| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:33 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

That's so exciting, happyfaced! I'm so glad the CBC folks were able to help you out. For hand soreness, I'd ask about it at the bike shop when you take your bike in. They may be able to do some adjustments that might help. I also find changing up hand position every once in a while helps. It's also helpful to remember to straighten your back and bend your arms at the elbows; I find that helps keep my core engaged, which prevents me from leaning to heavily on my hands, wrists, and arms for support.

This is my Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/267142

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:29 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

happyfaced wrote:
and i want to go - go - GO! like i want to ride my bike all the time and i'm excited to get up tomorrow, drink coffee, and ride!!!!!!!!!

also - i am on that strava thing and am totally going to try and find you all on there. because i cannot stop nerding out on bike things right now!

(sorry for all the exclamation points and excitement. i can't help it. ha!)

Awesome! Having a bike that makes you want to ride/happy is the right bike, even if it cost a little more up front.

My Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/215360

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

jordanpattern wrote:
For hand soreness, I'd ask about it at the bike shop when you take your bike in. They may be able to do some adjustments that might help. I also find changing up hand position every once in a while helps. It's also helpful to remember to straighten your back and bend your arms at the elbows; I find that helps keep my core engaged, which prevents me from leaning to heavily on my hands, wrists, and arms for support.

This is my Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/267142

thanks, jopa! i'm taking my bike in later this week and will totally mention it to them. the gloves help a little and i know it might totally go away just because i have CT, but straightening my back and bending my arms to engage my core is a great idea. i was telling my spouse just the other day that i want to start doing leg throws and sit ups and such to get my core stronger so i can bike better. i read online that a strong core can help you out. i have also been doing some stretching after my rides as well - and rolling my hamstrings out with the foam roller. feels super good!

Eric. wrote:

found you both on strava and am now following. thanks so much! oh, and here i am - stava n00b: https://www.strava.com/athletes/17016263

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:25 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

sweet!

ohh forgot to post about The Deerfield Dirt-Road Randonnee 180k... There were some amazing dirt roads out in Western Massachusetts/Vermont. Never ridden out there before but seriously loved it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:19 pm 
WELFARIST!

I spent a bunch of solid weekend time working on bike stuff. The teeth of the rear gears on my Bianchi were really worn-- I had thought so, but a guy I met on my last ride pointed this out to me and suggested I replace the cassette and chain (he also just happened to have a chain meter thing with him, so he measured it and it was REALLY worn). That's what I did this weekend-- I went from an 11-25 to an 11-28, thinking that might be a little better for hills, neglecting to think that maybe it wouldn't fit the very small derailleur that was on there. And it didn't. So that was my next thing, a longer derailleur (and honestly, with the scrapes on the old one, it's probably just as well to replace it too-- I know it was in a wreck, after all, and I'm not sure what was damaged...). And of course a chain. So now I have some new skills and some new tools, and a lot of grease under my nails.

And then I saw that a bike I'd been looking at was on sale for like 45% off, and I ordered it! Now I'm clicking reload on the order status page waiting for it to ship. My plan is to keep that bike as a reliable commuter (which I'm going to start doing next week! Yay!) and use the Bianchi for general tinkering and probably longer rides. It should probably have a complete overhaul-- the chain rings are also pretty worn, so that's the next thing to work on, and probably more new specialized tools.

But for this week I'm jealously eyeing people on bikes and spending half an hour or an hour a day on the terrible stationary bike, fighting boredom to keep my legs from atrophying. :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:49 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Hey, that's great, SN! Learning how to work on your own bikes is super empowering (and can save you buttloads of money in the long run).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:01 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah! I'm enjoying it! I mean, I like repairing and maintaining things in general, and things I actually use are even better. 8)

My ultimate plan with the Bianchi is to strip it down, have it repainted (since it has some beat-up spots), and rebuild it from the ground up, replacing any original parts that could have been damaged.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:57 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

solipsistnation wrote:
I spent a bunch of solid weekend time working on bike stuff. The teeth of the rear gears on my Bianchi were really worn-- I had thought so, but a guy I met on my last ride pointed this out to me and suggested I replace the cassette and chain (he also just happened to have a chain meter thing with him, so he measured it and it was REALLY worn). That's what I did this weekend-- I went from an 11-25 to an 11-28, thinking that might be a little better for hills, neglecting to think that maybe it wouldn't fit the very small derailleur that was on there. And it didn't. So that was my next thing, a longer derailleur (and honestly, with the scrapes on the old one, it's probably just as well to replace it too-- I know it was in a wreck, after all, and I'm not sure what was damaged...). And of course a chain. So now I have some new skills and some new tools, and a lot of grease under my nails.

