| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: lower back pain and running
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:17 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Hello! I'm just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this. I'm a fairly new runner (been into it for about a year), and in the last couple of months have noticed that when I run more than 5 miles at a stretch I come away with dull pain/stiffness in my lower back that lasts for days. Admittedly, I don't do much in the way of cross-training other than an occasional yoga class. I have cut back on my running this month but I plan to amp it up again to train for the knoxville half marathon starting in a couple of weeks. Right now I only run 3 miles 3 or 4 times a week, but my back pain is starting up again! I work an office job, but am still pretty young (27). Anyone have any experience with this? I don't strike with my heel when I run. I do plan on seeing a Dr. in the next few weeks, but I'm just trying to see if you all have any advice or ideas. Could it be something as simple as poor core-conditioning?

Post subject: Re: lower back pain and running
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:50 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

papercuts wrote:
Could it be something as simple as poor core-conditioning?

That's what I thought when I read the subject line and I bet that's the problem - it's the reason for lower back pain in many non-runners too.

You don't even have to do a lot to help fix the problem (if that's the reason). 2-3 short sessions of abdominal exercises a week and you should be good.

Learn how to do a pelvic tilt, too. Keeeping your torso in line when you run will help prevent back pain. One of the best tips I ever read for running is to think of a string going through your head down the back of your neck to your tailbone. Then imagine someone is pulling gently on the string so your back straightens. This does a number of things for your running form but it also keeps you from pushing your stomach forward and sticking your butt back, which puts strain on your lower back.

Post subject: Re: lower back pain and running
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Make sure you have good, properly fitting shoes, too!