| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:36 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

stranger wrote:
stoked for millar on stage 12 today - and finally some good news for garmin. millar's autobiography is just out in paperback in the uk and i'm half-way through it. quite a read. well worth picking up. definitely had me cheering him over the line.

Read his book on holiday too and very glad he has returned riding strong (and clean). Was getting a bit excited that he might hold on to the breakaway and take another stage today. But Cav's finish, I was screaming at the telly! The pocket rocket returns!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:00 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Got clipless pedals today! And my eventual fall out of the way!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:21 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

ScooterDiva wrote:

I should get some! Now that I have two bikes I could have clipless for long rides and regular pedals for commuting to work.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:10 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Clipless are the best. Seriously. Everyone should get them because they are awesome.

I just looked back at my Strava, and I've ridden over 100 miles a week (often significantly over) for the last 8 weeks. Yay!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:09 pm 

katiejayne wrote:
ScooterDiva wrote:

I should get some! Now that I have two bikes I could have clipless for long rides and regular pedals for commuting to work.

You should, kj! I really like them so far.

Awesome mileage, Jp!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:12 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

jordanpattern wrote:
Clipless are the best. Seriously. Everyone should get them because they are awesome.

I just looked back at my Strava, and I've ridden over 100 miles a week (often significantly over) for the last 8 weeks. Yay!

flat pedals forever here!
but i don't ride road bikes, or even all that much in the way of XC rides to be honest; mostly all-mountain dicking about or DH-lite...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:43 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Ah, I get that. I ride clipless on my mountain bike, but I can definitely see how it would be good to ride flat pedals too.

On the road/cross bike, though, forget it. Clipless all the way!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:46 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

^ it's all about the clipless. Been riding them less than a month and wow what a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:03 pm 

i'm still unsure about what team sky means for the short- and medium-term future of cycling, undecided about just how i feel about the levels of excitement in this year's tour. but watching wiggins take the mic on the podium and declare, on what must have been one the greatest moments of his life, that they were just going to draw the raffle had me in absolute stitches.

or was that just me?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:01 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

my new cycling crush <3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:03 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

+1 yummy

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:25 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

He's so adorable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:40 pm 

to clarify: we're letting him off with the sexpestness?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUWakT8eu7I

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:04 pm 

no, but in 2007 he won the Slovak Cup riding his sister's (Walmart-esque) bike when his sponsor didn't come through and he'd sold his.. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:31 pm 

Joshua, who is that?

Also, I did 67 miles today! And I keep hearing that I should get clipless.. But most of my riding is city riding and I'm terrified of falling over. (Though I did this bad asparagus skid on slick metal plates where I was practically sideways and still managed not to fall over the other day...So I guess my argument's kind of invalid?)

Ugh. Someone tell me I won't fall over and die on a highway. (It's not an interstate, just...a four laner that I go down for work, though I guess I could change my route if I get clipless before I move in a month) Is it possible to get clips where they're part of a larger thing pedal? So if I didn't have my clip shoes on...?

I don't know anything. Educate me people!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:20 pm 

^Peter Sagan!

and clipless in a city is great. your foot will never fall off on bumpy ground, or wet pedals in the rain :) I feel a *lot* safer with them than without them..

and yep, you can get pedals that are SPD on one side, and platform on the other. something like these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28050

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:11 am 

Joshua, those look perfect! Now to figure that out. What type of shoes are vegan? Will I have to order online?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:08 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I think most clipless shoes are vegan. You can find good deals online, but honestly, I'd recommend buying them from your local bike shop. You need to install the cleats that clip into the pedals, and the positioning of the cleats is quite important. It's probably going to be easier to get your cleats positioned properly by someone at your LBS than by trying to do it yourself.

Another thing you can do to make getting used to clipless a little easier is to loosen the clip-in mechanism on the pedals. You can ask the people at your bike shop how to do this, but it's pretty easy, provided you have either a multitool or the properly sized allen wrench.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:50 pm 

^all of that. yes yes yes. support your LBS! it'll pay off :)

and accept that "everyone falls off once". go hang out somewhere off the streets until you get the feel for clipping in and out. honestly, it'll become second nature before you know it and you'll wonder how you ever did without them :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:29 pm 

jordanpattern wrote:
I think most clipless shoes are vegan. You can find good deals online, but honestly, I'd recommend buying them from your local bike shop. You need to install the cleats that clip into the pedals, and the positioning of the cleats is quite important. It's probably going to be easier to get your cleats positioned properly by someone at your LBS than by trying to do it yourself.

Another thing you can do to make getting used to clipless a little easier is to loosen the clip-in mechanism on the pedals. You can ask the people at your bike shop how to do this, but it's pretty easy, provided you have either a multitool or the properly sized allen wrench.

Yes! LBS always. I've never bought things online, but I wanted to be prepared for having to buy shoes online if I couldn't find them around here. I'm kind of doubting the place I go to usually for repairs has the type of pedal Joshua linked to in store (they're mostly a maintenance shop with a little bit for sale-they do a lot of concierge service), but I imagine I could get them to order it?

Thank you for the tips! I'd want to spend a weekend out on the bike trail near my parent's place (after spending a little while wheeling about the dead-end two house court they live on).. Which makes the last weekend in august the perfect time to try them out. Hmmmm....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:23 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Also, for what it's worth, I've never fallen in my clipless set up. I use SPDs, and I hate riding platform pedals now!

I picked up a pair of Sidi Giau women's shoes about a year ago, and I love them. I use them for road, cyclocross, and mountain bike riding. They're technically mountain/cross shoes, but I do so much city road riding I prefer to just use the spd system for that as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:03 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

lillianp wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

Yes! LBS always. I've never bought things online, but I wanted to be prepared for having to buy shoes online if I couldn't find them around here. I'm kind of doubting the place I go to usually for repairs has the type of pedal Joshua linked to in store (they're mostly a maintenance shop with a little bit for sale-they do a lot of concierge service), but I imagine I could get them to order it?

Thank you for the tips! I'd want to spend a weekend out on the bike trail near my parent's place (after spending a little while wheeling about the dead-end two house court they live on).. Which makes the last weekend in august the perfect time to try them out. Hmmmm....

You're in Boston, right? If you can't find them, try WheelWorks in Belmont. I <3 them so very very much. They're incredibly helpful all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:06 am 

zwingtip wrote:
lillianp wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

You're in Boston, right? If you can't find them, try WheelWorks in Belmont. I <3 them so very very much. They're incredibly helpful all the time.

Oooh, I like Wheelworks! They've helped me install my rear rack when I couldn't figure it out myself. (Turned out there was a missing part and stuff). Plus I can get them to install and they're only a couple miles from my parents' place so I can bike there and back. (Using the pedal-y not clip-y part. or something.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:10 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

jordanpattern wrote:
I think most clipless shoes are vegan.

agreed, off the top of my head I know mostly all of Lake's shoes use leather and a few other companies like shimano use it randomly.

if your going to be using them in the city a mtb style shoes/clipless system (spd/crank bros) are easier to walk around in and clip-in/un-clip compared to a road system.

its pretty hard the first go around finding the best shoe so definitely go to your LBS and have them tell you what would work best for your foot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:30 am 

Yeah, from what I'd been reading elsewhere, I kind of figured mountain bike/whatever clips would probably be the way to go. I also want to have some kind of platform (hence the asking about if there's a pedal that can do both) because I ride in the winter to friends' apartments and things and I may want to wear my insulated boots. Or in the summer if I don't want to carry an extra pair of shoes around when I'm going somewhere! But about 80% of my bike rides I can definitely use the clipless system and I think it'll make my rides better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 81  Next