| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2035 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:14 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Jordan, how would you rate you sitting in/drafting abilities?
Curious as to what your coach has you doing for top end power.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:26 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I'm crappy at sitting in and drafting in races! I mean, I do fine on training rides and stuff, but I never seem to be able to hang long enough in races to get into it and improve. I hope that I can gain some speed and then get in good practise sitting in at a local weekday circuit race series that happens here.

I just started working with this coach, and I've been injured for much of this month, but she's got me doing lots of intervals. Today's workout is 4x5 minute intervals at Z4. I'm doing some pyramid intervals next week. I'm also just riding a lot. I'm doing a 40 mile race on Saturday and a 117 mile gran fondo on Sunday. If I survive, I'll have accumulated some pretty significant training stress, which will hopefully help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:08 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

What kind of injury did you have?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:28 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I crashed at a race and forked up my hip and thumb. :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:34 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh no! Like broken? Or it just needs rehab?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:04 pm 

Yah im there with you on being as efficient as I need to be in the pack. About how long are you able to hang before going off the back? Also are we talking road races or crits?

Ive always wanted to get into the interval game, just never have. Yow, have fun! That’s a good amount of miles for a weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:21 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I had a big weekend!

I raced the Eugene Roubaix, a 28 mile (too short!) mixed terrain race in Eugene, OR... AND I DIDN'T GET DROPPED! After a bunch of bad races, I went into this one with REALLY low expectations (like, try to stay with the pack for 15 minutes). I lined up behind a teammate and planned to just suck her wheel as long as I could, but I got pushed off by another girl as we rounded a corner. I was feeling pretty good, so I just hung out in the pack and kind of waited to get dropped. We hit the gravel, and I felt good and had no trouble keeping up. We dropped a bunch of girls who weren't comfortable riding it. Then we hit the hill, and though I almost dropped my chain, I was one of the first three up. I lost some spots on the descent and the super sharp left hand turn at the bottom but managed to hold on with the pack, while two of my teammates and one other girl broke away. The chase group took kind of a slow pace for the next several miles, which allowed me to calm down and realize that I could probably hang through the race. We eventually caught the break and we just all rode as a group, popping some girls off the back. On the second lap, I still made good time up the hill but for some reason felt SUPER sketched out by the sharp left at the bottom of the descent and got gapped. The follow car passed me. I figured I was still feeling pretty good, so I booked it up another little hill and ended up catching the group again. Unfortunately, that pretty much took all my matches, so though I finished with the group, I had even less sprint than usual. I finished 9th, out of 18 or 20, I think. I was really, really happy to have hung with the pack the whole time. Also, one teammate got second (she is a crazy sprinter), one got fourth, and the other got eighth, so that's rad.

The next day, I did the Willamette Gran Fondo, which is 100 miles and about 7,000 feet of climbing. My total moving time was 6:02, which makes it my fastest ever century, and also the one with the most climbing, so I'm pretty stoked.

My team's Cat 4 squad after the Eugene Roubix

Our Gran Fondo squad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:27 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

You are a machine! Nice peddling and congrats on your progress!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:48 pm 

Congrats on making it to the sprint! Not always an easy task in a road race. As far as downhills go, im with you. I don’t like high speed downhill tight corners in a pack. Too many sketchy folks usually for my liking. I do like the idea of having mixed terrain in RRs. Makes things a lot more colorful.

6hrs is wicked fast for 100mi w 7k of climbing! especially after a race the day before. Keep racking up weekend miles like that and youll have all the legs/lungs you need.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:34 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I hit my kneecap in the woods like a week ago and it's bad enough that I still can't ride and I missed a race yesterday. I'm starting to freak out that my fitness will go away and i'll gain weight plus I have too much unused energy.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:45 pm 

thats a bummer! i assume you cant run on it? have anywhere cloe by to swim laps?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:39 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Just discovered Geekhouse bikes located here in Boston. I'm now in love with their touring frame and want it for my own. The frame itself is $1500 and if I have them put my whole bike together it'd be $3500. I'm starting a bike savings fund for this! I think it or something like it might be my dream bike. I'm not a racer, though I'd like to be fast on my bike and I do ride in clipless a lot. I use it to commute and I'd like to bike long distances more often in the future. My bike can handle it but it's a crappy cheap bike and it'd be really nice to have a bike custom built to me!

