| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 78  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:14 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Thanks, Eric. I just bought the frame, so now I need to buy fork, wheels (going to do some Stan's tubeless so I can run 15 psi!), and a group (SRAM Force, probably). I decided my cross bike was most in need of replacement, but I'll hopefully be able to afford a supersix next year, since my Caad10 is, as my bike mechanic boyfriend says, "pretty hammered."

As for the pants, they look great, but I can't wear men's stuff. That's the other big complicating factor for me: finding stuff that's small enough is tough. I'm actually looking at kids' sizes right now. :(

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:15 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Oh, and here's a picture of me from this last Monday's race. Note that I'm not at the very back!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:31 pm 
Tofu Pup

i feel like i'm losing power this season. i've been vegan since january. could there be something i'm missing? i know this is really broad. but does anyone have any general advice for someone switching over to veganism. my skin has been dry, but it's been cold. i'm definitely at a normal weight. i do ultra distance events. (200 miles on average although i'm hoping to increase.)

thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:41 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

do you mean anything specific with 'power'? like, power during a burst during a sprint? or a sustained power output on climbs? etc

(but in answer to your question: no idea, really. I have what works for me, but I honestly noticed almost zero athletic difference between omni->veg->vegan so I didn't spend too much time analysing it)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:10 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

First, do you train with a power meter? That's really the only way to know for sure whether you're actually losing power. It's very easy to feel like you're not making progress or even backsliding when you're relying solely on your perceived effort (or even metrics like speed or heart rate) when in fact you're making progress. Are you following a training plan? Are you racing?

Your problems sound like it's possible that they are from a lack of adequate calories, rather than your newish vegan diet, per se. If you're not tracking your food, maybe give it a try to make sure you're getting in enough. There are some great books out there on nutrition and even sports nutrition for vegans, so I'd suggest maybe taking a look at Vegan For Life by Ginny Messina, and also the Thrive books by Brendan Brazier. If you're missing something from your diet, I imagine you'll get an idea what from those.

Otherwise, keep working, and be consistent, and feel free to ask if you have more specific questions!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:53 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks! I don't use a power meter. I do use a heart rate monitor though. (I realize that heart rate data lags behind power data.) I do race ultra events and seem to be bonking earlier and dealing with more dehydration. The solution seems pretty self-explanatory, but a large part of there oblem seems to be inability to digest enough. I use cytomax, but am going to switch to hammer. I feel like I'm having a hard time keeping up with other riders, and I did terribly at my last two races. It seems to be a problem with both strength and endurance. I'm definitely going to check out those books. Hopefully I'll find something there. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:02 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I also just finished "Eat and Run" by ultramarathoner Scott Jurek, who is vegan. He talks a lot in that book about what kind of stuff he eats. I found it really helpful and inspirational.

Again, sounds like you need more calories. I don't do ultra distances, but I can do a pretty hilly century in 6 hours (not a terrible time for a woman). I find as long as I'm getting adequate calories, my nutrition is not really any different than anyone else's. Things I eat on long rides include Dave's Killer Bread Sin Dawgs, pb&j sandwiches, larabars, probars (these are great - 400ish calories per bar), bobo's oat bars (also 400ish per bar), and lots and lots of clif shot bloks.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:25 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks. I checked out the Dave's Killer Breads and bobo's oat bars. I usually make my own low-fat oatmeal cookies to take to races and put in lots of ginger to help my stomach. I've done 200 miles on cytomax/gu and with maybe two granola bars, chai and a coffee. I felt great the next day. For what it's worth, I try to replace 10 calories/mile but I might up that to 15/mile for longer events. (I'm small, I burn about 25 calories/mile.) I always eat oatmeal for breakfast with some coffee, then I focus on carbs for the first 160 at which point, I try take in some protein, followed by more carbs. When the temp is below 45 and or above 75, I drink more water.

What kind of races do you do? Are you on a team?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:47 pm 
Hail Seitan!

