| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2007 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

Eric. wrote:
if you find a shop by you that had some in stock throw those tires on and see if theyll let you test fit them real quick since it could be a tight fit reach wise. also if your not scared to use a dremel a bit you can always extend the reach by grinding the brake a bit.

I like the way you think. I'll have to call around this weekend, trying it out definitely makes some serious sense. Plus, it's always fun to go to a shop.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:54 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I miss riding my bike. :< the weather was awesome today and I was so excited to ride to class tomorrow, until I checked the weather and saw that it's going to be thunderstorming all day. siiiiiigh. come onnn Florida, hurry up and go back to your normal weather. I'd much rather be covered in sweat than freezing in the rain.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:28 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Okay, so I got locks, I have a workable helmet, and today, I bought a fancy-ass biking backpack, which means that tomorrow, I will ride to work for the first time. It will actually be my first time biking on the streets of San Francisco (for real - not just tooling around my neighborhood). I'm reading the Bike Snob book, looking at bike blogs, and trying to psych myself up for it. I used to bike commute in Edmonton, a much less cycle-friendly city, and I was fine. I took an urban cycling class, so I feel pretty confident in my theoretical knowledge of how to ride safely. I'm kind of terrified,.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:31 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

jordanpattern wrote:
Okay, so I got locks, I have a workable helmet, and today, I bought a fancy-asparagus biking backpack, which means that tomorrow, I will ride to work for the first time. It will actually be my first time biking on the streets of San Francisco (for real - not just tooling around my neighborhood). I'm reading the Bike Snob book, looking at bike blogs, and trying to psych myself up for it. I used to bike commute in Edmonton, a much less cycle-friendly city, and I was fine. I took an urban cycling class, so I feel pretty confident in my theoretical knowledge of how to ride safely. I'm kind of terrified,.

You'll be fine! I had way less experience than it sounds like you have and I was fine in SF, downtown and otherwise. Just...stop for stop signs, even if they're clear of cars. I was pulled over and yelled at by a cop in the lower haight.

There are so many cyclists in SF that it's easy to just copy what others are doing if you're not sure.

Have fun!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:00 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks, Vijita! That does make me feel better. I'm thinking I'll just head down Market to the Embarcadero and then ride up the path and then into North Beach. Market is kind of scary, but you're right; there are a lot of cyclists there to follow, and there are bike lanes pretty much the whole way. I suppose I could also take Folsom...

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:30 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I was stressed on Market at first, but the bike lanes provide quite a bit of comfort. If you're ever heading south, Valencia is a cyclist's paradise.

Just be mindful of jerky muni drivers on Market and you'll be fine! I also wouldn't recommend wearing headphones around that area until you are super confident. Report back!

I can't wait to be a bicycling badazz in SF again in Feb.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:44 pm 
Nailed to the V

Alina wrote:
I miss riding my bike. :< the weather was awesome today and I was so excited to ride to class tomorrow, until I checked the weather and saw that it's going to be thunderstorming all day. siiiiiigh. come onnn Florida, hurry up and go back to your normal weather. I'd much rather be covered in sweat than freezing in the rain.

This is me. The ice melted so I got a ride in today (it was great out) but it's supposed to snow again tomorrow and Friday :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:11 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Proud owner of a (free) fixed gear (which makes two geared bikes and one not). I nearly died during the test ride. I get to pick it up tomorrow. Woo! It's so LIGHT!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:14 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

jordanpattern wrote:
Okay, so I got locks, I have a workable helmet, and today, I bought a fancy-asparagus biking backpack, which means that tomorrow, I will ride to work for the first time. It will actually be my first time biking on the streets of San Francisco (for real - not just tooling around my neighborhood). I'm reading the Bike Snob book, looking at bike blogs, and trying to psych myself up for it. I used to bike commute in Edmonton, a much less cycle-friendly city, and I was fine. I took an urban cycling class, so I feel pretty confident in my theoretical knowledge of how to ride safely. I'm kind of terrified,.

1. Practice makes perfect!
2. Just drive as if every driver (and other cyclist) is trying to kill you; they are, but you shall not let them! < /gandalf voice >
3. Learn to look behind you. Seriously, this took me forever and I'm not sure why, maybe it's a balance thing. But once you're confident on the bike, get confident turning your head almost all the way around so you can make sure the lane is clear in case you've gotta get into it.
4. Watch out for potholes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:22 am 
Level 7 Vegan

jordanpattern wrote:

Good for you! The times I've visited San Fran Frisco with my bike were intimidating at first, but then I noticed how many other cyclists there were. And I felt the drivers were a little more patient than I expected. Just remember, you're nothing the cars haven't seen before. Be confident! Put your arm out there and signal! Make them slow down for you!

