| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2040 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:26 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Katie wrote:
Sorry in advance for the moan!

I rode with my usual club in London today after a really great summer's training at my parent's in the Chiltern Hills. Pace was pretty sporty (some of the Rapha London crew came along, weeesh!) and I felt great, both in spirit and body, for the first 50 odd miles that were pretty flat. We hit some tough climbs after that and my legs just seemed to fall off completely. I feel like my climbing endurance is just awful! I guess things were compounded by the lactic build-up from the previous fast 50 miles and a half ironman last weekend. I really, really want to improve at hills this year though. Are doing hill reps my best bet or is it more a case of building on general strength/fitness/endurance more holistically?

1st, Congrats on the half! That’s badass! Do you usually struggle climbing on fresh legs or was this because you put in 50 hard miles + the half ironman? Are these long seated climbs you cant hang with or shorter punchier ones? You could always make a hill route instead of just repeats to make life a bit more fun :)

jordanpattern wrote:
Over here in Portland, cross season is officially here. I did two races this weekend, racing Women's Bs. I WAS TERRIBLE! My fitness is great right now, but man, I really, really, really struggled with all the technical stuff. I don't have anywhere near the handling/technical ability of the B women here. I think I'm going to downgrade and do some races in the Cs, because yikes. That said, there's a mid-week race series starting on Wednesday that is pretty close to my house, so I will be doing that, and trying to get in lots of weekend races, so hopefully I'll get my shiitake together fairly quickly. It's so different from road racing, and I find it much more intimidating, even though the stakes are so much lower (at least in terms of crashing, etc.).

What aspects of your technical ability do you think youre missing/need to work on? Are the courses a lot different in PDX vs CA? Id suggest not downgrading, or at least so quickly. You’ve been in road mode it seems pretty hard this season and it takes a bit of time to get into cross mode. Id suggest to practice the basics again since you have the legs... fast cornering, off-camber turning, ect. Get in some weekly practices/races then get back to weekend races and work your way up as a 3. Don’t make it all about results at first, as the competition level might be quite different than last season.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:25 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

The stuff that gives me a lot of trouble is the stuff that mountain bikers are good at: off-camber riding, particularly on loose sand or gravel, with tight turns and/or elevation changes. There was a very off-camber sandy section in yesterday's race which was just long and straight with a bunch of sand, and that was fine. But the day before, the course went through the same area, but had a 180 hairpin going up and around, with lots of loose sand. I didn't have the confidence to really even try to ride it (too afraid of falling), and then I had a lot of trouble re-mounting. There was a similar feature in yesterday's race, and it was the same deal - no confidence, so only halfhearted attempts to ride it, and then extreme awkwardness remounting on the off-camber terrain. I'm SURE I had the juice to ride at least the one yesterday, but I just couldn't make myself really go for it.

I felt like the courses this weekend were a lot more technical than in CA. Maybe I'm wrong. The categories also felt different - In Norcal, there are Cs, Bs, and As. The Cs are generally beginners, so a lot of people upgrade to Bs after they've raced for a year or so. Here, there are Beginners, Cs, Bs, and As. Most people who have been racing as long as I have race Cs. I don't know. I definitely have the fitness to hang with the Bs, but I am really out of my league, bike handling/technique wise.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:28 pm 

Hmm got yah. Racing in a different area is definitely going to be tough at first especially if the courses your use to racing had different obstacles/technical areas. On top of that Id assume a lot of the B women had raced that course in previous years making it that much easier for them.

Interesting on the difference in categories up there. Arent a lot of the PDX CX series off USAC so they can do as they please with some of that stuff? During the race were you really far off the back and not racing anyone? Or close get lapped? Also how many laps did you get in before your race? Were you able to session that off-camber sand section at least a handful of times? Do any of the weekly practices/races use similar off-camber turns and such that you could practice? Or could you find a field with something similar close by?