Thanks, Eric. I just bought the frame, so now I need to buy fork, wheels (going to do some Stan's tubeless so I can run 15 psi!), and a group (SRAM Force, probably). I decided my cross bike was most in need of replacement, but I'll hopefully be able to afford a supersix next year, since my Caad10 is, as my bike mechanic boyfriend says, "pretty hammered."

As for the pants, they look great, but I can't wear men's stuff. That's the other big complicating factor for me: finding stuff that's small enough is tough. I'm actually looking at kids' sizes right now. :(

That should be a fun build. Haha nice! I picked up some Alpha 400s a few months back that ive been commuting/training on the road with for now. Don’t think ill use them on my race but probably on the pit bike. Leaning any way on tires? Need to do some homework on what the new tires are for this season. Ive heard good things about the Victoria tubeless ready tires…

vlitzne wrote:
i feel like i'm losing power this season. i've been vegan since january. could there be something i'm missing? i know this is really broad. but does anyone have any general advice for someone switching over to veganism. my skin has been dry, but it's been cold. i'm definitely at a normal weight. i do ultra distance events. (200 miles on average although i'm hoping to increase.)

thanks for your help!

vlitzne wrote:
Thanks. I checked out the Dave's Killer Breads and bobo's oat bars. I usually make my own low-fat oatmeal cookies to take to races and put in lots of ginger to help my stomach. I've done 200 miles on cytomax/gu and with maybe two granola bars, chai and a coffee. I felt great the next day. For what it's worth, I try to replace 10 calories/mile but I might up that to 15/mile for longer events. (I'm small, I burn about 25 calories/mile.) I always eat oatmeal for breakfast with some coffee, then I focus on carbs for the first 160 at which point, I try take in some protein, followed by more carbs. When the temp is below 45 and or above 75, I drink more water.

What kind of races do you do? Are you on a team?

Do you have any food logs or rough idea about calories in before you went vegan and now? Any max power tests or anything like that? Anything in your life (other than diet) change since you felt like your power was going down? If there really is an issue it could be pretty hard to pinpoint unfortunately.

I don’t do that many ultra cycling events but ive done a handful of 400mi races before so ive looked into fueling for endurance events a small bit. Everyone is quite different fueling wise, but for long races like that most people seem to agree that burning fat rather than quick burning sugars like gu’s are the way to go. Ive listened to the developer of Hammer (whos big into endurance events) talk about his thoughts and products. Ill try to dig that podcast up. 25 cal/mile seems pretty low. Howd you figure out that number? What kind of speeds are you avg for 200miles?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:29 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Vlitzne, I race road and cyclocross. Most of my road races are relatively short because I'm a Cat 4 woman, but I'm doing my first stage race in June, which will make for a 250-mile weekend, I think.

I'm with Eric that 25 calories per mile sounds a bit low, largely because that formula doesn't account for miles that take longer but are more taxing (climbing) or miles that are simply more taxing (faster/harder). For me, it works well to eat by time, rather than distance. On long, taxing rides, I try to eat every 20 minutes or so while riding, and take in larger amounts of calories at rest stops.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:08 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I did my first crit today! It was a super non-technical one, so that was nice. The field was also small, so really, it felt a lot like the circuit races I've been doing at the racetrack, but still, this one was a crit. I came in almost last, but stayed with the field. I think I could have gotten a better result, but I got boxed in and couldn't move up when I wanted, and I don't have much of a sprint.

I'm doing an uphill TT next weekend, and I'm now nervous as hell.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:31 am 
Hail Seitan!

Nice! Crits are an acquired taste it seems but finishing with the pack on your first go is a huge achievement. Most of them are more about strategy then anything else, as most people can sit in for X amount of miles. Figuring out what breaks could go, whos wheel to be on, and when to get into position are the tough ones.

How longs the TT? Those things are the worst kinda cycling… all pain! haha, have fun

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:59 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Racing BMX tonight!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:58 am 
Hail Seitan!

you race bmx too?>

did my first grandfondo/charity ride with my company sunday and was blown away by how terrifying it was. I dont think ive ever seen more crashes in my life.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:27 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Eric. wrote:
you race bmx too?>

did my first grandfondo/charity ride with my company sunday and was blown away by how terrifying it was. I dont think ive ever seen more crashes in my life.

