| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Self Defense
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:42 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

So, I've been thinking that with all my exercise routines that I rotate through, I should probably be smart and add in some self defense for a better sense of security... A friend of mine who has taken a few different martial arts classes just moved away, but he keeps telling me to take krav maga or jiu jitsu classes.

Are there any other self defense techniques you PPKers like?

Post subject: Re: Self Defense
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:32 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I don't know of any techniques but I've always wanted to purchase one of these :

http://www.defensedevices.com/black-cat.html

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:04 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

RatsRGods wrote:
I don't know of any techniques but I've always wanted to purchase one of these :
Those are both totally awesome and totally unethical. Is buying something that is effectively a self-concealing weapon (well, it's disguised) less ethical than eating eggs? Oh, the dilemma. I'd rather get some good, sensible-looking running shoes.

Or an actual black cat to throw at my assailants. I would name him Schrödinger, because you couldn't know whether he'd leave someone alive or dead (or both at the same time).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

RatsRGods wrote:

When I used to live in a really shitty part of north philly, I would sometimes walk home with my keys between my fingers like claws to I could gouge out an assailant's eyes if necessary. I got mugged once, but he had a gun so self defense was just giving him what he wanted*.

in the vein of the actual thread: I do punching, but I really want to take some basic/applicable self defense.

eta *= cash, he wanted my cash and I had exactly 3 dollars on me.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:27 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Part of PE in high school was a "self defense" unit for girls, which was useful in that it taught various ways to get away if someone was physically restraining you and/or incapacitate them momentarily so you could get away. Beyond having my brother test my amazing "escape-any-grip-as-long-as-it's-somewhere-on-my-forearm" skills, I never used anything I learned there, but it made me feel safer that I knew these things when I first moved to Boston and walked alone at night a lot.

Anyway, if your interest is more about knowing some self defense than about learning a martial art, I would sign up for a course like that--most gyms offer them, as well as community centers, and it takes less time, devotion, and coordination than learning martial arts.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:25 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I wish my high school had a self defense unit in PE... All we did was ballroom dancing that was very poorly taught, [really bad] basketball, running up and down the stairs of the bleachers, and the only redeeming PE unit - swimming.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:46 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

booberthefraggle wrote:
I got mugged once, but he had a gun so self defense was just giving him what he wanted*.
eta *= cash, he wanted my cash and I had exactly 3 dollars on me.

Ah! SCARY!

I often think about the self defence class we were given in high school, and there are two moves that stick out in my mind. One is that they said something about punching someone in the nose in an upward fashion with the palm/butt of your hand supposedly can kill someone?! (something about cartilage going into the brain?!) Why would they teach young people this?! (Maybe I am remembering wrong?) Also, the move where you essentially poke them really hard and fast in the windpipe, with your fingers extended straight. Apparently makes it really hard to breath or something? I don't know, these don't seem like the best moves to have taken away from all that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:58 am 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

<JMHO>I'm going to assume that most of you are women. Based strictly on the fact that most male aggressors will have a longer reach and outweigh you by at least 20 pounds, I'd say that toe-to-toe and grappling are a waste of your time. The best way to learn self defense is to take an actual self defense class which focuses on a very limited handful of techniques designed to either get you out of trouble or incapacitate someone long enough to run away and get help. The best classes teach you somewhere between six and a dozen moves which are then drilled endlessly until motor memory kicks in and they become second nature. If I had to pick a particular form of martial arts which addresses self defense expediently (and by expediently I mean "teaches you how to knee balls and gouge eyes without waiting nine months for your blue belt"), I'd say Krav Maga.</JMHO>

rudybro wrote:
Hey guy's,
Do you think that martial arts is good for self defense?

You're on Ross' forum, so I'm assuming you're after something besides boxing?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:54 pm 
ol' garly cooch

Gulliver wrote:
RatsRGods wrote:
Those are both totally awesome and totally unethical. Is buying something that is effectively a self-concealing weapon (well, it's disguised) less ethical than eating eggs? Oh, the dilemma. I'd rather get some good, sensible-looking running shoes.

Or an actual black cat to throw at my assailants. I would name him Schrödinger, because you couldn't know whether he'd leave someone alive or dead (or both at the same time).

Spit take on Schrod's kitty defense!

I miss martial arts so much. I had earned my blue belt in hapkido and had worked up to my red belt in TKD. The great thing about MA is that you DON'T have to have a black belt or be Buffy to be a badass. MA is great exercise, sparring is awesome cardio, and you'll learn so much about yourself, your body, self-restraint, and be able to defend yourself (God forbid) if something goes wrong. I can flip someone over by yanking on their pinky. I've encountered really rude people who have gotten right in my face and assumed because I'm small that I can't do anything without knowing that I'd really hurt them if I absolutely had to. Please know I don't want to do that. MA is about balance. The more I exercise, the more peace I experience.

