| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:36 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

NEW CROSS BIKE DAY.

I'll post a proper garage door shot tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:24 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

baller! did you run tubeless last season as well? also is that a 46t??? congrats on a wicked new bike.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:54 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Tomorrow is Freedom from Pants! Woop!

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:56 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Eric. wrote:
baller! did you run tubeless last season as well? also is that a 46t??? congrats on a wicked new bike.

Sorry, I missed this earlier!

No, I didn't have tubeless last season. I'm light enough I still got away with running pretty low pressure, but I did get a few flats. For the first half of the season, I'll probably actually use tubes and my old file treads, which are kind of surprisingly awesome. I'll go tubeless for real when it gets a bit muddier, and I have to go knobby.

The chainrings on there now are actually a road compact, so 50/39. I'll probably swap it out, but I'm hoping to do a couple gravel grinders before cross starts, so I'll be wanting those 50 teeth, I think!

I also did my first stage race this past weekend! For my first one, I figured I may as well do the hardest one in Oregon - Stage 1 was a 70 mile RR, stage 2 a 10 mile TT, stage 3 a crit, and stage 4 a 100 mile RR, with an 8-mile uphill finish. Only 4 cat 4s registered, and one dropped out during the first stage (it was 100 degrees!). I came in 3rd in GC, but was only back by about 6 minutes on second place, 3:30 of which came from the TT, in which the other two girls had crazy aero gear and bikes, and I did Eddy style without so much as a skinsuit. I came in 2nd in the final stage, which I was happy with, managing to put almost 5 minutes between myself and the girl who came in 3rd on that final climb, which we started together.

Stoked!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:40 am 

sarahnorine wrote:
Tomorrow is Freedom from Pants! Woop!

whats that?

jordanpattern wrote:

Sorry, I missed this earlier!

No, I didn't have tubeless last season. I'm light enough I still got away with running pretty low pressure, but I did get a few flats. For the first half of the season, I'll probably actually use tubes and my old file treads, which are kind of surprisingly awesome. I'll go tubeless for real when it gets a bit muddier, and I have to go knobby.

The chainrings on there now are actually a road compact, so 50/39. I'll probably swap it out, but I'm hoping to do a couple gravel grinders before cross starts, so I'll be wanting those 50 teeth, I think!

I also did my first stage race this past weekend! For my first one, I figured I may as well do the hardest one in Oregon - Stage 1 was a 70 mile RR, stage 2 a 10 mile TT, stage 3 a crit, and stage 4 a 100 mile RR, with an 8-mile uphill finish. Only 4 cat 4s registered, and one dropped out during the first stage (it was 100 degrees!). I came in 3rd in GC, but was only back by about 6 minutes on second place, 3:30 of which came from the TT, in which the other two girls had crazy aero gear and bikes, and I did Eddy style without so much as a skinsuit. I came in 2nd in the final stage, which I was happy with, managing to put almost 5 minutes between myself and the girl who came in 3rd on that final climb, which we started together.

Stoked!

Ahh got yah. Im curious why you don’t mind running tubes on the filetreads but will go tubeless for the muddy races. You run pretty high psi when its dry? Gonna be setting up a tubeless setup for the misus this season so Ive been trying to gain some info.

Hah nice! My 1st cross season 2 years ago I ran a 50/34 road compact setup for cross… I didn’t know any better

Badass! I was psyched to see you get some podium action on the gram! Sounds like a wicked race especially as your first stage race. Hope you get a skinsuit soon… Its almost cross season. Hope your getting some good recovery in this week.

Havnt been racing much lately but im heading over for le Tour in a week!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:38 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

With the file treads, I'm running tubes because I like the tires I had on my old bike, which aren't tubeless. I figured since I got along fine with them during last season, I'd probably be good to run them that way again this season. I got away with running about 25 on them last year (for reference, if it's helpful, I'm 105 pounds), and I flatted once on that setup, on a particularly nasty little curb that you had to hit on the diagonal. That said, I think I did run them higher much of the time, for those dusty races on harder-packed surfaces. Basically, I'm running with tubes because I like those tires and am too cheap to buy a tubeless replica this season.

My team will be ordering skinsuits soon, so never fear!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:45 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I just got a new bike yesterday, a Surly CrossCheck because I wanted something a little sportier/roady than my hybrid city bike. OH MY GOD, I love it. It's wonderful. The frame's slightly too big technically (blah, I suck at picking the right sized bike) but not overmuch and it's starting to feel really good while biking (I did 45 miles today!). I'm still not zoomy fast as some road cyclists in full gear but I was going at a pretty darn good clip for me. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:26 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Eric. wrote:

This explains your ride from Heathrow then hahah! Enjoy it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:42 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

lillianp wrote:
I just got a new bike yesterday, a Surly CrossCheck because I wanted something a little sportier/roady than my hybrid city bike. OH MY GOD, I love it. It's wonderful. The frame's slightly too big technically (blah, I suck at picking the right sized bike) but not overmuch and it's starting to feel really good while biking (I did 45 miles today!). I'm still not zoomy fast as some road cyclists in full gear but I was going at a pretty darn good clip for me. :)

Congrats! They are such awesome bikes. Did you get a black one or the green?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:22 pm 

Katie wrote:
Eric. wrote:

This explains your ride from Heathrow then hahah! Enjoy it!

