| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:21 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

jordanpattern wrote:
Eric. wrote:
An entire rest week? Do you do light spins or absolutely no riding?

I do workouts, just easy ones, and less time in the saddle than I'd normally have. I am doing an FTP test tomorrow, though, so that should be "fun."

let us know how it goes. 20minutes?

~Sz wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

Guys, I'm on a rest week, and I'm crawling out of my skin. I'M BORED.

Ha! I'm on crutches and aching to get on my bike. ACHING. Probably 3-4 weeks to go, but I may be able to ride, with my boot on, on a stationary starting next week. Cross fingers please!

Ahh what happened? Never fun to be off the bike when its just starting to get nice!!

Have a Crit planned for Sunday, game plan is to not crash :D

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:58 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Eric. wrote:

Ahh what happened? Never fun to be off the bike when its just starting to get nice!!

Oh, a little skiing mishap that resulted in the installation of some pins and a plate in my lower leg. Total bummer for exactly the reason you mention, the weather is starting to get awesome. It's going to be weird, too, because my good leg is really strong from all the hopping and crutching, and on the bike I may end up compensating for the other leg. It will be interesting to observe. I have to get that other leg back! I'm working the quads, doing lifts, but that's about it. Calf has shrunken noticeably.

Quote:
Have a Crit planned for Sunday, game plan is to not crash :D

Good luck and definitely keep the rubber side down! Have fun!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:55 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Man, sorry to hear it, Sz!

My FTP test went okay yesterday, I think. I did it up a long gravel climb that I enjoy, and I felt like I was going to have a heart attack for the first 10 minutes. I could definitely feel that it was my heart/lungs that was the limiter rather than my legs. I sent the power files to my coach, so I'm hoping to see some gains since my last one.

I'm doing a circuit race tomorrow that apparently features lots of rolling climbs/descents, so my goal will be to hang on and maybe hurt a couple people on the climbs, if any are long enough.

Good luck on your crit, Eric!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I got a new bike!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:46 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

^rad! what'd you get?

I ate shiitake into the side of a turning car today. I feel like a dick because I probably should be able to avoid that, but at the same time they were (so so so) in the wrong. I left a decent dent in the side of their car with my head though, that she threatened that I'd have to pay for until her brother talked her down, knowing full well that her case has no chance if she sought legal action

it's a few hours later now and I'm really feeling it. buh.

bike is totally fine though, besides needing new bar tape.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:21 pm 

Yahoo, Fupa, go ride her and ride her well!

Jopa: Thank you! Good luck on tomorrow's race and hang on!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:22 pm 

Oh man, Joshua -- total bummer. Are you OK? Should you get yourself checked out?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:37 pm 

I'm totally fine. I need new bartape, and probably will get a new lid (it took a fair amount of impact). I just had a police bloke here to take a report - he ran the plates and got me all of her details. I don't think I'll need to actually do anything with it, but having a report seems like the wise thing to do

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:52 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Josh, go on the DMV website, and print out the accident report and send it in. You have to do this within 48 hours of the accident, or you forfeit certain rights to claim damages if you need to do so in the future. I know you seem okay and everything, but make sure to do this, since sometimes injuries from these types of collisions can take a long time to show up.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:52 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Also, I'm glad you're mostly okay!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:12 am 

jordanpattern wrote:
Josh, go on the DMV website, and print out the accident report and send it in. You have to do this within 48 hours of the accident, or you forfeit certain rights to claim damages if you need to do so in the future. I know you seem okay and everything, but make sure to do this, since sometimes injuries from these types of collisions can take a long time to show up.

yep, on it. I have the paper version of the same thing. I'm gonna at least claim the costs of a new lid because I found a fracture in it around the point of impact.

and yeah, even for my own travel insurance I need some kind of incident number. so I'm doing that for sure.

hrm, online submission sounds easier than in person though. I'll do that! thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:07 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i am glad you are ok! what is a lid?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:24 am 
Not NOT A Furry

some people call helmets lids. so, lid=helmet.

i'm in the process of building a new MTB, and getting rid of the 3 i currently have. but it's annoying me!
i've got fork, wheels, brakes, tyres, bar, stem, saddle and that's about all.
next up is the frame (titus el guapo), then i need to get drivetrain, seatpost (i may get a dropper post but i'm not sure i really need one), headset and other bits of finishing kit.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:28 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

why is it annoying you? i'm looking at new mtb too but there is too much out there in the world.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:36 am 
Not NOT A Furry

that's one of the reasons it's annoying me!
it's taking ages to actually decide what spec to build it (i've finally gone with new SLX brakes with icetech rotors, mostly SLX drivetrain with XT cassette (and going 2x10speed i think). and the frame hasn't been without its issues too due to some QC oddities on the latest batch that they've had made, but i know the frame designer and he's assured me that they've a few left in my size that are correct.
i'm sticking with 26" wheels too, despite a sudden huge industry surge towards 650b and 29ers...

