| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Push up help!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:06 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I recently started a new work out regime (ok it's a video game work out) and it calls for numerous reps of push ups... which I cannot do.

Can everyone just do push ups? Or are there ways to learn/train you muscles to be able to do push ups?

I know I can lift my body weight because I have lifted weights/objects of similar mass, I just cannot seem to do so in push up form.

What have folks done when they first started out to get them to the push up point?

Post subject: Re: Push up help!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:50 am 
Nailed to the V

Are you trying to do the full pushups where you are on your toes? Those are super hard, especially when you're just starting. I recommend the modified pushups where you are on your knees. Even those are hard if you're really trying to go all the way down and not cheat. I feel like I never get better at pushups no matter what, and I work out a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:01 am 
Saggy Butt

Yup push-ups can be hard to get started with, even if you are strong. Starting with knee push-ups and doing other core strength exercises helps me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:07 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

So the proper push-up form is with your upper arms close to your torso, at a 45 degree angle from your body at most, not sticking out at a right angle. Think Chaturanga Dandasana in yoga. The latter, which is what you see in the movies because it's easier, can cause shoulder injuries in the long run (or so my physio tells me). Even knee push ups can be hard with this proper form, as it places a lot of weight on the triceps which are typically undertrained.

I would recommend starting with wall push ups. Start vertical, arm length away from the wall, engage your core and glutes to form a plank, and slowly lower yourself towards the wall, elbows pointing down. Even that can feel like a workout. To increase the difficulty, take a step away from the wall.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:57 am 
Nailed to the V

aelle wrote:
I would recommend starting with wall push ups. Start vertical, arm length away from the wall, engage your core and glutes to form a plank, and slowly lower yourself towards the wall, elbows pointing down. Even that can feel like a workout. To increase the difficulty, take a step away from the wall.

This.

To increase difficulty slowly you can later switch your arms to something lower than the wall, but not on floor level yet. Like, maybe first the back of a chair, then eventually the seat of the chair, or bed etc. I find kneeling pushups hard, even after working on my arms for a while and I cannot imagine doing regular ones any time in the near future.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:19 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yah, I'm guessing it's a specific muscle set, I wonder if there are any weight lifts that could work the same muscle group.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:21 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I could never do even 1 full push-up. Then, a few years ago, I did a 5-week core fusion challenge which included lots of yoga. By the end of the 5 weeks, I could do 4-5 full push-ups. I was amazed. Of course, when I slack on yoga for long periods of time (not big on strength training), I lose my ability to do full push-ups.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:45 pm 
Dead by dawn

B_A_D wrote:
Yah, I'm guessing it's a specific muscle set, I wonder if there are any weight lifts that could work the same muscle group.

Yeah, for me it was way more about getting those muscles to fire together than it was about getting stronger. I did knee pushups and wall pushups and lots and lots of planks until I could do them off my toes, but when it all fell into place I went from not even really being able to do one to being able to do 15 all at once. (I'm sure I'm back to square one since I haven't been doing them in forever.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:45 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I can do 2 wobbly push ups!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:52 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

Here's a great routine that starts with wall push ups.
http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/push-u ... ssion.html

I guess you don't have to go all the way to those decline one arm push ups though:)

I started doing push ups sort of regularly in January. At that time I could do about 10 knee push ups. Now I can do 4-5 "real" push ups. So 2 wobbly push ups sounds good!