| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 83  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:48 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

PS: Gorgeous course, Eric! Nice pedaling!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:20 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

xherbivorex wrote:
i'm planning on finding out with this new build!
i'm going with a medium cage SLX shadow+ mech, it's got a clutch on it with internals identical to that on the XT one but for about 2/3 of the price.
tbh i don't lose my chain very often anyway but a little extra security won't harm, i figured.

youll have to let me know! im thinking of selling off my SRAM XX for a Type2 XO... i really hate chain slap :D

jordanpattern wrote:
Yeah, I'm hoping to drill it even more on the descents this time and hopefully do some damage on the climbs.

We usually have 20 - 30 cat 4 women in a field. This race, I think we had 22 or 23, but only 19 or 20 finished, it appears. The cat 4 men's fields often have 50 - 60 people. My boyfriend came in 7th in our local weekly circuit race (held on the car racing course near our house) out of a field of 65, which was pretty rad. You should come out and do a couple races out here!

Good, make them suffer :)

That’s a healthy side field, and very nice! Do you all have a good team presence at a lot of the races?. Is there a lot of weekly races by you? Rad! like on a bike banked oval track? Id love to make it out there for some racing one day. Im not much of a roadie, but have really wanted to come out for some cyclocross races as ive heard the NW has some pretty fun events.

~Sz wrote:
Soon, soon, I hope. I get to start with a stationary, and I get to start physical therapy, so all in all, a banner day!

Good! Itll be great to spin the legs again but its hard to take it slow.

Also im glad people are back talking on here!! Guess the nice weather helps!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:21 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

So, I didn't get dropped in my race yesterday! I was really worried about it, because last time I did it, I got gapped after one lap. It's a 1.9 mile lap around a car racetrack, so it's really awesome pavement, but it has some tight corners, and it is usually really windy. I kept my expectations low going in, with a goal of hanging on for two out of our seven laps. I found I was feeling okay, despite having raced the day before, and I was able to just tuck in behind some bigger riders and avoid the insane wind. I need to work on cornering, since I had to burn a few matches catching back up after taking some courses of sharp turns near the back and having the field string way out, but if I can get that down, I should be in good shape to do okay! Oh, and I also need to work on my sprinting, because I suck at that. I didn't come in last in the sprint, though, so that's something!

^This is a bunch of my field from the race last night. My teammates (center, facing each other) came in first and second!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:38 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

are those socks regulation?

(ps nice job! coupla more weeks and you'll be leading them out and taking the win!)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:45 pm 

Eric. wrote:

Good! Itll be great to spin the legs again but its hard to take it slow.

I know. Plus the bikes in the stable all want to be ridden!

I've been told to expect massive swelling and to use ibuprofen preventatively (I'm not a Vitamin I fan to begin with) so probably I will just start with a recumbent and go from there. I hope I can get my bike shoes on my feet to begin with! I have those Keen sandals with SPDs so I should be able to manage that.

Quote:
Also im glad people are back talking on here!! Guess the nice weather helps!

It is the best biking weather out there right now. I wanted to go up and watch Stage 1 of the Tour de Cali on Sunday, but the Mr has been grumpy about not riding and didn't want to spectate. We will both be spinning soon enough!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:25 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My bike is so BA now: it's single speed, lights, old Schwin frame-so lighter but not too light. Spring tune-ups really help! I cruise. I'll post a picture, but he's kind of looking a little ugly because I beat up the frame a lot during the winter.

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:36 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Guys, I just read some of my posts from way early in this thread, and I would like to say a big thank you to you guys for answering my MILLIONS of newbie questions! Holy crepe! I ride so much now, and bicycling has become this huge thing in my life, and looking back at the time when I didn't know anything and couldn't ride up a hill a block long is kind of awesome and kind of mortifying.

Also, I think I convinced Josh to race at the local racetrack tonight!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:25 pm 

You are awesome Jordan! Ride on!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:59 pm 

Also: Yay Josh! Photos!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:14 am 

jordanpattern wrote:
So, I didn't get dropped in my race yesterday! I was really worried about it, because last time I did it, I got gapped after one lap. It's a 1.9 mile lap around a car racetrack, so it's really awesome pavement, but it has some tight corners, and it is usually really windy. I kept my expectations low going in, with a goal of hanging on for two out of our seven laps. I found I was feeling okay, despite having raced the day before, and I was able to just tuck in behind some bigger riders and avoid the insane wind. I need to work on cornering, since I had to burn a few matches catching back up after taking some courses of sharp turns near the back and having the field string way out, but if I can get that down, I should be in good shape to do okay! Oh, and I also need to work on my sprinting, because I suck at that. I didn't come in last in the sprint, though, so that's something!

This is a bunch of my field from the race last night. My teammates (center, facing each other) came in first and second!

Congrats! What auto road course do you all race on? The back usually has that type of slinky effect when theyre tight corners as everyone but the top couple have to sprint after slowing down. Nice! Having faster teammates will make you a better cyclist SO much faster than trying to figure things out on your own.

~Sz wrote:

I know. Plus the bikes in the stable all want to be ridden!

I've been told to expect massive swelling and to use ibuprofen preventatively (I'm not a Vitamin I fan to begin with) so probably I will just start with a recumbent and go from there. I hope I can get my bike shoes on my feet to begin with! I have those Keen sandals with SPDs so I should be able to manage that.

