| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Protein Powder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:40 pm 
One Trick Dick

Love Child wrote:
I have Plantfusion with vanilla bean flavor at the moment and I love it. Highly recommended.

I'm a cookies n' cream man, myself; Plantfusion is the way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:25 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have a coworker that has like a metric ton of the Arbonne (vegan - its all vegan) chocolate protein powder she keeps in the kitchen. Her family loves it and they stock up on it.

She gave me some for a business trip I took. It was DELISH. I mixed it with water and it was still good. Really high in protein + other vitimans and stuff.

I guess it is expensive, but on par cost wise with Vega, which I cannot stand.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:04 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

DEWDS-
You can MAKE your own protein powder! I made a big quart jar over the summer that's still in my fridge (though almost gone!) and it was
a) way cheaper than store-bought
b) filled with pronounceable things (instead of mysterious chems)
c) tasteless
d) super fast and easy to make (if you have some kind of food processor)

I used this recipe: http://www.thefirstmess.com/2012/01/09/ ... otein-mix/ for inspiration, but made a lot of tweaks to suit my own tastes/what was in my kitchen at the moment (another bonus to making your own).
Mine's made with:
-almonds
-flax
-sesame
-steel cut oats
-1 bunch of kale, dried in the oven.
All run through the food processor, mixed in a bowl and stored in a jar.

I haven't tried to figure out any exact nutritional info on it yet, but I can definitely tell a difference when I use it (three heaping tablespoonsful = fuller for much longer)

((ps- making a big jar for my mom for Christmas!))

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:58 pm 
Hip Goiter

I love the Sunwarrior Raw Chocolate, but I've been alternating with (or using both together; I needs mah protein) Plantfusion vanilla bean. Has anyone noticed that the Plantfusion like...adds volume?? It's the weirdest thing, but after blending it into my green smoothies it seems like another 10 oz of liquid has been added. what the fizzle? I love it but it is kind of crazy.

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've been using the Manitoba Harvest hemp protein powder in my oatmeal (the pro70 one). It's really good as a not very flavorful addin and actually enriches the taste of my oatmeal!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:35 pm 
Nailed to the V

I was eating popcorn the other night and on a whim I mixed 1 T Omega Pumpkin Protein Powder with my nooch and sprinkled on top with the usual mix of Earth Balance and a little onion powder.....it was DELICIOUS!!!! Next time I made it I dripped a little Tahini over the top and that equally as good.

Pumpkin Protein Popcorn -- you heard it here first.

Manitoba Hemp Harvest -- I really like the Hemp Oatmeal combo too except I think I might be allergic to the hemp powder and it give me hay fever symptoms. Sucks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:54 am 
WRETCHED

I found one I liked accidentally, it came from a site called SavingDinner.com but is just a relabeled brand. The brand is Thorne Research and the type is MediPro vegan. It is pretty good, one of my favorite protein powders.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:28 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Has anyone in the UK tried MyProtein vegan blends, pea, hemp or rice protein? I don't know which one to get. The flavoured ones look they've got some grim stuff added and plain ones all have reviews like 'If you can manage not to vomit afterwards, this is GREAT'.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:47 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I take the reflex vegan protein strawberry flavour.
After 2 days I got used to the taste and consistency.
That might be an option for people in the uk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:53 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I'm making my way through a box of the Sunwarrior Warrior Blend (raw I guess) vanilla stuff. I love the texture it gives a smoothie when blended up, kinda... Fluffy. But man do I wish it didn't have stevia in it. I am like a stevia super taster, in a bad way. Ugh hate.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:15 am 
Hail Seitan!

coldandsleepy wrote:
I'm making my way through a box of the Sunwarrior Warrior Blend (raw I guess) vanilla stuff. I love the texture it gives a smoothie when blended up, kinda... Fluffy. But man do I wish it didn't have stevia in it. I am like a stevia super taster, in a bad way. Ugh hate.

the raw flavor version doesnt contain any stevia iirc.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:56 pm 
Huffs Nooch

22 days recently sponsored the vegetarian food for thought podcast. 15% off with the code CCOOKS1. I wish it didn't have stevia (as I simply don't like the taste) but the other ingredients seem reasonable and natural.

http://www.22daysnutrition.com/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:07 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Eric. wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:

It looks like the natural (not raw... all of them are raw) flavor of both the Classic & the Warrior Blend are stevia free, but the vanilla and chocolate all have stevia no matter which formula it is. So maybe next time I'll try the natural flavor since I always mix it with other stuff anyway so don't really care what the flavor is so long as it's not stevia aftertaste of doom.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:48 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

So, many of you know I bisque about the Vega all in one shakes. They are so sweet and gross, but I drink them when I travel.

Well, I tried Phood on my last trip, which is made by Plant Fusion http://www.plantfusion.net/

it was still sweet, but MUCH more palatable than Vega to me. Not quite as sweet. I had the vanilla, and almost liked it (i.e. i didn't gag more than once.) They are the all-in-one shakes like Vega with all the vitamins and stuff.