Either way I say stick with it in the Bs… you only will get better by training/racing at a higher level and I suspect once you get back into cross mode and get use to the PDX courses (which could take a few races) youll be doing much better in the B race.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:13 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

PDX races are all OBRA (Oregon Bicycle Racing Association) races, so we have our own categories.

You're right that the other Bs have probably raced the course before and/or are at least more familiar with the OBRA races. I was really far off the back of the Bs. I was racing with the Cs. Looking at the results, I was 2nd last, and my time/lap count would have had me around 5th place in the Cs. I got in one lap less than most of the Bs and the same amount as most of the Cs. I don't know. I'll see what my coach thinks, but since the Cs race at the same time and for the same time as the Bs, I don't see how downgrading and possibly winning a race or two could hurt. I don't think my training or racing will be any different either way, and if I find I start passing a bunch of B racers when I'm racing, I'll just go back to the Bs. I think that mentally, I'd just have more fun in the Cs until I get used to it. I was so stressed during the race, feeling like I was just so far below the level of the other racers on the technical stuff.

I tried to session the off camber bit, but I didn't have enough time to really do much on it, and honestly, there were so many people watching, I was embarrassed and just quit. I know, I know - bad form. I'm scouting to try and find stuff to practice on around here. I don't know of anything like what I was riding this weekend, but hopefully I can find some stuff and work on it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:53 am 

So you need to buy only an OBRA license or a USAC as well (assuming you race outside of OR) ?

What do they consider the Bs? Like is the C=4 and B=3/4 or something like that? Or just Beginner = 5 C=4 B=3 A=1/2? Also does any of your road team race cross as well with you? Id say to give it a few more races before you downgrade as I have a feeling once you get use to the courses you’re going to have to upgrade right back up. Now if you really aren’t having a good time then I get it, but dont downgrade if you’re going to be at the head of the C field right off the gun.

Hmm got yah. Any pictures of the setup by chance? It sounds to me like you just need to get acclimated to the scene out there a bit. Being nervous/embarrassed to try something in front of a crowd is totally normal, but id think if you were sessioning it with a few friends/teammates you would have kept going at it until you felt comfortable. I think just like mtbing, fast cornering and weird off camber turning is all about practice/confidence.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

hello kids!
i've been MIA for a bit from the PPK, just too busy with life really...

anyway, here's a nice little video compressing a lap of the first race of our 2013 season into 3 mins (i'm one of the organisers of the series), gives you a little flavour of how MTB racing is in the (normally!) cold, industrial north of england...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:29 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

first race as a cat 1!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:55 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Woohoo! Sexay! I love that yellow helmet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:53 am 

rad!! how did the extra mileage/time racing treat you vs cat2?

got to watch Page race down in Baltimore this weekend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:15 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

First decent-ish race of the season this past weekend. Race was at a farm where they'd used a bulldozer to build two big hill features. It rained and was super muddy and windy. I didn't have a great start and got stuck behind some slower girls to lose my good position early on, which was too bad, because I noticed later on that I was riding slightly faster than one of the leaders in my field. Oh well. I was majorly sketched out by a few things, but the mud turned out to be a great equalizer, and I was able to run stuff I didn't want to ride without losing much time, and I began to slowly pick people off, including a B rider or two. BF and some of my friends cheered super loud for me whenever I came by the barriers, and that was pretty awesome. My shoes (and cleats) are forking shot, though. I struggled a lot with getting clipped in after runups and barriers. All in all, a fun race. I finished 4th, which I'm pleased enough with. Starting to feel like I'm maybe getting my (albeit modest) cross legs back.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:45 pm 

Gosh that looks like fun! You go!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:35 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Charm City cx! Wish I was there. It wasn't a normal mtb race, rather a onger distance so the mileage was very diffetent. Though after a 24hr race it didn't seem so bad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:39 am 

Jordan, I think I figured out what your issue is... theres no smiling in cross!!!! :) But im glad you had a good time. i saw a couple photos from that course, looks pretty fun! especially compared to our grass-crit like races around here. Hows the tubeless game treating you?

