| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2052 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:03 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

congrats! hopefully you get the win on the next one. pretty sweet you all are able to race in the city. more than jealous about that :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:32 am 

that stage yesterday.... ohhie!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:29 am 

everyone gearing up for cross? still need to actually put my bike together... then glue up some wheels/tires

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:15 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Sort of? I'm actually kind of trying to salvage my road season by getting in some of the long miles I missed out on earlier on this year due to being sick. I'm going to do some cross races, but I'm not going to take it very seriously after the asparagus kicking I was dealt last year. Oregon cross races are really technical, and they're just not my thing. I plan on riding out to lots of races, then using the race itself as an interval.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:46 pm 
Dead by dawn

Riding my first century tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:16 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Go get it, MToes! Bring lots of food!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:27 pm 
Dead by dawn

I made it! It would have been a whole lot prettier if it wasn't for the mother forking rain. I had about 18 miles where it stopped and I dried out, only to have it start dumping again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:29 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Well, my dick finally stopped being numb a week after my 30 mile bike ride. Since I have purchased a new seat, very padded bike shorts, and adjusted my handlebars up some. Another week to fully recoup and I should be back on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:35 am 

jordanpattern wrote:
Sort of? I'm actually kind of trying to salvage my road season by getting in some of the long miles I missed out on earlier on this year due to being sick. I'm going to do some cross races, but I'm not going to take it very seriously after the asparagus kicking I was dealt last year. Oregon cross races are really technical, and they're just not my thing. I plan on riding out to lots of races, then using the race itself as an interval.

ahh bummer! id bet theres a steep learning curve to racing up there with all the people, courses, and way they do things. i always enjoy hearing about the cx races you do up there.

monkeytoes wrote:
I made it! It would have been a whole lot prettier if it wasn't for the mother forking rain. I had about 18 miles where it stopped and I dried out, only to have it start dumping again.

not a fun way to do your 1st 100miler. congrats!

Adam Crisis wrote:
Well, my dick finally stopped being numb a week after my 30 mile bike ride. Since I have purchased a new seat, very padded bike shorts, and adjusted my handlebars up some. Another week to fully recoup and I should be back on.

hah been there before... saddle + position!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:07 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Badass ride today! I've always wanted to do this climb up into our local mountains (heh, hills, whatev. Not sea level). Anyway, it was always this big thing in my head. Then a friend proposed the ride and we went for it!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/584378044

Slow, but steady. Killer uphill, killer downhill. And, to top it all off, a thick and brutal thunderstorm that soaked us to the bone. Bike is very shiny now. 7 more miles to make it a loop. Next time!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:36 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Awesome! That looks like a rad climb!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:30 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Badazzes! Could I bother you for an opinion? I'm going to look at this tomorrow, and see if it fits/I can lift it. I'm just wondering if it's a decent bike? It seems like a good one, but I probably just think that because it's French. My bike was stolen out of my landlords garage. I haven't been riding in a while, but of course now I really want to. I'm hoping this will be light enough that I can just carry it upstairs. My old bike was a hybrid, and it was a beast of a thing.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/4657133813.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:09 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

How tall are you? Lots of bikes that are advertised/marketed as "size small" or similar are really only sized small for men. If you're 5'5 to 5'7 or so, that frame size should probably work, but if you're much shorter than that, it might feel too big, so pay attention for that when you test ride it.

The frame itself looks pretty decent, but the components could be pretty clapped out. It's hard to tell from the photos, but I do notice the chain and cassette are pretty dirty looking, which could be a sign of poor maintenance, or could just be a dirty chain. I would ask about the tires, specifically how old they are. I'd also feel them to see if they have that hardened old rubber feel. The other thing is that I'd test out all three of the chainrings in the front. It looks like a pretty big gearing, so if you struggle on hills or when you have to get going after a stop light or whatever, that could be a pain in the asparagus for you.

The thing about bikes like this is that they can be great, or, if the components are all worn out, they can be a lot of trouble. $250 is a decent deal if everything on the bike is well maintained, and you don't have to replace or upgrade much, but if you're looking at putting on new tires, new brakes/brake pads, new shifters or derailleurs or whatever, that stuff will pretty quickly double (or more) the cost of the bike.