Yeah, the UK was amazing! only spent a bit of time there but even though i was thoroughly jet-lagged/hung over the 70mile ride was amazing! Im hoping to have a run down of the trip soon but I did make it to Brighton on the way back over from the Ferry to eat at VBites. Not sure how often you make it that far south but it seemed like a fun beach town.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:43 pm 
Dead by dawn

Crummy cell phone pic of my pretty new bike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:51 am 

Sweet!! what model is that?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:11 am 
Dead by dawn

Eric. wrote:

It's the Wilier Stella, which is the women's version of the Izoard XP. I've been doing triathlons on a heavy old Specialized road bike and needed something more race appropriate, but I wasn't sure I was ready for a tri bike. I will put aero bars on it at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:56 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Let's see the drive side! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:23 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Also, M-toes, I have a question for you!

Do you keep aerobars on all the time on your bikes, or do you just put them on when doing triathlons or specific course training?

My update is that I just finished a TT series, and it was brutal! I kind of refuse to buy into aero gear (I know it works, but the idea that you can purchase speed does not appeal to me), so I compete in my normal category (Women's 4), but do it Eddy style. I've given thought to competing in the women's open Eddy cat, but that's a crapshoot, since I might do super well, or I might be up against a bunch of Cat 1s who can't be bothered to put on their TT bars. Anyway, the series I did was three races, each one on the same 18-mile course. Each one had a BRUTAL headwind! I did a pretty good job, I think, of improving each time. I definitely was too conservative my first time out, and got a time of 58:58 (told you it was windy!). I emptied the tank much more on the second try, and came in at 56:55. The third time, I had a harder time with my mental game, but still got my fastest time of 56:48, despite it being the windiest of the three races.

Other than that, it's now crit season, which bums me the fork out. I hate crits. Yuck.

I'm looking forward to a final stage race in late August, and then some crazy cross action and gravel grinders! Some maniac has organized a 58 mile cyclocross TT. You start 30 seconds apart. Drafting IS allowed. There ARE barriers. I'm stoked on that, and also for the PNW's answer to the Rapha Gentleman's Ride: the Rapscallion Reacharound! http://velodirt.com/the-rapscallion-rea ... d-edition/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:23 pm 
Dead by dawn

jordanpattern wrote:
Also, M-toes, I have a question for you!

Do you keep aerobars on all the time on your bikes, or do you just put them on when doing triathlons or specific course training?

I have never used aerobars before. Most of my teammates have tri-specific bikes and it seems like the rest, who are riding road bikes, have their aero setup on there all of the time. So I dunno... we'll see I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:33 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

That's interesting! I just assume all triathletes use aerobars, so that's interesting to know someone who does badass traithlons Eddy style!

I did my weekly circuit race last night, and I came in 3rd! That's kind of huge for me! I don't know how it happened, since I was working for my friend, who was the series leader, and thus was pushed into taking massive pulls by the rest of the field. I mounted a little attack about halfway through the race to make some of the other girls, who were just sitting in, work, and that shook things up some. I then started riding to the front to pull whenever my friend was out in the wind. I pulled pretty much the entire last lap. I'm not sure how i had as much gas as I apparently did for the finish, but I'll take it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:32 am 
Dead by dawn

Nice job!

Yeah, if you take a look at a triathlon transition area you'll see the whole gamut of bikes/set-ups. At smaller local races like the last one I did a couple of weekends ago it's not uncommon to see a few mountain bikes because that's what a lot of people already have in their garages when someone goads them into doing a tri. At the half-Iron I did in Victoria my old bike was definitely scraping the bottom of the barrel. I'm pretty far from a badass but I'm trying to take steps in the general direction of badassedness. The new bike is a big one and getting myself an aero set-up will be the next one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:57 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/70921986[/vimeo]

welp, I don't know why that doesn't work. but here: Experiments in Speed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:00 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

monkeytoes wrote:
Crummy cell phone pic of my pretty new bike

Sexy!

I did a nice easy 17 mile ride today and upped my average MPH to 15. And, I am not completely wiped out. YAY progress!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:09 pm 

monkeytoes wrote:
Eric. wrote:

It's the Wilier Stella, which is the women's version of the Izoard XP. I've been doing triathlons on a heavy old Specialized road bike and needed something more race appropriate, but I wasn't sure I was ready for a tri bike. I will put aero bars on it at some point.

Nice! Ive never seen the Stella model before.

jordanpattern wrote:
Some maniac has organized a 58 mile cyclocross TT. You start 30 seconds apart. Drafting IS allowed. There ARE barriers. I'm stoked on that, and also for the PNW's answer to the Rapha Gentleman's Ride: the Rapscallion Reacharound! http://velodirt.com/the-rapscallion-rea ... d-edition/

Haha that sounds legit. love the name too

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:44 pm 

finally got a wrap up from my tour trip. a bit of a long one tho :)

http://ridethejawn.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... ance-2013/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:35 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

^tab is open to read it!

and fork yeah, Phinney drilled the ending today to take the stage. BMC is having a good post-tour tour :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:45 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Eric, that post is amazing. That whole trip looks completely mindblowingly awesome.

Do you think you could give me a ballpark of how much it cost you? I've never been to Europe, and what you did seems like pretty much the most fun way to see stuff that I can think of.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:16 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Amazeballs. Trip of a lifetime!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 82  Next