| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:48 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I got a new bike! It's a bit too small, but it was free.
new bike!

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:47 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Catalina wrote:
Today was perfect. My winter bike is done for the season and my Surly is back out. I forgot how much better it is to ride a bike that fits. Even though it's supposed to snow in a few days I know spring is right around the corner.

what surly? ive been itching for a xcheck for a while :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:09 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

free bike! Outstanding!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:34 am 
Shopped till she dropped

The weather here has been soooooo nice. I'm so incredibly jealous of all the bikes out lately. I haven't been on my bike since October. I had some surgery that resulted in nerve damage. While I'm definitely getting better, my shoulder is still not strong enough to ride. I'm seriously thinking about getting a trainer, since I'd be able to keep the weight/pressure off my shoulder better. Plus...not biking everywhere, every day has seriously affected my body. I used to have pretty awesome calves and quads. Not any more.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:42 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Eric. wrote:
Catalina wrote:
Today was perfect. My winter bike is done for the season and my Surly is back out. I forgot how much better it is to ride a bike that fits. Even though it's supposed to snow in a few days I know spring is right around the corner.

what surly? ive been itching for a xcheck for a while :)

I have a Cross Check. It's the love of my bicycling life. If you lived near me I would make you ride it so you might feel the love. Sometimes I feel like a Surly pusher since I go on and on about how perfect it is for me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:49 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I went out on a ride today with Maygles! It was only 7 or 8 miles, but it was a good gauge of what I can do. We're going to do a 25 mile ride sometime soonish. I love riding my bike.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:02 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

jordanpattern wrote:
I went out on a ride today with Maygles! It was only 7 or 8 miles, but it was a good gauge of what I can do. We're going to do a 25 mile ride sometime soonish. I love riding my bike.

Super funsies!! :) I am down anytime you are!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:28 am 

Catalina wrote:
I have a Cross Check. It's the love of my bicycling life. If you lived near me I would make you ride it so you might feel the love. Sometimes I feel like a Surly pusher since I go on and on about how perfect it is for me.

Ive been itching for a cross-check for a while now. Im on a hunt to find a used one but no luck thus far. Did you size down a frame since they run longer top tubes?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:50 am 

Eric. wrote:
Ive been itching for a cross-check for a while now. Im on a hunt to find a used one but no luck thus far. Did you size down a frame since they run longer top tubes?

No, we just tweaked some other areas. I know several people with them so I tested a range of sizes and ended up with a 56cm, the 54cm felt cramped to me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:56 am 

Catalina wrote:
Eric. wrote:

No, we just tweaked some other areas. I know several people with them so I tested a range of sizes and ended up with a 56cm, the 54cm felt cramped to me.

got yah. what kind of inseam do you have and how tall are you? I usually ride a 56cm so im a bit curious :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:19 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I got a bike last month and have been trying to ride it everywhere-I do a round trip of 22-25 miles a couple times a week. I'm trying to keep it clean, but I have a feeling I"m going to have to fix the gears at some point, since it's still quite winter-y here and the bike is suffering a bit because of it, even as I clean the salt off of it as much as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:04 pm 

Eric. wrote:
got yah. what kind of inseam do you have and how tall are you? I usually ride a 56cm so im a bit curious :)

I'm 5'11 and honestly I'm not quite sure of my inseam. Maybe 33 or 34?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Finally fixed my flat, and cleaned my nice bike while I was at it, and it felt soooo gooood to get back on her today, so zippy and light! (I was riding my 'beater' bike while I was being lazy about buying a new inner tube). I was telling her how fine she looked and how good she felt. I WAS TALKING TO MY BIKE THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT. I am officially crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:45 pm 

maygles wrote:
Finally fixed my flat, and cleaned my nice bike while I was at it, and it felt soooo gooood to get back on her today, so zippy and light! (I was riding my 'beater' bike while I was being lazy about buying a new inner tube). I was telling her how fine she looked and how good she felt. I WAS TALKING TO MY BIKE THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT. I am officially crazy.

not crazy! I just got my good bike fixed after weeks of putting it off (I don't know why, I just needed a new bolt for my click box, it only took 5 minutes to do) and rode that instead of my old bike whose wheel is not round for the first time in almost a month today. It was so great! I forgot how nice my newer bike is to ride.