Man, my team did a gran fondo a couple months ago, and holy shiitake was it terrifying before the "pack" blew apart.

I did a hill climb (12 miles, 3,500 feet) on Saturday and a team time trial on Sunday. I was super, super, super disappointed at my hill climb performance, but okay with the TTT. My team came in second, which I think is pretty good, particularly considering that none of us had TT bikes, and the only aero equipment we had between the four of us was two sets of clip on aero bars. The team who beat us all had aero gear, and only won by about 90 seconds on a 24 mile course, so, I'm pretty pleased.

I really need to figure out a way to stay posi when my results aren't good. I was so insanely bummed out after the hill climb, and I just couldn't snap out of it. I feel like a huge jerk, since I'm sure I came across as resentful to my teammates, who all podiumed. That's totally not how I was actually feeling, but yeah, I feel like a dick today, after getting some distance from it. Seriously considering getting a PMA tattoo because I obviously need the permanent reminder.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:50 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

yeah pretty much everything except track and downhill i think? but i am going downhilling soon! going to rent a bike and shred! and i'm sure i'll be able to do a track race at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:16 pm 
Hail Seitan!

Haha yah! Those rides are nuts :D

Have you done a lot of hill climb TTs before?

Do you usually get bummed out after a shitty race or was this a one time thing?

fupapack wrote:
yeah pretty much everything except track and downhill i think? but i am going downhilling soon! going to rent a bike and shred! and i'm sure i'll be able to do a track race at some point.

Nice. Always wish I raced bmx as a kid. Guess I missed out. Have fun on the DH stuff! Wild stuff for sure.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:38 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Eric. wrote:

Have you done a lot of hill climb TTs before?

Do you usually get bummed out after a shitty race or was this a one time thing?

I had one incidence of serious bummage after having three or four bad races in a row. After that, I seriously lowered my expectations, and ended up getting better results. Rationally, I know that I've only been road racing for 3 months, and that I'm doing pretty well for someone with my limited experience. Emotionally, I feel like I work hard (which I really do) and should do better. I guess I also get a bit jealous of my teammates, most of whom are more experienced than me and tend to get good results almost every race. I hate that I feel that way, but I can't seem to help it.

This was my first hill climb TT and my second TT ever. I know, rationally, that I shouldn't be upset about my result. I had hoped to ride faster, but I didn't miss my goal by THAT much, and the fact that I can climb for 12 miles straight is pretty good, considering I have never done it before. Still, when I finished, I was so embarrassed of my result, and just felt like the shitty person on the team (since the three teammates who did it all got on the podium). I so wanted to finally be GOOD at something instead of okay, and it just put me in a funk. I'm mostly over it now, but I feel like a jerk for feeling so negative at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:50 am 
Hail Seitan!

I havnt done slews of road events myself, but feel like road racing compared to CX & MTB racing is more strategy than anything else. Of course you need to have the legs to sit in but its about knowing the course, the racers, and when or when not to expend energy. I have also noticed that the women’s races have a large delta in abilities with some racers being much, much stronger than others. What do you usually race on the road a 3/4? Honestly racing on the road for 3 months is such a small amount of time that even being able to stay with the pack the entire race is a great start. Plenty of people cant even do that at all in their 1st year.

As for TTs… theyre another beast. Unless you train for TTs its hard not to blow up mid way through or have way too much energy when you’re done. You pretty much need a power meter and know what kind of watts you can put out for X amount of time or have done a slew of them to know your body well enough. I don’t think its bad to be hard on yourself as long as it helps you become stronger, but don’t let it get you down by comparing yourself to your teammates who it sounds like have a good deal more experience than you. Honestly it sounds like you’ve been putting in way more miles and racing a ton more than before which will translate into being much stronger for cross this year. Just make sure you don’t burn yourself out before the real racing starts :D

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:37 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Yeah, I definitely feel better about things now that I've got some distance. It's just hard to be happy and normal right after I finish a race I'm disappointed in, and I feel like a dick for not being able to just be happy with whatever I've done at the time. I mean, it's understandable that a person would be emotional after putting in a really draining physical effort, but I still don't like that I can't just suck it up and all that.

