| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:23 pm 
WELFARIST!

jordanpattern wrote:
Yay! Sounds like a great ride, and kudos for figuring out the helmet stand. :)

Yeah, you can tell I've been looking at bike nerd pictures... 8)

Quote:
For water, I'd add a second bottle cage. It looks like you have bosses there on the seat tube for it, so that's an easy and cheap way to accommodate more water for longer rides. It's also not a bad practice if you're going over 30 or 40 miles to try and incorporate a water stop, be it a public park with a water fountain or a 7-11 where you can run in to use the water from the soda fountain.

Yeah, I know where all the good water fountains are up and down the Bay Trail now... 8) I've been going from park to park up and down the bay, filling up as needed. Without the panniers I'll add another bottle, though, yep. (Probably next time I get to REI or somewhere.)

Getting used to panniers is kind of important too, since I'm going to be riding this to work with a laptop and a change of clothes, and not a backpack again since I ended up with some dramatic back sweat to deal with when I got to work on Friday.

Quote:
For flat fixing, I use a seatbag: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product ... pack-strap
It's got a little tab you can hook a rear light on, and fits a road tube, patch kit, couple of tire levers, CO2 canister, and a nozzle.

Next step might be a cycling jersey so you can carry snacks and your phone and stuff in your pockets. :)

I have a cycling jersey, but I'm sort of nervous about stuff falling out... Do you ever lose things out of the pockets from hitting bumps or whatever? The airflow is GREAT though, and a huge change even from riding in a t-shirt... 8) I've refrained from posting jersey selfies though... Actually I'm way more comfortable a jersey than I thought I'd ever be (you can tell because I wear them out in public...).

Thanks for the advice. Over-advising is better than under, I think. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

fupapack wrote:
Do you know if the brakes are mechanical or hydraulic?

They're mechanical. They're Promax Render R disk brakes, and they're pretty low-end.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:24 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Mechanical disc brakes can be tricky; they're definitely hard to modulate. I expect you'll get used to them, though, as you ride them more.

Re. jerseys, I don't think I've had anything fall out of my jersey pockets except maybe the odd clif bar wrapper that I didn't tuck in properly. I tend to wear "race fit" style jerseys, so the pockets are quite taut; they hold the stuff in them quite close to my body, so stuff isn't really moving around, if that makes sense. If you have a looser fitting jersey, you might want to pack your pockets with a bit more care, but unless your pockets are really shallow and/or you're riding in a super aggressive position, I think your stuff is probably safe in your jersey pocket.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:50 am 
WELFARIST!

I spent a little time this morning adjusting the brakes-- I think they were off-center a little which didn't help. I'll probably go out for a ride later this morning or this afternoon and see how they're set up. I can adjust them easily without needing a bunch of tools or anything, at least, so I can just pull over to mess with them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:03 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

jordanpattern wrote:
CX magazine did a review, and they seemed to think the Apex hydro group was pretty close to the Rival stuff. I think it would be fine for my purposes. That said, I may also look into the model above the one I linked, which has Rival.

id be intrigued if you test ride either of them.

jordanpattern wrote:
Also, what are you riding for cross?

Im racing a Ridley X-night w/ cantis. love it for racing but not so great for anything else

solipsistnation wrote:
I spent a little time this morning adjusting the brakes-- I think they were off-center a little which didn't help. I'll probably go out for a ride later this morning or this afternoon and see how they're set up. I can adjust them easily without needing a bunch of tools or anything, at least, so I can just pull over to mess with them.

new bike looks dialed! id agree that mechanical disc brakes can be finicky. you may already know this trick but this helped me quite a bit. loosening the bolts that hold the brake caliper to the frame, then squeeze and hold the brake, with the brake still engaged tighten both the bolts holding the brake caliper. This will center the brake caliper. you may have to do this a couple times but eventually it everything should spin freely without the rotor hitting the pads.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:52 am 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I did the loosen/squeeze/tighten thing yesterday-- today the rear brakes aren't stopping well again though. The front is fine. One thing is that it's pretty hard to get to the bolts holding the rear caliper to the frame... I can tighten them a little so I can get home tonight and then mess with them there. I don't have a long enough hex wrench to really work on things in the office. (As if they'd be excited about that in the first place, heh. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:29 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

yah i ran into the same issue setting up a new groupset on my mtb last weekend with almost no room to work on the rear caliper.

