| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: gentle exercise during recovery
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:37 pm 
Inflexitarian

I'm recovering from surgery and looking for ways to stay active and not turn into a sloth. What are some gentle exercises you recommend, or ways to get your heart moving that don't require too much activity? Normally I hike, bike, walk, and practice yoga.

I can't swim yet as I can't submerge my surgery incision cite, but when I can I'm thinking about this, though am pretty new to swimming as anything other than beach recreation.

Post subject: Re: gentle exercise during recovery
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You might think me mad but have you tried looking for something like sit and be fit exercises? They use them for people in wheelchairs and the elderly. (I know...)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:15 pm 
Saggy Butt

With my first surgery, at my follow-up appointment a little over a week later, I was released to exercise as long as I wasn't lifting weights. I went to my women-only bootcamp class (http://www.beautyhunters.org/) two weeks after surgery. I'd been feeling fine at that point, but when I started exercising, my scar got SO itchy. Not just kind of itchy as a sign that it's healing, but so unbearably itchy that I wanted to claw my skin off. This time I said I would wait three weeks before I started exercising again, but my doctor took my Synthroid away at about the two week mark, so....yeah, I haven't exercised in over a month.

This is to say I don't really have any advice, except that I think you should go on walks and otherwise take it easy for a couple of more weeks, and then you will be able to go back to your regular exercise routine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:12 pm 
Inflexitarian

Tzippy wrote:
With my first surgery, at my follow-up appointment a little over a week later, I was released to exercise as long as I wasn't lifting weights. I went to my women-only bootcamp class (http://www.beautyhunters.org/) two weeks after surgery. I'd been feeling fine at that point, but when I started exercising, my scar got SO itchy. Not just kind of itchy as a sign that it's healing, but so unbearably itchy that I wanted to claw my skin off. This time I said I would wait three weeks before I started exercising again, but my doctor took my Synthroid away at about the two week mark, so....yeah, I haven't exercised in over a month.

This is to say I don't really have any advice, except that I think you should go on walks and otherwise take it easy for a couple of more weeks, and then you will be able to go back to your regular exercise routine.

Thank you Vantine and Tzippy!

Tzippy, I feel so dizzy still. Did you feel that? When I go on a walk of more than a few blocks I get all sweaty and clammy and light headed. I'm still in a fair amount of pain, and still taking some percocet. I'm eager to move beyond this and start moving again since I feel like a potato.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:42 pm 
Saggy Butt

I would guess that it's probably the Percocet causing the dizziness. I stopped taking it after a few days and switched to extra-strength Tylenol, but every person is different when it comes to pain management.