| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Protein Powder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:01 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I recently tried a sample of Plant Fusion cookies and cream. I don't know why I expected it to taste like cookies and cream. . . of course it does not. Though it's not the most horrible drink in the world blended with soy milk, a small banana, and some ice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:27 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

emeraldcityvegan wrote:
Have any of you guys used Shakeology? I guess it's more of a meal replacement/health shake than a straight protein powder but I was just curious!

I really want to try it but I can't afford it. The reviews for it look good. For now I'm still just stealing my husband's Vega One powder. I wasn't down with the berry smoothie flavor he picked up last time though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:58 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Well, after using Plant Fusion for a couple of months, I've gone back to Vega, and I have to say, I notice a difference. Vega is better, and I definitely recover faster when using Vega as opposed to Plant Fusion. I have no idea why that is, but with the amount of training I do, it's noticeable, which is too bad, because Plant Fusion is so much cheaper!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:54 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Which vega do you use?

A work friend has been using shakeology and already cancelled because she felt it was ineffective.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:48 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I use the Vega Sport Recovery Protein (berry flavor).

I imagine the difference I've noticed might not be an issue with people who work out less than me. I ride between 12 and 15 hours per week, and often have intense workouts and/or races back to back (to back), so I really notice any difference in recovery, perhaps more than someone on a less intensive schedule might?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:14 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hey Jordan,

I'm with you. I've been trying Plant Fusion but I feel better after Vega Protein. Plus, and this is a silly complaint, but every time you pour in a scoop of Plant Fusion into the blender you get a big cloud of protein dust all over the counter. It just vaporizes or something.

DLD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:34 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

DLD wrote:
Hey Jordan,

I'm with you. I've been trying Plant Fusion but I feel better after Vega Protein. Plus, and this is a silly complaint, but every time you pour in a scoop of Plant Fusion into the blender you get a big cloud of protein dust all over the counter. It just vaporizes or something.

DLD

Ha so true! And don't dump it in while under the AC vent, that's all I have to add....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:25 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

emmalv wrote:
DLD wrote:
Hey Jordan,

DLD

Ha so true! And don't dump it in while under the AC vent, that's all I have to add....

Yes!

Also, hi, DLD!

Also also, I realize my post above may have sounded snooty (I work out SOOOO HARD you guys), which wasn't my intention. I mostly just meant that if you're a normal person who works out a normal amount, the added benefit from something like Vega might not be noticeable, whereas if you're a nut job who works out really hard, it might be more apparent.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:49 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

JP, I didn't take it that way (for what its worth). I think people who are active and work out realize that there is indeed a certain, more demanding performance level that generally comes with Training For Something.

That said, to add to the Plant Fusion v Vega comparative, I used the Vega (recovery formula, vanilla) and just switched this week to the Plant Fusion because of $$. I don't know if my workouts qualify for Training For Something status, but I do work out pretty hard (heavy weights, bootcamp classes, spin/running) and put in more hours than a "normal person", to borrow from JP above. I have definitely noticed a recovery difference so far. And I think I like the Vega slightly more taste-wise, but Plant Fusion is still pretty good compared to a lot of others I've tried.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:00 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hi Jordan!
I can't imagine you being snooty. A cutie for sure. Maybe a little moody I dunno.
Perhaps fruity. A fan of Hootie? Ok I'm done.
I did my 618th Body Beast workout this morning,
73rd day in a row workout. Nut jobs need their protein!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:25 pm 

jordanpattern: I didn't take it that way at all! I was actually going to thank you because I'm going to stick with my Plant Fusion until I get back to a more intense level. I'm very, very slowly starting back up after nearly a year of lying around feeling sorry about myself, so I definitely know I'm not at the same level as someone who trains like you do! I prefer the taste and how well Plant Fusion mixes, but if/when I do get to a point where I need to start thinking more about food as fuel and recovery and whatnot, I'm going to check out the Vega.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:01 pm 
Hip Goiter

Is Vega noticeably better than Sunwarrior, does anyone know? I usually alternate between Plantfusion and Sunwarrior (sometimes mixing them) and I think I recover better with Sunwarrior, but if Vega is better than that I want to try it! I've tried the 1-use packs but I couldn't really tell with just one day.

Side note, I ran out of ALL my powders on Friday so it's been three days of just fruit and vegetables in my smoothies and holy shiitake I can really feel a difference. Why am I so lazy about restocking!!!! I can barely walk!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:09 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hi Randi!

I'm guessing that it's subjective. Unless there's a big difference in the amino profiles of powders, you know where some have more of one thing than another, then I'd go with whatever makes you feel better. Like Jordan, I've tried a bunch and I felt way better with the Vega than anything else. It's too bad it's so expensive. I always have a smoothie first thing in the morning, and I mix Vega One with the Protein powder so I get 40g's of protein, and that's what makes me feel best. I have another one a couple hours after workout. And I have the pre-workout energizer and the post-workout recovery, so all told I have six scoops of something vega every day. I should buy some equity in the place....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:00 pm 

Or at least sign an endorsement deal, DLD!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:00 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

ndpittman wrote:
Or at least sign an endorsement deal, DLD!

Exactly, right? I'm all set for the ad agency to come to my house and film me doing pull-ups in my Vega-fueled mania and then broadcast it to...well... that's where we have a little problem. Maybe someone out there wants to watch an old vegan fart working out, but they haven't found her. Or, in my luck, him. Sigh.

I did get offered a Vega hoodie once. Our local store, Rainbow, gives you a discount on supplements, and they consider Vega a supplement (thank you!), so I buy it by the box full, and had something like $400 worth in my cart and this lovely lady who turns out to be the local Vega rep offered to give me a Vega hoodie. Because, being in my late 40's, what I really look most fetching in is a hoodie.

Maybe one day I'll get a coupon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:34 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I don't really do protein powders, but I do make my own post workout, quick snack with natural papain enzymes and chug a ton of water with it... 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin seeds, 1 Tablespoon walnut pieces, 1 Tablespoon rolled oats (ground to a fine powder), couple dashes dried-ground papaya seeds (for enzymes), dash cayenne, and a dash of liquid aminos. It's sorta of a crunchy, salty, soft bar.

Every other ingredient offsets the acidity of the cayenne to make the whole thing kind of alkaline. I know you're supposed to go alkaline after a workout.

This is just what I sorta came up with on my own. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Happy,

Everything I've read says for post-workout you want something with a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein. The little bit of protein aids in glycogen synthesis and regeneration in your muscles. You definitely want to be alkaline, to counter-act the lactic acid that builds up during exercise. The carbs should be a blend of simple and complex. You don't want any fiber as that slows down digestion.

I'm no expert but your blend sounds pretty good to me, with the aminos giving you a little protein and the rest fairly simple carbs. You don't want fat though, so so you might be overdoing it with the nuts. I might add in some fruit juice, maybe some lemons and limes?

DLD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:37 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Thank you. Nix the nuts, add some juice.

At some point I'll stop being so poor and be able to afford something better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8