| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2067 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 83  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:17 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

anyone making it to philly for the Single Speed Cyclocross Word Championships(SSCXWC13)??

https://www.bikereg.com/Net/sscxwc2013philly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:01 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I wish! That seems like a super fun time, but I think I'm heading back to NorCal for a race in December, and that will blow my traveling and bike riding budget. :(

Race report! I did my second cross crusade race last weekend, and it was awesome! The fields are so big here that they line you up according to the last digit of your race number, rotating the numbers each week. Unfortunately, I've been lined up at the back for both races so far. The race this last weekend, the race started and finished in the middle of a big hill. This worked out well for me, since I was able to stomp up super fast right at the beginning and pass about 20 girls before getting stuck in the conga line that ensued once we hit singletrack. From there, I was stuck and unable to pass for quite a while until the field stretched out. Once that happened, I was able to move up steadily. The hill was awesome and HUGE for a cross race (2 - 2:30 climb). The one thing I struggled with was there were sections of peanut butter mud that were faster to run than ride, so I ran them, but then there would be sections of 20 to 40 feet that were rideable, but then you'd have to dismount again, either for a runup, or more mud, or the "natural barrier"/downed tree. I ended up running through the rideable stuff most times, since it seemed faster, particularly when there was anyone else around to potentially get in your way, but man, it was tiring! It ended up that I'd run 150 or 200 yards, which was tough. Other than that, I did well, and I finished 12 out of 45, which I'm pleased with. I think that if I had been nearer the front to start, I could have done top 5. Super fun race, and a major asparagus kicker!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:23 pm 

Sweet! That’s a wild way to start people. Is that only in the lower cats or for everyone? Sounds like you are getting more use to the amount of people and courses up there. Whens the next race in that series? BTW id love to make it up there for a race some time, even if its just to spectate.

Last weekend I was able to get a top 5 in the 2/3/4 race and finally get some Cat1 upgrade points. Only 18 more to go :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:41 am 

dead in here...

videos from last weekend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:57 pm 

Finally got to take in some of the NW cross scene this weekend at SSCXWC13!
Everyone i met from PDX/Seattle/Vancouver/Hodala Crew were super nice and partied pretty hard.
Goal in the next 2 years is to make it up for a race or two.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:43 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

First team ride of the season today. I feel slow and out of shape, but man, it feels good to ride for more than 20 miles. I used bar mitts, which look SO derpy, but I think they're going to make training outside in the coming months possible for me, so AYHSMB.

Those races all look rad, Eric!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:37 pm 

those bar mitts are nice in therory, but yah they make you look like 'that person' :) whats the weather up there like? last i saw it was colder than here.

SSCXWC14 is in KY next year. i think im planning on making the trip as Worlds this year was amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:00 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

The bar mitts look terrible, but I don't care. I'd rather look like a crazy Fred and get to ride outside than look pro on the trainer for the next several months.

It's usually in the mid 40s here. It was in the 20s for about a week, though, and that was terrible. I know 40s isn't all that cold, but I have terrible circulation, and I haven't found anything that keeps my hands warm for more than about 15 minutes other than the bar mitts. Base miles, here I come!

I'm thinking about SSCXWC in KY as well. I've never been there, and that might be a fun time to go...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:27 am 

id take cold over semi-cold and wet though. i dont have good gear for that at all yet.

KY is actually pretty sweet. we drove down for Worlds last year and i was a bit surprised of how nice things had gotten since I was through there a while back. they even had a slew of good food. i was pretty impressed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:56 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Nice!

Put in 240 miles last week. Not repeating it this week, but I should be above 150. Wooooooo!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:27 pm 

sweet. im jealous :) hows the weather up in the NW? its been a bit nuts down here this last week or so.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:05 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Was out on team skills ride today, heading out to the spot where we were going to do drills. There were 9 or 10 of us in a double paceline, going at an okay clip, but not blistering fast. All of a sudden, some dude with a boner stem Cervelo, fancy deep-dish carbon wheels, and what looked like sweatpants comes huffing and puffing around us. He gets about 40 feet in front of us and then runs out of juice. We passed him again, and he apparently tried to hang onto the wheel of the girl at the back, but didn't last long.

Ha ha.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:44 am 

'boner stem Cervelo' made me chuckle

went all in this week and picked up a used Quarq. Did a lactate threshold test to get my zone HR/Power numbers at a buddys shop too. goal is to actually do an interval now and cat up on the road :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:53 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I botched my FTP test today by accidentally going up the wrong climb and running out of hill. Still, though, it looks like I've made gains over last year, even at this stage in the game (i.e. January), so that's encouraging. 176 watts of fury.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:07 pm 

sweet! what do you do for a FTP test?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:25 pm 
Inflexitarian

I did the Paris to Ancaster bicycle race yesterday! Third year doing it. My time was pretty bad (First place was more or less exactly two hours faster than I was...), but it was still marginally better than the last few times I've done it AND it was a lot of fun, so I'm going to call it a success.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:29 pm 

congrats! there are some wicked fast people who race that. I saw a bunch of blips about it online but dont know too much about it. what type of bike did you race it on?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:55 pm 
Inflexitarian

I'm not sure how I'd categorize the race. Combination of single track with road sections and lots of rail trail and mud. Goes through plenty of farms. Averages around 60km most years.