And then I saw that a bike I'd been looking at was on sale for like 45% off, and I ordered it! Now I'm clicking reload on the order status page waiting for it to ship. My plan is to keep that bike as a reliable commuter (which I'm going to start doing next week! Yay!) and use the Bianchi for general tinkering and probably longer rides. It should probably have a complete overhaul-- the chain rings are also pretty worn, so that's the next thing to work on, and probably more new specialized tools.

But for this week I'm jealously eyeing people on bikes and spending half an hour or an hour a day on the terrible stationary bike, fighting boredom to keep my legs from atrophying. :(

Nice! New skills + new tools is the bessssttt. Ive come to the conclusion that all my bikes will have no less than a 28t cog on the rear and a compact up front.

Out of curiosity what rear derailleur do you have? You should be able to make it work with a longer B-limit screw or potentially flipping the screw around.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:50 pm 
WELFARIST!

Eric. wrote:

Nice! New skills + new tools is the bessssttt. Ive come to the conclusion that all my bikes will have no less than a 28t cog on the rear and a compact up front.

Out of curiosity what rear derailleur do you have? You should be able to make it work with a longer B-limit screw or potentially flipping the screw around.

The old one was a circa 1990 Shimano 105, and honestly I didn't really hesitate to replace it since it was in the wreck and was pretty scraped up.

What would you recommend for chain rings when I get around to replacing those? I like the big 52.

I'm planning this weekend's longish ride, and I think I'm going to head for a place with some hills about 12 miles from home and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:31 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

agreed, its a great move. you can never go wrong upgrading drive train components.

you may already know this info but if not ill go in to too much detail for no real reason :)

most bikes of that generation used fairly big gears 55-52 big rings and 42-39t small ring. most of these use a bolt patter/bcd of 5x130mm where the smallest you can go is 38t.

In the last few years there has been an emphasis on spinning so most bikes come with compact or semi-compact chain rings usually a 50t big and 36 or 34t small. In order to fit a 36 or 34t small chain ring they went to a 5x110bcd pattern (with some really new cranks doing 4 bolt, direct mount, and campy always doing its own thing).

Personally I run a 50t/34t on my road bike. its all preference but my knees like to spin more than mash these days and I rarely spin out a 50x11t.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm all for detail. Go for it!

When you say spinning, you mean pedaling faster in lower gears, rather than pedaling slower but harder in higher gears, right (mashing?)? The guy I ran into on my last long ride pedaled much faster in lower gear than I did, and asked if I always ride in such a high gear (big ring, 2nd or 3rd from highest sprocket). I asked him if he always rides in such a low gear. 8)

Okay, and that explains what it means when I see a 110/50 tooth chainring vs a 130/52 tooth chainring.

The Traitor has a 50/34, so I guess I'll see how that feels and go from there. It should ship today. I am very excited. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:41 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

yep exactly.

spinning would be more revolutions per minute in an easier gear vs mashing at a lower RPM in a harder gear. everyone has their own preference, especially for climbing but its usually better on your knees and easier to change pace quickly if you are pedaling at a higher RPM. im not sure exactly but off the topic of my head id say 80-85+ RPM would be considered spinning vs anything in the 60 RPM range is mashing. youd be able to see this metric with a cadence sensor or GPS unit.

50/34 is a great setup. you wont ever be sad to have an easier gear when climbing and spinning out a 50x11 is 40+mph which is usually fast enough

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:52 am 
WELFARIST!

Cool, ok. I've thought about getting a cadence sensor, but I'm not sure I want to get THAT far into metrics... 8) (But more graphs on Strava are always good, right?)

