| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Protein Powder
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:03 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I like it well enough straight, and it's rare that I don't add something to doctor up the powder anyway. A banana will mask just about any bad flavor. It's not bad in a smoothie at all.

Interesting that you bring up the recovery aspect. I mostly just use powders as recovery meals after a workout. I don't notice it working any slower, but I haven't used it while doing any real lifting. Back then I was mostly using Vega Sport.

I just finished planning out a strength/conditioning program with a trainer, so I'll let you know :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:18 am 
Hip Goiter

How much protein do you guys try to eat per day and for what type of exercise? I'm finding conflicting info.

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:29 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

RandiJM wrote:
How much protein do you guys try to eat per day and for what type of exercise? I'm finding conflicting info.

As long as you're getting enough calories and eating a variety of foods in your everyday diet, you're probably just fine. You only need extra protein when you're really trying to build muscle as a bodybuilder, endurance athlete, or you need your body to repair tissue and tissue organs. Even then, the extra protein is not the insane amount that a lot of companies would have you believe. It's more about having bio-available protein and other nutrients EXACTLY when your body wants them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:58 pm 
Hip Goiter

Thanks! Right, I assumed the people in this thread were athletes of some sort (at least the frequent posters!). I should have been more specific and asked for people trying to build muscle or repair quickly or who do very intense frequent exercise, what are your general guidelines for protein for x body weight? Thanks!

blog/website
London bakery

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:07 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Hi RandiJM, I shoot for .8 g of protein per lean body mass. I typically don't make it but get really close. I am trying to build muscle, you could say (really I'm cutting for another couple of weeks and then am going to try and eat at maintenance calories and recomp a bit for a few months as I train for a Spartan race). I work out a fair amount and it varies between spin class, running, and hot pilates, but I'd say the consistent backbone of my workouts are weightlifting and bootcamp style classes. I've found that if I don't eat enough protein I feel like crepe and don't recover nearly as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:22 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

RandiJM wrote:
People trying to build muscle or repair quickly or who do very intense frequent exercise, what are your general guidelines for protein for x body weight? Thanks!

Sorry, that was an offensive, generic answer I gave. I like emmalv's answer, but let me answer again by quoting and citing an excerpt from veganbodybuilding.com :

"A standard is 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight for athletes and 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight for bodybuilders and other athletes interested in bulking up and adding mass."

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=article_protein

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

There are two new Vega flavors, exclusive to Whole Foods: Coconut Almond and Mocha.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:42 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Ooh, mocha.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:00 pm 
Tofu Pup

Whole Foods has what I think is a new WF brand plant-based multi-source powder on the shelves. Really good nutrient profile, including 25g of protein per scoop. It's a Vega-sized tub for $40. Cheaper per oz than what I pay for PlantFusion. Anyone tried it? I bought the chocolate but I'm finding it very chalky. Debating whether I'll put up with it for the other upsides.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:16 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

scout wrote:
Whole Foods has what I think is a new WF brand plant-based multi-source powder on the shelves. Really good nutrient profile, including 25g of protein per scoop. It's a Vega-sized tub for $40. Cheaper per oz than what I pay for PlantFusion. Anyone tried it? I bought the chocolate but I'm finding it very chalky. Debating whether I'll put up with it for the other upsides.

any idea what kind of protein it uses? Hemp? Pea?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:58 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Just picked up a tub of Vega protein and greens from costco for $30. Tastes good, 20g per scoop. Multi-source protien, pea/hemp, something else.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:10 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

scout wrote:

I got what I think is supposed to be the WF version of the Vega One Nutritional Shake. I wish there was more protein, so I might look for the other version. I got the dark chocolate flavor, and it's really yummy. I also like that it has a lot of vitamins and random stuff that sounds like a good idea (maca, etc.).