ive only ran BB5s and i do remember having a hard time ever dialing them in as good as i thought they should be.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:56 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Looks like my cross bike is getting sold today. I'm going to be looking at a 2016 Giant TCX Advanced Pro 2 with 105, and may stop by and check out the Raleigh $1500 aluminum jobber, which looks to be a pretty good deal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:46 pm 
WELFARIST!

Aaaand then I wrecked it. Rear brakes didn't grip-- I checked them before heading to work because I've been thinking about it, got about 8 miles in, a garbage truck pulled out in front of me and I braked hard, only to find that the front gripped but the back didn't. Bruised rib, sprained wrist, lots of scrapes, no impact or even scraping on my helmet though.

And I bent my fork. :( (And torqued the crepe out of the brake rotor, but that's not as big a deal.) Traitor have a good crash replacement warranty, but you know, I didn't want to have to use it 5 days after getting the bike.

Fork:

http://i.imgur.com/4R1hQBi.jpg

Rotor:

http://i.imgur.com/DJu1hW0.jpg

Sad. :(

Replacing the brakes, for obvious reasons (aside from having the rotor torqued hard inside the front caliper). But I am undeterred, and once it's back together and my ribs heal, I'm back on the road. For now, tramadol and TV binging, I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:49 pm 
WELFARIST!

Eric. wrote:
ive only ran BB5s and i do remember having a hard time ever dialing them in as good as i thought they should be.

I've heard that about BB5s, but I've only read good things about BB7s, so I have a pair of those ordered.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I wish I could help you somehow. Sorry that happened to you and hope you get back to pedaling soon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:09 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Damn, that sucks! Glad to hear you weren't more seriously injured, and that you're getting back in the saddle once you're healed up. Crashes suck, but they happen, and the best thing for them is to get back out there as soon as you can.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:54 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yep! I already ordered parts to repair it. I'm just waiting to hear back from Traitor about their crash replacement warranty for the fork.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:25 pm 
WELFARIST!

Okay, I've got a set of new brake calipers-- Avid BB7s instead of Promax Render Rs. On the old brakes, I could turn the adjustment wheel by hand. On these, I can't-- it'll take a hex wrench and some effort. No wonder the old ones kept loosening as I rode. On the new ones, the piece I can turn by hand has click stops instead of just a friction-fit plastic wheel thingy. The rotors are beefier, too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:54 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I raced 2 cross races today, both on a singlespeed. And now I am dead.

Tomorrow, I race in a corn maze!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

A corn maze? How does that work? Lots of tight corners and running into things?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:25 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Pretty much! The corn maze is only a part of the course, but it's usually muddy, and yes, lots of tight turns (though not a lot of photos of them for obvious reasons):

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:24 pm 
WELFARIST!

That looks awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:29 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

solipsistnation wrote:
Aaaand then I wrecked it. Rear brakes didn't grip-- I checked them before heading to work because I've been thinking about it, got about 8 miles in, a garbage truck pulled out in front of me and I braked hard, only to find that the front gripped but the back didn't. Bruised rib, sprained wrist, lots of scrapes, no impact or even scraping on my helmet though.

And I bent my fork. :( (And torqued the crepe out of the brake rotor, but that's not as big a deal.) Traitor have a good crash replacement warranty, but you know, I didn't want to have to use it 5 days after getting the bike.

dang thats a bummer! hope you have a speedy recovery!!

jordanpattern wrote:
I raced 2 cross races today, both on a singlespeed. And now I am dead.

