| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gym Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:38 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

Last night at the gym while my boyfriend and I did our post work treadmill catch up there was a guy next to us on a treadmill. The dude started 'boxing' it, then throwing punches at the monitor, making grunting noises and then would stop. People were staring, it was was weird. He did this a few times and left. I waited awhile and complained, the staff person knew who I was talking about but did not mention they would take action. Dude could have broken a machine.

So this made it into my list of gym pet peeves. Here are others.

-Getting sweat all over a machine and not bothering to give it a wipe down. Above dude was guilty of this too.
-Grabbing all the free weights and piling them around you and not sharing.
-Just sitting on the mat/equipment and playing with your phone when people are waiting for the space.
-Women wearing so much perfume that it makes you gag when things start getting sweaty.
-Not enough deodorant. This one guy had such bad BO when he walked by me I almost vomited.
-Not washing your hands after using the bathroom and touching all the equipment. Gag - saw this a few weeks back.
-Grunting/showing off/acting a fool. No one is impressed - get over yourself!
-Personal trainers who flirt and talk rather than train.

Do you have any?

Post subject: Re: Gym Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:02 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

missmuffcake wrote:
-Women wearing so much perfume that it makes you gag when things start getting sweaty.

This is a trail pet peeve of mine. Out hiking there was a woman in the group ahead of us who was so drenched in fragrance that my allergies started going berserker. We were at elevation so the breathing thing was going to be a challenge anyway, but I didn't want to start out compromised. And, they wouldn't let us pass them. Actually, we did pass but then they started cutting switchbacks and got ahead of us again. Blarg.

I cannot deal with overly scented anything (including people)!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:42 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

The non-wiping of machines despite signs everywhere and oh I don't know, common sense, just kills me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:29 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

The oblique machine breaks all the time. Generally I like free weights best, but there are just a few machines that I dig. Alas, I shall have to get used to the cable twist alternative.. Or do twisting crunches.. something.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:59 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Weightlifting screamers...I used to belong to this gym (which I used for many workouts) but I remember in particular, on Wednesday nights I would attend a yoga class, and it was always punctuated, about once every 3 minutes, by this guy who would do a tarzan style scream every time he did a press. If you need to let out THAT kind of noise, you probably should be lifting a bit less.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:30 am 
Impressive boner

jerusalemboheme6 wrote:
Weightlifting screamers...I used to belong to this gym (which I used for many workouts) but I remember in particular, on Wednesday nights I would attend a yoga class, and it was always punctuated, about once every 3 minutes, by this guy who would do a tarzan style scream every time he did a press. If you need to let out THAT kind of noise, you probably should be lifting a bit less.

There was a guy at the last commercial gym I went to who I nicknamed "The Angry Snake", as he would "HISSSS" and "DOOF!" every time he lifted some weights. Everyone across the whole gym floor could hear him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:44 am 
Nailed to the V

When I used to go to the gym there was a guy who stacked a load of dumbells on the assisted pull up machine to make it "harder" which was silly as it had weight pins anyway. Then he just left them there for whoever to move.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:36 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

At the gym I'm about to quit there's a guy who is there no matter when I go, on this ancient-looking stair machine. He puts his forearms over the display and puts his head on his arms while he uses it and sweats all over it. While he's using the machine, he makes this loud throat-clear/coughing noise every six seconds or so, and then every 12 seconds or so, he yells out "WOOOO!" I know how many seconds, because I can hear him OVER the audiobook on my headphones, and I find myself involuntarily counting in between "GARGHGHG!"s and "WOOO!"s.

At the new gym close to work I'm joining with coworkers, there seem to be a lot of dudes there who aren't doing anything at all. We are new to this gym and a little self-conscious, and we aren't sure how to use all of the machines yet. These guys make it so much worse. They just either sit on a machine (resting between sets?) and stare, or stroll around the room staring. It's really unnerving. My preferred gym etiquette includes not staring at or making eye contact with anyone.

Also -- Fox News is on at least two of the ten TVs they have there. At all times.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:52 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

This isn't a peeve but a funny/weird thing: my friend saw someone in the gym locker room get out a saucepan of oatmeal from her locker and eat it with a wooden spoon! I'm picturing that she was cooking the oatmeal and had to leave right that second to go to the gym, with no time to transfer to a more portable container.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:50 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

vixki wrote:
When I used to go to the gym there was a guy who stacked a load of dumbells on the assisted pull up machine to make it "harder" which was silly as it had weight pins anyway. Then he just left them there for whoever to move.

Adding extra weight to the assisted pullup machine makes it easier! You would think he would be embarrassed that he had to add that much weight, therefore he would hurry to clear the dumbbells away so no one would see!