Regardless of someone's size you can always go eyes, knees, groin, or throat. With the help of some awesome punks, I participated in a women's festival about 11 years ago and we had a FREE self-defense work shop. It made me so happy to hear other people saying they felt better about themselves in just one or two sessions because they weren't so scared.

Classes just got to be to expensive. Now that I'm a parent, I'm too busy and broke. When the kids get a little older, I believe we're going to find a dojo to attend as a family.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:06 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

CNA wrote:
So, I've been thinking that with all my exercise routines that I rotate through, I should probably be smart and add in some self defense for a better sense of security... A friend of mine who has taken a few different martial arts classes just moved away, but he keeps telling me to take krav maga or jiu jitsu classes.

Are there any other self defense techniques you PPKers like?

hey CNA! There's a really nice vegan guy who owns a dojo that teaches a variety of martial arts just down the street from me (I'm in the Haight).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've never done krav maga, but I had a work colleague who swore by it and told lots of extremely convincing stories about how useful it is in real life situations.

When I'm not pregnant any more I will look into joining the class.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:21 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

sameness wrote:
<JMHO>I'm going to assume that most of you are women. Based strictly on the fact that most male aggressors will have a longer reach and outweigh you by at least 20 pounds, I'd say that toe-to-toe and grappling are a waste of your time. The best way to learn self defense is to take an actual self defense class which focuses on a very limited handful of techniques designed to either get you out of trouble or incapacitate someone long enough to run away and get help. The best classes teach you somewhere between six and a dozen moves which are then drilled endlessly until motor memory kicks in and they become second nature. If I had to pick a particular form of martial arts which addresses self defense expediently (and by expediently I mean "teaches you how to knee balls and gouge eyes without waiting nine months for your blue belt"), I'd say Krav Maga.</JMHO>

rudybro wrote:
Hey guy's,
Do you think that martial arts is good for self defense?

You're on Ross' forum, so I'm assuming you're after something besides boxing?

You're probably right. Thanks for the info. I'm super paranoid about someone attacking me. I mean, I know I could take a girl, but they don't typically attack women walking to their cars in a deserted parking lot at night. O_O

- just mumbles

Twitter: TheSpinachGirl
Blog:Spinach Girl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:05 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

Though something that makes me uncomfortable with Krav Maga (besides the obligatory ball kneeing and eye gouging) is that gun and knife disarmament are a part of its more advanced curriculum. If someone points a gun or a knife at you, the only thing you should be doing with your hands is reaching for the sky.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:17 pm 
WRETCHED

Jiu Jitsu is good and fun! I took a mix of korean karate/jiu jitsu and the jiu jitsu does teach you things you can do that don't require a lot of power.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:10 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

linanil wrote:
Jiu Jitsu is good and fun! I took a mix of korean karate/jiu jitsu and the jiu jitsu does teach you things you can do that don't require a lot of power.

You talking Japanese jujutsu, or Brazilian jiu-jitsu?

I have no personal experience with the former, but I've always been fascinated with the judo-like throws and locks. Using your opponent's momentum against him seems like the great equalizer.

If we're talking the latter, yes, lots of fun, and I've never been in better shape when I was rolling regularly. As for BJJ as a means of practical self defense, maybe not so much considering all the magic happens on the ground, and often on your back. Fine on the mats, but not a good place to be in a parking lot or an alley.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:38 pm 
WRETCHED

sameness wrote:
linanil wrote:

You talking Japanese jujutsu, or Brazilian jiu-jitsu?

I have no personal experience with the former, but I've always been fascinated with the judo-like throws and locks. Using your opponent's momentum against him seems like the great equalizer.

If we're talking the latter, yes, lots of fun, and I've never been in better shape when I was rolling regularly. As for BJJ as a means of practical self defense, maybe not so much considering all the magic happens on the ground, and often on your back. Fine on the mats, but not a good place to be in a parking lot or an alley.

I was doing a hybrid but it wasn't Brazillian so I'm guessing it was based on Japanese.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:58 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I took a self defense class my senior year of college for a semester. While the moves were fun to know when you knew someone was going to be attacking you in a few seconds and the exact move they were going to put on you...they weren't very practical when less than a year later I was mugged walking home from work. Turns out muggers don't actually come up from behind you and grab you...they just push you to the ground while ripping your purse out of your hand and run away. It's good to know that the throat, eyes, groin areas are good places to hit/kick...but overall I didn't find that knowing certain self defense moves were too helpful in real life. It IS a fun way to get exercise though!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:11 am 
WRETCHED

micachica wrote:
I took a self defense class my senior year of college for a semester. While the moves were fun to know when you knew someone was going to be attacking you in a few seconds and the exact move they were going to put on you...they weren't very practical when less than a year later I was mugged walking home from work. Turns out muggers don't actually come up from behind you and grab you...they just push you to the ground while ripping your purse out of your hand and run away. It's good to know that the throat, eyes, groin areas are good places to hit/kick...but overall I didn't find that knowing certain self defense moves were too helpful in real life. It IS a fun way to get exercise though!

