| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Belly dancers?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:17 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Just curious. I started almost a year ago and love it.

Post subject: Re: Belly dancers?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:26 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I took classes for about four years, now I can't fit it into my schedule so I dance at home. I almost took a tribal fusion class this fall but then my school schedule got changed so I couldn't. I like tribal more than middle-eastern, but since it's a new thing around here, there are only a couple advanced classes in the entire city and none of them works for me time-wise. So I'm a little disappointed because I wanted to start dancing with a group again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:36 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Anny wrote:
I took classes for about four years, now I can't fit it into my schedule so I dance at home. I almost took a tribal fusion class this fall but then my school schedule got changed so I couldn't. I like tribal more than middle-eastern, but since it's a new thing around here, there are only a couple advanced classes in the entire city and none of them works for me time-wise. So I'm a little disappointed because I wanted to start dancing with a group again.

Interesting! What's the difference between tribal and middle-eastern belly dancing?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:37 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

I took classes for awhile, but haven't been able to find anywhere to take classes since moving. It's really fun though,and it's a decent workout.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

thisheregiraffe wrote:
Anny wrote:

Interesting! What's the difference between tribal and middle-eastern belly dancing?

As I understand it, Tribal/Tribal Fusion is an American style belly dance. Then, there are the more traditional Egyptian, Turkish and Greek styles. My studio is most closely related to the Egyptian Cabaret. I took a few Tribal classes when I visited Portland.

Also, there is more group dancing in Tribal. Egyptian Cabaret is usually done solo.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:23 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

blizzful wrote:
thisheregiraffe wrote:
Anny wrote:

As I understand it, Tribal/Tribal Fusion is an American style belly dance. Then, there are the more traditional Egyptian, Turkish and Greek styles. My studio is most closely related to the Egyptian Cabaret. I took a few Tribal classes when I visited Portland.

Also, there is more group dancing in Tribal. Egyptian Cabaret is usually done solo.

Yeah, pretty much. Tribal is a modern American style, I took my first class when I lived in the US. There are tons of videos on youtube so you can see the difference. For me tribal has a very different feel to it, I'd say it's more grounded, sometimes a little slower and more focused on isolations and it's much more fun if you dance with a group.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:40 am 
Bathes in Braggs

rachel brice is my hero. long live tribal :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:40 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

i think its awesome :) i suppose i would like to take it up one day.

Bananas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:00 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

i've tried it a few times and i do like it. i keep saying i'll get into it but never do :P it's so fun to watch though!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:10 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm one (dancer's name: Shaheen), but I haven't danced in some years. Specialty is scimitars. I miss it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Finally took my first class and I love it. I can't wait wait for next week. Unfortunately the instructor was only a substitute I hope I like the regular 1 as much.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:43 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've always wanted to take a class but I live in the middle of nowhere! What do they consist of usually? Is it appropriate for chubbier types?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:21 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I took classes two summers ago before my work schedule changed and I couldn't go anymore, but I really loved it and I can still do a lot of the hip roll things, which is fun to break out when I go out dancing with my friends. But of course, now that my schedule's moved around to where I'm free to be able to go, that instructor doesn't offer classes around me anymore.. it's too far of a drive for her. :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:16 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

sarahrose wrote:
I've always wanted to take a class but I live in the middle of nowhere! What do they consist of usually? Is it appropriate for chubbier types?

Sure is. I'm chubby.