I actually do use a power meter, and used it for both races this weekend. Maybe I need to do another FTP test, because I rode the hill climb at about 160 watts the whole way (about my threshold), and I felt like I had more in the tank at the end...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:46 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I raced a dude's race today! I got dropped halfway through, but I'm pretty pleased. My goal was to go out and go super hard, and I definitely did that - I almost barfed right after I got dropped, and my legs were all shaky when I finished. I didn't come in last or get dropped first either.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:49 pm 
Hail Seitan!

Yah its tough. For progression setting goals and being disappointed is better than doing poorly and not caring. As long as you feel like & your numbers show youre getting stronger than all things are good.

Ohh didn’t know you had a PM! Guess that’s kinda needed these days with a coach. Im a bit jealous :D

Nice! Training with faster people is always a great thing. The blowing up off the back to throat up routine is always fun as well!!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yesterday I did a metric century for the first time in probably a year and a half, maybe two years. And it was awesome! I felt great at the end and only two weeks before I did 50 miles that made me want to die. It was one of those gloriously perfect days with no wind, enough cloud cover so the sun wasn't blazing, and an ipod full of podcasts (I only use it when on trails, never on the road).

I was lucky it was so nice because tons of other people were out and when I flatted and my pump wasn't working someone else stopped and had a hand pump and I was ready to go in five minutes. Seriously, days like that make me love love love cycling. The mountain scenery and wildlife doesn't hurt either (I saw a mama turkey and all her babies, plus dozens of prairie dogs).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:59 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

OMG baby turkeys!!!

This is going to be a mostly quiet week for me, cycling wise... because I'm going to be racing over 200 miles this coming weekend. I'm insane and signed up for the Baker City Cycling Classic: http://www.bakercitycycling.org/BCCC/Home.html

Stage 1 is a 72 mile road race.
Stage 2 is a 10 mile time trial.
Stage 3 is a criterium.
Stage 4 is a 100 mile road race.

My goal is just to finish. I don't want to hope for much else. However, I'm very interested to see how I do in a longer race. Most of the cat 4 races here are under 40 miles, which generally isn't super great for a person like me who's not super speedy over short distances. My biggest fear is getting dropped on descents and then having to time trial the rest of the race. I'm hoping my decent climbing legs will at least help me get a bit of an advantage over the other cat 4 women, so that I'll get caught, rather than dropped when the road tilts down.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:45 pm 
Hail Seitan!

Catalina wrote:
Yesterday I did a metric century for the first time in probably a year and a half, maybe two years. And it was awesome!

Nice! Hows the riding up there? I remember it being super scenic but figured the wind could be pretty brutal up that ways.

jordanpattern wrote:
This is going to be a mostly quiet week for me, cycling wise... because I'm going to be racing over 200 miles this coming weekend. I'm insane and signed up for the Baker City Cycling Classic: http://www.bakercitycycling.org/BCCC/Home.html

Stage 1 is a 72 mile road race.
Stage 2 is a 10 mile time trial.
Stage 3 is a criterium.
Stage 4 is a 100 mile road race.

My goal is just to finish. I don't want to hope for much else. However, I'm very interested to see how I do in a longer race. Most of the cat 4 races here are under 40 miles, which generally isn't super great for a person like me who's not super speedy over short distances. My biggest fear is getting dropped on descents and then having to time trial the rest of the race. I'm hoping my decent climbing legs will at least help me get a bit of an advantage over the other cat 4 women, so that I'll get caught, rather than dropped when the road tilts down.

Thats a slew of miles! Have fun and keep it upright in the crit. Do you know the area/roads around there very well? Doesnt seem like all that much climbing the first day but im sure the 6k on the RR after 2 days will hurt. Have many teammates racing with you?

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 1940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 78  Next