All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Half Marathon Training Support Group
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:27 pm 
Kale Wreath

How did I miss this?! Count me in :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:14 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just signed up for the Lincoln Presidential Half Marathon. I've never run such an early-spring race, so hopefully the weather cooperates!
http://runabe.srrc.net/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:09 am 
WRETCHED

This isn't for me but its for my husband.

My husband runs 1-2 miles every morning with the dogs (less on colder days). He decided he wants to do a 5k which he is doing this weekend. He has been running 3-4 miles/5x week for the last 2 weeks. He wants to do a half marathon at the end of march. I told him he has to step up his game a bit. He needs a qualifying time of 31 minutes in a 5k which he doesn't think will be a problem.

I've looked up training plans for him but I'm worried he is going to get injured since he hasn't run more than 4 miles... ever. Anything you guys could tell me that you think would be useful? I think it is kind of crazy to start training for a half marathon with 2 months notice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:41 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

linanil wrote:

My husband runs 1-2 miles every morning with the dogs (less on colder days). He decided he wants to do a 5k which he is doing this weekend. He has been running 3-4 miles/5x week for the last 2 weeks. He wants to do a half marathon at the end of march. I told him he has to step up his game a bit. He needs a qualifying time of 31 minutes in a 5k which he doesn't think will be a problem.

I've looked up training plans for him but I'm worried he is going to get injured since he hasn't run more than 4 miles... ever. Anything you guys could tell me that you think would be useful? I think it is kind of crazy to start training for a half marathon with 2 months notice.

I don't think it's too short... he has just over 2 months? Sounds like he's in pretty good shape if he runs 5 days a week.
I've always used halhigdon.com for my training schedules. They have you running 3-4 days, with cross-training, strength, etc. If I were your husband, I would either follow the 15-K program (8 weeks) or the Half-Marathon (12 weeks) and count backward and start there.
Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:37 pm 
WRETCHED

kdub wrote:
linanil wrote:

I don't think it's too short... he has just over 2 months? Sounds like he's in pretty good shape if he runs 5 days a week.
I've always used halhigdon.com for my training schedules. They have you running 3-4 days, with cross-training, strength, etc. If I were your husband, I would either follow the 15-K program (8 weeks) or the Half-Marathon (12 weeks) and count backward and start there.
Hope that helps!

Thanks! I feel better, I am usually the 'stupid' one in terms of doing things that might hurt myself, he is usually overly cautious. I will look at the 15k program for him.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:00 am 
WRETCHED

I'm back to report - I registered my husband for the National marathon/half marathon (he is doing the half). He had to do a qualifying race which he did yesterday and now he is good to go. Unfortunately, I won't be able to be there as I have school but there are 15k participants (!). I'm a little concerned because how do they manage people's stuff for that size of a race? If I was there, I could carry his things for him but I won't be able to.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:59 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

linanil wrote:
Unfortunately, I won't be able to be there as I have school but there are 15k participants (!). I'm a little concerned because how do they manage people's stuff for that size of a race? If I was there, I could carry his things for him but I won't be able to.

Hmmm... how do you mean, manage people's stuff? The drop bag for sweats...?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

dandykins wrote:
linanil wrote:
Unfortunately, I won't be able to be there as I have school but there are 15k participants (!). I'm a little concerned because how do they manage people's stuff for that size of a race? If I was there, I could carry his things for him but I won't be able to.

I would guess for a race that size they'll have a bag check. When he picks up his registration he'll get a bag, write his number on it really big, check it the morning of the race near the start line, and it will magically appear near the finish line! You can probably check the website and see if it's an option.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:48 pm 
WRETCHED

kdub wrote:
dandykins wrote:
linanil wrote:

I would guess for a race that size they'll have a bag check. When he picks up his registration he'll get a bag, write his number on it really big, check it the morning of the race near the start line, and it will magically appear near the finish line! You can probably check the website and see if it's an option.

I did find something on the website. I was wondering about things like car keys. We've only been in smaller races where it is kind of 'put your bag here' type thing. They do have a bag check though although we might try to see about having him run with his car key & metrocard.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:09 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

So... I'm doing the Manhattan Half this Saturday. Wish me luck!
Any other NYC runners here? Training has been fun and regardless of how I do on Saturday, I'm definitely signing up for more of the NYRR Half Marathons in other boroughs this year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

How is everyone doing? Anything else planned?

Linanil- How'd your husband do?

I'm running my half the first weekend in April. I was kind of slacking on my training, but last weekend I went for a 7ish mile run and today went 11 miles and felt great. Now I'm getting excited that I might actually run a new best time!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:37 pm 
Chip Strong

I am signed up for a 1/2 for the beginning of July. I'm focusing on a PB for this race and am really going to ramp up my training. I'm really excited!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:43 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm doing the Bluenose half May 22. http://www.bluenosemarathon.com/en/
I ran it 4 years ago in just over 2 hours, and trained for it two years ago (but didn't run it).

My running is so much better now, and I have been running for over ten years. I am planning to run it in 1 hr 45 min. Oh, and I am 45.

There is also a 5K along the harbour in two weeks that I might do. I have never been much into racing but I want to try some more this year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:36 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I ran the Lincoln Memorial Half Marathon yesterday in 2:16, which is a PR by almost 15 minutes! It felt great and the best part is the finisher medal is fashioned like a giant penny and I got a picture with a Lincoln impersonator. Fun all around!

(The worst part: the finish line food was oranges, bananas... chili, biscuits and gravy, two types of jamba juice-- one with sherbert, one with yogurt. BOOO!)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:56 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I'm running my first half-marathon-ish race in less than 2 weeks - a 25K (15.5 miles). Longest race to date was a 10K in March. I just did my last long training run a couple days ago, 13 miles. Running a 5K race this weekend as a "rest" run, then the big race the following weekend.

I'm super-slow... my 5K race pace is just under 11:00/mi, but my long-run average pace ends up being around 12:00/mi. It's gonna be a long one, and I'm prepared to be the near-last finisher (if not the last one in!) - but it's the biggest challenge I've ever taken on in my life, and I'm ready for it! :)

So - even though the race isn't 13.1, can I still get the awesome 13.1 bumper sticker to put on my car? I mean, I'll be racing farther than 13.1 - so that's OK, right? Or does that break the karmic rules of racing?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:14 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I think if you run farther than 13.1 you are entitled to the bumper sticker - it would be kinda silly not to. Who would argue (doofuses).

And who cares about how fast you run? You're doing great, epicorganic! You may be near to last on race day, but most people will never make it to the finish line, ever.

Have you read anything by the penguin at Runner's World?: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7 ... -0,00.html