I have to complain about my bike shop experience for a minute though. The person who reattached my click box asked if I wanted a new chain guard, as mine cracked and I had to take it off a little while ago. (he was like, then you won't have to worry about getting your pant leg dirty or having to wear a band around your leg. Pfff, like I can keep any pair of pants clean for more than 3 weeks anyway, or am even concerned about doing so! But I do like not having to clean my chain as often.

I decided to go for the new chain guard, which was 25 bucks, and then he told me installation would be another 25 bucks since he'd have to take the bottom bracket off to install it. Well, I just got a set of bike tools for Christmas, so I decided to just buy the chain guard and install it myself. Then bike guy got all suspicious, and was trying to talk me out of it because it would be too complicated and I'd need all these special tools. I told him I had some tools, and that I figured if I started and ended up not having everything I needed, I could just go to west town (a community bike repair place that has open shop hours.) He was still super skeptical and told me I shouldn't even attempt it unless I had a bottom bracket tool and a crank puller. He even pulled these tools off the shelf as he was telling me, and I'm not sure if that was so that I could buy them if I didn't have them or because he assumed I wouldn't know which tools he was talking about. I do have both of these tools, and I mentioned that I had just finished an overhaul class at west town so I felt that it wouldn't be a big deal to do this myself, but he still had to tell me to be really careful putting it back together, and still looked dubious when I left the shop. So obnoxious, I've been bothered by this interaction all day.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:32 am 

I'm sure he's had to deal with people buying stuff and attempting to fix it themselves when they aren't capable. I'm not insinuating you're not capable - you sound like you would know how to put on a chain guard or at least know to attempt it and if it didn't work out right take it somewhere to get it fixed. My boyfriend is a bike mechanic and honestly a lot of people try to fix their own bikes, screw up, then come in and complain. I'm not defending your mechanic - he could just think you're a girl and don't know how to do stuff and then we should gang up and kick him in the balls. But maybe he's had to deal with some not-so-competent customers before. Of course I wasn't there so I don't know what kind of tone he was using, but I listen to stories about homemade repair jobs gone wrong all the time so he might have just been speaking from his experience. I hope your chain guard assembly goes well, it feels good to take care of bikes yourself.
(ETA: I really hope I don't sound like I think you are incompetent in any way because that's not what I meant at all.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:40 am 

Yeah I agree. Bike shop employees/mechanics usually talk to customers like they havnt a clue, because most the time they don’t. Unless the shop knows you, i think that how it usually goes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ugh. Got soaked everywhere my jacket wasn't covering this morning. Rainpants have been ordered. Someone bring me some dry pants!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:50 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

West town is so amazing. Can I ask what bike shop you were at?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:02 pm 

maygles wrote:
Ugh. Got soaked everywhere my jacket wasn't covering this morning. Rainpants have been ordered. Someone bring me some dry pants!

what did you order?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

The North American Handmade Bike Show is this weekend. I'm pumped!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:41 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Eric. wrote:
maygles wrote:

what did you order?

These: http://www.rei.com/product/795099

If you sign up for the REI email newsletter they email you a coupon for 15% off!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:44 pm 
A Bad Person

maygles wrote:
Eric. wrote:
maygles wrote:

what did you order?

If you sign up for the REI email newsletter they email you a coupon for 15% off!

I could totally use a pair of those. I got a good case of wet asscrack yesterday because I didn't heed the weather forecast.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:08 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

brian wrote:
maygles wrote:
Eric. wrote:

what did you order?

I could totally use a pair of those. I got a good case of wet asscrack yesterday because I didn't heed the weather forecast.

I think there's a similar dude's pair. Or, you know, if you want to rock the ladypants, that's cool too! But yeah, I anticipated less rain today (ie: I did not think there would be like a cup of water sloshing around my asscrack by the time I got to work...blerg).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:04 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I want to go for a ride, so bad but much as I *have* ridden in the snow, I don't like to when I don't have to... And there's TOTALLY SNOW ON THE GROUND here... (which is rare).

I'm pondering getting a trainer, does anyone have one? Tips? Ideas? Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:20 pm 

Right on. Ive got some snow-ish pants from back when I was a kid that I sometimes run. Tomorrows suppose to be tons of rain and 40F, so its got me thinking of other alternatives.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 81  Next