http://www.geekhousebikes.com/bikes/touring/

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:22 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Those look very nice L. I would love a custom bike some day. My next bike will be a mountain bike, but that's a little ways down the road. There are some great women's mountain biking groups out here but right now I don't have the bike/skills to join.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:47 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm looking for suggestions for a vegan bike saddle please! I have a Claud Butler Explorer 100 (men's as I am pretty tall) which I bought before I was vegan-aware of such things. It has a "velo solacium" saddle (whatever that means) which I'm pretty sure is made from leather from the look and texture, and it makes me feel uncomfortable having it on the bike.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:21 pm 
Nailed to the V

Is anyone doing cyclofemme this Sunday in pdx (or in their town)?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:05 pm 

lillianp wrote:
Just discovered Geekhouse bikes located here in Boston. I'm now in love with their touring frame and want it for my own. The frame itself is $1500 and if I have them put my whole bike together it'd be $3500. I'm starting a bike savings fund for this! I think it or something like it might be my dream bike. I'm not a racer, though I'd like to be fast on my bike and I do ride in clipless a lot. I use it to commute and I'd like to bike long distances more often in the future. My bike can handle it but it's a crappy cheap bike and it'd be really nice to have a bike custom built to me!

They make some really cool looking bikes. Ive never got an opportunity to actually ride one yet though. Do you have a touring frame now as your commuter? Not to say you shouldnt go custom, but you can usually get the same quality bike off the shelf for ALOT less unless. Most people go custom if they have really odd body geometry or just really want a sweet custom frame that you wont see everywhere.

Imogen wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions for a vegan bike saddle please! I have a Claud Butler Explorer 100 (men's as I am pretty tall) which I bought before I was vegan-aware of such things. It has a "velo solacium" saddle (whatever that means) which I'm pretty sure is made from leather from the look and texture, and it makes me feel uncomfortable having it on the bike.

Most saddles are non-leather. I dont know anything about those saddles specifically, but id assume a bike at that pricepoint would use a non-leather saddle as theyre much cheaper. If your looking for a new saddle go to your local bike shop and have them fit you for one since everyones sit bones are different widths. You can also measure this at home if you want.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:23 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Eric. wrote:
Most saddles are non-leather. I dont know anything about those saddles specifically, but id assume a bike at that pricepoint would use a non-leather saddle as theyre much cheaper. If your looking for a new saddle go to your local bike shop and have them fit you for one since everyones sit bones are different widths. You can also measure this at home if you want.

I've emailed the manufacturer to find out exactly what it is made from - interested to hear back, although the website said it would be up to a week before they get back to me.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:16 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

For what it's worth, Imogen, I ride a Fizik Vesta saddle. I'm not OMG SO IN LOVE with it, but it's fine, and I ride 150-200 miles per week.

Lillianp, Geekhouse bikes are forking rad. I've only gotten to tootle around a parking lot on my friend's bike, but a couple of my old teammates had geekhouse cx bikes, and they were just super awesome. If I had the scratch for a custom rad cross bike, I would seriously consider a geekhouse.

Guys, I'm on a rest week, and I'm crawling out of my skin. I'M BORED.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:37 pm 

I am saving. I have no money, but I am saving. So maybe in a year?? Or I'm thinking of saving and getting the frame/fork out of them and then used everything else and slowly upgrading as I go.....

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:53 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lillianp wrote:

Save up for it! You won't be disappointed!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:13 am 

An entire rest week? Do you do light spins or absolutely no riding?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:18 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Eric. wrote:
An entire rest week? Do you do light spins or absolutely no riding?

I do workouts, just easy ones, and less time in the saddle than I'd normally have. I am doing an FTP test tomorrow, though, so that should be "fun."

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:00 pm 

jordanpattern wrote:

Guys, I'm on a rest week, and I'm crawling out of my skin. I'M BORED.

Ha! I'm on crutches and aching to get on my bike. ACHING. Probably 3-4 weeks to go, but I may be able to ride, with my boot on, on a stationary starting next week. Cross fingers please!

Crutches have definitely fast-paced my plan to get stronger in my upper body, so that is a plus. Other stuff; I'm just trying to remain as zen as possible about the whole thing. I'm learning patience. It's a good lesson.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:27 pm 

~sz, I saw someone riding with a walking boot on yesterday or the day before. I sent mental kudos for being hardcore to her.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:37 pm 

Lillianp that is awesome! My spirits just went up several notches! (I've already visualized myself doing it and now I know it can be done!)

Thank you :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2035 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 82  Next