| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's in your gym bag/locker?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:10 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I've finally started going to the gym enough to justify getting a locker instead of just using a cubby - usually I would just go in my gym clothes and come right home so I didn't see the point in asking for a locker, but now sometimes I would like to clean my face and put on my civvies and run errands. I have no plans to shower there because I take 20 minute showers so i'd rather just do that at home, but i'm still worried that i'm going to crowd my locker with shiitake I don't need.

They're half-size high school style lockers, so kind of skinny but fairly tall.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Post subject: Re: What's in your gym bag/locker?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:30 pm 
Dead by dawn

I really only go to the gym to swim so maybe not helpful. I go to the gym in my swimsuit with yoga pants and some kind of shirt or jacket over it, and flip flops. Besides my bag full of pool shiitake which goes out on the deck with me, my gym backpack has two towels, shampoo, conditioner, a bra, face towelettes, comb, a bunch of rubber bands and my lock. I do shower after I swim because I want to get the chlorine out of my hair and suit asap (and because better for the gym to pay the water bill than me!) Then I just put my yoga pants, bra and top back on when I leave. I don't usually run errands because I like to swim late, but I figure I'm dressed enough to stop by the grocery store or whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:51 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

mrsbadmouth wrote:
i'm still worried that i'm going to crowd my locker with shiitake I don't need.

They're half-size high school style lockers, so kind of skinny but fairly tall.

Do you get to keep stuff in the locker after you leave? My experience is that you bring a lock each time and take an open locker just for the time you are there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:32 pm 

Yes. It's the wellness center for Brian's company so it's limited to employees and family, you just bring in a lock and ask them to assign you a locker. You have to swipe in twice a month to retain a locker. So I was thinking of stuff I would want to leave in there all the time.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

When I was a super productive human, I used to bike to my gym in my workout gear and shower there. Some things I found helpful to have in my locker were travel sizes it spares of my toiletries in a shower caddy. You won't be showering there, but it's nice to have something to tote everything to the mirror/sink area. I brought: deodorant, face wash, toner, moisturizer, q-tips, shampoo, soap. They make these deoderizing/cleansing wipes that might be handy if you aren't going to shower. Good for a quick, underarm cleaning.

Spare towels are also good if they don't supply them. You have longer hair, so spares of any hair things you need (ties, headbands, bobby pins). It's the worst getting to the gym and having your hair in your face. I had a little brush. Basically anything I didn't normally carry in my purse, I bought a spare for my locker. The exception to this was makeup, because it was too expensive, so I just brought my kit with me each morning.

You might also find spare underwear and socks useful. You could also pack your gym clothes in a bagat the beginning of the week and have the stuff there and bring home the dirty things after each session.

Everything I did was to save on planning/thinking about what I needed so I could actually get there.

I know people who kept spare headphones, too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:35 am 
Married to the wolfman

I shower after running at work and have to tote my stuff back and forth from my office, so my situation is a little different than yours but I keep:

A towel

Shampoo (doubles as body wash, people seriously stole my soap out of the shower twice)

Hairbrush and a few spare hair ties

TJ's tea tree face wipe things - after exercise is really the only time I wash my face, I find these really refreshing when I'm sweaty

Spare underwear because I often forget this

Change of clothes (hopefully also includes underwear)

Toothbrush (hard runs give me hell mouth)

Deodorant

I also have an extra pair of running shoes because I live in terror of leaving my other ones home and not being able to get my stuff done. If I had enough sports bras to go around I'd leave one of those too. I generally leave the shoes in my office though.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:28 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I actually just joined a new gym, and I'm renting a locker, so I've been thinking about this! I'm probably going to use the gym for lifting and classes, so I'm going to leave shoes in the locker for both (I like to lift in more of a barefoot style shoe, but I need support if I'm jumping around) and maybe a couple of pairs of socks and ponytail holders. Maybe I'll throw a sports bra in, too? I'm trying to not give myself any excuses to skip the gym, so I'm thinking about all of the past reasons I've given myself for missing.

I'll probably shower there because I always feel a little icky if I take the train home all sweaty, so I'm going to keep my small bottle of Dr. Bronners and deodorant. I usually don't worry about washing my hair, but in the past I've kept travel-sized shampoo, conditioner, and a wide-toothed comb. I'm not sure what I'll do about face washing. In the past I've kept the cleansing oil that I bought and didn't love in there, but my eye doctor thinks it contributed to my eyelid drama, so no thank you. I'm just not a fan of wipes though. They either feel like they're not cleaning or they burn (in my experience). I might just buy a second bottle of my go-to face wash and keep in there. Oh, and I've bought a couple of dry shampoo samples that I don't really use, so I'll probably throw one of those in there for good measure.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:10 am 
***LIES!!!***

I shower at the gym and the gym provides soap, shampoo, conditioner, towels, and for those who need them, razors and shaving lotion. Also, q-tips, lotion, and hairspray. So if you want any of those things, store those.

I also keep in my gym bag: spare undies, bra, and socks, comb and elastics, deodorant, running shoes, a book, a magazine, and lotion l like .

I

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:12 am 
***LIES!!!***

Oh yeah, and headphones.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:05 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

In addition to what's been listed above, I always make sure I have lip balm (I'm one of those paranoid where is my lip balm omigod I might die of dry lips people), eye makeup remover wipes, and a separate bag to tote back dirty clothes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:16 pm 

pickledtreats wrote:

Everything I did was to save on planning/thinking about what I needed so I could actually get there.