I'm not super knowledgeable about this stuff, but those are the things that stand out to me. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:10 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Oh, and in other news, I got my road upgrade and am now a cat 3. I was going to do it on points, but my season this year just didn't work out the way I wanted, so I submitted my application on number of completed races (which you can do for a cat 4 --> cat 3 upgrade), and I was approved. It's going to be SO hard, but I think I'd prefer to get dropped by super fast ladies than continue riding in the sketchy cat 4s, even if I'm much more competitive in that field.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:20 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

ndpittman wrote:
I'm just wondering if it's a decent bike?

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/4657133813.html

I like the geometry and I love vintage bikes, but there are issues with older models. For instance, when swapping out a worn chain it's usually a good idea to swap the chain rings as well. Mine has this weird Biopace setup which I love, but I won't be doing any swapping anytime soon, so it's not the smoothest ride in the world and I won't take it long, long distances.

Also, you'll probably want to change out the seat, and maybe the handlebars, so at that point, you might be just as well with a new bike in the $500-$600 range.

That said, if you love the feel of it, there is a lot of value to be had in a used bike, but rarely can they be ridden as-is.

Oh! Another thing about my old bike is that the rims make it super hard to change flats. Conversely, my modern road bike is easy peasy, since that's probably one of the things that has changed over the years.

It's definitely worth checking out. I do love my old bike, downtube shifters and all, and I've put some miles on the old girl.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:54 pm 

Thank you so much jordanpattern and ~Sz! I'm only 5'2", and I'm used to step thru bikes, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get on it. The ad does say that it was recently restored and reconditioned, but ads can say a lot of things. I know I'd definitely want to swap out the handlebars. I didn't think much about the other components though. A friend recommended a Trek Chelsea 8, so if this doesn't work, I may be saving up for that.

Congrats on the upgrade, jp!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:00 pm 

ndpittman wrote:

Unfortunately alot of those older steel frames are very heavy, so lifting them up multiple flights of stairs everyday isnt a great option. Depending on your price range id look at something newer that aluminum. if you can pull off a single speed (not sure how the hills around where you live are) you can ditch weight and cost.

jordanpattern wrote:
Oh, and in other news, I got my road upgrade and am now a cat 3. I was going to do it on points, but my season this year just didn't work out the way I wanted, so I submitted my application on number of completed races (which you can do for a cat 4 --> cat 3 upgrade), and I was approved. It's going to be SO hard, but I think I'd prefer to get dropped by super fast ladies than continue riding in the sketchy cat 4s, even if I'm much more competitive in that field.

Nice! congrats on the upgrade. Do you notice a huge variance in speed from the cat4 to the 3/4 races around you?

It was the first cross race of the season around us and my first go at doing the Mens Elite UCI race. I got destroyed :D

Video from the 1st lap:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:31 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Eric. wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:

Nice! congrats on the upgrade. Do you notice a huge variance in speed from the cat4 to the 3/4 races around you?

Thanks! There's a fairly big jump. The races around here are pretty much always cat 1/2/3, then cat 4/5. I've done a few races where the cat 4s raced with the senior women, and depending on the course, I can hang okay. It's kind of almost apples and oranges, though, since the senior races are sort of faster, but also sort of not, because they're much longer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:23 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Also, Eric, that video is rad! That course looks super fun!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:06 am 

jordanpattern wrote:
Thanks! There's a fairly big jump. The races around here are pretty much always cat 1/2/3, then cat 4/5. I've done a few races where the cat 4s raced with the senior women, and depending on the course, I can hang okay. It's kind of almost apples and oranges, though, since the senior races are sort of faster, but also sort of not, because they're much longer.

ahh didnt realize that! yah i bet theres a huge jump to the 1/2/3 race. Are most of your team mates in the 1/2/3 race? also i didnt realize the NW has a women's 5 category. around here women start as cat4's and there are sometimes 4 only, or 3/4 then 1/2/3 races.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:49 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

or sometimes on the east coast you have to race womens' open where they put pro-4 all together, yay!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:26 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

ndpittman, that isn't a triple it's a double and coupled with that cassette it will not be a climber.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:26 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

fupapack wrote:
or sometimes on the east coast you have to race womens' open where they put pro-4 all together, yay!

They do that here sometimes too. I actually often prefer those races, since it prevents the kind of bullshittery that happens in cat 4/5 only fields.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:17 pm 

Thanks for the advice everyone! I tried it out, but it just didn't feel right. I didn't try it on any hills, but it felt a little tall for me, but also the length front the seat to the handle bars seemed short. I don't know if that's in my head though. I think I'm going to wait a while and save money, then go to look at new bikes. I really, really appreciate the advice though!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:38 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I wish I still worked in Boston I'd help you out!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2052 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next