| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Talk to me about... yoga videos!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:50 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I want to work more exercise into my life. I would like to do more running, but life isn't horribly conducive to it right now (I'm not a huge fan of running alone when it gets to be later in the evening, and I often don't have time to exercise until 9 or 9:30 at night), so I think I'd like to get some yoga videos I could do in my apartment to help work on my flexibility and health and all the other really good stuff you get from yoga.

I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions for yoga videos you've enjoyed, ideally with a very beginner slant? I am about as flexible as an unripe cantaloupe, so I need to start gently.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Post subject: Re: Talk to me about... yoga videos!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:55 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I really like Rodney Yee videos. They come in all levels and he is so reassuring! Lots of them are divided into shorter segments so you can do whatever fits into your day.

Here are some, but I'm pretty sure there are tons of them: http://www.yeeyoga.com/rodney-yee-yoga-dvds-books.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:01 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I am a huge fan of Ashtanga yoga, as it's such a great workout and really, really rewarding (it can take months or even years to be able to do poses in even the primary series, but when you do, it's super exciting!). That said, it's challenging, especially on your upper body to begin with (all of those vinyasas), and on your flexibility. David Swenson's videos and books are probably your best guide to the practice. http://www.ashtanga.net/

Having said that, I lazed out of my ashtanga practice over the past year and I have to have a really good sense of humour when I attempt a full primary series with all the vinyasas. Yoga's become more about mental health than physical health for me over the years, so I've taken up more meditative and playful styles, but if you're looking for something super physical (and fun) I do recommend checking out ashtanga.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I find Paul Grilley's Yin Yoga wonderful. He has videos. http://www.paulgrilley.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:23 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Shiva Rea is my most favorite... ever.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:30 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I also like Rodney Yee's DVDs. They're really adaptable to most levels. I like going to classes though, so I haven't really tried any other ones. Though I think I will look into the Paul Grilley DVD vijita posted, because I love yin yoga!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:49 am 
Hail Seitan!

Ooh, I wish I'd known this before I sent your swap package! Perhaps there will be some post-holiday yoga DVDs sent to you. I have several that I don't use as much anymore, but they are still good dvds.

I second the Shiva Rea rec and I think she has a couple of beginner DVDs out there. The MTV yoga dvd is also surprisingly good - i've been using this one for probably seven years now.

If you have netflix, you can always borrow (or watch instantly) yoga DVDs, then figure out which ones you like best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:54 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

before you buy anything definitely check out what netflix, or your on-demand cable offers. Also see if your public library has any dvds to borrow too. I also like Rodney Yee. I've also liked the "yoga booty ballet" dvds which is a mix of yoga/pilates/ballet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:08 pm 

Oh yeah, there's also Yoga Glo! http://www.yogaglo.com/ It's $18/month for unlimited streaming of classes online, with a large variety of styles. I had it for a while and found it a decent deal, especially because it was never repetitive and I had a schedule that prevented me from practicing at normal studio hours, but then I got lazy and wasn't making it worth the cost. The good thing is there is a 15-day trial, and you'll know after a few classes if it's for you. They offer yin classes too, but I didn't like many of the teachers. Paul Grilley is great.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:49 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Another vote for Shiva Rea. My favourite is Daily Energy but Trance Dance & Fluid Power are good too. They are not the easiest yoga dvd's but she does have a beginners one that I haven't tried.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:52 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
I only know about the one where the cat is riding on the lady...and the ladys sexy yoga buttcheeks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:21 pm 
WELFARIST!

I like my Shiva Rea video (I think it's called Yoga Shakti--I like the lunar sequence which is about 60 minutes with relaxation which I do at night sometimes before bed--I never do the full 90 minutes sequence, eff that, Imma busy whoman)

I might be a terrible source to ask about beginners yoga since I've been practicing since 1995, but I like Baron Baptiste and he gives good instruction. Rodney Yee is good, too and he probably has some good beginner videos. Honestly, I haven't found a bad yoga video. It's more about the sequence of postures that may not be my particular fave, sort of thing. If you're a real beginner, it might also be a good idea to try out a class so you can get a feel for proper form and then you can replicate the rightness of that at home.

Like vijita, I use yoga more to maintain a calm mental state/spiritual effect and less focus on the body. I looove kundalini yoga but it's a bit out there for beginners maybe with the chanting and heavy focus on breathing exercises and meditation. I take classes every Wednesday evening and have a few vids to practice at home, too. If kundalini style interests you, Nivair Singh Kalsa (who's from University of Alaska) is my fave. I also enjoy the Carol Carlson video and Gurmukh.

Ravi Singh and Ana Bret videos are especially good for beginners in the kundalini style as they tend to break their vids down into twenty minute segments and they're not as physically challenging as some of the others (but still challenging enough for someone more experienced to enjoy them.)

