| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Babysteps Progress Thread
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:38 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Day 2 on the spin bike! Today, I cycled for a little over 30 minutes!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Today I increased my weights because they've been getting too easy. Yay! The chest press was really hard though, I guess because the machine goes straight from 16kg (which I was doing) to 23kg (which I tried today). That was kind of annoying.

Also while I was supposed to be working I went through my Outlook calendar and marked all the days when I'll be doing my normal workouts and my Couch to 5K runs. Huzzah for organisation.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:10 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Last night I did some kettlebell swings, crunches and push ups. This afternoon I spent around 25 "ish" minutes in the bike.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:40 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I cycled to my parents' house the other day! First time I've been on a bike for probably six months. (I used to cycle regularly, but then I got hit by a car a few years ago and lost my confidence.)

I'm looking forward to being fit AND getting around more easily. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:57 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm trying to exercise more too, and I think a baby steps thread is great, but could it continue without people talking about how they want to be size 4s/6s, and how many/few pounds they weight/wish they weighed (there's a lot of this on page 1), as well as hating themselves for their flabby arms? It's really disturbing to read.

For me, I did 2 hours of vinyasa yoga yesterday, and am vowing to do an exercise video with weight work today.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:01 am 
Discovered unobtainium

molasses jane wrote:
I'm trying to exercise more too, and I think a baby steps thread is great, but could it continue without people talking about how they want to be size 4s/6s, and how many/few pounds they weight/wish they weighed (there's a lot of this on page 1), as well as hating themselves for their flabby arms? It's really disturbing to read.

For me, I did 2 hours of vinyasa yoga yesterday, and am vowing to do an exercise video with weight work today.

I believe I also stated my goals are based on the ideal guidelines I established with my doctors. I need to fit back into my pre-surgery clothes and get back to where I need to be for my health. Sorry if all of that is offensive.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:17 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

molasses jane wrote:

Why would that be disturbing to you? Everyone has things that they dislike about their bodies and things they wish and want to change. If someone has a goal to be a certain size please do not make them feel bad for it. We are all supportive here and none of us have unrealistic goals or ideas. If someone started talking about starving themselves to be a size 4 then I would be worried, but other than that this is a free place for us to discuss what we are trying to achieve. We should be able to say how we are honestly feeling about that. Also I think you might be taking the sarcasm and banter between us a little too seriously. I for one do not hate myself and never have. I hate my flabby arms, but they are a part of me and if that is the end result for me after I meet my goals then so be it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:50 pm 

GraciaKai wrote:
molasses jane wrote:

Why would that be disturbing to you? Everyone has things that they dislike about their bodies and things they wish and want to change. If someone has a goal to be a certain size please do not make them feel bad for it. We are all supportive here and none of us have unrealistic goals or ideas. If someone started talking about starving themselves to be a size 4 then I would be worried, but other than that this is a free place for us to discuss what we are trying to achieve. We should be able to say how we are honestly feeling about that. Also I think you might be taking the sarcasm and banter between us a little too seriously. I for one do not hate myself and never have. I hate my flabby arms, but they are a part of me and if that is the end result for me after I meet my goals then so be it.

I'm not trying to be a drag or disrupt this thread, but I find some of the language on the first page veering into body hating, which at least in the weight loss room is considered to be potentially triggering, and to me it reads that way here too. But mostly I'm not a fan of the "so-and-so is this tall and weighs this many pounds", and "my skinny jeans are this size" talk--I think it is inherently triggering to many, many people, especially in an exercise thread that discusses weight loss.

I am not trying to take this too seriously or crash the party of this thread. Like I said, I love the idea for this thread, but I worry when it gets into 'size 4, size 6' territory.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:16 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

MJ this thread was a follow-up to one that was on the old boards. Lava and I are familiar with each other as are most of the people here.We feel comfortable speaking freely with each other and having a good laugh. I just re-read this thread to make sure there was nothing said about bad habits or eating disorders. And I don't think there is.

I think a forum about exercise and a thread about baby steps is the perfect place for people to discuss their goals, bodies, and progress. Every person is going to shoot for something different. It may be a certain size, or weight, or piece of clothing. Or it may be just the way they look and feel. Overall, I don't think you should be concerned about any of us and if the conversation we are having triggers you, then I apologize but maybe this is not the right thread for you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:51 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The reason I started the thread was because I have been trying to regain my health after my surgery in May. 6 months of inactivity and too many pity cookies resulted in me enduing up with 15 lbs plopped on my stomach. I don't feel healthy and just "accepting" this new size isnt going to do me any favors, and I also have zero clothes that fit. I started exercising, and yes, I do need to fit back in my own, original clothes and I have several sizes to go for that to happen. I apologize if stating my size goals is seen as triggering, but I am tracking my progress through fitting back into the clothes I wore for years before my surgeries.

