| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:31 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Eric. wrote:
is that a 650B on the front??!

jordanpattern wrote:
Eric. wrote:
I had the pleasure of someone prying my roofrack off our car few weeks back, so im looking on going the hitch route before cross season (aka asap). Any suggestions on a solid 1 ¼” 4-bike rack?

My old team was sponsored by Kuat racks, and they were pretty much the tits as far as hitch racks go.

Those things are really legit! Helped my buddy put one on a month or so back. Might be a bit out of my price range right now unless i found one used as i just picked up another CX rig and 2 sets of tubs for this season...

What did you get????

Looks like I'll have another mtb soon. My boyfriend's coworker is selling his girlfriend's Cannondale Trail 26er with lefty fork for a couple hundred bucks. Not my dream bike, but good enough to get me back out on the trails. Next year I'll think about something carbon...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:59 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

i have an issue with passing up good deals too :D Is your other mtb a 29er?

picked up a 2012 Ridley X-Night off a friend of a friend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:16 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I don't have any mtb right now! I had a 26er hardtail in SF, but it wasn't very good, and I sold it when I moved. This bike will be a bit of a step up (better fork, a bit lighter), but not a major shift. I just want to have the option of mtbing again, and I can worry about getting a nicer bike later. I test rode a sweet carbon 650b bike...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:50 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

second night on the track tonight. I'm a biiig fan. assuming the weather's okay, Friday will be my first race!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:56 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Go get 'em! I'm terrified of the track.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:05 pm 

why! it's so, so, so much fun. I am *not* at all built for most track events, but it's ridiculously awesome. and the people there have been super welcoming and positive. and you can rent track bikes there!

!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:18 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

It's the wall! Alpenrose, particularly, is terrifying!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:17 pm 

you only need to be at ~13mph to hold traction, which is nooothing. and then the faster you go, the better it feels. and when you hit it hard, it feels amaaazing.

the Wednesday intro sessions are really great. there are always* (*as in, the twice I've been there) people there that have never ridden fixed before, so they start from absolute basics. but by the end, they're ripping around with everyone else

$10, Wednesday evening. do it ;D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:12 pm 

update on track events: I am totally done. I've had pretty sore legs (after an unusually small amount of effort, what the hell?) since Wednesday. even warming up today was getting me hurting. anyway, pushed through to end 5th overall for the night..which was worse than I hoped for (wanted 4th!), but it doesn't matter at all. it was so much fun!

Jordan: come out Wednesday. I'll come out too :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:52 am 
Chard Martyr

Hey PPK bikers! I'm not a big cyclist like Jordan or Josh or anything, but could y'all with way more bike experience help me figure out what sort of bike to purchase once I have the money? I'd like to use it mostly on the road and really just for fun/exercise; no racing, no trails/mountains. I was gifted a mountain bike years ago which is okay. I've heard hybrid bikes are nice but are they super expensive? Basically I know nothing about bikes but would like to start riding a little more and any advice is helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:26 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm a commuter/around town biker (for the most part).

My first bike as an adult was a hybrid, and I didn't really like it. I felt like it tried to do too much at once, and was therefore not super great at anything. I wasn't sad when I graduated from college and sold it.

I now have a few older steel road bikes and a touring bike, and I like all of them. My favorite for daily/around town riding is probably a trek 400 elance from 1987 that is lightweight and rides really smoothly.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:31 pm 
Chard Martyr

Oops... I didn't realize there is a beginners bicycling thread! I'll go there! Thanks for the reply, pastabake!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:49 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