Tomorrow, I race in a corn maze!

howd the racing go this weekend?? what sscx rig are you on these days? the picture looks sweeeet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:46 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Racing went okay this weekend. The Saturday races featured a gnarly sand/barrier section (30 feet of loose sand that was rideable but faster for me to run, then 30 feet of packed, rideable sand, 15 feet of loose sand, barrier, 15 feet of loose sand, 30 feet of packed sand, then 40 feet of loose, slightly uphill sand), and I ended up doing it 10x over my two races. I was pretty beat by the end. I got last in the SS women's race, which is fine. A lot of elite women race that cat, and it was my first time racing SS, so whatever. I got 7th in cat 4 women and definitely would have done better had I been on a geared bike that had less toe overlap than my bike. There was one feature that I couldn't ride because the toe overlap was so bad, which was frustrating and lost me a bunch of time every lap. I can ride it fine on a non-overlapping bike.

Sunday's race was comically bad. There were 8 180* turns each lap, and I couldn't pedal through a single one of them, so I lost tons of time at each one ratcheting around them. I did conquer a flyover that terrified me last year, though, so I feel pretty good about that. :)

I'm riding an On One Pompino for SS. I put big-ass tires on it, which are super fun, but don't help the toe overlap situation. I'm going to play around with the cleats a bit and maybe try a different fork to see if that helps things.

Looking at some cross bikes this week - Focus Mares (carbon) and a Niner with Apex. Checked out a Giant TCX, and I liked it, but their smallest model has a 53 TT, which is too big. :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:47 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Oh, and here's me during my second race on Saturday:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:38 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Uh oh. I forked up. I test rode a Niner BSB RDO with Ultegra, and now every other bike feels stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:12 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

jordanpattern wrote:
Racing went okay this weekend. The Saturday races featured a gnarly sand/barrier section (30 feet of loose sand that was rideable but faster for me to run, then 30 feet of packed, rideable sand, 15 feet of loose sand, barrier, 15 feet of loose sand, 30 feet of packed sand, then 40 feet of loose, slightly uphill sand), and I ended up doing it 10x over my two races. I was pretty beat by the end. I got last in the SS women's race, which is fine. A lot of elite women race that cat, and it was my first time racing SS, so whatever. I got 7th in cat 4 women and definitely would have done better had I been on a geared bike that had less toe overlap than my bike. There was one feature that I couldn't ride because the toe overlap was so bad, which was frustrating and lost me a bunch of time every lap. I can ride it fine on a non-overlapping bike.

Sunday's race was comically bad. There were 8 180* turns each lap, and I couldn't pedal through a single one of them, so I lost tons of time at each one ratcheting around them. I did conquer a flyover that terrified me last year, though, so I feel pretty good about that. :)

I'm riding an On One Pompino for SS. I put big-ass tires on it, which are super fun, but don't help the toe overlap situation. I'm going to play around with the cleats a bit and maybe try a different fork to see if that helps things.

Looking at some cross bikes this week - Focus Mares (carbon) and a Niner with Apex. Checked out a Giant TCX, and I liked it, but their smallest model has a 53 TT, which is too big. :(

any pictures of this sand pit/barrier section?>?

wild. never seen one of those but it sounds like the overlap is pretty bad :) does it already have short crank arms on it? could you rub 650b wheels haha

jordanpattern wrote:
Uh oh. I forked up. I test rode a Niner BSB RDO with Ultegra, and now every other bike feels stupid.

yesss! those things are dialed. I really wanted the steel version a while back as a daily rig. they look dialed imo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:06 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

First muddy race of the season. I raced pretty well, and I think I might have gotten on the podium if I'd had a geared bike without the toe overlap issues. As it was, I was 7th or 8th, AND I outsprinted a woman on a geared bike at the line, so I'm pretty chuffed with myself about that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

You guys, I really feel like a bicycle badass. I went on my first group ride AND off-road adventure and it was SO COOL (and hard. definitely had to walk a few parts). Sometimes I don't feel like a Real Cyclist because I don't have clipless pedals and don't want to race, but I am, dammit!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97  Next