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:16 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

yeah i can understand that then.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:36 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I need to learn more about all these words so when it comes to building my bike I'll know what I want! Guess I'll learn as I go, right?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:27 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I am suddenly wanting a mtb again. Someone in town is selling a pretty nice looking Santa Cruz Juliana for $1500 (complete), but I can't buy it now because all my savings are probably going to go to the deposit on the apartment my boyfriend and I are hoping to get. Oh well.

I'm racing a 33 mile circuit race today. I'm trying to keep the expectations low, and hoping the rain holds off until I'm done!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:14 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

So, I raced the second Banana Belt race, an 11-mile circuit around a pretty lake, with 750 feet of climbing per lap. I was STRESSED because my ride was super late, and I barely had time to register, let alone get in a warmup. Luckily, the course was climby enough that I was able to keep up and even sort of recover on the climbs, while drilling it super hard to almost keep up on the descents. I realized that if I could up my descent game and at least keep my spot or stay in the front 2/3 of the pack, I could be a threat with the ground I tend to make up when road tilts up. As it is, I get tired catching back up after descents, rather than popping people off the back or attacking on the climbs. I definitely did a lot better than I usually do, though, so that's encouraging.

I stayed with the pack for 2 2/3 laps, and then got gapped after a descent. I fought hard and caught back up... just in time for a massive attack, so I got gapped again. I finished about 100 feet behind the pack, so I'll take it! Also, I did the entire final lap in my big ring. I'm doing the same race next weekend, and I think I'm just going to do the whole damn thing in the big ring. Because I can.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:58 pm 

Joshua, definitely a new helmet! Even after a small fall the helmet's protective ability is compromised and it sounds like this was more than that. I still can't believe the attitude of that driver!

Jordan -- you go! I love big ring triumphs. It's so great to get strong like that. Your race sounds like it was great.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:41 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

~Sz: argh that sucks. surgeries such a pain. when do you think youll be back on the bike?

joshua: sorry to hear about the incident! Glad all is well though and I agree that a new lid is well worth it after a crash like that!

I feel like MTBs are much trickier than building a roadie/cx bike. So many frames to choose from, wheel size, forks, and so many different levels of parts! Any thoughts on the new clutch rear derailleur’s?>

jordan: congrats on the race! How many people do you usually have in the road races in the NW? Im a bit jealous of all the elevation and road racing you all have. Good luck next week as well. Hopefully doing the course again will give you a bit more confidence on the downhills so you don’t have to work as hard latching back on.

Crit went alright this weekend. After a few breaks that never stuck I ended up at the pointy end of the stick way too early on last lap and scrambled to get back on the sprint train before the last turn. Did find a GoPro video from someone else for a change. Im in the gray/white/orange skin suit on the Giant ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:40 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Eric. wrote:
Any thoughts on the new clutch rear derailleur’s?

i'm planning on finding out with this new build!
i'm going with a medium cage SLX shadow+ mech, it's got a clutch on it with internals identical to that on the XT one but for about 2/3 of the price.
tbh i don't lose my chain very often anyway but a little extra security won't harm, i figured.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:00 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Eric. wrote:

jordan: congrats on the race! How many people do you usually have in the road races in the NW? Im a bit jealous of all the elevation and road racing you all have. Good luck next week as well. Hopefully doing the course again will give you a bit more confidence on the downhills so you don’t have to work as hard latching back on.

Yeah, I'm hoping to drill it even more on the descents this time and hopefully do some damage on the climbs.

We usually have 20 - 30 cat 4 women in a field. This race, I think we had 22 or 23, but only 19 or 20 finished, it appears. The cat 4 men's fields often have 50 - 60 people. My boyfriend came in 7th in our local weekly circuit race (held on the car racing course near our house) out of a field of 65, which was pretty rad. You should come out and do a couple races out here!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:52 pm 

heh, I just got a call from the other party's insurance company.

them: "our client says you ran into her vehicle leaving damage, is this correct?"
me: "well yes, it is, but she omitted that she cut across a bike lane, breaking the law, and leaving me nowhere else to go"
them: "oh, yes, she didn't mention that. I'm going to call her back now"

I'm glad she brought it to their attention. now I have a case number to claim my costs against :)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:36 pm 

Eric. wrote:
~Sz: argh that sucks. surgeries such a pain. when do you think youll be back on the bike?

Soon, soon, I hope. I get to start with a stationary, and I get to start physical therapy, so all in all, a banner day!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 81  Next