In the classes I took, when we practiced, it was up to the discretion of the attacker how they were going to attack you. I know it is disorienting but being pushed to the ground while the attacker runs away seems like a better outcome than them grabbing you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:30 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Oh I agree. Although it completely sucked, I'm glad that being pushed to the ground and getting a few scrapes and have my purse stolen was the only thing that happened. It could have been much much worse. It is just my feeling that in my experience the moves I learned in self defense weren't too helpful in a real life situation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:00 am 
Tofu Pup

Hello everyone, I'm just a new here and I'm searching for a good self defense because I want to depend on myself on my own.

-"markyzzykram"-

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:13 pm 
Tofu Pup

Looking for a self defense class too. Model Mugging was suggested but I can't find a class near me. It is important to know you could defend yourself and your children if you had to, especially having been in a situation where I couldn't. I now have pepper spray, a very protective canine friend and wonderful neighbors that aren't afraid to look out for each other. Still would like to be able to be more confidant should I ever have to defend myself or my children again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:59 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

try some form of mixed martial arts or a military fighting system, unfortunately a lot of marital arts is either based upon or have devolved in to little more than woo-woo and often provide more exercise than usable fighting techniques. A street fight is a long way from a highly regulated karate match.

I havnt heard anything bad about Krav Maga. It seems to be based on solid principles with no "qi" bullshiitake. It also seems to have stood the test of time as a functional defensive and offensive system of fighting. Ive personally been interested in military fighting systems such as Krav Maga (Israeli) and Systema (Russian)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:13 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My partner takes Krav lessons. He said that it's not a martial art or sport, it's designed for self defence and combat, whereas jiu jitsu is a sport & martial art, as well as for self defense. He said that if you have the time and want to commit, you would probably be better off in the long run learning jiu jitsu, if not, Krav could be what you are looking for. I am planning on taking Krav classes in the fall myself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:58 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

If its purely for defending yourself on the streets Krav is very good,as is Ju-Jitsu, i have done a mix of thai boxing,boxing and ju jitsu for years and it all helps with confidence,my son is 13 and has done thai boxing since he was 6 and has recently started training in MMA (his own choice) and he was once in a situation where someone tried to take his phone and he dealt with the situation with the confidence someone has who is no longer scared of getting hit in the face ( Which a lot of it boils down to).Whatever martial art or fightstyle you choose,do one that suits you and you feel comfortable with as most of it boils down to the confidence you have in actually using the techniques that you have learnt.I have a friend who is a 3rd degree blackbelt in tae kwon do and he was robbed at knifepoint and was absoluley terrified and had no clue how to implement anything he had learned in that situation.
Luckily in the uk its not so much being held up at gunpoint,but we do have a knife problem which is why my boys both train to give them an advantage.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:58 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Chris F wrote:
If its purely for defending yourself on the streets Krav is very good,as is Ju-Jitsu, i have done a mix of thai boxing,boxing and ju jitsu for years and it all helps with confidence,my son is 13 and has done thai boxing since he was 6 and has recently started training in MMA (his own choice) and he was once in a situation where someone tried to take his phone and he dealt with the situation with the confidence someone has who is no longer scared of getting hit in the face ( Which a lot of it boils down to).Whatever martial art or fightstyle you choose,do one that suits you and you feel comfortable with as most of it boils down to the confidence you have in actually using the techniques that you have learnt.I have a friend who is a 3rd degree blackbelt in tae kwon do and he was robbed at knifepoint and was absoluley terrified and had no clue how to implement anything he had learned in that situation.
Luckily in the uk its not so much being held up at gunpoint,but we do have a knife problem which is why my boys both train to give them an advantage.

I started Krav lessons a couple of months ago and am loving it. It's what you said Chris, they are preparing you to be aware and able to react if any situation arises. I've never done any martial arts or self defence before so it's all new to me. What is a real eye opener is when my instructor (who is a big strong guy) pretends to attack or grabs me, you realize how defenceless you really are as a woman. With the krav skills I'm acquiring, I am more aware of my surroundings, and if anything were ever to happen, i'd hopefully be better equipped to react.

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next