| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:23 am 
Inflexitarian

Eric. wrote:
damn, that sounds like fun. do you need a license for the event or is it more of a grand-fondo type thing?

Nope! It's broken up by waves. You need a license to be in wave #1, but you don't need one for any of the slower waves. Also, if you were in the top 400 the year before, you can bypass the license requirement for wave #1.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:26 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

just ordered one of these due to the deal... New Garmin video camera usually $400 is $89 at REI (

http://www.rei.com/product/861656/garmi ... ion-camera

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:43 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Product Not Found or Product Number is invalid!

sadness :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:54 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Eric. wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:
I'm a cat 4. I think I'll probably cat up at the end of this season regardless of whether I win or not (you can upgrade from 4 --> 3 on number of races entered), but I would really rather see some success before doing that.

Part of my problem is that I'm a "true climber," (read: I'm small and don't have a very high power output). Courses the cat 4s get to race are usually around 30 miles and have not much climbing, so I don't get to use my best weapon often, which I think has affected my confidence. I've definitely improved my overall strength and ability to motor and attack on flats and rollers and whatever, but I still just can't seem to make a win (or even a podium) happen.

What are most of the races you do up there? 4 only or 3/4? Yah, its always nice to be towards the top before you cat up and get destroyed :D

Are most of the races there RR or crits? In your fields do things stay together until a sprint usually or is it usually a break off the front that wins? Are the same women beating you each race or does it vary?

I do mostly RRs. I hate crits and don't do 'em unless they're in a stage race. Around here, the road races for my category are mostly 30ish miles without much significant climbing. I COULD totally win one, though. I'm at that point where I usually do a fair bit of work, and spend my time animating the pack and making other people hurt. I go back and forth with the ladies who tend to win throughout the race, but when the finish comes, they go for the jugular, and I just kind of let go. I just don't seem to have that killer instinct when it comes down to the finish, or the time to make the jump. I think it's pretty much just a lack of confidence.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:20 pm 

joshua wrote:
Product Not Found or Product Number is invalid!

sadness :(

bleh! those went fast. not sure why they dumped the price on those things!

jordanpattern wrote:
I do mostly RRs. I hate crits and don't do 'em unless they're in a stage race. Around here, the road races for my category are mostly 30ish miles without much significant climbing. I COULD totally win one, though. I'm at that point where I usually do a fair bit of work, and spend my time animating the pack and making other people hurt. I go back and forth with the ladies who tend to win throughout the race, but when the finish comes, they go for the jugular, and I just kind of let go. I just don't seem to have that killer instinct when it comes down to the finish, or the time to make the jump. I think it's pretty much just a lack of confidence.

Haha honestly sounds like me. im pretty terrible at crit and have 0 sprint. in the last couple years I like doing the work but never cared much about trying to win for myself. it sounds like you need to amp yourself up for 1 specific race thats on your schedule and REALLY go for it. pick something that will suit you and put 100% effort into getting the win. If youre hanging with the other women that win then its all a mental game from there and picking the right wheel at the end. If you target a race would you have a teammate or two help you save the legs early on and give you a lead out?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:32 am 
Saggy Butt

Afghan Female Cyclists: Breaking Away, And Breaking Taboos

On one hand, awesome.

On the other hand:

Quote:
She's decked out in wraparound sunglasses and a yellow and black jersey. Her concession to Muslim modesty on this cool spring day is the baseball cap she wears under her helmet to keep her hair in check. Of course, even on the hottest days she's still obliged to cover up in full-length workout togs.

But you have to start somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:55 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

First century of the year is in the books! Well, 98.5 miles, anyway.

This was the same gran fondo my team did last year. Last year, I hung on for dear life while the four stronger girls did the majority of the work. This year, I was the first of my team up the QOM segment (didn't get the QOM, but I think I was 3rd or 4th fastest up the 2.1 mile 8% avg climb, which isn't bad for a cat 4 who was up against a former pro and some strong-ass ladies), and I spent a lot of time pulling.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:23 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

so we have the first of three irish stages of the giro starting in belfast tomorrow and i for one am ridiculously excited. a grand tour two streets away from me is something i didn't think i'd see!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:49 am 

stranger wrote:
so we have the first of three irish stages of the giro starting in belfast tomorrow and i for one am ridiculously excited. a grand tour two streets away from me is something i didn't think i'd see!

hotdamn have fun!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:17 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

SO EXCITING!