Ahh got yah fupapack/ seems hard to know what level of intensity to ride at for longer endurance races like that sometimes. glad youre crushing souls.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:15 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

There was definitely no smiling in my race last night. Note to self: don't race in brand new cleats.

Crashed dismounting before some barriers because I couldn't clip out. Got up, kept going. Then I couldn't clip in after the barriers, rode half a lap unclipped on the right side. Looked down during a grassy section to try and get clipped in and caught a post with my handlebars. Went down pretty hard and smacked my head pretty good on the ground. Pulled out.

Oh well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:42 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah biggest thing is pacing yourself. Especially hard in a 24 hr race when some people may be on a 5 person team and racing on the same course. Did a clinic with Helen Wyman the other, and it was pretty great! I'm pretty bummed about not racing a full cx schedule like last year but I think by mid October I can pick up where I left off. I already registered for Providence CX which I love but I have to work a freeride fest at a mountain in NH that weekend. But, I get to ride DH which I've never done!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:38 am 

jordanpattern wrote:
There was definitely no smiling in my race last night. Note to self: don't race in brand new cleats.

What are you running Jordan? I hear a lot of new talk about the new time system but I think im in too deep on the crank bros. Racing this weekend?

fupapack wrote:
Yeah biggest thing is pacing yourself. Especially hard in a 24 hr race when some people may be on a 5 person team and racing on the same course. Did a clinic with Helen Wyman the other, and it was pretty great! I'm pretty bummed about not racing a full cx schedule like last year but I think by mid October I can pick up where I left off. I already registered for Providence CX which I love but I have to work a freeride fest at a mountain in NH that weekend. But, I get to ride DH which I've never done!

Yah I bet its tough when people are doing different events/classes. Good luck on the DH. That stuff looks fun in a brutal way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:19 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Eric. wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

What are you running Jordan? I hear a lot of new talk about the new time system but I think im in too deep on the crank bros. Racing this weekend?

I just use regular SPDs. My old cleats were so worn down that I barely had to do anything to unclip the left foot to dismount. The new cleats require a lot more torque -so much so that I can apparently get stuck!

I'm racing "Ninkrossi" tomorrow - it's a race sponsored by our title sponsor, Ninkasi Brewing. We'll have a keg, which should be fun. There's also a "major hydrologic event" happening in the area this weekend, promising buckets of rain and howling wind. Should be fun!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:14 pm 

jordanpattern wrote:
The new cleats require a lot more torque -so much so that I can apparently get stuck!

Are they adjustable? I feel like my SPDs have been adjusted so that the left was easier to get out of.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:42 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

You can adjust the pedals, so I did that. They were at their loosest setting. The new cleats are just harder to get in and out until they get worn down/broken in a bit.

I'll just ride with them in non-race settings for a bit and then use 'em for racing. Lesson learned!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:14 pm 

jordanpattern wrote:
Eric. wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

I just use regular SPDs. My old cleats were so worn down that I barely had to do anything to unclip the left foot to dismount. The new cleats require a lot more torque -so much so that I can apparently get stuck!

I'm racing "Ninkrossi" tomorrow - it's a race sponsored by our title sponsor, Ninkasi Brewing. We'll have a keg, which should be fun. There's also a "major hydrologic event" happening in the area this weekend, promising buckets of rain and howling wind. Should be fun!

How was the race? never had anything from Ninkasi Brewing before... good stuff?

Did my first Elite A race this weekend and didnt die. pretty happy about that :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:25 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Did you guys hear about Amy Dombroski?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:51 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

wow, holy shiitake.

to save googling for others: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/amy-dom ... e-training

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:58 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah I wasn't sure if it was well known enough outside of my social circle. Really down. I just saw her on Sunday.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:27 am 

Definitely a bummer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:13 am 

usually dont order from nashbar but they have the 'Vittoria Cross XG Pro TNT Cyclocross Tire' on sale for $30 a piece w/ free shipping. Bought a couple to try out tubeless cross for training and maybe racing...

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10 ... viewHeader

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2040 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 82  Next