I also started a strength training regiment, which requires you to drink a shake pretty much right after working out, so I drink them in the car on the way home.

So I tried the Vega Sport. Not bad! Way less sweet than the regular Vega shakes. I might even buy a big one specifically for my after weight-training days at the gym. I don't love it, but I can drink it plain with water right after a workout. And I do like Vega as a company....I would like to give them my business.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

ItsMeKikiP wrote:
Has anyone in the UK tried MyProtein vegan blends, pea, hemp or rice protein? I don't know which one to get. The flavoured ones look they've got some grim stuff added and plain ones all have reviews like 'If you can manage not to vomit afterwards, this is GREAT'.

Actually I just received my order of the vegan blend the other day! I ordered the neutral one though to add it to stuff so I don't think I will ever try it by itself. It doesn't smell too bad so maybe the flavoured types will be okay to eat/drink.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:37 pm 
Hail Seitan!

coldandsleepy wrote:
Eric. wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:

It looks like the natural (not raw... all of them are raw) flavor of both the Classic & the Warrior Blend are stevia free, but the vanilla and chocolate all have stevia no matter which formula it is. So maybe next time I'll try the natural flavor since I always mix it with other stuff anyway so don't really care what the flavor is so long as it's not stevia aftertaste of doom.

yep, meant natural not raw.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:21 pm 
Tofu Pup

I bought some Sunwarrior rice protein in chocolate this month, and I really like it. Kind of surprised me since I've had maybe 4-5 different kinds of protein powder before that I had to throw out, I can't eat/drink something that I find disgusting. I was worried if I had to throw out 1 kg of pricey protein, but I liked it, yay!

I mix the sunwarrior in smoothies, I'm working my way towards less and less added stuff, I don't know if I'll ever be able to have it with only plant milk/ soymilk or water though, haven't tried yet. It would be nice if I could work my way to only water/soymilk+sunwarrior so that I could have an easy snack on the go.
In a breakfast smoothie I use plant milk, frozen banana, blueberries, chia seeds, extra cocoa powder and blend. Today I ditched the berries and that was also delicious. The frozen banana does the trick.
Another one I like is: soy milk, tahin. A littles less sweet than the fruit versions. And peanutbutter is also yummy, but I try to not keep it in the house since I'll eat it by the spoonful....tahin is less risky for me.
In the evening I sometimes make one with strawberries and soy milk

Next month I'll order one more bag of Sunwarrior, I have to find out if it's going to be vanilla or neutral.
I also have hemp but it's only 50% protein aka I need to add way too much imo in order to get protein. I use it sometimes for variation, that's also why I need to buy more protein so it's not only sunwarrior chocolate.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:21 pm 
Married to the wolfman

So I finished my box of Sunwarrior Warrior Blend in Vanilla and went back to see if I could get the original/plain flavor. Not only did the store not have it, they were also out of the vanilla. I dug around through the other options and ended up with a jar of plain NutriBiotic rice protein.

It's not too bad. A bit gritty but tolerable. It tastes like slightly bad nothing, which I find acceptable. The smoothie I made with it was waaaaaaaay thinner than the ones I've been making with the Sunwarrior though, so that's something to get used to I guess.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:47 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Does anybody use spirulina powder? I bought some and man, that stuff is rough. I'm thinking I need to use it sparingly in a real fruit-forward smoothie. I'd be curious if anybody has found a good concoction for toning down the algae-ness of it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:02 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

The one I use - Whole Foods soy protein - has spirulina in it. It's pretty tasty.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:35 am 

ScooterDiva wrote:
The one I use - Whole Foods soy protein - has spirulina in it. It's pretty tasty.

I'm talkin' straight up spirulina powder, but I didn't realize there was powders out there that included it, in case I want to switch to something else but still get the benefits. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:08 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

emmalv wrote:
ScooterDiva wrote:

I'm talkin' straight up spirulina powder, but I didn't realize there was powders out there that included it, in case I want to switch to something else but still get the benefits. Thanks.

Tesco do a chocolate spirulina. It doesn't mix that well, so it's like a really thick chocolate milkshake that has an after taste of soil.

Holland & Barrett Fitshake is hemp with nothing gross in it. Ingredients are just hemp and green tea extract I think. You can get strawberry flavour but obviously that will have something else in it to flavour it. It's fine mixed with water - a bit gritty but doesn't really taste of much.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:23 am 

Actually that hemp/green tea variety sounds pretty good. I'm getting low on my rice protein powder so maybe will get that next...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:27 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

emmalv wrote:
Actually that hemp/green tea variety sounds pretty good. I'm getting low on my rice protein powder so maybe will get that next...

I've just bought another couple of drums of it as it's in the buy one get one half price at the mo :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:56 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Garden for Life - Raw Meal
Tastes like ugh...
But its healthy

Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next