I'm looking forward to watching Quintana and Uran duking it out this year. Uran is so dreamy, but Quintana is such an awesome, gutsy climber.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:24 pm 

I'll be quietly cheering for Cadel. as usual. he showed good form during Trentino, which should have him at least close to the podium for the Giro

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:04 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

just back from the presentation at the city hall. hilarious. dreadful, relentless eurobeat. chris juul jensen chewing gum. garmin livetweeting from the stage. everyone with an irish greatgrandparent getting cheered like crazy. ADAM HANSEN. quite the night.

meanwhile it turns out lampre and movistar are in the hotel round the corner. and all the teams have been out smashing everyone's strava records on their training runs. ironically enough, rather than encouraging cycling locally, it may leave a residual mental trauma that ruins it for a generation.

i'm joking. obv.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:02 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Ha! Living in the Bay Area, that was a real hazard. You'd do a great run up some hill, then some pro would come into town for TOC or Sea Otter or something, and your QOM would suddenly be lost... by 25 minutes. ;)

Also, ADAM HANSEN! Swoon.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:29 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

stranger wrote:
and all the teams have been out smashing everyone's strava records on their training runs.

That is hysterical! Love it.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:15 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

DAN MARTIN!!! NO!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:47 pm 

yep :( poor bloke's had a rough time of late. stoked for the OGE lads though - they've had an amazing fortnight

let the real fun begin!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:47 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Oh man, such a rough looking crash. :(

Well done by the Omega Pharma Quickstep boys, though. I think that's a much better showing than people were expecting of them.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:06 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

just watched the peloton head out on stage 2 in the rain at the top of the antrim road. lead car had pulled away, the break just starting. all was spray and that sound of expensive bicycles. the sight of a grand tour on the road. me grinning and shouting like a fool.

also got to ride home under the 1k to go gantry and the flamme rouge at peter's hill. just started laughing.

shower and coffee now then into town for the sprint finish later.

exciting.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:34 pm 

I am getting back on my bike tomorrow. I did a hard hike today and I realize my quads need work and that it is time. So silly-happy about this! Yay bikes!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:42 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Indeed!

I did a 44-mile hilly circuit race today. It's part of a women's competition, so the field was pretty stacked with strong ladies. As always seems to happen, the break happened just as I was finishing a pull. I didn't have enough left to stay with the break. I tried to bridge with a couple ladies who I knew wouldn't be a threat at the end, but gave it up pretty quickly because two teammates were up the road. I ended up in a chase group that started as 8, and then we shelled 3 people. Two of the girls were my teammates, and the other two WOULD. NOT. WORK. Like, at all. My strong teammate and I sat up for a bit to give the break a chance, and then we decided that if the slackers weren't going to work, they were sure as hell going to suffer. I hammered up the hills, and my teammate railed the descents. The two barely hung on, and we could tell they were toasted. The finish was an uphill sprint, and my teammate attacked at 3k to go. She stayed away, but I almost caught her at the line. I won the "bunch" sprint, which was satisfying given that I'd done so much work, and the lame-os who just sat in got left in the dust. I got 6th, which I'm pleased with.

Also, who's watching the women's circuit race at TOC tomorrow? I'm SO excited for it! My friend races for Optum, and she'll be there!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:42 pm 

jordanpattern wrote:
women's circuit race at TOC tomorrow?

I can't figure out if I have the channel to record it. Do you think it is lumped in with a Stage?

Congrats on your sprint!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:20 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I don't know if it's being televised, but I'll be watching via the Tour Tracker: http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/co ... mens-races (there's a link in there to the live coverage). Warning: last year, the coverage of the women's TT cut out at the end, and it was lame. I think they caught enough shiitake for it that this year, that should not be an issue.

Cheer for Brie Walle if you watch! ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:37 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
I just bought this today to replace my last stolen bike. Its color scheme is amazing (can you say Miami Vice???)

Except it has a drop bar conversion. Can someone tell me the benefit to such a thing as opposed to regular handlebars?

edit - and no I'm not going to paint it. Teal and pink..lets get a drink!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:59 pm 

Your bike is so rad, Adam!
The drops are nice for a good back stretch and also for windy days. For around town, just use the tops.

I'll ride my purple bike and . . .I don't have a rhyme for that! But it is getting to be bike-to-the-bar time of the year!

Thanks, JoPa -- I'll check the link. I should have thought of that!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:09 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
FYI Sz

https://www.facebook.com/events/1445941 ... r=upcoming

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next