You'll be great.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:23 am 
Level 7 Vegan

graffitipassion wrote:
San Fran Frisco Frisco.

I ALWAYS do that! So weird.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:26 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

If you’ve commuted before you know the gist. Also I would not look to emulate others, as ive seen especially in urban cities this can be very dangerous to people trying to ride like others who do not have the bike know-how/control. Just ride a bit slower/more careful the first few times on the commute until you find which intersections/areas could lend themselves to hazardless situations. Also be careful of car doors in bike lanes :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:56 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks, guys! I'll let you know how it goes!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:32 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Eric. wrote:
Also be careful of car doors in bike lanes :)

God yes.

Sometimes when I'm riding, I pretend I'm watching a video game where it points out all the hazards I'm avoiding. It helps pass the time. So I'll sing Mario Bro in my head while little arrows pop out in front of me and point out things like:

Avoid glass in bike lane, dodge person getting into car, distracted driver ahead, avoid pothole

It's fun AND I think it keeps me more alert than I normally am because I'm always looking for the next hazard.

I hope you have a great first ride Jordan!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:40 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

haha, yeah city commuting does keep you on your toes.

I try to run the left side of a bike lane (if cars are parked to the right) and know what the traffic is like behind me incase I need to make a quick move to miss a door.

Oh and always always be careful of cabs. A majority drive like wildmen and their patrons can, and will open doors on both sides at ANY time, especially at lights when your not expecting it (ie door from the left in a bike lane). I find cabs are the hardest cars to predict because unlike most vehicles, the driver usually foreshadows the move they are going to make beforehand. Since cab drivers are sometimes re-advised the destination either by the patron or the radio, they have to act suddenly and that makes it hard to guess what they will do next.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:21 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

Well, I got out on my bike, and I quickly realized something was wrong with my back wheel. I had to walk it back home, and now I'm taking it into the shop. The good news is, the brief time I was out, I felt pretty confident, so hopefully I can get my bike quickly (and cheaply) fixed and get out there!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:21 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

jordanpattern wrote:
Thanks for all the advice, guys!

Well, I got out on my bike, and I quickly realized something was wrong with my back wheel. I had to walk it back home, and now I'm taking it into the shop. The good news is, the brief time I was out, I felt pretty confident, so hopefully I can get my bike quickly (and cheaply) fixed and get out there!

Oh no way! That's a shame.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:21 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

It's cool, since the whole thing has allowed me to find a great bike shop. I'm getting a tune up and my wheel thing fixed for a good price. The guy at the shop was really helpful, and I'm going to take my bike back there to get the handlebars switched out in a while.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:46 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

jordanpattern wrote:
It's cool, since the whole thing has allowed me to find a great bike shop. I'm getting a tune up and my wheel thing fixed for a good price. The guy at the shop was really helpful, and I'm going to take my bike back there to get the handlebars switched out in a while.

Where'd you end up going?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:57 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Refried Cycle! They're in the Castro, and they were the least pretentious, nicest people.
http://www.refriedcycles.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:19 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I AM a badass! Today I'm riding to my hair appointment, so I can log miles. Helmet head be damned.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:55 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I rode (most of the way) to work today! I had to walk up a steep hill right at the end of my commute, but all told, it was pretty good, and relatively stress free! I'll need to do a bit of investigative work on the best way to negotiate a couple intersections, but for the most part, it was all easy. I'm a little nervous about riding back during rush hour tonight, but hopefully I'll figure it out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:04 am 
Chip Strong

jordanpattern wrote:
I rode (most of the way) to work today! I had to walk up a steep hill right at the end of my commute, but all told, it was pretty good, and relatively stress free! I'll need to do a bit of investigative work on the best way to negotiate a couple intersections, but for the most part, it was all easy. I'm a little nervous about riding back during rush hour tonight, but hopefully I'll figure it out.

I ride down Market at rush hour everyday. I'd just say mix caution with confidence and watch out for cabs and buses especially.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:58 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Jordan, what kind of bag did you get? I just got myself a Mission Workshop from lovely SF and it's awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:42 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I got a Chrome backpack. It's HUGE, but I need something large, because I often have to haul my laptop, some files, and legal texts, plus lunch, etc. etc. It'll also be great for groceries, since that will be my other thing that I'll be using it for.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2007 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 81  Next