Again, nothing in this thread was meant to be triggering or derogatory; if so, perhaps a mod ought to just lock it. I have been through drastic weightless myself and dealt with eating disorders. I certainly have no desire to get involved with making anybody else feel bad.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:08 pm 

Thanks for your replies LW and GK--listen, as I said, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. And I was on the old boards too for three+ years, so I'm not a newbie trying to change the rules. And it's not a matter of myself feeling attacked or triggered--I just was wary of part of this thread involving so many specific numbers of height and weight, as I know that is a problem for a lot of people, and I find it distracting and uncomfortable. I'd love to check in about exercise, just not specific numbers. Maybe I'm wrong here, and no one else seems to be chiming in, so if I'm an island of one I accept that. But I wanted to engage in the conversation. We're all working for the same thing--better health, community, and conversation, I simply felt compelled to engage in the discussion and state my preferences and concerns.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

molasses jane wrote:
Thanks for your replies LW and GK--listen, as I said, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. And I was on the old boards too for three+ years, so I'm not a newbie trying to change the rules. And it's not a matter of myself feeling attacked or triggered--I just was wary of part of this thread involving so many specific numbers of height and weight, as I know that is a problem for a lot of people, and I find it distracting and uncomfortable. I'd love to check in about exercise, just not specific numbers. Maybe I'm wrong here, and no one else seems to be chiming in, so if I'm an island of one I accept that. But I wanted to engage in the conversation. We're all working for the same thing--better health, community, and conversation, I simply felt compelled to engage in the discussion and state my preferences and concerns.

That's fine, but I think that if you look back, after many of us posted about our goals ( mine being to regain a healthy weight and activity after back surgery), almost all of the posts have been about exercise accomplishments. Again, I'm sorry that you felt uncomfortable. I find numbers help me track my progress, although certainly people can go overboard. I am actually not sure how to quantify my weight loss efforts without using measurements, or weight, or clothing sizes, which is not to say that I dwell on them.

At any rate, I'm done with the elliptical. For the past two weeks, my leg has been becoming progressively number again and this mor ing, I woke up with a totally numb foot. I was terrified of start exercise, and I guess, with reason. I knew there was a huge likelihood of another disk going, but I didn't expect it this soon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:25 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

After doing no organised form of exercise for a long., long time, I started line dancing last autumn. It's not exactly intense, but it's so much fun I've stuck with it. I think for me it's good that there's a new dance every week, so if I'm tempted to stay home I know it will be harder and less fun next week.

I want to increase my exercise, but I'm really scared of trying to do too much and not sticking with it. Yesterday, I went to water aerobics for the first time, and it was fun enough (not as fun as dancing of course), and felt like a great workout. I'm thinking I'll add one water aerobics class a week so I'm working out twice each week this autumn, and then I'm thinking of taking up running in January. One thing at a time, though...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:23 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I've been having some health issues for the last year which have culminated in hip/knee pain so bad that I haven't been able to exercise at all since about mid May. I was at a size I was totally happy / comfortable with then but I've now put on about 15- 20lbs (I think, I don't weigh myself but there's a huge difference in how my clothes fit...haha, I guess don't fit would be more apt wording!) in the last 5 months.

I'm going to go to the gym tomorrow morning to talk to someone about how to exercise with these issues. Not being able to is bumming me out & there must be something I can do without hurting myself which results in not really being able to walk / stand the next day. I wish I could swim but thanks to my new & planned tattoos that's not gonna be an option 'till next summer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:14 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i wonder how something like an elliptical might feel on your hips. i know when i was having knee issues and started running i would alternate runs with elliptical to try to cut down on impact, and it would make my butt really sore (?) but my joints felt like they were on vacation.
also, maybe reclining-type stationary bike, or maybe even normal, assuming you have the seat raised to a good level for your knees.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:06 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Thanks Torque, the elliptical's usually my gym machine of choice & my gym has two kinds, the one I usually use (which I guess is kinda like a cross between a stepper and a traditional elliptical) hurts my hip and my knees but I tried the other one today and my knees felt fine and it definitely hurt my hip less. I'm going to try both kinds of bike next time so hopefully they'll hurt my hip even less, I used to only bike at spin class which was definitely too much for my joints!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:41 am 
Hip Goiter

Just perusing and wanted to note that, in any conversation about any topic, it's important to remember that just because something isn't meant to be triggering doesn't mean it isn't.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:49 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I've worked out three times a week this week and last week. For me, this isn't really a baby step, it's a big deal! I've run three times, danced twice and been swimming once. With a bit of planning, I can totally fit three workouts into a normal week, especially since running takes so little time - only an hour from leaving home until I'm showered and in my jammies.