Yep, that's pretty much what i'm going for. I'm really gung-ho about going four times a week right now, but I know that's going to wear off and I want to make it really easy for me to go. Like right now, I put on my gym clothes first thing in the morning even though I don't go until after lunch, because that's one hurdle.

I'm definitely getting ideas for things that I wouldn't have thought of, like q-tips and clean socks. I don't wear socks at all when it's warm, but when winter comes if my feet get wet in the parking lot i'll want a clean pair. And if I do take a shower, I can't stand water in my ears so i'll want to clean them.

Also I think I am going to start taking hose-off showers because i'm steadily increasing the difficulty on the elliptical because I want to stay there for the same amount of time, and even for a fairly non-sweaty person i'm starting to get really hot and gross. I was taking a makeup wipe and using one end on my face and one end on my armpits before re-applying deodorant but that only does so much. They have a towel service and the showers all have a dressing area in front of them so it's not like I have to deal with a wet towel or anyone seeing my mis-matched underwear.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:27 pm 
Saggy Butt

coldandsleepy wrote:
I shower after running at work and have to tote my stuff back and forth from my office, so my situation is a little different than yours.

I'm in the same situation as you since I just run to the local Y at lunch. I always bring:

A towel
Flip flops
Sneakers
Gym clothes (bra/top/socks/shorts)
Body wash (I hate the stuff they have at the gym)
Lotion
Brush
Cosmetic bag with bobby pins and some make-up
Lush tea tree oil spray
Deodorant
Water bottle
Music/ear buds

I would love to have a locker to just leave stuff in, lugging everything back and forth can be a pain in the arse.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:20 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

FLIP FLOPS! I realized today that I totally forgot about flip flops.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:34 pm 

Oh jesus. Do I really need flip flops if they're individual showers and the bathrooms are kept very clean? I can't wear flip flops because the thing between the toes i'm dry heaving just thinking about it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:44 pm 
Dead by dawn

I'd look for some slide type flip flop-y sandals if you can't do the toe thing, myself. I'm too squicked out at the idea of going barefoot at the gym.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:46 pm 

All of the showers have a dressing area in front of them, so it's two steps from taking shoes off to shower.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Have you ever had athlete's foot? Or ringworm? The fungus is among us. unfortunately.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:05 pm 

Nooooooooooooooooo! Okay, I guess i'll be showerless until I can get some slide-on sandals for cheap.

Not that anyone asked, but I can't wear flip-flops because I had a pair when I was little that rubbed the space between my toes raw and they bled and just thinking about it makes my toes curl. If you told me my options were flip-flops or risking ringworm, I would risk the ringworm. It's a pretty deep phobia.

So I filled up my locker, and I took two small desk organizers, one is a pencil organizer and I put band-aids, a nail file and clippers, stuff like that and the other is also round but shorter and I put smaller, non-long things in there. The locker has one shelf, and it's all the way at the top and a half shelf so there's not much that can go up there. The lockers are also wood/pressed wood so unfortunately, I can't get those magnetic baskets that you put inside the door. So my face wipes, larabars, and spare pair of undies are just jumbled in the bottom so i'm going to get one of those cheap wire kitchen shelves to put in there so everything doesn't end up in a big jumble.

Also, because I thought this was a good idea: I wrote my locker combination on the inside of my shoe in case I lose the slip in my wallet. Most people don't lock their locker while working out because it's such a limited access gym, but if I wanted to and I forgot my combination I can just pop off my shoe and cheat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:13 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

those adidas slides are great, if you like the little nubbies, but you can find ones that are flat too.

(just don't be a dumb shiitake like me and leave them in the hot car, they SHRANK from a 10 to a 6. I kid you not. I thought I was going to cry.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

A lot of great tips here. I'm now adding a travel toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, spare pair of shoes (to my car), and I'm writing my lock combo in my shoes. I never ever forget numbers, but I do have 4 locks between my fence gates, shed, and gym bag.

A few things that I have in my gym bag that I don't think were mentioned:
Notepad and pen
Spare empty water bottle (If I forget good water)
Travel tissue pack
Ibuprofen
Homemade muscle rub (50 percent wintergreen oil, 50 percent olive oil)
Knee braces

I should put a potassium supplement in case I cramp up, but I usually have a banana in the car for a ride home snack.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:24 pm 
Dead by dawn

Writing your combo inside your shoe is a great idea. I am using the combo lock I bought freshman year for my high school locksr so, um... uh... (gulp) 30 years ago next month. If I forget the combo I have much bigger things to worry about than how to get into my gym locker.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:54 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I always wonder how big of a deal athletes foot really is. I've been in and out of locker rooms for like 15 years now (jeez Louise) and never wear anything on my feet between showers and yet have never caught anything.

On the other hand, my feet are pretty much covered in 1/4" callous everywhere.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:55 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i have never caught athlete`s foot, but i have plantar warts. i suspect they came from locker rooms, because I never had them til i started spending lots of time in the gyms. they suck.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20025706

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I never wear shower shoes, nor do I see many others wear them. Never caught athlete's foot at the gym.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:42 pm 
Nailed to the V

I added a spare pair of contacts and a pedometer to my gym bag as well. Not sure why I even have the pedometer, but it might be handy sometime.

Right now I'm not having a problem, but I've had major athlete's foot and jock itch issues in the past. I know they make soap that's anti-fungal, I think it's called "Defense", but I'm sure it is animal tested. Anyone know of non-animal tested brands?