It's arriving today! Sometime after lunch I'm going to go home and basically sit next to the door until the UPS guy shows up. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:34 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

solipsistnation wrote:
Cool, ok. I've thought about getting a cadence sensor,

I just recently got a cadence sensor and I like having it. Possibly I could have developed better habits had I been gauging it earlier.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:32 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Yeah, a cadence sensor is great. I'm currently spending months and months and hundreds of dollars on PT and personal training trying to fix what began as a relatively simple bad habit, so I'm all for anything that helps prevent bad habits. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:01 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Eric, you ride a TCX of some description, right? What do you think of it? Have you done any gravel grinding with it?

I ask because I think it's time for me to admit that my 44cm cross bike is too small for 5'6 me. After spending so much time working on form, it feels bad to ride, and the more I ride it, the more it feels like the improper sizing might be making technical stuff harder than it has to be. I am checking out the TCX Advanced SX (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bi ... ifications), and I'm thinking that with my team discount, I could about break even if I sell my current bike.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:42 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

agreed, good habits and proper fit from day 1 will save you tons in the long run!!

jordanpattern wrote:
Eric, you ride a TCX of some description, right? What do you think of it? Have you done any gravel grinding with it?

I ask because I think it's time for me to admit that my 44cm cross bike is too small for 5'6 me. After spending so much time working on form, it feels bad to ride, and the more I ride it, the more it feels like the improper sizing might be making technical stuff harder than it has to be. I am checking out the TCX Advanced SX (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bi ... ifications), and I'm thinking that with my team discount, I could about break even if I sell my current bike.

i have a TCR roadie and had a TCX for one of my city kids to try cross but never raced one. 44cm is small :) Id say if you think the fit is way off and doing harm sell it asap and get something that fits well. if you can break even then its a no brainer imo. i havnt used/heard much about the Apex hydro stuff. Are people liking it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:01 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

CX magazine did a review, and they seemed to think the Apex hydro group was pretty close to the Rival stuff. I think it would be fine for my purposes. That said, I may also look into the model above the one I linked, which has Rival.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:02 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Also, what are you riding for cross?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

Bike commute success!

However, I am now a bit stinky.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

jordanpattern wrote:
I'm currently spending months and months and hundreds of dollars on PT and personal training trying to fix what began as a relatively simple bad habit

Relying on too big a gear? Do tell!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:10 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Pulling up with my hamstrings on the back of the pedalstroke. :( Don't do it, kids.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:39 pm 
WELFARIST!

20 miles into a 50-mile ride, I stopped to take a picture in the middle of a terribly boring causeway out into the middle of nowhere in the Bay. I found out last night that there's a bike path/sidewalk thing across the Dumbarton Bridge and that seemed like a pretty nice way to break in the Traitor.

It's not a light bike (well, compared to my beater it is, but it's a bit heavier that the Bianchi even without the panniers, and those add a few more pounds since I wasn't going to go on a long ride without some extra water, tire changing stuff, and of course a Tofurky sandwich) but it moves pretty well and handled all the gravel and bumpy roads and potholes I encountered.

There's definitely a different feel to riding with the smaller chainrings-- I tried to spin more than mash and that worked pretty well, although my legs are differently tired now than they have been on earlier rides. It was definitely easier to take the long slope up and over the bridge.

The one thing I'm not thrilled with are the brakes, but I might just need to adjust them. I'm going to go through their manual before I complain too much.

Anyway, hooray, new bike! Now I can take apart and work on the Bianchi and still have something to ride around on. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:30 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Yay! Sounds like a great ride, and kudos for figuring out the helmet stand. :)

Not that you asked, but my unsolicited thoughts that may or may not be useful are:

For water, I'd add a second bottle cage. It looks like you have bosses there on the seat tube for it, so that's an easy and cheap way to accommodate more water for longer rides. It's also not a bad practice if you're going over 30 or 40 miles to try and incorporate a water stop, be it a public park with a water fountain or a 7-11 where you can run in to use the water from the soda fountain.

For flat fixing, I use a seatbag: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product ... pack-strap
It's got a little tab you can hook a rear light on, and fits a road tube, patch kit, couple of tire levers, CO2 canister, and a nozzle.

Next step might be a cycling jersey so you can carry snacks and your phone and stuff in your pockets. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Do you know if the brakes are mechanical or hydraulic?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97  Next