Haha I bet. Probably feel neglected by now. Ive always wanted to try out those sandals… people swear by them for winter commutting…!

sarahnorine wrote:
My bike is so BA now: it's single speed, lights, old Schwin frame-so lighter but not too light. Spring tune-ups really help! I cruise. I'll post a picture, but he's kind of looking a little ugly because I beat up the frame a lot during the winter.

A frame is never ‘ too light’ ;)

Going on a few day MTB/Camping trip this weekend with a bunch of people. Excited to get some more mtb miles in!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:00 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Anyone watching the Giro and/or the Tour of California? A friend of mine is in the women's TT today!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:14 pm 

overslept for the Giro today, but Wiggins and Hesjedal out? nuts!

is the women's race streamed online anywhere?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:21 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I believe the TT is going to be on the Amgen Tour Tracker thing. It starts at 12:45. Brie Walle is my buddy, riding for Optum. I'm rooting for her so hard!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:55 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Im getting paid to ride a tandem! We also have a 3 person tandem in stock.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:05 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/05/ ... ing_287331

:(

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I rode this amazing co-motion tandem with the rep today and it was awesome! nothing like passing single bikes going uphill! he said i was a "strong stoker"!!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:06 am 

jordanpattern wrote:
Anyone watching the Giro and/or the Tour of California? A friend of mine is in the women's TT today!

Im a bit behind from being away all weekend but downloaded stages from both last night. Howd your friend do?

Getting paid to ride a tandem eh? I saw quite a few mtb tandems on the trails this weekend... NUTS!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:42 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Can we talk about cold weather gear again?

It's apparently second winter here in Portland. It's 45 and raining, and it makes it too cold to really ride around in what I have. Over the real winter, I invested in a Rapha soft shell jacket, a nice rain jacket, two pairs of warm gloves, some insulated & somewhat windproof tights (with chamois), and a really warm long-sleeved and windproof jersey. I like all of these pieces, but I am realizing that I need some more gear, both for actual spandex workouts and for casual riding around the city:

Warm socks
Shoes (not clipless cycling shoes - just shoes I can ride my grocery getter with that won't get soaked and freeze my feet)
Liner gloves
Base layers (both tops and bottoms)
Neck warmer

Any of you have any of these things you'd recommend? Cheap is good, but I'm willing to spend money for good pieces.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:27 pm 

Are we talking pouring rain or just constant drizzle?

Socks:I have a couple pairs of synthetic Wigwam socks. If you don’t need them for cycling shoes then you can go as thick as you need.
Pants: Id go with hardshell waterproof rain pants. Fit is pretty key for rain pants for me and I really didn’t like the bulk/fit of the showers pass ive tried. I just picked up a pair off TheClymb for ~$30. Not a super baggy fit, really packable, and taped seams.
Shoes: Rubber boots are cheap and easy. If its only for the cold size up to fit thick socks
Glove liners: Anything synthetic works well and you can usually find them cheap this time of year.
Base Layers: I really like Under Armour. They have a few different fits, compression (ie spandex), and fitted (that’s a tad looser) with a few different weights for temperature.
Neck Warmer: If its cold I usually run a thin scruff. Scarfs are cool/euro as well.

If youre talking about training in 45deg rain that’s a tougher one. Id go with some embro though. If youre out for long enough youll eventually be wet from the inside or out.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:15 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Kind of both. I will not do long training rides in real rain, but since my bike is my main form of transportation, I will have to ride in it sometimes.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've been looking at socks for an HOUR, and everything either has wool in it, or has NO indication about how warm it is. The synthetic Swiftwick stuff looks interesting, but again, no real indication of how warm it is, so I'm hesitant to pull the trigger: http://www.swiftwick.com/synthetic-socks-32-ctg.htm

I've got a Craft base layer that I loooove, but it appears it's been discontinued, and the options they have now are either overkill (windstopper front panel and $125) or not as warm.

I'm thinking about rubber boots for shoes, but I'm honestly worried they'd just get water down in them and still be miserable. Maybe that fear is unfounded?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:41 pm 

I have a love / hate thing with Under Armour; it keeps me warm but then when I sweat, I get clammy. I think the whole wicking thing breaks down due to the bra-wearing. I suppose if I could find a bra that truly wicks then I would be OK. As it is, UA just makes me feel cold once I stop exerting.

As for socks, I can't help. I have pre-gan smartwool socks that I hope will last forever because they are the very best for keeping my feet warm under all conditions.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:45 pm 

just gonna add, the windstopper Craft base I have is super turbo awesome

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:52 am 

Im with you on that. I don’t ever train in those type of conditions but will commute to work in them.

Socks are a really tough one. Mostly everything made for warmth has wool in them. I havnt used sock liners since I was a kid but that could be something to try as well.

Yah $125 is a bit steep for multiples of a baselayer. I have a Gore windstopper baselayer but Im not sure if I like it yet.

As for the rubber boots you need to make sure you have a pair of long enough rain paints that don’t go above the top of the boot at the bottom of your pedal stroke. Now finding a ‘fitted’ pair of rain pants that are long enough, not supper baggy, and have the right waist is a toughy!

Hmm never thought much of bra materials… are they usually synthetic? Yah if you have to stop to do anything and start back up again its always brutal! I always have a backup shell/vest incase of mechanical.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:16 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I just bought a Cannondale SuperX Frame. I AM EXCITE.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:36 am 

Rad! full build or just a frame? We just picked them up this year.. hoping a SuperSix is in my future sometime soon.

not sure how these rain pants are but cheap and taped seams: http://www.backcountry.com/castelli-pio ... -pant-mens

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 83  Next