Good luck! I think yoga is the most amazing thing ever, pretty much, and definitely one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Yoga and going back to school and becoming vegan are my three life changing wonderous events, the kind of gifts that keep on giving.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:41 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Oh yeah! Baron Baptiste! I was trying to remember his name, my mom always just calls him Niles because he reminds her of Niles from Frasier, so that's stuck in my head. He has a great series of videos that starts at a very basic level.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:31 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Eoin Finn has a lot of videos, including a named box set ("Blissology") that has different routines for different levels and time commitments. I really want that box seyt, can you tell? It's available online here thru lululemon and in some lululemon stores, and it is consistently sold out, which tells me it's good. Also, very reasonably priced for many DVDs at $50. Believe it or not, I also like Susan Powters most current yoga exercise DVDs as well!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:50 pm 
Semen Strong

Anyone like this: http://www.amazon.com/Rodney-Yees-Yoga- ... 808&sr=8-1

i loved my prenatal yoga and def think I'd like to continue building a practice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:28 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

Wai Lana is probably the most gentle yoga I've done.

Didn't like the Jivamukti DVD at all, Shiva Rea is OK but I hate the DVD interface. For a good workout the best DVD I've found so far is actually the Bob Harper one. http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Harper-Warrio ... B00429C1VQ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:30 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I have The Perfect Yoga Workout, and I really love it. I only ever do the fat-burning one. It's relaxing, effective, and simple enough for beginners. I feel incredible after I do it.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:56 am 
WELFARIST!

1strangegirlbygolly! wrote:
Eoin Finn has a lot of videos, including a named box set ("Blissology") that has different routines for different levels and time commitments. I really want that box seyt, can you tell? It's available online here thru lululemon and in some lululemon stores, and it is consistently sold out, which tells me it's good. Also, very reasonably priced for many DVDs at $50. Believe it or not, I also like Susan Powters most current yoga exercise DVDs as well!

I have his Yoga For Happiness DVDs and like them. There's a nice variety of routines for different lengths of practice (like from 30 minutes right up to a full 90). I think he was developing his Blissology idea when he made the Yoga For Happiness DVDs as he says "blissology" a time or two on the Yoga for Happiness DVDs.

For anyone rolling their eyes at Finn's "blissology" or that he calls himself a "blissologist", I sense he's pretty tongue-in-cheek and playful about using the term. It's not like he's this solemn guru type, I think he's got a sense of humor and he's having fun with it. But basically, he's developed some sequences of postures that help promote an elated feeling (I find that Ashtanga style in particular is good for producing that post-workout elated yogi feeling).

I like Finn's instruction and he reminds you not to do more than you are able to and repeats this at the right time but I feel like, at least from his Yoga for Happiness videos, you need to have some familiarity with a basic ashtanga practice to follow along as he will go through the first sun salutation slowly and then picks up the pace and takes you through a basic ashtanga routine (starting with sun salutations with variations, moving through warrier poses and then some other standing and sitting stretches, depending on the length of practice you choose) and can move quickly once he gets going. I like him though. His routines are good and he's got this silly sense of humor that to me is all right.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:05 pm 

I have Yoga for Happiness too. I liked it at first and even though I can see where you are coming from with him being tongue-in-cheek, he does get on my nerves a little bit. I took a real class with him in Vancouver and I just didn't feel all that comfortable with his dialogue. To each his/her own though-luckily there are plenty of teachers out there!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:34 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, Eoin Finn's instructional dialogue style isn't for everyone, in fact, it isn't for me, either, but it doesn't get in the way of things for me. But when he says stuff like "this should feel like someone's just licked whipped cream off you," or "this should feel smooth as a Sade love song," you know, his analogies don't make much sense in the context of practice. I guess he tries to be artful but LAWLZ. Anyhoo, he's aight.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:57 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Thessaly wrote:
Didn't like the Jivamukti DVD at all

I really like my Jivamukti DVDs, I have all three. I think you have to have done quite a bit of yoga before you do them though, there's absolutely no guidance in regards to form. I like that the style is spiritual, it's not about the exercise.

I also have Rodney Yee's strength-building yoga and another called Yoga for Urban Living. My favourites are the Jivamukti ones but I can understand why some people don't like them, for me they're really a supplement to going to class and if I can't do the posture safely I just go to where I am comfortable, like I do in class.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:12 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I love the Namaste tv series, and I have it on DVD. It's beautiful and calming, and great for beginners with a few intermediate/advanced poses optional if you're a seasoned yogi.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:06 pm 
Human Gravy

Jigglypuff wrote:
I have The Perfect Yoga Workout, and I really love it. I only ever do the fat-burning one. It's relaxing, effective, and simple enough for beginners. I feel incredible after I do it.

I agree. I really like Sarah Ivanhoe. I also have her Yoga Body Makeover Series, which is like 6 20-minute workouts that focus on specific areas. You can do them separate or do a few together. While the workout is good and I like her instruction, I don't like the fact that there is a brief intro before each short workout and there is no relaxation, which I would like to have especially after stringing 3 or 4 of the short workouts together. For something at the end of a stressful day, I really enjoy her Crunch Candlelight yoga (on Netflix).