I did it on my touring bike (2008 Fuji Touring) with cross tires, though I'm not sure the tires helped much.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:54 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Sounds like a mixed terrain race to me! Good work!

I'm having a weird season. I've made huge gains in terms of strength and power, but I don't have my mental game right. I know I have the physical ability to win a race, but I'm having a mental block. I'm doing good work for teammates and making other people hurt, but I'm missing that go-for-the-jugular instinct when I need it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:18 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Not a bike race (but since I don't race.. eh), but yesterday I carted a total of 4 cubic feet of dirt from the garden place to home on my bike trailer. Took two trips because apparently 2 cubic feet is a giant bag of dirt. My back is sore today (Strained from a while ago) and I'm blaming it on that. My trailer is a BOB trailer, which means it's a single wheel so it felt a bit tipsy with so much weight on it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:54 am 

Tea wrote:
I'm not sure how I'd categorize the race. Combination of single track with road sections and lots of rail trail and mud. Goes through plenty of farms. Averages around 60km most years.

I did it on my touring bike (2008 Fuji Touring) with cross tires, though I'm not sure the tires helped much.

Sounds like a blast. I saw a bunch of cyclocross pro racers riding it. how many people are out for something like that?

jordanpattern wrote:
Sounds like a mixed terrain race to me! Good work!

I'm having a weird season. I've made huge gains in terms of strength and power, but I don't have my mental game right. I know I have the physical ability to win a race, but I'm having a mental block. I'm doing good work for teammates and making other people hurt, but I'm missing that go-for-the-jugular instinct when I need it.

Seems like you been riding a ton from instgram/strava (just barely stalking haha) What cat are you racing now? The helping out teammates and not going for the win has been my road-racing tactic until this year. If you make a goal of catting up or X amount of podiums it may help force you to go for it a bit more... BUT if you recently catted up its sometime nice to work for others until you get mentally prepared to crush some souls in the faster race.

lillianp wrote:
Not a bike race (but since I don't race.. eh), but yesterday I carted a total of 4 cubic feet of dirt from the garden place to home on my bike trailer. Took two trips because apparently 2 cubic feet is a giant bag of dirt. My back is sore today (Strained from a while ago) and I'm blaming it on that. My trailer is a BOB trailer, which means it's a single wheel so it felt a bit tipsy with so much weight on it.

I want to see what 2cu.ft look like on a BOB trailer. i assume you took photos?! :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:24 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I'm a cat 4. I think I'll probably cat up at the end of this season regardless of whether I win or not (you can upgrade from 4 --> 3 on number of races entered), but I would really rather see some success before doing that.

Part of my problem is that I'm a "true climber," (read: I'm small and don't have a very high power output). Courses the cat 4s get to race are usually around 30 miles and have not much climbing, so I don't get to use my best weapon often, which I think has affected my confidence. I've definitely improved my overall strength and ability to motor and attack on flats and rollers and whatever, but I still just can't seem to make a win (or even a podium) happen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:54 am 
Inflexitarian

Eric. wrote:
Sounds like a blast. I saw a bunch of cyclocross pro racers riding it. how many people are out for something like that?

From the results page... Just over 1200 folks finished the Paris to Ancaster. Just under 500 did the St George to Ancaster (Shorter version starting at roughly the midway point of the main race). I just looked up the pre-registration list and 1918 folks were signed up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:52 am 

jordanpattern wrote:
I'm a cat 4. I think I'll probably cat up at the end of this season regardless of whether I win or not (you can upgrade from 4 --> 3 on number of races entered), but I would really rather see some success before doing that.

Part of my problem is that I'm a "true climber," (read: I'm small and don't have a very high power output). Courses the cat 4s get to race are usually around 30 miles and have not much climbing, so I don't get to use my best weapon often, which I think has affected my confidence. I've definitely improved my overall strength and ability to motor and attack on flats and rollers and whatever, but I still just can't seem to make a win (or even a podium) happen.

What are most of the races you do up there? 4 only or 3/4? Yah, its always nice to be towards the top before you cat up and get destroyed :D

Are most of the races there RR or crits? In your fields do things stay together until a sprint usually or is it usually a break off the front that wins? Are the same women beating you each race or does it vary?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:53 am 

Tea wrote:
Eric. wrote:

From the results page... Just over 1200 folks finished the Paris to Ancaster. Just under 500 did the St George to Ancaster (Shorter version starting at roughly the midway point of the main race). I just looked up the pre-registration list and 1918 folks were signed up.

damn, that sounds like fun. do you need a license for the event or is it more of a grand-fondo type thing?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2067 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 83  Next