In less than a week, I will be replacing my 3 speed Linus Mixte with a beautiful Surly Long Haul Trucker. Let the bike touring commence! I've done two short tours/camping trips on my 3 speed, and the hills outside of Eugene are pretty brutal. Looking forward to less struggle and more hill conquering.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:33 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Mixte's are delightful and all, but you're moving in the right direction with a touring bike. Adventures!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:10 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Here's my new touring rig in progress. It's a 90's Specialized mountain bike that I'm converting to a drop bar tourer. I wanted my next touring bike to have 26" wheels for global durability and availability. I guess it's kind of a light expedition bike. The hold up I'm having right now is the baller Paul canti's I treated myself to aren't going to be compatible with the custom fork I had built, so I'm waiting on a set of Tektro's that I'm much less excited about. Out of the many bikes I've built, this is the first time I've used mostly new components, which has been really nice (I built the wheelset and everything!).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:19 am 

tofuligans wrote:
Here's my new touring rig in progress. It's a 90's Specialized mountain bike that I'm converting to a drop bar tourer. I wanted my next touring bike to have 26" wheels for global durability and availability. I guess it's kind of a light expedition bike. The hold up I'm having right now is the baller Paul canti's I treated myself to aren't going to be compatible with the custom fork I had built, so I'm waiting on a set of Tektro's that I'm much less excited about. Out of the many bikes I've built, this is the first time I've used mostly new components, which has been really nice (I built the wheelset and everything!).

Very nice! whats wrong with the Paul cantis? Could you do a nice set of TRPs instead of the tektros? Did you think about going mini-v brakes?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:38 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

The Paul cantis have a very limited amount of vertical adjustment, due to their low profile construction. In most cases this wouldn't be a problem, except the fork I had built has a fairly wide crown, which places the canti mounts wider than standard. Even with the pads maxed out vertically, the extra distance from post to rim causes the pad's travel arc to hit below the rim surface.

I received the Tektro CR720's the other day and they are actually quite nice. They are less flashy, but in the end match the aesthetics of the bike well. I looked at some options, like the TRP's or Shimano, but decided to go with a really traditional high-profile canti in the hopes I would have more adjustment to work with. Do mini-v's use long pull brake levers? I didn't want to get into buying new levers too.

I mounted the front, and everything is going to work well, pads strike nicely and there's still no interference with my rack/panniers. If I can wrangle myself some free time I should have this thing rolling in a few days!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:17 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

I got complimented on my bike handling skills today during an event ride around the bay and over the bridge. That was fun to hear! I managed to maintain 15+ mph over 27 miles, my longest ride since the leg break, so that felt awesome. I added a couple of random extra miles because I couldn't find my car, but that may have been thanks to the delicious and well earned can of New Belgium Shift at the end.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:14 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Way to go!

I'm almost done my final road race of the year. I'm just waiting on the last stage (crit) of a stage race in Eugene. I came in 4th in the opening stage hill climb (there are 19 people in my field! Crazy!), and 7th in the RR the next day. I just did the TT, which was rainy and crappy, and I don't have aero gear, so I'm hoping I don't lose much time. I was sitting at 6th in GC before the TT, and I don't know where I am now or what the TT results are.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:05 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

You'll know soon, though, right?

What's next after road season?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:11 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

No results yet! ARG! I'm having to get ready and leave in 20 minutes or so. BAH!

Also: I hate crits so much. Just hoping I have to guts to hang with the pack and not lose time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:20 pm 

tofuligans wrote:
Do mini-v's use long pull brake levers? I didn't want to get into buying new levers too.

hmm they might not work well for this application though but they use the same linear-pull as your cantis

Howd you end up int he GC jordan?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:58 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I lost a bit of time in the TT, and then lost a LOT of time by DFL-ing in the forking goddamn crit. Ugh. I came out 9th in GC.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:59 am 

what happened in the crit??

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:23 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I sucked! I don't know - partly I think it might have been that I got too cold during the TT. It was raining and windy, and I definitely felt cold while I was racing the TT, and I think that made me more fatigued for the crit than I realized. My legs just felt terrible. I got a bit sketched out by some of the other riders and fell to the back after a fairly decent start. I kept yoyoing, and I just didn't have it in me to make a move and put myself back up front like I should have. I also just hate crits SO MUCH, and it makes it really hard to go as hard as I should because I am just hating life every second I'm in a crit. Oh well.

I ended up doing one last race at the Portland International Raceway weekly series Turned out well - got in a break with 3 other girls, which stuck. Heading into the finish, everyone was slowing down trying to force each other's hands for the sprint, and I figured I wasn't going to win any sprint, so I just went for it. I exploded 100m from the finish line, but still, 4th place is not bad, and I made the other girls work for it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 81  Next