Has anyone tried anything new they like? I also saw that GNC has what looks like a Plant Fusion knock-off. It's more expensive though, so who knows? (I didn't compare nutrition profile.)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:15 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I mostly drink them in the morning after my work out, because I find breakfast hard before work and a smoothie with vega (banana, almond milk, frozen fruit to hide the taste) is a decent way to fill up and get some well rounded nutrients into the body post workout. Otherwise I'm eating fruit loops.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:16 am 
Semen Strong

I just bought the Orgain creamy chocolate fudge and it is really good! Leela loves it as well and it's a great way to use up fruits and vegetables. It was $29.99 at Costco for the 2.74lb tub.

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:19 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Tofulish, Does the Orgain contain Stevia or some other "natural" sweetener?

I'm trying to find a replacement for my whole foods soy protein powder with spirulina - it's not longer made, or at least carried by my store. I'm looking for a powder that tastes really good in smoothies and I'm not a fan of stevia or other "natural" sweeteners.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:22 pm 
Semen Strong

If I remember correctly it is Erythritol!

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:39 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

My Kroger accidentally ordered some Vega, kept it on the shelf for like a week and then clearanced it out. So I got two tubs of the protein and greens for $12. I have to water it down (it says mix with one cup of almond milk or water, I do a cup of almond milk + water + ice) or else the stevia is too strong, but that way it's alright.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:44 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Holy crepe buckets, I bought a powder on a wim because it said Vegan on the lable and omg it's delicious. Taste like a chocolate bar. It's called Kaizen Vegan Protein Natural Dark Chocolate(I think I got it at winners or walmart? or Super store? its been sitting on my fridge for months).

Gluten/Soy Free but it is sweetened with Stevia, which is weird because I am not getting a super over the top chemically aftertaste I usually do with stevia (although I hate protein powders so I did make a spinach/banana blueberry smoothie to hide it in). The packaging is a little weird and it doesn't have instructions that I can find for use just nutrition per scoop (40g) which ironically it doesn't seem to have a scoop in there so I took one out of my VEGA container. It totes complete amino acid profile from vegan sources and it has dutch cocoa powder in it.
Quote:
Plant Protein Blend (Pea protein, potato protein, Chia Seed Protein, Hemp seed Protein, organic sprouted whole grain brown rice protein, quinoa protein), Erythritol, natural chocolate flavour, inulin, natural dutch cocoa powder, organic stevia leaf extract

So maybe because its the last ingredient? 1 scoop has 340 mg of sodium, 5 g of fibre, 25 g of protein, 4% Canadian RDA calcium and 60% RDA Canada Iron and it is an insiginificant source of vitamins A and C. The container is also compost able which is neat.

Has anyone else tried this?
It says separation can occur/ packaged by weight.. Guessing I should shake it? before use?

The powder seems much lighter then vega and less clumpy. I usually put all my fruit/veggies, then Vega then almond milk to avoid vega clumping all up in the bottom/corners. But with this stuff it just kinda sat on top of everything and then blended instantly. So tomorrow I might try putting it in the middle. I was kinda worried it would smoke cloud into the top.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:55 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

It's really expensive, but it turns out the vegan chocolate shakeology is really good, even just mixed with water. go figure!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:44 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Has anyone used the Vega Sport Recovery Protein in chocolate flavour? Is it super gross tasting? Okayish?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

JP - I think that one is really tasty! I think it's one of my favorites, taste-wise.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:59 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks, Amey! I've been using the berry one for a couple of years and am thinking of branching out. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:47 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Tofulish wrote:
I just bought the Orgain creamy chocolate fudge and it is really good! Leela loves it as well and it's a great way to use up fruits and vegetables. It was $29.99 at Costco for the 2.74lb tub.

Costco.com also sells vanilla Orgain. It's my favorite protein powder. I've been making pumpkin smoothies for breakfast with it almost every day recently.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:21 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

The first time I had chocolate caramel Phood (oh that awful name) I thought it was great so I bought a tub. It's less great than I thought. Good, but not amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:21 am 
***LIES!!!***

zinnia wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Costco.com also sells vanilla Orgain. It's my favorite protein powder. I've been making pumpkin smoothies for breakfast with it almost every day recently.

How do you make your pumpkin smoothies?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next