I still run 3 times a week with 2 hour-long runs and one 30 min interval run to break the routine).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:24 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

So I went back to the doctor today. He is now rethinking his original diagnosis of stress reaction and thinks it could actually be a fracture. Yay. So I have to get a bone scan this Friday!

I went for my first run on a track yesterday. I did walk/run intervals for 30 minutes, and it wasn't so bad! I could never do a long run on a track, but I think alternating surfaces could be good for my leg.

The doctor did say that there was still hope for my half marathon in July...but I guess we'll see how the next few weeks go. If I'm not training by mid-April I probably won't be able to do it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115 ... 132  Next